Someplace That's Else: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

65346 replies to this topic

journeywoman

journeywoman

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

That's some deep water to be swimming in Harvester. My sympathy for the family and friends. Last night I attended a two-hour class at church put on by a local hospice-care. It was very enlightening in helping to identify the types of communication the dieing engage in and how not to blow off seemingly "hallucinatory" messages. The teacher has worked in hospice-care for over a decade and she commented on how she had never come across a patient talking to a "hallucinatory" person who was still alive, it was always the dead they were engaged in conversation with.

It was a hard three days but I'm proud of the work everyone did. Plus I learned a lot of new swear words in several languages. ;-)

Well mommyof3, that seems like a good skill to have.

Taylork I've been meaning to comment for a while on how much I enjoy your blog. Love, love, love your photography and snark. Good work!

taylork

taylork

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Wow, vibes to Harvester. I'm so sorry for all those people dealing with such tragedy.

Thanks, journeywoman, glad you're enjoying!

mommyof3, the story about Avery is so sad. We actually have family friends who had a daughter with SMA a few years ago. She's still going strong, is actually starting kindergarten, and her parents have founded an increasingly successful charity for SMA research. Check them out here.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

harvester, I'll just echo what cko said. Major vibes heading your way. I'll even throw in some no-more-bleeding eye problems for free. We're overstocked on those vibes.

harvester

harvester

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Thanks for the vibes everyone. I am totally fine, but everyone around me is having truly shit times.

Well, I'm fine except for morning nosebleeds. The eye is fine and the nose got jealous. What the fuck is up with my face?

mommyof3

mommyof3

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Vibes to Harvester's face. That's kind of a weird thing to say, but the sentiment stands.

Taylork, that page was like a recipe for weeping. The song is a tearjerker anyway, the top of the page said "Learning about SMA from Avery's bucket list?", and Charlie-Anne just made me boo-hoo. *donates*

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Vibes for harvester, and her friends who are having unhappy times.

And tell your nose to stop bleeding. And if you have an iron deficiency, eat some spinach and a burger. :)

Helmets on everyone. Hopefully the Full Moon on Saturday will bring good vibes and good karma back into everyone's lives.

Cupcakes, hugs, and sunshiny days for everyone.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

My friend at work got a call this morning that her brother who was vacationing in Mexico died suddenly. Obviously she is devastated. This full moon week needs to be over.

Helmets buckled, people!

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Vibes to your friend Erratic.

I'm adding virtual body armor of Ironman Strength and flexibility to everyone.

My sister was in a car accident- one of those highway car hits car hits car hits car etc. etc. She was somewhere in the middle and she IS OKAY- her car is totaled. She's banged up, I think her wrist is sprained (she doesn't want to see a doctor and I want someone to MAKE her). but she is okay and stressing about how much it's going to cost to get a new car.

Cars can be replaced. She can't. I'm so glad she is okay. Whew.

So everyone look both ways before you cross the street, eat sensibly, wash your hands, and don't decide that this week is the perfect time to sky dive, climb everest, go spelunking on mars and/or attempt time travel, okay?

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Holy shit. I'm feeling pretty glad at the moment that I'm virtually house-bound, 'cause damn. Vibes to everyone who's been close to some scary shit lately.

Let's be careful out there.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Damn, what the hell ? No more horrible news please. I think we hit the MM quota. Vibes and hugs to all going through crappy news.

In lighter news, my nephew Ryan was on a crazy reality game show called Total Blackout, where contestants are in total darkness and have to feel,smell objects and identify them. He's not a contestant but an object. They had his head sticking out from small tank,like a fishtank....(he was rocking a mohawk) so the people were sticking their hands in and mainly feeling his mohawk. It was funny to see him on tv like that. I didn't even know about this until last week, apparently my sister said he didn't want anyone to know. Yeah, I can see why.
It's on the SyFy channel and being rerun at 12am if anyone wants to check it out. He's in the first 5 minutes so at least I didn't have to wait long to see him.
Yep... Don't all rush at once. :)
But you can see him at the end of this promo.

Edited by valny, May 2, 2012 @ 10:02 PM.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I'm feeling pretty glad at the moment that I'm virtually house-bound, 'cause damn.

Seriously--I'm thinking that I got off easy with just falling on the sidewalk.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I just totally lost it with my best friend in the entire world because she decided to go vegetarian! This full moon is a right werewolf moon.

That being said, I know that she loves red meat, and that she's only doing this for her girlfriend. Which is totally her right and a nice move, and yes, I went pescatarian last year for a month, and why the fuck am I feeling so irrational about this?

Oh, and a liberal sprinkling of vibes, helmets and Tibetan chants and charms to ward off the moon's effects.

Edited by Erratic, May 3, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

cko

cko

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I guess there is something in the air, or the sky, or something is in retrograde, because I have been feeling off for no reason. Let's find a way to turn this around, people!

Meanwhile, be careful!

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

He's not a contestant but an object.

This is...so weird.

why the fuck am I feeling so irrational about this?

You're afraid she'll be able to stay vegetarian, while you couldn't make it past Thansgiving? ;-)

Vibes all around. Be careful out there.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

My sister was in a car accident- one of those highway car hits car hits car hits car etc. etc. She was somewhere in the middle and she IS OKAY- her car is totaled. She's banged up, I think her wrist is sprained (she doesn't want to see a doctor and I want someone to MAKE her). but she is okay and stressing about how much it's going to cost to get a new car.

Hopefully this is a sign the tide is changing? Stay safe. In good news, we had a potluck, I made food for about 18 people. I made Moghlai Parathas* (I'd only made like 2/3 before this in December) and Chicken Pakodas** (first time, almost) and people praised them and I didn't poison anyone. So, yay?

I just totally lost it with my best friend in the entire world because she decided to go vegetarian! This full moon is a right werewolf moon.

That being said, I know that she loves red meat, and that she's only doing this for her girlfriend. Which is totally her right and a nice move, and yes, I went pescatarian last year for a month, and why the fuck am I feeling so irrational about this?

I read this first as you losing your best friend because of her becoming a vegetarian. And I understood? I'm still annoyed by one of my best friend's diets - which he went on while studying at Falmouth! Gah. I love him. But he's so annoying. (And his wife is vegetarian too. Gah. We don't know what to feed them when they come over, even though Bong veg food rocks.)Either way, is okay. Just tell her to ensure that she has a lot of lentils (pulses), soya beans and garbanzo (?) beans in her diet to keep her protein intake up and stay healthy. And milk. When I was vegetarian for a year, my blood pressure dropped, and there's no medicine for that. (Of course, I took that as an excuse to eat as much red meat as I want now :oD - and I have never checked my pressure since). /latest chapter of r i making it all about herself.

* I left off the cumin powder and the chaat masala - it's tasty enough without. And used ketchup instead of Aloo curry.
**No cumin, used just vinegar, you don't need curd & lemon juice & vinegar. Batter was liquid mixture of egg & maida (all purpose flour). Also I marinated overnight. ETA: Oh and no onions. Because - why?

Also ETA: No guarantee on the quality of the recipes on the websites I linked to. Meant to give you a high level view.

Edited by romantic idiot, May 3, 2012 @ 7:16 AM.

Boliver

Boliver

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

So everyone look both ways before you cross the street, eat sensibly, wash your hands, and don't decide that this week is the perfect time to sky dive, climb everest, go spelunking on mars and/or attempt time travel, okay?

Does being driven to and from work every weekday by a 16 year old who's had his license for 12 days count?

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Does being driven to and from work every weekday by a 16 year old who's had his license for 12 days count?

HELMET!!!!

Ugh, so I am still kind of concerned about the whole vegetarian-rant on my BFF last night. I mean, I doubt it has affected our friendship as she understands my rants and we laugh our way through our fights, but at the same time, I am pissed at her about this. Not because of the meatless diet, but because she is doing it because her girlfriend is doing it, and I suspect her girlfriend's motives. Girlfriend feels (correctly) that she is more invested in the relationship than my friend is, so she keeps making these little changes to my friend in an attempt to keep her. Rationally, I know that a diet change won't keep my friend in a relationship, but it's a culmination of several things recently, and my friend also is not blameless - she needs to shit or get off the pot. After four years, she needs to fully commit to this girlfriend, or leave her, not just tread water until someone better comes along. And, ultimately, their personal life is none of my business, but I am a control freak who just wants her friend to be happy.

*sighs* Thanks for letting me rant this out.

In other, happier news, this is something we could all get behnd

Edited by Erratic, May 3, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I don't know. Google is my friend yes, and I use it extensively, but sometimes I ask questions to also understand context that Google can't provide. It's the difference between looking up the meaning in a dictionary versus hearing it used in a sentence. Google is good, but it can't replace an explanation from a living, breathing, intelligent person in the know. IMO. We aren't smart enough yet to make computers (and search engines) that smart.

ETA: Also, sorry Erratic, but I don't like that link because I do believe there is no such thing as a stupid question. And getting answers like these stop people from asking questions they need answers to.

Edited by romantic idiot, May 3, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Hey, I have no problem with people asking me questions especially regarding context, but some people will go online and ask simple questions on forums as the only part of a post, and it seems to me that some of those questions could have been dealt with with less keyboard strokes by going to Google. If that person then wanted informed opinions on the subject, or follow up queries, ask away!

It was meant to be funny, not insulting.

Edited by Erratic, May 3, 2012 @ 12:04 PM.

journeywoman

journeywoman

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

OMB romantic idiot, those dishes are making me salivate. Maybe I can take the boy out for Indian food tonight. We are actually doing OK here other than needing some PT work. Safety bubbles to all in need.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

The thing is, I think there *is* such a thing as a stupid question, at least for adults. (Little kids are a different story.) JFGI isn't directed at people who ask bigger questions that require context or analysis, it's directed at people who ask really basic questions that they could resolve themselves if they put two seconds of effort in.

HELMETS! I planned to go to yoga today--my ankle is still a tiny bit tender from my fall, but I figured I'd be OK if I was careful. Then just before I left, I sneezed and pulled a bunch of muscles in my back and rib cage. What the crap is that?

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

It was meant to be funny, not insulting.

Oh, no, Erratic, sorry I didn't mean to say that you were being insulting. Or that the link is. I just don't like the link because it's designed to make a person feel stupid for asking questions. I am sorry.

**winces in sympathy for Chyna. I think all of you need to just crawl back into bed. If you choose not to, here's some argument to take your mind off things. But.

The thing is, I think there *is* such a thing as a stupid question, at least for adults. (Little kids are a different story.) JFGI isn't directed at people who ask bigger questions that require context or analysis, it's directed at people who ask really basic questions that they could resolve themselves if they put two seconds of effort in.

I get that it's designed for people who ask simple things. But if it's simple, does it really take a lot of effort to answer? I understand the value of independence and self sufficiency and how important this is, but there is some value in interaction? I could look up the value of pi, or I could ask what's the value of pi. And does it really take that much effort to say 22/7 or 3.14? It's a chance to connect with another person, to communicate, right?

I know I'm overthinking this - it's the Bong in me, but we used to have other versions of this - "what does delusion mean?" "Geez, have you heard of a dictionary?" which, I, personally, and only me dislike. Of course, that doesn't stop me from telling someone to look up stuff in google. I'm not saying people shouldn't ever. It's one of the best things on the internet, if not the world. But it's not always the answer either.

Edited by romantic idiot, May 3, 2012 @ 12:42 PM.

mommyof3

mommyof3

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

You know what is awesome? I mean really awesome? A letter. An actual letter on actual paper that someone sat down and wrote with a pen and paper.

Or a crayon in this case. I got a letter from a friend just a little while ago. She and her husband are in the process of moving, and she couldn't find a pen in all the chaos, so she borrowed her son's crayons. And she mailed me a five-page letter in purple, green, red, and black filled with encouragement.

It couldn't have arrived at a better time -- the situation of the past few months was really getting to me and this morning I was wondering how much more of this I could stand.

I love letters. I want to write someone a letter.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

I have decided to fill my heart with love today. I am going to walk around feeling emotions, possibly expressing them, we'll see. I'm not overly good at that.

romantic idiot, no sweat, dude. We all have very valid opinions in here, I love that we don't all feel the same way :)

mommyof3 - I adore letters too. When I was at boarding school we were forced to write at least one letter home each week, and you know, it's a dying art. I remember the excitement that we all had at breakfast each morning waiting to get released from the tables so we could spring to our homerooms and go through the piles of handwritten letters just hoping that one of them would be for me. And the anticipation of receiving one, and feeling how thick the envelope felt - that more than one page of writing was just soooo much better than that thin envelop.

I miss feeling that joy.

Nobody writes personal letters anymore, (and I am not counting Christmas letters), it's sad.

mommyof3

mommyof3

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Erratic, I like that thought. After my whiny "I can't take this any more" morning, I had encounters with two genuinely happy people that left an impression on me. One is the letter-writer I mentioned. She's had a hard life -- lost her sister at a young age and her mother to cancer a few years ago. But she and her husband are two of the happiest people I know. And they want to share that happiness around because they just have so much of it. She's ten years younger than me, but I want to be like her when I grow up.

The other is the HR person at my work. She's a stunningly beautiful young woman, inside and out. There's currently an internal email circulating about a sick little boy who's going to be in town today to go to the local children's hospital. His mom contacted us, said he's a big fan and wondered if he could see the studio briefly to help make the trip more cheerful. The HR girl is running around preparing a gift bag for him, offering to give him a piggyback ride while he's there, all sorts of things. (She's also been so kind and helpful as I try to transition up there. We were chatting one evening the last time I was in town. During the conversation, I casually mentioned a church event the kids were at. The day I got home, she sent me a big email suggesting some different churches in the area, saying "I know how hard it is to find a new church on top of moving your entire family, so maybe this will help you.")

She (and the letter-writer) just genuinely want to help make other people happy. No ulterior motive, no expectation of payback, they just do it because they're happy and want everyone else to be happy. Again, this woman is so much younger than me, but has a lot to teach me, I think.

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I like asking questions sometimes- aka "what is veronica mars?" not because I don't know that it's a tv show, but that I want to hear what other's experiences have been. But asking questions like, "who was the third president of the US" is indeed on the dimmer side of the lightbulb.

mo3, that's such a lovely story. It's great to remember that there ARE legitimately wonderful people who reach out to be nice to strangers.

You know what is awesome? I mean really awesome? A letter. An actual letter on actual paper that someone sat down and wrote with a pen and paper.

Oh, I have that dream too. Although in some cases I'd be happy to get an email. Texting drives me bonkers. Unless it's "I'm on 3rd St" or "running 5 minutes late," I don't want it on a text. IN fact, I tell most people I don't have a texting feature on my phone to save money. Only work people and a very rarified few have that privilege. If people not on the list try to text me, I ignore them completely. This probably means I am an awful person.

R_I, I love your recipes, and wish I had a fryer so I could try them.

erratic, I LOVED the peanut/grammar cartoon you posted on Facebook. It is HILARIOUS!

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

KPC, you should thank YME, as I just stole it from her :)

My BFF is awesome and not only forgave me for going insane on her yesterday, said that I had nothing to be forgiven for as she knew that I was just ranting and venting and it amuses her, even when she is the butt of my rants. Also, in the spirit of this crappy no good week, when I begged her to stay off her motorbike from now until Monday, she agreed without hesitation or asking me why. I just love her.

Edited by Erratic, May 3, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Nothing as tragic as you all, but this week at work has been really nuts---lots of eff'ed up shit between kids, which means dealing with parents; a difficult colleague; exciting but stressful new responsibilities---and I am very, very tired.

Superflyse

Superflyse

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I moved to Toronto and I've mainly spent my time in my basement on the internet. I think I need something to inspire me to actually go out into the world.

Or a job...

This is getting to me and in perspective my week has fared much better than everyone else's so I need to stick to my guns of the it isn't that bad.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Dude! 'Lost Girl' films in Toronto, and they're in production right now. Go and intern there!

You intern for free, make some connections, get your foot in the door, and you are in business!

Plus... Free spoilers for Erratic. Everyone wins :)