You Can't Do That! Censorship on TV

• Please log in to reply

1355 replies to this topic

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

That's completely hilarious. I can't even stop laughing at how ludicrous that is.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Seriously, what's next? The Disney Channel running cartoons with black bars across Donald Duck where his little sailor outfit leaves off?

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

I just watched the most pointless moment of censorship ever. During an episode of Family Guy on my local FOX affiliate, they bleeped out Stewie saying "penis" and "vagina." They bleeped it out, even though Stewie didn't pronounce the words correctly (the entire point of the joke) and the episode was on at 1:15am. I didn't realize medically correct words for genitalia were considered swears now. The channel managers probably think the same thing as Hank Hill, that it's considered "cussing" as long as it's "a part of the body that was meant to be concealed by an undergarment." Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of the world. A couple of months ago, a Florida state senator was reprimanded for using the word "uterus" during a speech on the senate floor.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Just caught the movie "I Love You, Man" on tv last night - TBS maybe? They substituted the word "armhole" for "asshole" every single time, but then Jason Segal is allowed to say about Jamie Pressly's character "She's a hot piece of ass".

Wtf?

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Centric is airing the TV movie Port Chicago Mutiny for Memorial Day, yet they are censoring words all over the telecast. It is as bad as trying to watch 8-Mile.

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

My favorite edit of all time is the TV version of Snakes on a Plane where Samuel L. Jackson yells that he has had it with "these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane." I mean how was that a better choice than just beeping out the offending words.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

A couple of months ago, a Florida state senator was reprimanded for using the word "uterus" during a speech on the senate floor.

Was the senator a man or a woman? Everyone knows that only men are allowed to talk about women's bodies.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I didn't realize medically correct words for genitalia were considered swears now.

I remember seeing an interview with Tina Fey, back when she was still on SNL, and she was saying how the censors had a limit for the amount of times they could say "penis" or "vagina," but they could make up words as freely as they wanted. I guess the reasoning was that "ping-ping" or the like doesn't technically mean "penis," so one could argue they aren't referring to penises at all? I don't know. Anyway, she was saying how inventing words for genitalia resulted in jokes being way dirtier than if they had just said the real words. ("Ping-ping" probably isn't the best illustration of that point, but it was the only thing I could invent on the spur of the moment.)

I'm going to start saying "Monday to Friday."

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

I remember seeing an interview with Tina Fey, back when she was still on SNL, and she was saying how the censors had a limit for the amount of times they could say "penis" or "vagina,"

I imagine that was a result of their "Penis Song" sketch in Season 14, where they used the word 45 times. A few weeks later, a very prim and proper Mary Tyler Moore hosted, and in her opening monologue pretened to be mortified over it, then ended with:

"Anyway, don't let what I've been talking about concern you in the least. I am just glad I got that off my mind. Now I can concentrate on doing a great show! Elvis Costello's penis is here tonight, so stick around, we'll be right back!"

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

BWAH! I remember the fallout of that Season 14 sketch - one reviewer was horrified and said "The only joke seemed to be repeating the same word that refers to a certain part of the male anatomy over and over." Well ... yeah. That, plus the fact that everyone in the sketch appeared to be nude (I believe Matthew Broderick was hosting? I can't click on that link; I'm at work).

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Has there ever been a show that displayed a kid getting a spanking? That seems to be an action that has never made it on television. I've seen shows that joked about whippings and getting switches but hardly any that actually went there. The only one I could think of was Veronica Mars when the character of Logan is sent to a room by his father and you see the father taking off his belt.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Has there ever been a show that displayed a kid getting a spanking? That seems to be an action that has never made it on television. I've seen shows that joked about whippings and getting switches but hardly any that actually went there. The only one I could think of was Veronica Mars when the character of Logan is sent to a room by his father and you see the father taking off his belt.

There was a whole episode of Diff'rent Strokes back in the 80's where Arnold and Willis's adopted dad had to give Arnold (Gary Coleman) a spanking and he had to decide if he would do it or not. I can't remember how it turned out.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Roseanne dealt with it in one episode. Enraged at DJ for swiping someone's car to go joyriding, Roseanne hits him (I can't remember where). She's horrified by her loss of control, because she doesn't believe in corporal punishment and had never used it on her kids before (the physical abuse she suffered as a kid plays into this).

Reba had an episode that talked a lot about spanking, but I can't remember if we actually saw Henry get spanked (I just remember Reba spanking Barbara Jean; it was a later season episode and I don't much care for those). Barbara Jean is completely inept at disciplining Henry, and gets mad when Reba won't abide his bratty behavior in her house. Reba advocates spanking, but, again, I can't remember if she does it (Henry's not her kid, so I would hope not, but I'm not sure.)

Edited by Bastet Esq, Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:43 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

Yes, Dear (don't judge me) had an episode where Jimmy was going to spank one of the boys (Dominic?) for continuing to lie, over and over again, about lots of things. He and Christine (the wife/mother) debated the issue and he agonized it, but he did it. Felt bad for it. And the kid kept lying. They found another way to deal with it. What I don't remember though, is if they showed the actual spanking. I think they did, but I'm not sure.

Edited by aquarian1, Jun 25, 2012 @ 6:26 PM.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

The father on Good Times wanted to spank the youngest.

18matt

18matt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

There was an episode of "Growing Pains" where Ben calls gets caught calling a phone sex line a bunch of times. But before he admits the truth, he lies and says he heard about the number from his friend Chris. Chris and his dad show up at the house later. Mr. Seaver offers Chris a seat and he says "no thanks," the obviously implication being he got a thorough spanking. It happened off screen, but it was played for laughs.

Edited by 18matt, Jun 26, 2012 @ 5:19 PM.

Sayuri1188

Sayuri1188

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Bree spanked Lynette's rowdy boys during season 1 or 2 of Desperate Housewives. They didn't show it, but it was a central plot of that episode.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

Has there ever been a show that displayed a kid getting a spanking?

The only one I can think of is The Simpsons. Bart was spanked by George Bush (the elder), mostly just for being Bart/Dennis the Menace.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

And there's the Community where Britta refuses to believe that Troy's grandmother is anything but a sweet old woman who he's unfairly badmouthing, until she gets "whupped" herself. IIRC it's just barely offscreen, with the switch whipping through the frame.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Britta's an adult though.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Another adult sighting JR Ewing slapping John Ross for failing to show proper respect to Uncle Bobby. It was part of a scam of course.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Butters' grandma also was revealed to be an abuser in an episode of Family Guy. Everyone thinks it's a kid who's bullying him until the end.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

So, MTV kept "bitchy" in Mean Girls, but they had to bleep the word "gay"? Fuck you, MTV. I can understand blurring the word "dyke", but bleeping out "gay" just left a bad message in my mouth, like they couldn't have Damien as a guy that was overtly gay.

Edited by MethodActor05, Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:06 PM.

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

So, MTV kept "bitchy" in Mean Girls, but they had to bleep the word "gay"? Fuck you, MTV. I can understand blurring the word "dyke", but bleeping out "gay" just left a bad message in my mouth, like they couldn't have Damien as a guy that was overtly gay.

My guess would be that they did not have to but chose to do so because of the PSA du jour is to get teens to stop using "that is so gay" to describe things (not that the Get Yourself Tested PSA stopped them from showing drunken hookups/one-night stands on most of their shows).

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

They bleeped the word "homosexual," too. From the little bit I watched, none of the references to homosexuality they censored where in the context of a slur (like when they bleeped the use of "retarded" as a synonym for stupid), but as straightforward references to a character's sexual orientation. Color me offended, especially since they had no problem leaving a gender slur intact.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

That they also left in "lesbian" made it all the more offensive, but of course, Janis Ian wasn't really a lesbian while Damian actually was gay. Again, fuck MTV.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Since when does MTV care about offending people?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

The ridiculous words and phrases dubbed into TV airings of Smokey & The Bandit would probably cause me to sprain my eyeballs if I ever actually watched more than a few minutes ("scum bum"?). Last night, I came across it on CMT, and discovered a new low. There is a scene toward the end with Carrie and Bandit in the car when she asks what he's planning to do when this is all over. He says, "Go to bed. For a week." She says "Good idea" with a saucy look and he replies, "And sleep." On another look, she asks, "Wanna bet?"

In this version, "And sleep" became "And dream." "Wanna bet?" became "Wanna play?"

Huh?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

That's pretty ridiculous. I can understand covering up vulgar references to sex, but if it's not a children's cartoon I don't think the existence of the concept needs to be hidden.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

How's "Wanna play" less sexual, though? That, to me, sounds like more of an invitation.