Someplace That's Else: The Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

65346 replies to this topic

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

People.... I watched Breaking Dawn Pt 1- Somebody hold me!

My friend loaned me her Breaking Dawn dvd about a month ago, I finally got around to watching. I've always had much better things to watch instead, which is pretty easy to find. It might be my least favorite of the series, not that the others were any good, but it's my least favorite of the not....good?

****spoilers ahead, this film doesn't even deserve spoiler bars*****
It only got semi-interesting in the last half hour with the whole crazy super fast growing baby thing. Oh geez. And there's that awful scene with the wolves "talking" to each other that is so bad I couldn't even laugh at it, and I heard even the Twi-hards were chuckling and knew how bad it was when watching in the theaters. Also hate that pale makeup the guy vamps only seem to have on them,it's disturbing and laughable.
Now I'm off to listen as people make fun of it at the site called How Did This Get Made?..where they dissect terrible films like this. I tried putting the link here but it's not working. See that, the movie is so bad,it's infected the link!
Let's try this then: http://www.funnyordi...aking-dawn-pt-1

Just took me and the offspring out for a truly awesome birthday dinner. It was wicked expensive but well worth it. Just amazing food.

What did you have to eat dusky?

KPC- Glad you're visiting your stepdad.

english- have fun again when you go on your 75th NYC visit! :) have you seen almost every play yet?!

Between all the little price drops, a minor date change, and some awesome discounts, I ended up saving $516 from the original trip price!

Score!

Edited by valny, Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

Way to go english. Maybe you can send some of your mojo my way. I'm trying to plan a Rome - Chicago - New York - Rome trip, but it is wicked expensive. You get good deals only if you fly to and from the same city. Boo!
I want to make a stop over in NY damn it!

The other option would be to fly to NY, then take a domestic flight to Chicago, then go back to NY and then home. I have to think about it.

I'm glad you had a nice dinner, dusky. You very much deserve it.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Yay for travel mojo, good dinners, and healthier stepdads!

Has the second Breaking Dawn come out yet? That's what I wonder about, since the whole *spoilers, I suppose* "biting the vamp baby out of Bella's uterus with Edward's teeth" seems as though it's going to be difficult to get less than an 'R' rating on.

Or maybe it's already happened! My amount of caring is rather low. ;)

harvester

harvester

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

The preview for Breaking Dawn Part II was before The Hunger Games which I went to see again yesterday. The big yikes moment involves Bella looking at a deer. Frightening stuff that. I think it will come out this summer so there is still plenty of time to get tickets.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

whole *spoilers, I suppose* "biting the vamp baby out of Bella's uterus with Edward's teeth" seems as though it's going to be difficult to get less than an 'R' rating on.

Seriously. My SIL gets all bent out of shape about what's "appropriate" for my 13-year-old niece (The Hunger Games is her latest target), yet they let her read Breaking Dawn when she was 10 and she thought that was fine. I don't get it, because that birth scene sounds more gruesome than anything I've ever read in an adult novel.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Has the second Breaking Dawn come out yet? That's what I wonder about, since the whole *spoilers, I suppose* "biting the vamp baby out of Bella's uterus with Edward's teeth" seems as though it's going to be difficult to get less than an 'R' rating on. Or maybe it's already happened! My amount of caring is rather low. ;)

Yeah, you would be right, that happened already in part one Annie.. It was bizarre. I don't blame you at all for not caring. :)

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

That already happened, huh? Then what the heck is the whole movie going to be about? Maybe there will be some scenes that show Jacob imprinting on the infant Renesmee? 'Cause that should make for some good entertainment right there, you betcha. Not at all creepy, nuh-uh.

I was going to say that it's weird that I can remember character names, but not any plot details, but HA! That's because there is hardly any plot in those dang books. Pages and pages of nothing happening. Sometimes literally! Ugh, what a horrible series that is,

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

I was in a bookstore at the height of the Twilight nonsense, and of course, near the register was all the Twilight paraphernalia.

Tween girl behind me in line: "Mom, are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?"
Tween's mom: "I'm Team Too-Old-to-Care."

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Trudi, you should buy a separate ticket for NY-CHI. Check out Southwest airlines, they are usually really cheap, as are others I'm sure.

Happy Easter. We had an Easter Egg hunt with the neighbor kids this morning and it was adorable. Now, I'm thinking of making Easter dinner. All of a sudden today I decided we should have scalloped potatoes, but that means I have to run to the store. Yuck. I really don't want to do that. But I should because I seriously love scalloped potatoes.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

If you ever get the idea to smoke pork over a charcoal BBQ, do yourself a favor and don't. Trying to keep a charcoal fire consistently between 200-235F is not as easy as you'd think. 6 hours turns to 9 hours, and pulled pork sandwiches, while delicious, are not the best 10pm meal. And our coats smell like BBQ smoke.

Today, roast lamb! Yum.

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, neighbors.

Happy Easter!

Or Bunday!

Or Eggday!

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

We make pulled pork in our slow cooker. Just put it in there with root beer (so weird, I know) and cook forever...or 6 or 8 hours. Whatever. And then when its done, you drain off the rootbeer, shred the pork, add BBQ sauce and cook some more.

IT'S DELICIOUS!

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Oh, I've slow-cooked pork with root beer. And will again. Slow smoking it on charcoal tastes amazing, but fuck that for a game of soldiers!

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Harvester, I quoted you on my blog. Your Jane Eyre quote from the weekend is still cracking me up. For those of you that didn't see it, she said, "It's just so ludicrous. Listen lady, you've been acting crazy. Your ass is living in the attic now. What could go wrong with this plan? Just in case, I'll leave you with an alcoholic nurse and some matches."

Hee!

harvester

harvester

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I've never been blog quoted before. I am truly honored.

cko

cko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

I have never been blog-quoted. I've never made slow cooked pork with root beer.

I have not yet done my taxes.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I did my taxes last week and it was an enormous pain in the ass. Self-employment makes things really complicated--the biggest motivator was the knowledge that I would be getting a refund.

But here's my friend's problem: She and her wife have a civil union, as allowed in the state of Illinois, so they can file jointly in the state. However, since their union isn't recognized federally, they still have to file their federal taxes as individuals. Fucking ridiculous.

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Taxes. Ick. I wouldn't mind paying them if I thought our public schools/infrastructure were excellent.

Chyna, how awful that your friends have this issue. It is indeed ridiculous.

cko, I've never been blog quoted or made slow cooked pork ever. We should start a support group. ;)

I am super happy to report that my stepfather is amazing. He's cranky that he is not back to 100% (a bare month away from his surgery). I was SO GLAD to see him, to be able to hug him, and to take short walks with him. It's such a relief.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend away from brush fires.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Wonderful news about your stepdad, KPC. And, also glad that you were finally able to make it home last night.

Chyna, you are so right about how stupid it is for your friend and her wife to have to file separate federal returns.

Never quoted in a blog post, although I have had two letters to the editor published. Never slow-cooked pork. But, I did my taxes and received my refunds. I'm getting ready to leave early to meet Mom and have her taxes done. Hours of fun and enjoyment lie ahead.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

That's great news about your stepdad, KPC. I think it's usually a good sign when the patient is a little pissed about not being 100% yet. Having a little fight in you always helps!

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Yay for KPC's cranky stepdad!

I hope everyone has had a good weekend away from brush fires.

I haven't noticed any signs of smoke coming my way. Guess it depends on which way the wind was blowing.

Edited by valny, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:37 PM.

journeywoman

journeywoman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I am super happy to report that my stepfather is amazing.

Aw, it feels good to be sharing vicariously in your happiness KPC.

I've been trying to keep up but have been super swamped at work which has led to much stress and hurt feelings. It will pass though. The good news, indeed the really great news, is that we have an accepted offer on my Mom's home. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I will be when we hand the keys over. There are so many homes for sale that robbers are breaking & entering and stripping any valuable metals, as happened to my Mom's neighbor's house.

Our visit to my sis's was fun and relaxing. We went to the humane center to play with the cats for a bit and some poor lady entered sobbing as she had to surrender her cat. I phoned the shelter the next day to see if I could sponsor her cat for her but it turns out it was an allergy situation. We also went horse-back riding and walked to the lake to listen to the loons and my sis taught me how to knit a really cool scarf. So good times to recharge.

Brr, it seems so cold now in comparison to last month. Today I broke down and bought a pair of Teva sandals. For some reason they make me feel like an old lady but if they allow me to vacation for a full day of activity without my knees or back hurting, well then that is what my feet are wearing.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

I love my Tevas. I've had the same pair for at least 8 years or so, and I wear them almost constantly in the summer. I get Teva tan lines on my feet. They're easy on your feet if you have to do a lot of walking, they can get wet, and they're easy to clean if they get dirty.

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I have teva sandals. They are awesome. Listen to [b]chyna/b]- she speaks the truth.

I indulged in many foods this past holiday weekend. I even had a little lamb. Baaaa!

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I just almost ran over the 'ghetto' 'letter' dude backing out of my driveway. Seriously, like I only missed him by 2 feet. Damn.

Now I'm at the hospital with my Mom, she is getting some more tests done, she's been pretty sick lately so some good news vibes would be appreciated. But it gives me plenty of time with some free wifi to just sit and mess around on the internets today.

My oldest has become obsessed with One Direction, it's insane and funny at same time. So, anyway, she really wants to go to the concert, which is sold out. Her friend, who is equally obsessed, and also has parents with more financial resources than us, has been trying to get tickets via scalpers and such and Ali just doesn't understand that we can't spend 200 bucks on one ticket for her to see a boy band. She tells this to her friend, who tells her dad, who then, with the best intentions, buys a ticket for Ali. Pretty awesome right? So nice of him to buy her a ticket... Except he gets them tickets for the concert in Tampa. Florida. We live in Virginia. What the hell? Now I have to buy her a plane ticket? And give her spending money for 2 days in Florida? They may be rich, but we ain't! (that 'ain't' was for emphasis, btw) I mean, that's a bit presumptuous on his part, right?

Edited by ZenLizzy, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:08 AM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Ouch! Yeah, that's a little over-stepping. Why would you buy *anything* for someone else's kid without checking with the parents first? Even if the tickets were for Virginia, I'd be miffed as a parent if someone else decided to 'allow' my kids to go without checking with me.

One Direction? Really?

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

One Direction? Really?

Yep. She's 13, what are ya gonna do? We did have to ban One Direction talk from the dinner table though, that's all she wants to talk about. Ah, to be young and have poorly developed music tastes.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Yeah, that is presumptuous, but in my experience, a lot of rich folks just don't Get It. Like when he hears that you can't spend $200 on a concert ticket, it doesn't even cross his mind that you can't spend *more* than that on plane fare and hotels. My BIL is the same way.

trudi_tru

trudi_tru

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Well, since he bought the concert ticket, he might as well pay for the plane ticket and hotel.

I never went through a boy band phase. I liked Take That, but I was't obsessed with them. A lot of my friends were, though.

journeywoman

journeywoman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Or he does get it and intends to pick up the air tab as well because it is important to him that his daughter have this moment with a friend. My best friend's daughter has a friend similarly situated financially and they were more than willing to pay my friend's daughter's expenses for Florida over spring break. The rich couple admire said friend's daughter's...morality for lack of a better word and wanted her along with them on vacation.

I just almost ran over the 'ghetto' 'letter' dude backing out of my driveway. Seriously, like I only missed him by 2 feet. Damn.

Need to adjust your aim woman.