Suggestions and changes for future TARs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Thinking of how to fix the Yield/U-Turn/Blind U-Turn, so it actually gets used with some sense of strategy. How about this?

The team who chooses to use it turns over an hourglass, as if they'd just been Yielded, but only puts their own Courtesy Of picture up. Then, every single team who makes it to the Yield mat before the hourglass runs out has to wait until it finished before moving on. It's simple for Phil to explain, it still gives you the inter-team bitching which always ensues, it brings it back to being a complement for the Fast Forward, and there's built-in bunching. All it needs is a name. How about "Red Light"?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

"Red Light" sounds good. Nice idea.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

I think this is the appropriate topic to talk about a subject I've been thinking of.

What types of teams would we like to see? Particularly if they are team types we haven't seen before (or much of).

Boss/Employee - The dynamic might be interesting and new.
Student/Teacher - Same
Newlyweds - They'd have a good reason as to why they'd be gone for a month.
Happily married couple with no issues - Kind of rare for TAR.
Video Game Designers / Board Game Designers
Chefs
Siblings, one of whom is adopted
Young lesbian couple
Lawyers
Muslims - The first muslim team didn't last that long.
Buddhists
Nuns
Freerunners / Parkour runners
Marathon runners
Someone running with their Mother/Father-in-Law
Tennis (or other duo sport) partners

Goldeneye1

Goldeneye1

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

Maybe a different version of a past non-elimination penalty should be reinstated as a non-elimination penalty...

Instead of confiscating all of the team's cash and giving them $0 for the next leg, give the last team to arrive at the NEL only 50% (rounded down) of the cash that the other teams get at the beginning of the next leg.

It will force the penalized team to scrimp with fewer resources, but remove a lot of the potential for begging.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 12:08 AM

Fukui San, we've had multiple sporting-team partner and lawyer teams, "marathon runners" described a team on China's version last year, and at least one of your other suggestions has been confirmed as a team dynamic we'll be seeing on The Amazing Race Australia after Easter. That said, some of those are really good.

You know what I'd really, really like to see? A gay-guy/straight-guy team where the straight guy isn't related to the gay guy. I don't think we've ever had one before.

Edited by TheGrimRecapper, Mar 31, 2011 @ 12:10 AM.

shadowLurker

shadowLurker

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

What I'd like to see is a team of a man and woman who are not romantically involved and never have been romantically involved and who aren't related to eachother. We've had plenty of man-man buddy teams or woman-woman buddy teams, but I can't think of a single man-woman buddy team.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 4:09 AM

Aaron & Arianne and Ari & Staella would both fit the bill there. If we're talking a non-gay guy/non-gay girl relationship then I'd say that both Flo & Zach and Russell & Cindy work, although the show did try to layer over romantic overtones where there were IMO none, unless you consider "girl pathetically lusts after jerk who isn't interested" as romantic.

Goldeneye1

Goldeneye1

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

How about a clue or two written only in the local, official language (if not English) that the location is in.

It's been done in another version of TAR (China Rush: Shanghai) - but do it in a leg/point that is important that is not in the USA, such as the Pit Stop clue for the second to last leg.

This implementation will be quite interesting to add in the US version.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

I remember that being done in South America in the Boston Rob season. The first Boston Rob season. There was a clue hidden in the local paper. That was fun and certainly could be done again.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

What types of teams would we like to see? Particularly if they are team types we haven't seen before (or much of).

Friends who initially met online. Has not happened in any version, as far as I know.

Or, even better, put in an online casting call for single contestants who want to do TAR but have trouble finding a partner. The two best applicants get paired up. Two total strangers.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 3:39 PM

Friends who initially met online. Has not happened in any version, as far as I know.

Didn't one of the older couples from a couple seasons ago meet through online dating?

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 12:41 PM

That was Ron and Marcy. I think it was Season 15.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 8:17 AM

Or, even better, put in an online casting call for single contestants who want to do TAR but have trouble finding a partner. The two best applicants get paired up. Two total strangers.

This is a staple of the French similar show Pekin Express. It has lead to good moments, because the show always puts together polar opposite (gay hairdresser/farmer, Smart, blonde bimbo/policeman, stern white guy/outgoing black guy) but it has also lead to awful moments, like that one person that decided to quit, screwing her partner entirely. Said partner went on to win the celebrity edition fortunately.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I recently have become reacquainted with TAR after several seasons away. So far I've watched the past 4 seasons thanks to CBS and youtube. It's nothing like I remember it. Anyway, my recent viewing has given me a few ideas for improvement.

1) TPTB could institute a new thing called a Traffic Jam or a Pile Up. How this would work is that it would be a bottleneck of sorts that would require teams to wait for all teams to reach the point and receive a clue that is specifically marked for them. Once all teams have received their clues, they then have to figure out that they must work together to figure out where their next location is. The clue could be anything from a picture puzzle, to a scrambled city or place name to parts of an address. I think that this could potentially be a game changer and it would be interesting to see how the teams play when they know that they have to cooperate AND stay competitive vs doing one or the other.

2) I'd like to see the U-Turn rules changed a bit. I think that teams should be able to win U-Turn immunity on a previous leg, but not necessarily the first team to reach the pit stop would be the winner. It could be a prize that they win during a road block or detour or something like that.

3) If TPTB decide to double the money in future seasons, I do not think that it should be "whoever wins the first leg and the last leg gets $2 Mil." I think that $400,000 of it should be split into $50,000 increments and given away as prizes to first place finishers throughout the race. Trips would be given out as NEL prizes. The remainder of the money would be given to the second place finishers ($100,000) and then the standard $1,000,000 to the winners. The larger cash prizes would definitely be a game changer. Contestants already beat their brains out over the opportunity to just stay in the game and the shot at winning a trip to Hawaii or Bali or wherever...imagine if they knew that $50,000 was at stake almost every week. I bet that the kumbaya-ness of this season would have been left in the dust long ago for a shot at that money.

4) Express Passes need to wait. I'm all for the express pass being handed out in week 3 or 4 vs. week 1. Teams need to be tested without having the option of an out, imo. Holding off on handing out those express passes would make them more coveted and would also narrow the window of time on using them.

5) I'm all for having a version of the detour that can send teams to two different locations, choose your own adventure style. Ex: Teams are in Europe and given the options of Ball (Sicily) or Small (Corsica). Teams who choose "Ball" would go to Sicily, those who chose "Small" would go to Corsica. Once they've visited their locations and completed the detour tasks, they would be sent to the same pit stop in another country (in this example, they are going to Italy afterwards.) This could shake things up a bit due to transportation times and distance.

6) Another change I'd like to make to detours is to limit the number of slots at each detour so that all of the teams can't choose to do the same task. Ex: Let's say there are 8 teams and 2 detours. Each detour only has 4 slots, so once 4 teams have chosen a detour, no other teams can do it and have to do the other by default. I don't think it should be every detour though. Just randomly scattered throughout the game to keep contestants on their toes.

Edited by auntie thesis, Dec 9, 2012 @ 1:28 PM.