The Music of TAR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

176 replies to this topic

Hawkwild

Hawkwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

Thought I'd bump this topic with an ode to the BOMP.

I am beside myself with glee that soon the "BOMP" will return to television sets throughout the land. Seriously, I think TAR has one of the coolest theme songs out there...totally sets the tone for the whole thing.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 11:37 PM

When I watched the preview video on cbs.com, I knew fairly quickly 2 things.
a) That's going to be the first couple minutes of the show.
b) It wasn't quite right...and it was the lack of any music. There was no score to that clip, and it needed it. Hopefully when a) comes to pass, there will be an appropriate TAR score.

Ambi

Ambi

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 11:42 PM

You will NOT be disappointed on that score. Heh.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

• Interests:Amazing Race, Survivor, Jeopardy, country music & dancing, CMT, GAC, travel, languages

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 10:15 AM

This is going to sound weird, but one thing I always think about is that if I were ever on the race, it would be really weird because there would be no background music.

devajd

devajd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 12:02 PM

I think I'd just make up my own theme music in my head, like Kronk.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Last season they put in some new music, most notably the electric guitar stuff and a piece that sounded quite a bit like the music from the climax of Death to Smoochy. I hope they keep down this road.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

I would think that some of the music is going to vary so it can be a "theme" for that season, or a team for that season.

Different music is OK, just as long as the opening credits theme is left alone. Totally unchanged.

swimmerboy

swimmerboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 3:15 PM

Different music is OK, just as long as the opening credits theme is left alone. Totally unchanged.

And as long as they continue using the "Horns of Perserverance" for the previouslies.

Sonic2017

Sonic2017

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

Watching the early show preview and Playing the TAR4 premiere against the TAR5 thing on the insider...it sounds like the first 5 minutes of TAR5 should be similiar to TAR4...TAR3 music was completely different than TAR4 so i doubt that will occur

Edited by Sonic2017, Jul 3, 2004 @ 8:20 PM.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

• Interests:Amazing Race, Survivor, Jeopardy, country music & dancing, CMT, GAC, travel, languages

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 11:04 AM

The music hasn't seemed different to me across the four seasons. I watch various episodes out of sequence, and I'm always struck when I hear a piece of music and think to myself, "Oh, that's the rat temple music." And then I hear that piece of music again. I haven't noticed major changes.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:17 PM

From an article in today's Orlando Sentinel (linked to in the "TAR in the Media" thread), this bodes well for the music:

Pounding music accompanies the action, and for once, it's appropriate. The Amazing Race rolls along with the panache of a good thriller.

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

The music during the first season was already top notch, but the music editors have improved over the seasons even more. Second season, I could have sworn the music for Chas shopping spree was lighthearted music similar to what Letterman woudl use for an antics skit. Third season, during the Cambridge punting, we had "Bassoons of Hijinks" (or something along those lines) as Bald Snark got wet. Fourth season, the use of classical music during the Beethoven and Mozart Detour was extremely well placed (and we got the Bassoons of Hijinks" again for the manure pile).

But even outside these, the music is tense when we are feeling the push of the race, and strongly help to push the tension, and relaxed when the competitors are at ease, all helping to emphasize how the viewer should be feeling about the show. Compare this to Survivor, where the only tense music is usually during the Tribal Council, and now that that's jumped the shark (during ASS's clip show), it'll no longer have any meaning.

(Heck, when I watched the first episode of Survivor from the 1st season DVD, there was almost NO music, compared to Survivor or other reality TV today where there is always a constant run of some sort of BG music, even if canned.)

I think that without the music , or even the same music directives that have been used on TAR, TAR would not be as great a show as it is, from the viewers perspective. I also think a lot of the music talent is relayed from JB and his successful films, which many have very invigorating soundtracks as well, and is the same sort of musical themes that you want with an intense race such as this.

y3

y3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

Sigh... and to think.... the first season of Survivor actually got a CD Soundtrack release....

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

From an article in today's Orlando Sentinel (linked to in the "TAR in the Media" thread), this bodes well for the music:

Pounding music accompanies the action, and for once, it's appropriate. The Amazing Race rolls along with the panache of a good thriller.

I live in the Orlando area and the Sentinel is a sorry excuse for a newspaper but I love the TV critic and he's usually spot on.

What's great about TAR music is it fits nicely into the background and enhances the scene, and doesn't overwhelm.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 1:16 PM

How exciting! They've gone back to an earlier (second-season, I think) version of the theme music, and restored the missing beat 3 beats before the [BOMP] so that we no longer end with a 7/4 measure.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

I noticed that, too. It's the old music, which means all the old lyrics fit again. No one else cares, but it bothers me when the music doesn't fit so that latecomers think I don't know what I'm doing.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 5:38 PM

How exciting! They've gone back to an earlier (second-season, I think) version of the theme music, and restored the missing beat 3 beats before the [BOMP] so that we no longer end with a 7/4 measure.

I noticed that, too. It's the old music, which means all the old lyrics fit again. No one else cares, but it bothers me when the music doesn't fit so that latecomers think I don't know what I'm doing.

So it wasn't me being hopeless with fitting in the words eh? I found TAR during Season 3, and when I was going through the recaps I couldn't work out why I had to rush the end of the lyrics. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do it. And at no time did I think you didn't know what you were doing Miss Alli, I thought I was just an inadequate singer. Damn, music people messing with our fragile little minds.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

It's the old music, which means all the old lyrics fit again.

Lyrics?

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

Lyrics?

Check the recaps for Season 2. Miss Alli wrote some brilliant and highly amusing lyrics to the theme music.

Azimuth

Azimuth

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

I assume they only went back to the old music because they have 11 teams instead of 12 this time around, not for any nostalgic reason. I even find it a bit jarring, because now I'm expecting that fourth measure, so my rhythm gets thrown off. Oh well.

Lingo

Lingo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 9:21 PM

Ha! I knew I wouldn't be the only one to recognize the old music. I, too, think it's because there's 11 teams again, but whatever the reason, I don't care. I like the old music better!

Hawkwild

Hawkwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 10:31 PM

Check the recaps for Season 2. Miss Alli wrote some brilliant and highly amusing lyrics to the theme music.

Yeah, "highly amusing" like Charla is "kinda short." Seriously funny stuff...I re-ran my tape of last night's opening 9 times to sing all the different versions, while my cats hid.

What are you waiting for? GO!

Sneak

Sneak

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 11:24 PM

I never saw the first two seasons, so I never knew the themes were a little different. No wonder I could never get the lyrics to fit when I read the recaps!

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

Ha! I knew I wouldn't be the only one to recognize the old music. I, too, think it's because there's 11 teams again, but whatever the reason, I don't care. I like the old music better!

I think that must be it. I've been endlessly rewatching the old episodes, and I always thought there were slight differences in theme songs, because when I hum along, I sometimes get caught up. I think the season 1,2,5 theme songs are one team shorter, if that makes any sense.

Lingo

Lingo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 4:09 AM

It's the middle part of the song, or the "bridge" as music people would call it I think. In seasons with 12 teams, the bridge is extended by a measure or so (so that all the teams are introduced before the reprise of the chorus), and to compensate, the editors removed that beat at the end of the song (Just before "Phil's! Hand! some! [BOMP.]").

I have each version of the theme in my iTunes library (each of the 4 seasons), as well as a few bits from the shows themselves. I set my iTunes to play random songs all day, and they frequently come up. I was just listening to Rob and Brennan win TAR1 again. I love it every time. :)

TAR Neobie

TAR Neobie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 8:27 AM

I did notice that they spliced three almost totally different songs together in the first episode, when the first bus left Montevideo for Punta del Este and the cattle roamed Uruguay. The first one (guitar strumming) was used in Mexico the 3rd season, the third one is constantly used as Bouncy Travel music, and the second one is completely new! It's interesting that the three, overlapping one another, just fit together.

ecogaia

ecogaia

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

I knew I wouldn't be alone in noticing this. It's sick how giddy it made me to hear the previously missing 3 beats! Almost as giddy as I was simply to hear the opening strains of the TAR theme. Woo!! I love TAR music!!

Ronin47

Ronin47

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

I totally, totally loved that goofy circus music they used with the dogs. I actually had to rewind it to hear it again.

Lingo

Lingo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 2:22 AM

I may be wrong, but I think we heard some new music this week, particularly around the time when Charla and Mirna checked in at the Pitstop. It was very orchestral and exciting. I loved it!

diehardTARfan

diehardTARfan

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 7:39 PM

Anyone have a high-quality mp3 of the Season 5 (I'd ask for Season 1 as they are the same, but 1 has Phil's speech in it) theme music....? I have the other four seasons......thanks! my e-mail is in my profile.................

Edited by diehardTARfan, Jul 21, 2004 @ 7:40 PM.