Wheel Of Fortune: I'd Like To Buy A Vowel

• Please log in to reply

819 replies to this topic

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

Serious money at around $1800. per minute.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

I always feel sorry for the people (like the couple last night) who only get to spin once or twice the whole show.

zenn

zenn

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

Last night showed the stupidity of buying a vowel when you obvisously know the puzzle. I think it was
M_ first _a_iaan l_a_ The woman calls an "u" and then solves the puzzle. Someone else wins the final toss-up and final puzzle and is the big winner by $50. Like she didn't know that puzzle before calling the "u" ??? She deserved to lose.

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

That is my biggest pet peeve on this show! It seems more & more people are needlessly buying vowels when they know the answer to the puzzles. It really aggravates me!

Edited by snaggle, Feb 21, 2013 @ 5:13 PM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 4:34 AM

I think buying a vowel before they solve a puzzle they most likely know is their way of making sure their guess is correct. It's better to make sure you're guess is correct than getting it wrong and letting the next player solve the puzzle.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

Yeah, sometimes it helps, sometimes you genuinely aren't quite sure of that last word or two so you call that last vowel and hope it'll fill into one of those words and then, aha, that's the answer! But a lot of times they buy a vowel -- the last vowel -- and the puzzle is plainly obvious and they're basically just throwing away $250 just to make super-duper double sure of what's right in front of their faces. That's when I have to remind myself that I paid good money for my TV and it would not be prudent to throw the remote control at the screen.

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

What drives me nuts is when it is clear they know the puzzle, and they will pick a letter which appears only once rather than a letter that appears three or four times. I know they have seconds to make these decisions, but c'mon!

I always feel sorry for the people (like the couple last night) who only get to spin once or twice the whole show.

There was a show several years ago in which a woman won every toss up and every puzzle. The other contestants got an occasional spin but always hit bankrupt or lose a turn. Pat seemed amazed by her feat, but she was very matter of fact, no big deal. Then she won the big round, Pat opened the envelope, and said "of course - it's $100,000." Her kids and grandchildren were going nuts, but she was totally calm, was sort of "Yeah, that's what I expected."

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

Last night's bonus round was dumb. It was "SHORT QUIZ." Even if you lucked out with the vowel, who is ever going to get QUIZ?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Seriously. Sometimes I think they have a list of puzzles they drag out when they want the contestant to not win.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Today, the Final Spin was _ELL _HONE _HARGER (Cell phone chrger) . One contestant said, "Bell phone charger". Yikes.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

I think he said "Bell phone changer," which is even worse.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

But nonetheless hysterical. That guy tried his darnedest to solve that. Pat was laughing hysterically. And, he was really laughing at the contestant but more about the answer & how hard he tried. The shows from NYC are great. The audience really gets into at Radio City.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

I noticed that there's no car as a prize in the Bonus Round. I wonder why? It can't be too hard to get a car on stage with everything else they bring. Or maybe they don't do cars at remote locations. I haven't paid that much attention before.

I felt sorry for the contestant who couldn't figure out the puzzle: THERE'S NO _LA_E LIKE IT IN THE WORLD. As Pat said, it must be a lot harder when you're actually playing the game than at home.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

I felt sorry for the contestant who couldn't figure out the puzzle: THERE'S NO _LA_E LIKE IT IN THE WORLD. As Pat said, it must be a lot harder when you're actually playing the game than at home.

True, but that only goes so far as an excuse. This epic fail, I think, is an example of a contestant staring too hard at the one word and not looking at the rest of the puzzle to figure it out based on the context. Even if you can't look at _LA_E and figure out the word "PLACE," the rest of the puzzle, which was completely filled in, should give it away. There's only so many words that can fit in there to begin with and fit in the puzzle to make something that makes sense. What on earth was she thinking when she called an M? Eek.

woodscommaelle

woodscommaelle

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

Worst bonus round answer ever.

Person:

Wildly Happy Guy. 

That is just terrible!  The contestant should get a re-do.  What a completely random, stupid puzzle!

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

There have been some horrible bonus round answers for the last month or so.  Has anyone won the bonus round since the beginning of the month?

But I agree, tonight's bonus round answer was especially stupid.

tomorrowgirl

tomorrowgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

That was pretty much an unsolvable puzzle.  I got Wildly, but had no idea what the other two words were.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

woodscommaelle, I was going to write exactly what you but thought people would think I was dumb. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I don't think I've even have used the phrase/term, Wildly Happy Guy. That had to be the hardest & dumbest bonus round......ever!!!! I was sitting there like, "this is a joke, right". I felt so bad for the contestant. You almost couldn't get mad becasue no one could have gotten it. WOF owes them (and, us) an apology.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

I had figured out "wildly" and thought the second word was likely "happy" but I never would have gotten "guy."  The bonus rounds have been particularly bad lately.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

I also figured out Wildly, and then a few seconds later was toying with Happy, but I never got to Guy.  I might have if I'd thought a little more, but my mind was too stuck on the preposterousness of Wildly and Happy as a puzzle.

Wheel of Fortune karma balanced out today, though!  The contestant got a seemingly unsolvable bonus puzzle (though I am happy to say that I got it, no idea how, a second or two before she did) and she got the million dollars!  Whoo hoo!  Take that, evil Wheel of Fortune overlords, trying to screw people out of bonus money with impossible bonus puzzles.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

There was a great episode tonight. Although, I don't know if it was new or a rerun. I can't figure their schedule out. A girl by the name of Autumn won 2 trips, Million dollar wedge & wild card wedge. She goes to the bonus round and gets the usual r,s,t,l,n,e & then picks m, p, c,a & then picks a g. She amazingly only gets the G in the puzzle. The puzzle is T--G- --R---T. She guesses the puzzle "Tough Workout" and also landed on the million dollar wedge. Simply incredible. Her final tally was $1,030,340. Wow!!!

Edited by ByaNose, May 31, 2013 @ 8:38 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

I wished I watched that. Amazing that she figured it out. AND a million dollars!

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

How she ever got that puzzle I'll never know.  I thought of "tough" but don't think I ever would have gotten "workout."  Good for her!

FredLewis

FredLewis

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

The million-dollar win last Thursday was not a rerun. Autumn's only the second contestant since the $1,000,000 wedge was introduced in 2008 to win that major cash award. Her final total is an all-time record for the show as the other millionaire left with a few thousand less than Autumn.

This week and next week's shows are new, with reruns beginning on June 17th.

Season 31 of Wheel Of Fortune (along with Season 30 of Jeopardy!, which will air new shows through August 2nd) starts on September 16th.

Edited by FredLewis, Jun 4, 2013 @ 3:39 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

FredLewis, thanks for the WOF & Jepoardy. I still don't know how Autumn got that puzzle. I've been watching Father's Day week. I still like this show just like I did 30 years ago. Pat & Vanna sure are smart to realize what a grat gig they have. I think they work a total of 30 days doing the whole season and getting paid handsomely for it. Of course, I can't imagine anyone else doing the show. I am curious though who will be replacing Alex Trebek on Jeopardy.

cania

cania

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:53 PM

I came in right after last round. Why were there two people in the middle?

woodscommaelle

woodscommaelle

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:51 PM

Hah,  Just came in to ask the same thing as cania.

mcryan

mcryan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

My first thought was sign language interpreter but then Pat identified her during the introductions as a "designated spinner" and the contestant's cousin. It looked like the contestant was very petite.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

I heard the word "designated spinner" & then fast forwarded the show. It was distracting to me. She was short but I've seen others short too without needing help. Maybe, she has something wrong with her hands and/or grip.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

I figured she was short -- like, short short.  Remember, they have platforms that contestants stand on so they're all somewhat on the same level, probably just for camera purposes.  She was likely standing on a platform and she was still noticeably diminuitive, so she probably couldn't reach the wheel.  It was probably wasn't about her hand dexterity; I noticed that she held the toss-up round buzzer thing with no problem.