Wheel Of Fortune: I'd Like To Buy A Vowel

• Please log in to reply

813 replies to this topic

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Yeah, same guy. Don't mess with the karma gods.

SeattleStorm

SeattleStorm

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I was so happy this week, to see two contestants in a row pass on the $10,000/bankrupt option, and opt to receive the $1000 for each letter called. I think it's the worst strategy in the world to go for the 50/50 chance at $10,000 or bankrupt.

I have no problem with contestants who buy a vowel for $250. First of all, it gives them more information, secondly they don't have to risk a spin at hitting bankrupt or lose a turn.

But back to the $10,000/bankrupt option. First of all, it's much easier to earn the big money by hitting the $5000 or $3500 spot on the wheel, and calling a consonant that's in the puzzle multiple times. But for those that decide to take a peek, first of all there's a 50% chance that it says bankrupt, and then your turn is over immediately. And even if you do turn it over to find the $10,000, you still have to avoid bankrupt and lose a turn along the way, AND you have to solve the puzzle. To me, it's a no-brainer. If I ever go on the show, I will decline on that option every time.

Edited by SeattleStorm, Jun 8, 2012 @ 8:18 AM.

Jeaux35

Jeaux35

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Such an epic, EPIC fail tonight. The PRIZE PUZZLE is close to this:

PI_TURES_UE
PINE_PPLE
PL_NT_TION

You solve the puzzle, you're on your way to Hawaii.

So this woman waffles, like she might spin, and finally says "Picturescape Pineapple Plantation". PictureSCAPE!!!

I laughed so hard I might have pulled a muscle.

Jasamina

Jasamina

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Such an epic, EPIC fail tonight. The PRIZE PUZZLE is close to this:

PI_TURES_UE
PINE_PPLE
PL_NT_TION

You solve the puzzle, you're on your way to Hawaii.

So this woman waffles, like she might spin, and finally says "Picturescape Pineapple Plantation". PictureSCAPE!!!

I laughed so hard I might have pulled a muscle.

This episode was a repeat. When she went to solve the puzzle I told Mr. Jasamina that I thought she mispronounced the word, though to me it sounded like she said "PictureSCAY," not that that's a word.

I think she was the one who earlier risked $9,450 on the $10,000/Bankrupt choice - of course it was the Bankrupt.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I didn't watch last night, but I saw this the first time, and as I recall it was more like "picture-scay." An unbelievable moment.

sarahendipity

sarahendipity

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Yes picture-skay was awesome. I couldn't believe that later in the same show the other girl solved the puzzle with only one letter up!That was great.
Did anyone catch the guy a couple weeks ago during family week who, when Pat asked him about his hobbies, slipped in "Marco Polo"? We just about died laughing. I still don't think Pat noticed.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Picture-scay is so freaking awesome. I figure she assumed it was like the word "risque" with the pronunciation. What a doof. For that, and the idiocy of gambling for a $10K space when she already had nearly that much anyway.

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

That poor lady last night with the bumbled "I'm married to my cousin" introduction ... however, I loved Mike, the designated spinner!!

Edited by SuspiciousMind, Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:35 PM.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Somebody posted the original pilot with Edd Byrnes to YouTube a few days ago. He's slightly drunk.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Awww. I wanted to see if she won the puzzle! (and what the answer to that puzzle was)

That was fun. I miss Vanna turning the letters.

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

I think the puzzle was spaghetti, wasn't it?

That reminded me so much of the episode of the Mary Tyler Moore show when Ted Baxter auditioned for the game show host role - the game had a racetrack theme. Fun.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

A_CKLAND
NEW ZEALAND

All three contestants had no idea, even after Pat announced that there were only vowels remaining. Then when Contestant #1 called a U, he "solved" the puzzle with a look of bewilderment. Pat tried to be helpful by saying, "It's a small town...but it's the capital." Of course, Wellington is the capital, but thanks anyway Pat.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Wow. I wouldn't have defeated that crazy contestant. The most I would have gotten was at least $8,600. I would have been smiling with that final puzzle when I said, "Encore Performance!"

alphatero1

alphatero1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Finally!! they're giving $500 per letter when you land on that crappy wild card. Now they should give out some cash when you land on the useless million dollar wedge

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

The wedge is useless.

Edited by RL1, Sep 20, 2012 @ 7:40 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I can't remember -- has anyone actually won the million dollars after that first lady did?

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

As far as I know, not only has no one else won the million dollars, no one else has even gotten the million dollar envelope in the bonus round. The way things are going, it may not happen again, barring making the path to the million dollars easier or another extreme bout of luck.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

Oh, my God. Was that woman a ditz or what?

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Final puzzle was SHARP IMAGE. I don't think I've heard that phrase before. Maybe, SHARPER IMAGE but not SHARP. Am I dumb? It just doesn't sound right.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

That doesn't sound right to me either. They might as well do puzzles like "BEAUTIFUL BLOUSE" or "TALL TREE." Yes, they're words that go together, but they're not really a phrase.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

If I was there and I was in the bonus trying to solve that stupid thing, I'll say to Pat, "That's a **bleep** phrase?" Though I would probably give Pat cardiac arrest with my curses. Oh, dear! I, too, would not have solved that puzzle. That was too difficult.

Edited by RL1, Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:55 AM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

In their defense I think they said SHARP IMAGE was a thing. I'm not sure if that makes it easier and/or clearer. It wouldn't have helped me either way though.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

I noticed the Final Bonus Round clues are getting much harder. C'mon, Wheel of Fortune, lighten up. You are not Jeopardy.

Edited by RL1, Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:42 AM.

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Today's episode had the puzzle "PRACTICE _A_K_S PERFECT STRANGERS". When it's one woman's turn, she gets both half-cars tags and the million dollar piece. Then, she spins (complete with audience groan), and lands on "Lose a Turn". The guy next to her solves it for only $1000, I think. He ends up the winner. She never solves any puzzles and just ends up with the pity $1000. I don't know if she was being greedy or actually didn't know it. I was just speechless.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I don't think she knew it. After the guy solved it, I wondered if she was on the verge of tears. Pat was great in how much he consoled her and tried to make her feel ... less dumb.

cania

cania

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I don't think she knew it either and felt bad for her. He was a great player and really deserved his win.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

I think I spent the rest of the episode staring at my TV with my mouth agape. I too believe she honestly didn't know it -- wasn't just being foolishly greedy -- and I cannot she couldn't figure out such an obvious puzzle and blew the million dollars and the car. Oh, well. Today's loss is tomorrow's newest blooper video on YouTube...

Edited by Chicken Wing, Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:59 AM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I was on the fence if she just didn't know the puzzle or wanted to try and get more money. I think it was equal greed & stupidly. She was one of the more obvious people to show how upset she was and on the verge of a meltdown. Pat being the pro that he was able to get to recover to finish the show. I don't think she ever got over it.

Edited by ByaNose, Nov 7, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I didn't see the show, but I don't understand this:

"PRACTICE _A_K_S PERFECT STRANGERS"

Why didn't the "e" in makes show up? Or was it really "PRACTICE _AKES PERFECT STRANGERS"?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

The answer was PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, but what was posted here wasn't what was showing before the contestant guessed correctly. I can't remember which letters were showing. I think none of the E's were there, so it might have been PRACTIC_ MAK_S P_R_F_ECT.

ETA -
Now I feel like the idiot. The contestant had most of the letters filled in but didn't know the answer. Neither did I. The category was Song Lyrics:

_O_ TO THE FISHES IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA

I just completely blanked. I didn't have a clue (although I do know the song). I guess I shouldn't say anything about anyone who can't solve an obvious puzzle.

Edited by peeayebee, Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.