Wheel Of Fortune: I'd Like To Buy A Vowel

• Please log in to reply

819 replies to this topic

DKGoinToNW

DKGoinToNW

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

My favorite all-time goof was a few years ago when a woman (a very LOUD woman, I might add) had the category "place" and had "BR_NS_N, MISS__RI," with (obviously) only vowels left, and this woman decided to solve. She said, screaming, "BRONSON, MISSOURI, YAAAAYYYYYY!"

There was dead silence for two seconds before Pat was like, "Um, no, I'm sorry, that's wrong." It was hilarious. And, as annoying as the woman was, after the round, she almost totally redeemed herself my joking, "Oh, that was just my occent."

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2004 @ 10:35 PM

There was an idiot tonight in the final puzzle who, after Pat spun the wheel to speed up the round, kept on guessing vowels even though only a few consonants had been guessed and he had no money at all up to that point. I wanted him to correctly answer the puzzle and for Pat to say to him, "Congratulations, in that round you won... no money!"

Weird thing was, though, even though the guy won no money in any of the puzzles at all, he ended up taking $500 home. Huh? Does everyone go home with a minimum of $500 now? And what happens if they win under $500 in a puzzle? Do they get bumped up to $500, or stay with the measly amount that they won?

AbrilOrchid

AbrilOrchid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2004 @ 12:27 AM

Does everyone go home with a minimum of $500 now? And what happens if they win under $500 in a puzzle? Do they get bumped up to $500, or stay with the measly amount that they won?

Yes, and yes. If someone ends up with no money (haven't won any rounds) WoF gives them $500 instead of some rinky-dink "parting gifts." Also, if someone only wins say $250, Pat announces they have a "house minimum of $500."

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

Huh. Interesting how many changes they've made to WoF over the years. There was also a random ringing noise at the beginning of a puzzle last night, and Pat said that the winner of the puzzle got an extra dollar amount in addition to the amount that they won. WTF? Let's just give away money, shall we?

Heh, "parting gifts." When I was little, I always thought they were saying "partying gifts."

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

The "random ringing noise" could have been one of two things. If there's a ringing at the start of the round, that means it's a "prize puzzle". This means that whoever wins the puzzle wins an extra prize, usually a trip. If there's a ringing after the puzzle is solved, usually that means there's a "bonus question" where answering correctly can win them an extra $3,000.

The parade of idiot players continued this week. The puzzle was "ARM & HAMMER BAKING SODA". Hardly any letters in "baking soda" were turned, but the first 3 words read "_RM & H_MMER" and this lady guessed a "U". Now come on, granted she may not have known the last 2 words, but what did she think the first part was -- "URM & HUMMER"???????

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 8:39 AM

Final Puzzle:

It's a phrase

PROOF POS_T_ _E

Gee, what could that be?

Contestant Nick didn't know.

Zunnieflower

Zunnieflower

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

PROOF POS_T_ _E

Hey now, that one was kind of tough. I, like him, could only see postage in my head.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

First time poster, long time lurker. I love Wheel of Fortune and was just wondering if anyone else thinks there's too much shit on the wheel these days? If it's not a Mystery $500 black space, it's a random trip or some jewels or a promotion for some product. Not enough cash! Bring back the cash!

Also wondering if anyone has seen someone win $100,000 in the bonus round? It seems like it never happens. Before I die, I'd like to see it - just once.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 5:35 PM

Also wondering if anyone has seen someone win $100,000 in the bonus round? It seems like it never happens. Before I die, I'd like to see it - just once.

It's happened a couple of times. Considering it's a 1-in-24 shot of the wheel landing on it, it's not going to happen very often. I think it's been landed on around 10 or so times, but only won 2-3 times.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

It's happened a couple of times.

Yea! Thanks, Vgmastr .

I'll just have to keep watching. Good thing I like Pat Sajak and his little one-liners so much. I especially like when a contestant buys a vowel and it's not there, so play passes to the next person. Then that NEXT person buys the same vowel because they weren't paying attention and Pat says something like, "Nope. STILL no "e"."

[small voice] I love you Pat. [/sm]

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 9:59 AM

I'd estimate that as many people have won the $100,000 as those who've landed on it but didn't actually solve the puzzle. There have also been a few occasions where Pat would go over to the "prize wheel" afterwards and show that they landed on the space next to the $100,000. (Why he does this I have no clue...)

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

There have also been a few occasions where Pat would go over to the "prize wheel" afterwards and show that they landed on the space next to the $100,000. (Why he does this I have no clue...)

He likes to torture the contestants. Gleefully.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 8:02 PM

He likes to torture the contestants. Gleefully.

That's totally why I love him. Such a frickin' bad ass.

Call me, Pat!

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 11:27 AM

Well, at least he only does it when they didn't solve the bonus puzzle. If he did it to the winners, then maybe I'd call it "torture"!

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:27 AM

The parade of clueless players continues. One night this week (College Week), the puzzle read as follows:

DON'T BREATHE A _ORD TO AN_ONE

This guy spins and lands on the "mystery space". He's got a boatload of money in front of him, and Pat not-so-subtly implies that he's better off not picking it up. The guy laughs knowingly, agreeing with Pat....

then spins the wheel again...AND GUESSES AN "L"!!!

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 5:39 PM

So he thought it was "Don't breathe a lord to anyone?" What a wierdo.

I hate that mystery space. If I was on the show, I don't think I'd ever risk it if I had a reasonable amount of money and landed on it.

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2004 @ 2:16 AM

Stumbling onto TwoP has been a life-changing experience for me; I would never imagine people talking about WoF on a website! Anyhow, from my experience as a contestant on the show, I can tell you that YES, it's very easy to have brain farts on the show that lead to stupid mistakes.
One thing that I didn't realize when I was watching the show at home is how much time spinning the wheel can chip away at your effort in solving the puzzle. The motion of reaching over to spin it and seeing where it lands (because you dread the Bankrupt and Lose A Turn spaces) actually takes precious seconds away from concentrating on the board. I know it sounds crazy, but that was what I experienced on the show. Also, time seemed to pass by 10X faster in the studio than at home. The massive lighting abovehead, the cameras, the audience, Pat and Vanna, the inch of makeup on your face, the prospect of being the laughing stock of the community: all these factors can easily turn someone into a nervous wreck.
Even though I empathize with most contestants, I still moaned when I saw the poor guy asking for an L in the puzzle DON'T BREATHE A _ORD OF THIS TO AN_ONE.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

Hey ritalinsmoothie - just curious, because I love this show, but did you win anything when you were on it?

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

Lacke Bo Backe, I was lucky enough to advance to and win the bonus round. By the time I was standing right next to Pat in front of that small wheel, the feeling was surreal.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

ritalinsmoothie, that's great! I hope you won a lot and did well.

Is Pat as short as I think he is?

ETA: When Pat says to the audience, "Quiet, please," are people really trying to shout out the answer to the bonus puzzle? I've always wondered...

Edited by Lacke Bo Backe, Jun 2, 2004 @ 1:22 PM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

When Pat says to the audience, "Quiet, please," are people really trying to shout out the answer to the bonus puzzle? I've always wondered...

Me, too!

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

I'm 5'6" and Pat is about 3 to 4" taller than me, so I guess he's of normal height. (imdb.com lists him as 5'10") I think the misconception about him being short is that when he goes over to the wheel to stand right next to the contestants, their platforms are often raised so they can easily reach the wheel. Also, he's not a buff guy, and that's why I guess he comes out shorter on camera.

As for shushing the audience to quiet them, I learned from the staff that it had happened before, and that they had to invalidate the round(s). Since there are about 200 walk-in audience members (hyper kids included), Pat has to do some kind of crowd control. The filiming schedule is very tight. A 30-min show is taped within 30 min. If you have one voided puzzle each game and they tape 6 shows a day, then the production cost can easily overrun by an hour.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 7:45 PM

ritalinsmoothie, on the show did you experience the illustrious "Mystery Round?" Those black $500 spaces intimidate me...yet intrigue me.

Did you find the Jackpot round distracting?

Edited by Lacke Bo Backe, Jun 4, 2004 @ 7:45 PM.

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

I had the wheel all to myself in the Mystery round and I didn't land on the space. As for the Jackpot round, that was the first space I landed on in that round, so I couldn't solve the puzzle and win the $.

I much prefer the Jackpot space then the Mystery prize because the Jackpot is all cash! Say I won a $10,000 Kenneth Cole gift cert, I wouldn't know if I could blow that much $ on so many pairs of shoes and leather jackets. I wouldn't have minded if I've gotten a trip. To me, the main point on winning the non-cash prizes (who cares about $1000 gift tag from a coffee company, really?!) is that they help pad your lead so you have a much bigger chance advancing to the bonus round. One $4000 trip may = all the spins in 1 round.

The major reason why I chose to apply for WoF is the kind of prizes you can win: mainly cash and the occasional trip. One look at the fugly dining room unit on The Price Is Right or a grandfather clock and I know I don't want to be on that show. Since I'm not smart enough for Jeopardy, WoF seemed to be the best bet for me to get some decent cash. And I must say I did have luck on my side that day.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

ritalinsmoothie - has your episode already aired? If not, when will it air? If it did, what was your bonus puzzle? (Just trying to figure out what episode you were on).

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

Say I won a $10,000 Kenneth Cole gift cert, I wouldn't know if I could blow that much $ on so many pairs of shoes and leather jackets. I wouldn't have minded if I've gotten a trip. To me, the main point on winning the non-cash prizes (who cares about $1000 gift tag from a coffee company, really?!) is that they help pad your lead so you have a much bigger chance advancing to the bonus round.

Word to that. Of course, I think I could do a lot of damage with a $10,000 gift card to Macy's. I don't know about the rest of y'all.

WoF seemed to be the best bet for me to get some decent cash.

Plus, no matter what you get $500 just for being there! How did you sign up?

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 7:36 PM

TV_Buffy, my showed already aired last year. The taping was in August, and the airing date was October. Thankfully my show was not pre-empted for anything, and I was able to tape it. Can't imagine how someone might feel if all their friends and family were waiting for the show and it got shoved aside because of an expected playoff game, etc.

Lacke Bo Backe, since I was flying down from San Francisco to LA, even if I didn't win anything, the house minimum would've covered my expenses. But the show only gave us less than 3 weeks notice to appear on the show. So conceivably someone from the East or Midwest may not be able to find bargain fares to get to LA in that time range. If you're talking about a couple of people's tickets + hotel stay, that can easily exceed $500. But of course, everyone should view it as a fun trip instead of an expense.

I kinda forgot how I signed up for the show. It started with me signing up with my email address at their webpage. They then held an audition at an SF hotel, and I was lucky that my email got drawn. If I remember correctly, there were 2 auditions with about 80 people in each one. We just stood up one after another and pretended we were spinning the wheel. I was fortunately enough to solve a clue puzzle and got an autographed picture of Vanna. After all of us went thru the motion, we proceeded to do a written test. The puzzles were short, but they were not THAT easy. A lot of people were surprised by how difficult it was to do it in a short amount of time. After a break in which the production team corrected the papers, they announced the people (about 20) who were asked to stay.

They took a Polaroid mug shot of each one of us and had us describe a little bit of ourselves. Since there was an SF show coming up, they were asking extensive questions on a handful of folks. I thought I didn't have enough pep and "bubbliness" to be selected, and I left the audition feeling slightly disappointed. I was more than stoked when I got a letter saying I'll be asked to appear on the show in the next 18 months! And that was still like a dream from last night.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:09 PM

Just curious if anyone here has signed up for the "Wheel Watcher's Club" and has won a prize. I'm so tempted to, but I'm afraid that would be the last nail in my coffin of game show obsession.

I cringe when it's "Teen Best Friends" week on Wheel. Any girls partnered together turn into screeching banshees and it makes me want to claw my ears off (or hit the mute button).

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 7:22 PM

I didn't realize that the "speed up" round was as complicated as Check Game; those guys at the end had a lot of trouble with it in today's episode. They kept trying to guess two letters instead of solving, and guessed vowels for their first two even though vowels are worth no money.

Smackfu

Smackfu

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

Did those kids really win $30,000 in yesterday's game? That's insane bucks. Beats the hell out of Fear Factor.