Wheel Of Fortune: I'd Like To Buy A Vowel

• Please log in to reply

812 replies to this topic

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:38 PM

I continue to be dumbfounded by the lack of intelligence displayed on this show. Last night one of the puzzles (category: Song/Artist) was "We Are The Champions by Queen".

At one point the puzzle was filled in as follows:

WE ARE THE CHAMPI_NS _ _ QUEEN

The team in the middle (this is football players week) spun the wheel and asked for an "F". They lose their turn.

The next team looks at the board totally baffled and asks if they can buy a vowel.

HELLO?!

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 2:35 PM

Michael, yea I know. I was like they cant figure THAT out ?? hello it was so easy

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Here's another one. Last night, the player said, "I'd like to solve the puzzle." Immediately after she said this, the "time is running short" bell rings. Pat asks her to wait a minute while he gives the wheel a final spin, yada, yada, yada.

Doesn't the bell ring mean they're short on time? Wouldn't it therefore have been quicker to have her solve the puzzle then and there???

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

I often feel there's a moral component to the game. Like when you know a contestant already knows the answer, but he just has to spin the wheel one more time because he doesn't feel he has quite enough money yet, and the wheel comes up bankrupt, and the next contestant solves the puzzle right away--doesn't that make you feel good? Like the greedy contestant got taught a cosmic lesson?

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:08 PM

On the flip side of the moral delimma, I feel bummed cause the big coglomerate that's Merv Griffin gets to keep more of his money...:-)

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 9:16 AM

That's true. But I'm like: Hey, contestant, you know you know the answer; I know you know the answer; don't be a fool, just solve the damn puzzle! But no, you have to go and spin the wheel one more time! I know what it reminds me of--the ancient Greek myth about Icarus, who had to fly just a little closer to the sun, which melted his wings and sent him plummeting to his death.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

I often feel there's a moral component to the game. Like when you know a contestant already knows the answer, but he just has to spin the wheel one more time because he doesn't feel he has quite enough money yet, and the wheel comes up bankrupt, and the next contestant solves the puzzle right away--doesn't that make you feel good? Like the greedy contestant got taught a cosmic lesson?

Very true. On the other hand, I also hate it when a contestant solves a puzzle waaay too early, like when s/he has $1,000 or less and could have gotten some more money. I think that's just stupid and sacrificing the long game (bonus round) for the short one (a quick win).

For example, last week this guy was way out in front (something like $19,000 going into the last puzzle. Pat spins one last time and course gets the $5,000 space (I swear, he must either practice a lot of spinning in his off time or the wheel is fixed!). Some lady who was in last place manages to get enough $$ with that as the space and not only solves the puzzle, but wins the match! If he would have just spun ONE more time in one of the puzzles he won, he would have won the whole thing.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

I don't think that the wheel is "fixed". I just think they've figured out how far Pat typically spins it, and arrange the wheel so there's a good shot of hitting that space.

I'm not saying I like this idea, just an observation.

Calberk

Calberk

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 7:29 AM

I really don't understand why so many people buy vowels when they don't need to. Like MONK_Y AT TH_ ZOO. "I'd like to buy an E, please." Why? Do you just like to waste money?
Do they get more money if their vowel shows up more than once in the puzzle? Suppose there were five "E"s in the puzzle. Do they get five times $250 added to their pot? Otherwise I don't understand why people would buy vowels since it's a lose-lose situation.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

I never understood buying vowels in that situation either, Calberk. *rolls eyes*

Then again, the contestants on Wheel of Fortune don't exactly have the brain power of the ones on Jeopardy. Reminds me of Joey from Friends playing along in his living room. "It's Count Rushmore!"

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

Calberk, I just saw an episode with that exact situation in it the other night. The entire puzzle was revealed save for one vowel, and all four other vowels had been chosen and revealed. The "ding ding ding" was heard that there was only one vowel remaining. And the dumbass player bought the freakin' vowel. He could have put two and two together to figure out that vowel hadn't been guessed yet and obviously fit the empty spaces in the puzzle! Stupid guy.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

If that's a bad situation (and it was), this one was worse. Someone had a puzzle that was BACK TO BASICS, and she said, Back to "the" Basics...and then nothing else. Meanwhile, I was at home desperately hoping that she didn't miss out on $100,000.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 3:13 PM

Contestants don't earn money for vowels, they lose $250, hench the term "buying a vowel". They lose $250 no matter how many times the letter appears in the puzzle. And for some still unexplained reason, they also lose $250 if the vowel they select is not in the puzzle...

I'm just as perplexed as any of you why someone would buy a vowel when the puzzle is obvious. Another pet peeve of mine is when someone will hit a large number like $900 and guess a letter that appears once, while another yet uncalled letter appears 4 or 5 times (assuming the puzzle is fairly obvious at this point).

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 3:43 PM

And for some still unexplained reason, they also lose $250 if the vowel they select is not in the puzzle...

They take that chance by buying a vowel. You lose $250 regardless of whether it's up there a million times, one time, or not up there at all. You play the odds when you buy a vowel, and hope that it pays off. But it always costs you something.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 9:32 PM

You lose $250 regardless of whether it's up there a million times, one time, or not up there at all.

Sounds like they've changed the rules since I watched WOF regularly (in the 80s). I think the vowels used to cost $50 each. If there were six Es in a puzzle, the player lost $300. If there was one O, the player lost $50. Is that right?

Edited by RainIsBeautiful, Feb 13, 2004 @ 9:32 PM.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 11:49 AM

I've been watching WOF since I was a little kid (I'm now 30) and don't ever recall the "each vowel costs $50" rule.

That's not to say it never happened. I know that the daytime version went through numerous changes in its later years, and I never saw that version after the mid-1980's.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

This would have been in the mid-to-late 80s, Michael. Then again, I was born in 1980, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. Can anyone vouch one way or another?

(FWIW, I watched WOF in the early evenings, right before the prime time shows came on.)

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

A couple of nights ago, I caught the bonus round of WoF... of course, the contestant got the free pack of letters (R-S-T-L-N-E), but when it came time for her to pick letters, she kept picking letters she already had -- I think she called for an S and an N... and I know she called for an R and an E, even though they were already in the puzzle.

(bangs head on desk) They've been giving those letters to the contestants for free for more than 15 years now, geez...

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 6:04 PM

Ever since Wheel started with Chuck Woolery as host, vowels have always been $250, and the fee never multiplied for each time the vowel appeared.

Trip

Trip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

I was watching a rerun on GSN the other day, and my friend and I both died laughing at this (presumably unintended) double-entendre. We couldn't believe it got past the censors. Slightly paraphrased because I can't remember the exact wording of the set-up:

Pat: "So you have ten grandchildren. By how many children?"
Female contestant: "Two lovely daughters."
Pat: "Busy little beavers!"

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

Pat: "So you have ten grandchildren. By how many children?"
Female contestant: "Two lovely daughters."
Pat: "Busy little beavers!"

BWAH!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

I believe I saw the biggest stupid contestant gaffe ever in the show. With one guy's guess, the entire puzzle, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, was revealed. Pat told the guy all he had to do was say it, and he mispronounced it. The judges ruled it incorrect, so the person next to him got it.

FoxFireX

FoxFireX

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 3:15 PM

That's nothing. One episode I saw a long while back featured our favorite category, "Foreign Word". I don't remember what the word was, but they uncovered every letter, and every contestant had two or three shots at pronouncing it until the judges finally decided someone was close enough to get credit.

Funny thing is, I don't recall that category showing up much after that feeascoo... fiasoco... incident.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

There was another "genius moment" on the show this week. The puzzle was "I DO NOT LIKE THEM SAM-I-AM". It was filled in as follows:

I DO NOT LIKE THEM S_M-I-_M

Pat says there are only vowels left. Player guesses "U". Loses turn. Next person pauses for several seconds, trying to figure out what to do even though...

THERE WAS ONLY ONE POSSIBLE LETTER LEFT!

Edited by Michael1973, Apr 2, 2004 @ 11:45 AM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

I do not like them Sum-I-Um?

Idiots.

tigger two

tigger two

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

I remember one where the puzzle was (something like) "Banana _ustard Pie" and the guy very confidently solved the puzzle as "Banana Mustard Pie". I laughed and laughed and then felt sorry for him...he would have a hard time living it down. He sounded so sure of himself.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

I remember one where the puzzle was (something like) "Banana _ustard Pie" and the guy very confidently solved the puzzle as "Banana Mustard Pie". I laughed and laughed and then felt sorry for him...he would have a hard time living it down. He sounded so sure of himself.

These remind me of Joey on Friends trying to solve the puzzle - _ount Rusmore.

Joey:
"It's COUNT Rushmore!!! Jeez, what an idiot!"

jynni

jynni

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 3:40 PM

Another thing that bothers me (I can't think of an example off the top of my head though) is when the answer has become obvious, yet the dumb ass contestants still buy vowels. I'm always thinking "You idiot - those cost you money! The idea of the game is to have more money than anyone else!".

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 6:14 PM

One of my favorite bad guesses was courtesy of a very sweet older woman who had "F_ANKLY _Y DEA_, I DON'T GIVE A DA_N" and guessed "Frankly my dear, I don't give a DARN."

I think even Pat groaned.

Michael1973

Michael1973

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

Another thing that bugs me is when contestants use their Free Spins just for the sake of using them, even though it's highly unlikely it will help them at that point. For example, a contestant takes his/her first spin in a given round -- there are no letters showing yet -- and guesses incorrectly. Then they use a Free Spin. WHY? They are setting themselves up for guessing another wrong letter and losing their turn.

If it were me, I'd only use a Free Spin if I was dangerously close to solving the puzzle when I lost my turn -- unless it was the last round and I hadn't used it yet.