Someplace That's Else: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

65346 replies to this topic

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I'll Hulk out for you, KPC. That sucks about your job :(

I had a surprise visit from my bestie yesterday. Sadly, she's here for a colleagues funeral, but we had a nice day yesterday and got to watch 'The Avengers' finally. I now get to take her to my work with her wearing her Red Serge, and another friend of ours - a very good looking RCMP member - will be picking her up from my office. It's strange, but all Canadians still geek out over the RCMP dress uniform.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

I think I geek out over it too. Ah, Due South.

****vibes to KPC and Trudi's companion and Erratic's bestie's colleagues family.****

Edited by romantic idiot, May 22, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

harvester

harvester

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Poor pooch! Vibes of the canine variety go to trudi tru's brood.

Don't hulk out KPC. That will result in expensive wardrobe replacement. I am sorry about the job though, and I will send you some good luck vibes.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I found a reference to Nunavut in Donovan Hohn's book Moby-Duck:

You know what's crazy? I live in the city closest to Canada's north (that isn't 'in' it), and people here look blankly at me when I mention Nunavut. Yes, it has only been an official territory of Canada since 1999, (before that it was part of the Northwest Territories), but it is the biggest chunk of Canada at 1,994,000 sq km (in comparison, Texas is 695,621 sq km). If I say that I lived in Nunavut, people think that I am talking about Inuvik - which is a small town in the NWT. If I say that I lived in Kugluktuk, Nunavut, they look blankly at me and tell me that I mean 'Tuktoyaktuk' - another small NWT town. So, don't worry about not knowing many references to that big-ass part of the World. If Canadians refuse to accept its existence, it probably doesn't actually exist.

Sorry I forgot to add my warm cuddly vibes to Trudi_tru's pooch. Virtual treats!

Edited by Erratic, May 22, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Aw and whew, glad you're dog is ok trudi. Was it the little guy that got hit?

I had a great job lined up, and then my role got cut due to budget concerns. It would have made ALL the difference finically, and now I may have to look for temp office jobs- this makes me feel like an utter failure.

Sorry your role got cut KPC. And you can stop with the failure talk. It ain't so!

Burger talk ahead! I found out we're getting a Shake Shack not far from where I live! Yay! Mmm...burgers. I remember liking their burgers when I gobbled one down really fast at a NYC meetup. We recently also got a Smashburger here, which are one of my faves, so I will have to compare. Oh,and Bobby Flay has a burger place at the mall which I want to try one day too. He only has locations in NY,DC,MD and NJ. Anyone ever try them?

Haven't checked her FB but I know Lissie must be happy with her Devils win now that the series is tied. I think it's going to go down to a seventh game.

Boliver

Boliver

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

How scary, trudi! I'm glad your baby's okay. And I'm sorry about your snipped role, KPC. That has to be seriously anxiety-inducing.

I'm sitting outside SilverKid's high school, waiting for band practice to get out, and listening to them butcher the Imperial March. Isn't that a crime against humanity or something? If they play it like that at this week's pops concert, there will be a revolt and I'll beat somebody to death with one of the bleachers. A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend.

Speaking of a vague disclaimer, SilverFox and I watched The Initiative and the Bachelor Party and Pangs this week. I Will Rememebr You is tonight. Send Kleenex.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

That is shitty. That is so shitty, KPC and trudi_tru.

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

That sucks, KPC. Acting is a tough business, and you are incredibly brave and devoted in pursuing your dream. No need to feel like you failed, you need money, just like everyone else. I hope great things come soon your way.

I know the 'quake happened a few hundred kilometers from where you live, but did you feel a ripple or anything, like we did in New York last summer?

Nope. No ripples here. I gotta say, looking at hundreds years old buildings destroyed is pretty disheartening.

I'm sitting outside SilverKid's high school, waiting for band practice to get out

I bet that's something you'd never thought you'd do, huh Bol?

Was it the little guy that got hit?

Yes it was, which is odd since he's supposed to be street smart. I guess living at home made him less wary of dangers.

Thanks for the canine wishes.

cko

cko

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

Can I just say how much I love this place, and how funny and honest and snarky and supportive you all are, each in your own special way?

The way I have the windows on my laptop desktop set up, here at TWOP I can sometimes only see the comments, not the column with the names, but it doesn't matter since I can almost always know who's who just by how you self-express.

By the way, soon I'll be Chicago bound. We can post this at FB, but just want to be sure that at the least, some of us are up for meeting in town on the evening of Friday, June 1?

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

My post above had way too many typos for my liking. And now it's too late to correct. Sorry guys. I'll try to be better, but am unlikely to succeed :-(

Edited because it wasn't too late to correct this one.

Edited by romantic idiot, May 23, 2012 @ 8:24 AM.

dusky

dusky

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

I had a customer today who had bloody vampire fang bites tattooed on her neck. I thought it was a bad mistake for 2 reasons, first I thought it might look really weird when she was 60 and might make it marginally more difficult for her to get a job and more importantly because she had them positioned wrong, they were horizontal and every one knows vampire bites are at more of an angle.

Friday is my regular day off, I have taken Saturday off and with the Monday holiday that means I have a 4 day weekend. I will try to take a least a part of that time to clean my house before it collapses under the weight of the mess I have allowed to accumulate. ( I figure if I put that in writing I might shame myself into actually doing it)

Trudi Tru, so happy the furry child was not seriously hurt.

cko have a great time in Chicago, I can't tell you how much I wish I was able to join you guys there.

Bol I love the image of you waiting outside of band practice doing the geeky critic thing. So glad things are working out so well for you,

Edited by dusky, May 23, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

Oh my god! Vampire bites? Horizontal? I LOVE it!!!

My MRI results came back, guess I need surgery. No news there. If you're interested I posted details on my FB page, but I'm bored by it already.

MM vibes liberally sprinkled.

Hostile16

Hostile16

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:40 AM

Sorry to hear about the surgery -- I hope you can set it up for a time when K is around to pamper you. Or, if you prefer, while he's away so you can wallow.

I have officially hit Law & Order overload -- I dreamed last night I was involved with Det. Goren. It wasn't even a sex dream; it was more like a dating montage from an 80's movie. Weird. I decided to do a complete 180 and watched Albert Nobbs today. I'm pretty "meh" about it (Tootsie visits Downton Abbey, but holy cow, Janet McTeer was good! She was nominated for a Supporting Actress Oscar, but damned if I don't think she should have won.

Hey, there's a bazillion virtual dollars and/or a quiz topic on offer to anyone who can provide the first line pf the "Happy World of Haribou" candy jingle.

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

boy, I really have been missing out. Chicago meet up on the 1st? I'm a cautious maybe. It's my last day of school, and that's always just a bit nutty and hard for me to commit to anything except total collapse.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

We've got more deets in a thread at the Other Place, neighbors.

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

I'm just so freaking swamped at the end of the year. It's not good.

Meanwhile, I have to get a shitton of dental work done. I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled, and then a root canal and a crown. Yay?! So today I go to the office for my consult---there's actually 2 guys, one will do the extractions and the other will do the root canal. Anyways, these 2 are FUCKING HOT. The first one's like the sensitive, quite type. The other one is just a handsome fucking man. Seriously, these 2 need their own TV show. Check this shit out. Click on Meet the Doctors. Damn.

Anyways, I am really just happy to be home. I watched the movie "One for the Money" the other night since I've always been a fan of that Stephanie Plum, but the movie was only okay.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

You still have your wisdom teeth? I had mine extracted when I was 25, and I was told that was late.

Also: Nice docs. :) The first one is cute, but the second one looks like he plays a doctor on TV. Call Shonda Rimes, stat!

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Yeah, I basically just ignored dentists for 15 years when they told me to get my wisdom teeth out. I'm kind of a shithead that way.

Yeah, the first one dentist was all cute and scholarly and sweet. The second one was just as handsome in real life. Seriously? Who looks like that?

Edited by neighbors, May 24, 2012 @ 8:47 PM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Why would you need the wisdom teeth taken out? Is this for the ones who have emerged or the ones that may, to spare future pain?

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I decided to do a complete 180 and watched Albert Nobbs today. I'm pretty "meh" about it (Tootsie visits Downton Abbey, but holy cow, Janet McTeer was good! She was nominated for a Supporting Actress Oscar, but damned if I don't think she should have won.

Right there with ya Hostile16. McTeer's scenes with Close were the highpoints of the film. I'll email ya to chat more about the film ok? 'Cause I don't know anyone else who has seen it.

I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled, and then a root canal and a crown. Yay?!

I had the same trifecta done a few years back neighbors. But it was just one wisdom tooth.Still...not fun. Luckily that particular extraction was considered surgery so I had to pay zilch, which I was happily shocked about when the receptionist told me. Usually those suckers cost in the 500 - 600+ range. But it was deep in the gum or something like that and lots of sawing,pulling and such went on. Just load me up with novocaine,that's all I cared about.
Good luck with all the dental work. Get lots of milkshakes afterwards!
BTW- I think the second doctor is cuter! He looks like some actor out there.

After work tomorrow, I'm taking my friend out to dinner(because I never gave her a birthday present back in April) so I thought hey, I'll just buy you a nice dinner for a present. Plus I get to eat too! We're going to PF Chang's. I've never been and always wanted to go. Hope it's good. Anyone recommend? The Moo Shu Chicken sounds good.

Have fun at the Chicago MM!

Edited by valny, May 24, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

cko

cko

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

Goodness those are two very attractive dentists. Not positive I'd want that, though. Sure it'd be nice as you drift off in a laughing gas haze, but when you awaken, drooling, with a versed drip in your arm, it might feel a tad awkward.

Which is just my way of saying that I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, and it wasn't all that bad. :)

Darkpool

Darkpool

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

I had my wisdom teeth out in high school. They weren't impacted, so it went pretty easy. So easy, in fact, that the dentist was able to use a local and let me watch. Lots of blood, very little pain. And I rode my bike home afterwards.

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Valny, there's some sort of dish at PFChang's that has melon and chicken. It sounds not that good, but IT IS DELICIOUS!

journeywoman

journeywoman

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

We're going to PF Chang's. I've never been and always wanted to go. Hope it's good. Anyone recommend?

Not really our kind of place so I will give the advice we always give: draw a one-hour driving circle around your home, locate all Chinese restaurants within said circle, take a cruise-by looking for preferably holes-in-the-wall (neon can often signify this), after narrowing choices on the second round approach short-listed restaurants and look for the highest ratio of Asian to Caucasian. This has almost always resulted in good to great food for us.

Last night I you-tubed all of Donald Driver's dances on DWTS. Must say he had some decent tangos, waltzes, and a fun jive. Then I watched the season finale of Modern Family. Then I watched the premier of So You Think You Can Dance. The young gentleman who did the slow hip-hop/break-dance to semi-classical music and said it was a tribute to his friend who died in NY in 9/11 totally broke my heart.

Best of luck to Erratic and Neighbors with their various surgeries. And a good Memorial Weekend to all (even you non-U.S.ers.)

Edited by journeywoman, May 26, 2012 @ 4:02 PM.

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Knee surgery vibes to Erratic and dental vibes to neighbors.

Nice to see you, Hostile.

harvester

harvester

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Yeesh, that is a lot of dental work neighbors. Vibes for painless procedures are coming your way.

I'm off to Denver for the weekend. It is my nephew's birthday so that will be fun. I live in a "resort" town now, and it is fucking nuts here this weekend. A quick grocery run led to me sitting in traffic for forever. Leaving for this weekend sounds like a good idea.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone!

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Surgery vibes (knee and teeth) to all.

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 18. The two lower teeth were impacted, and the other two came in sideways. It was a no brainer, even though I looked like a chipmunk for a week or so. Seriously- I looked like I had stuff a million acorns into my cheeks. I am sure that you won't look like that- it doesn't sound like your teeth are impacted.

I hope the Chicago MM-con happens. And that neighbors, can make it. Having met the superb cko, you will have a fantabulous time.

So I've discovered kale chips. I'm not sure I *like* them, but they are spicy, and isn't kale supposed to be good for you? What do others think?

Everyone, have an awesome and amazing and muppetational Memorial Day.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

TGIF and a three day weekend!

Took my friend out for dinner for her late b-day present and then went to a place where they have about 60 flavors of gelato. Stomach full. Oh my dad bought pizza for his dinner,so I couldn't pass up a slice, it's pizza for goodness sake!

Something weird happened before- I have an electric razor that I use sometimes, so after I used it I go to turn if off, the damn thing won't turn off! I pushed and pushed the button,knocked it against the desk hoping I'd jar something, but it's still all zzzzzzzzz. And it's fully charged so that thing is right beside me on my bed, still buzzing like crazy! I managed to open the spot where the on/off button mechanism is, and see if I could fool around in there, but nothing I did worked. It has a mind of it's own. It's so annoying! Shut uuuuuup! Oh dear lord, after about a half hour it's finally dying down now, it's on it's last slow paced buzzing. Farewell stupid razor. *waits* Damn, will you die already! This might take longer than I thought.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

Edited by valny, May 25, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

valny, please, pleeeease, tell me that the you have the buzzing, vibrating mechanism in bed with you for a damn good reason :)

kpc throw out the kale chips and buy yourself an "electric razor" ;)

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

As someone who has gone through more than his share of dental surgery this past 4 weeks, I definitely feel your pain, neighbors. That goes for any others in a similar situation. And vibes to all.

Have fun at the Capone meet-up, all who are attending. Just remember, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Or, is it always bring a gun to a knife fight? Whatever it is, Sean Connery recommended it.