Wheel Of Fortune: I'd Like To Buy A Vowel

• Please log in to reply

812 replies to this topic

absolutme

absolutme

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

If you include the final prize, they won $30,000 each. That's pretty sweet. I liked the girl she made me smile when ever they won.

hcwoodward

hcwoodward

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

I couldn't believe those two guys (to be fair, it could've been just one of them) kept shouting out additional letters during the final puzzle. I loved how Pat tried to not sound frustrated and then finally just ignored them when they kept guessing letters. It was one of the more surreal WoF moments I've ever seen...

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

Great Pat line--"That's not how it works" after the second time they tried shouting out a letter. You could almost hear the implied "Don't you watch this show, moron?" I'd like to see Pat go down on someone, actually.

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

I don't think the boys have watched too many shows of WoF before signing up either. On Monday, they had another team of boys with EXACTLY the same problem: yelling out another letter after being told their first choice wasn't there. And besides Pat's
verbal zinging, they're just gonna be picked on at school big time for the rest of the year. For the teenage winners, however, they're getting beaucoup bucks for their age.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 7:55 PM

Did anyone see last night's episode? When the person in the second spot said that Pluto was the closest planet to the sun, I wanted to crawl under my couch and hide. Then when she yelled, "Mars! No Saturn!" I just yelled at her to stop. Mercury was her 4th choice. [grandma voice] But she seemed like such a nice young lady. She was so full of life. [/grandma voice]

TimeWise Addict

TimeWise Addict

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 9:03 AM

Was it Tuesday's episode where the unbelievably lucky woman was guessing? I didn't want her to win because she's a stage mom, but man, she had over $48,000 before the final puzzle! My cousin and I kept thinking, "This is unbelievable! Something stop her!"

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 1:21 AM

I stopped watching WoF a while ago, because I can't stand the mostly stupid contestants and plastic Vanna. But I've always had a secret sicko thing for Pat Sajak, and I used to watch ages ago.

My question is, how many years ago did they change the format from the contestant "going shopping" each round, to cash instead? Also, this was when it was daytime show, did it used to be an hour? Because I can't imagine there would have been enough time to play and shop several times in just a half hour.

I used to be a real game show junky in the summers I'd watch this crap all day. My two favorite old shows were Concentration with Bill Cullen and Password with Allen Ludden.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

I've been watching "Wheel" since I was grade school age (I'm now 30), and I don't ever recall it being an hour. Of course, I didn't watch the daytime version in its later years so I can't say for sure. Still, I doubt it.

Shopping for prizes was done away with in the late 1980's (on the evening version, at least). I remember it well -- it started as "cash month", and was obviously so well-received that they never went back.

Now, here's my rant for the week. They're in summer reruns now, which they only do 3 months out of the year, so with 9 months of shows to select from, why are they airing episodes from less than 2 months ago? That's almost as bad as David Letterman's reruns.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

Also, this was when it was daytime show, did it used to be an hour? Because I can't imagine there would have been enough time to play and shop several times in just a half hour.

Back in those days, the puzzles tended to be shorter, they didn't have as many things to plug, and I have a feeling the amount of commercials NBC put in during the show in the late '70s/early '80s was less than they have during the syndicated show now.

The daytime show was briefly expanded to an hour as an experiment, not too long after it premiered in 1975 (we're talking just a few weeks before it went back to a half hour). NBC was trying to compete with a game show on CBS that was being expanded to an hour, something called "The Price Is Right."

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:08 PM

Also, this was when it was daytime show, did it used to be an hour? Because I can't imagine there would have been enough time to play and shop several times in just a half hour.

Also, remember, they used to only do three or maybe four puzzles in that 1/2 hour with no end "bonus" puzzle.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

Stupidest. Puzzle. Ever.

Thursday's episode (a rerun from November's "New York Week")

The category: Before & After (natch)

The puzzle: MY FATHER IS HALF IRISH SETTER

What exactly were the writers smoking when they decided this was a good puzzle? If I was playing, I'd have happily guessed a wrong letter so as to avoid saying this out loud!

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2004 @ 8:18 PM

"Before and After" puzzles are ridiculously retarded.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 6:49 PM

Yeah, I remember watching WoF in the 80s and they had to buy their prizes using their winnings. "Today you'll spend your winnings in our living room." "I'll take the mounted fish statue for $200". Ugh. What crap. But it was fun to see all the prizes.

I also am very nostalgic thinking of the time when Pat would introduce "your hostess, Vanna WHITE!!!!!!" and she would come out and do this little spin. My mom always did the spin when Vanna spun, and it always cracked me up.

I've only recently started watching the show again, and in contrast to what many of you think, I think that on the whole the contestants are so much smarter than they used to be. Some of the people back in the day were STOOO-pid. Now, occasionally you get some dumb ones but many of them seem pretty sharp.

As far as mispronunciations, I remember one show way back when the guy couldn't pronounce "Martina Navratilova". I think he said something like "Na-vera-tih-law-va". They buzzed him, and the next person got the money. Harsh.

Leaper

Leaper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2004 @ 1:07 AM

For all the (justified) mentions of bad players, there are sometimes people who take my breath away with either their luck or word skill.

The one I'll never forget was a college student who solved the following bonus puzzle for a new car (or was it two?). This, according to Pat at the end, was the classic example of the value of "talking out the puzzle." I would NEVER have gotten it, never mind in ten seconds. Would you?

_ _
_ _ _ T
TO
_ O _

PHRASE

RSTLN E
CDP O

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

"My gift to you". But I'll admit, it took me a lot longer than 10 seconds!

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

I also am very nostalgic thinking of the time when Pat would introduce "your hostess, Vanna WHITE!!!!!!" and she would come out and do this little spin.

Word, and do you also remember the song that went with it? "I'm the wheel watcher, I'm the wheel watcher..." something like that? Anyone? Nana?

Ivana Tinkle

Ivana Tinkle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 3:40 PM

Does anyone wonder if Pat gets pissed off at people these days for the same dumb mistakes?? I mean, this game has been on for what, ten or more years? Does he really need to keep reminding people to "Watch the arrow in front of them". I dunno, I understand nervousness but I would just be so frustrated. Like when people call letters again right after someone just called it, or say they'll buy a vowel and then call out a consanant. Pay the fuck attention!!

Just had to vent.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 4:31 PM

I get a little annoyed when, in the final round, the contestant spins the wheel for the prize envelope, the spinner stops on an envelope, Pat points at the envelope it has landed on, his fingers very close to said envelope, and asks the contestant to hand him the envelope. I keep on expecting a contestant to bust out in "You get it, bastard!" Lazy bum.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 5:12 PM

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it has more to do with Standards & Practices than Pat being lazy. In order to prove there's no funny business or fixing going on they have the contestant take the envelope themselves and physically hand it to Pat.

Dbonz

Dbonz

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 5:27 PM

Thanks a lot Lacke Bo Backe, now I cant get that damn "I'm a wheel watcher" song out of my head! I love seeing Vanna with the 80's poofy hair and poufy dresses...good times.

Why don't they go way back and show the ones with Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford?

Edited by Dbonz, Jul 27, 2004 @ 5:56 PM.

Arista DePaolo

Arista DePaolo

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 5:28 PM

I watched Wheel of Fortune whenever I am at my Grandma's or Aunt and Uncle's house. Never when I'm at home alone. I don't know, but it's just one of those shows you watch with other people, especially your family.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

Can I tell you guys something? Sometimes when a contestant wins a lot of money and prizes and they are overwhelmed and grateful, I get kind of [small voice]choked up [/small voice]. Of course, these are usually also the weeks where I eat chocolate, cry at Tracy Chapman songs and retain water. But I digress...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that it has more to do with Standards & Practices than Pat being lazy. In order to prove there's no funny business or fixing going on they have the contestant take the envelope themselves and physically hand it to Pat.

ITA. Gotta protect WoF's ass.

Thanks a lot Lacke Bo Backe, now I cant get that damn "I'm a wheel watcher" song out of my head!

Doh! I'm sorry. Accept my apologies, please, and hand me that envelope while you are at it.

Dbonz

Dbonz

Posted Jul 27, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

Hey Leaper, that puzzle was on tonight! Everyone thought I was a genius thanks to you!

eta and Blackwing too!

Edited by Dbonz, Jul 29, 2004 @ 8:35 PM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Ah, that makes more sense.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

The girl on yesterday's college ep got the last puzzle solved with few letters filled in. I believe it only had T & O filled in. She yelled out "My Gift To You" with seconds to spare and got her prize. Pat was like "How did you get that?" in this kind of smarmy tone. Who cares? I was happy for her.

ETA: Adding spoiler tags because I saw Leaper's post.
Once again ETA: Taking them out because I saw blackwing's post. I can't read today, can I?

Edited by RealChic1999, Jul 28, 2004 @ 2:47 PM.

Leaper

Leaper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2004 @ 11:59 PM

Dbonz: Heh, glad to be of assistance. :)

I'm glad it was rerun, though; that was definitely one of the most impressive bonus wins I've ever seen.

ubi

ubi

Posted Aug 8, 2004 @ 11:38 PM

The category: Before & After (natch)

The puzzle: MY FATHER IS HALF IRISH SETTER

Huh? I don't get it.

SweetMisery

SweetMisery

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2004 @ 12:10 AM

Huh? I don't get it.

I think it's My Father is Half-Irish/Irish Setter

ubi

ubi

Posted Aug 9, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

Ohhh, the puzzle is two phrases which overlap.
Gawd, that's lame.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

That's been my opinion of the category all along, Ubi. Certain puzzles like that one stand out even more because how many people actually say "My father is half-irish" in regular conversation?

On another topic, did anyone feel sorry for that woman the other night who, during the bonus round, called no less than 4 out of the 6 letters that they give to you (R,S,T,L,N,E)?