TV Actors We Hate

• Please log in to reply

6670 replies to this topic

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I want to slap her permasmirk off her face, too. And I find that I can't look at anything besides her mouth when she's onscreen.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

She was OK as Elaine Benes on "Seinfeld," but I've hated her in every other role I've seen her in. I saw a review recently of "The Veep," where the reviewer mentioned how she always brings that frazzled, slightly desperate persona to every character she plays, and I realized that's why I don't like her. If she's the same character, no matter what the role, then she's a terrible actress.

I'm totally with you here! The one difference is that I didn't even enjoy Elaine Benes much at all; at the time, I attributed that to the writing, but I've come to the sad conclusion that Julia Louis-Dreyfus just isn't an especially appealing, interesting or even amusing actress to me at all. And I thought she ranged from 'eh' to outright awful in her Arrested Development appearances, though maybe that's just in contrast to the rest of the (IMO) stellar cast?

And while Alyson Hannigan gets the (dis)honor of being my least favorite Whedonite actress for reasons I've already rambled about, (in fact, AH is among my picks for most egregiously annoying TV actresses ever, Whedonite or otherwise), I also have a major aversion to Amy Acker. It's not fair or rational, but she just elicits this reflexive "grrr...." reaction in me every time she appears on screen. Her voice, general affect, exaggeratedly wide-eyed facial expressions...and did I mention her voice?!

Edited by MsTaken, Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

For me the dishonorable mention in the Whedonverse goes to Eliza Dushku. IMHO, she's a very limited actress, and not nearly as 'hot' as Mr. Whedon would like us to believe. I hope he gets over his crush on her before he unleashes Ms. Dushku on us again.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

For me the dishonorable mention in the Whedonverse goes to Eliza Dushku.

Oh, yes, how could I forget to mention Eliza Dushku?! Just trying to block her out, perhaps ;)I agree that she has a depressingly limited range, and despite how clunkily and frequently we're reminded of how very, very "sexy" we're all supposed to find her, I don't even think she's all that attractive.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I also have a major aversion to Amy Acker.

I saw Amy Acker on a few episodes of Alias, where she was acting more normal than on Angel. She was pretty good. I blame Whedon for making her irritating.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I blame Whedon for making her irritating.

I don't think all the blame should go to him. I've seen her in a few other things and the "Fred" comes through almost every time (with the exception of her appearance on Alias). My teeth hurt from all the clenching every time she is on my screen.
Still, I think Whedon had a rare talent to select actors that I find incredibly annoying and limited.
In order from most irritating to a normal degree of irritating: Amy Acker, Eliza Dushku, Alyson Hannigan, Sarah Michelle Gellar. Yes, I said it. Buffy was riddled with terrible actors/actresses. That's why I never quite got into it. SMG got a little better but I still don't like her. The others, not so much.
Since I'm at it: If I never see David Boreanaz again, it will be too soon. It's downright ridiculous to see him act and get paid for it.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

The Whedonite I can't stand is James Marsters. For all of his much-lauded "talent" I find him simply adequate. Maybe if he was capable of dialing it back from eleven I'd be able to agree that he's as amazing as some seem to think he is, but his continued attempts to be the Spinal Tap of actors leaves me cold. Of course part of it is writing since h his character was pretty repugnant even when they tried to say he was a hero but that's not all that was wrong there.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

For me the dishonorable mention in the Whedonverse goes to Eliza Dushku. IMHO, she's a very limited actress, and not nearly as 'hot' as Mr. Whedon would like us to believe. I hope he gets over his crush on her before he unleashes Ms. Dushku on us again.

That was why I was actually relieved when Whedon's Wonder Woman fell through, because I lived in fear he'd cast freaking Eliza Dushku in the role. Apparently, my fears were wrong because I heard he was actually thinking of Morena Baccarin instead, but I was really worried he'd go there. And I'm glad they already introduced Black Widow in Iron Man 2, because if not, I would have put money he'd would have tried to get Dushku in that role for The Avengers (I'm not even a huge fan of Scarlett Johansson, but Dushku makes her look like Meryl Streep.) So, yeah, I really don't get her appeal.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Watching shows that I loved as a child in syndication now makes me so sad. So many actors, so little space:
The entire Friends cast - I still think it's a fun show to watch, but holy crap they're not great actors. They just got characters that were similar to the real them. In everything I've seen from every single one of them post-Friends, they play a variation of the same person with limited range. Movies, TV dramas, romantic comedies, black comedies etc...They're not talented, just incredibly lucky. Until they can prove that they're actually talented, they need to get off my TV immediately.

Everybody Loves Raymond - the entire cast except Peter Boyle (RIP). Ray gets in this list only because I find his voice grating, but I don't think his acting is too terrible (Men of a Certain Age proved that to me). But Patricia Heaton and Doris Roberts and those kids. Geeze. Those kids were so useless, I don't feel the need to write anything. Doris Roberts played up this annoying "know it all" woman and then this ageism crap to some insane degree. I may hate Hot in Cleveland and maybe be over Betty White, but at least she's gracious and adorable. I've found nothing redeemable about Doris Roberts. Patricia Heaton has made all of her characters over the top bitchy and she doesn't seem much better in real life. Hollywood doesn't like Conservatives? You elected freaken Arnold (a Republican) as the governor of California. Spare me the persecuted act. If you think it's your political leaning that's costing you jobs, perhaps you should ask to watch your audition tapes. Brad Garret has terrible TV roles and does a terrible job acting in them, but he is legit funny.

Alexis Bleidel - Gilmore Girls is still one of my favorite shows to rewatch, but with each rewatch, I hate her acting more and more. At first it fit her character, but then even her portrayal of Rory was pretty one note. She took the character of Rory and brought her into every movie she's ever done since.

Jared Padelicki - His acting = clench jaw + angry glare + whiny line delivery.

Michael Richards - The worst racist stand up/improv act and his depiction of Kramer doesn't really endear him to me. Don't know why people love his character so much. His apology on either Leno or Letterman was crap to.

Mariska Hargitay - One episode of SVU = pout, serious face, constipated flirt face, serious face, angry face, sad face. Now it's just botox face with indignant speeches.

David Caruso - He talks as though he's about to keel over in any minute and all he does is put on/take off his sunglasses. The worst part? He thinks he's a great actor.

George Eads - Something about his interviews drive me crazy. He seems to think that the original CSI relies on him to succeed. Besides clenching his jaw and staring at something on his forceps does he actually act?

Puffy Vincent D'Onofrio - I'm convinced he got huge because he went from scene chewing to eating up the scene for real, twitching as he went along. And then...the...way....he....speaks......just........can't...seem...to get........words........out. Weird thing is, he started out really good. I don't think I've seen anyone regress to this degree on tv. But the more I hear interviews from him, the more irritated I get by him. He plays up the whole "starving NYC actor thing" while being the former lead + unofficial executive of one of the most well known franchises ever. Please, spare me.

Olivia Munn - Just not funny. Ruins any episode of The Daily Show she has ever been on. Makes me sad she was the Asian correspondent. I've honestly never been happier for someone to get cast in another show, because that meant she couldn't be on TDS anymore.

Bill Maher - He has this smarmy self-righteous asshole vibe that just pisses me off. And when his audience doesn't laugh at a joke, he gets upset at them. I understand why the right always targets him when they want to make a point, he makes it SO freaken easy.

George Lopez - Hate to kick a man while he's down but he's just not funny. The way he delivers jokes is just annoying.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Michael Richards - The worst racist stand up/improv act and his depiction of Kramer doesn't really endear him to me. Don't know why people love his character so much. His apology on either Leno or Letterman was crap to.

I totally hate him. The character of Kramer made me wince every single time he did one of his 'crazy' entrances into Jerry's apartment. The fact that he turned out to be a racist jerk only made me feel even better about my opinion of his 'acting'.

Mariska Hargitay - One episode of SVU = pout, serious face, constipated flirt face, serious face, angry face, sad face. Now it's just botox face with indignant speeches.

I don't know if I really 'hate' her, but I do think she's wildly overrated. And it's not just the fact that Olivia Benson is such a smug, humorless, annoying character. I hated her 'sponge of neediness' character on ER, too.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Jared Padelicki - His acting = clench jaw + angry glare + whiny line delivery.

Heh---it's so sadly true. I've tried to give Jared Padalecki the benefit of the doubt because he comes across like a genuinely decent guy and (IMO, of course!) has happened to play two poorly written characters---Gilmore Girls' Dean and Supernatural's Sam---who range from having no definition/personality whatsoever to being outright unlikable. But it recently occurred to me that JP's acting is a significant factor in why these characters are so unlikable to me; it's not just the admittedly crappy writing. He has this gift for seeming perpetually petulant, sulky and pissed off even when the scene in no way calls for it. And you're totally right on the exaggerated jaw clenching and unintentionally humorous "angry glare" that he employs in, like, pretty much every scene. As a Gilmore Girls fanatic, I've always wanted to at least mildly enjoy and appreciate the Rory/Dean relationship, but alas, I just find myself rejoicing all zillion (okay, three) times they break up, and getting a hiatus from JP's acting is a major reason why.

Rashida Jones has actually become the female equivalent of Jared Padalecki for me: someone I've genuinely wanted to like and who IMO happens to have played two underwritten, personality-challenged, poorly defined roles (that I've seen); but who makes those roles even less likable and interesting because she seems perpetually irritated and pissed off to me even when I'm fairly certain the scene doesn't call for it; and whose 'range' appears limited to only one or two facial expressions and an almost identical line delivery over and over.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

George Eads - Something about his interviews drive me crazy. He seems to think that the original CSI relies on him to succeed. Besides clenching his jaw and staring at something on his forceps does he actually act?

Does trying to convince people that he and Eric Szmanda were just roommates count?

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

That was why I was actually relieved when Whedon's Wonder Woman fell through, because I lived in fear he'd cast freaking Eliza Dushku in the role. Apparently, my fears were wrong because I heard he was actually thinking of Morena Baccarin instead, but I was really worried he'd go there. And I'm glad they already introduced Black Widow in Iron Man 2, because if not, I would have put money he'd would have tried to get Dushku in that role for The Avengers (I'm not even a huge fan of Scarlett Johansson, but Dushku makes her look like Meryl Streep.) So, yeah, I really don't get her appeal.

I believe Whedon mentioned after the deal fell through that he was writing Wonder Woman with Cobie Smulders in mind. Not coincidentally, she's now in The Avengers.

beakermuppet

beakermuppet

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Heh---it's so sadly true. I've tried to give Jared Padalecki the benefit of the doubt because he comes across like a genuinely decent guy and (IMO, of course!) has happened to play two poorly written characters---Gilmore Girls' Dean and Supernatural's Sam---who range from having no definition/personality whatsoever to being outright unlikable. But it recently occurred to me that JP's acting is a significant factor in why these characters are so unlikable to me; it's not just the admittedly crappy writing. He has this gift for seeming perpetually petulant, sulky and pissed off even when the scene in no way calls for it. And you're totally right on the exaggerated jaw clenching and unintentionally humorous "angry glare" that he employs in, like, pretty much every scene. As a Gilmore Girls fanatic, I've always wanted to at least mildly enjoy and appreciate the Rory/Dean relationship, but alas, I just find myself rejoicing all zillion (okay, three) times they break up, and getting a hiatus from JP's acting is a major reason why.

I have the same feeling about Paul Wesley from the Vampire Diaries. I've seen him described as an incredibly nuanced actor but I just don't see it. I see his version of angry as a tilt of the chin and a glazed expression, to me he just comes off as smug and petulant not angry. I want to like him, I just can't.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I've found nothing redeemable about Doris Roberts.

I couldn't agree more! Talk about a terrible actress... has Roberts EVER done a role that was any different from her "Raymond" one? Because if she has, I sure haven't seen it. And girlfriend has been around a LOOONNNGGG time.

In a similar vein, I also loathe Charlotte Rae, in every single thing I've ever seen her in. I don't understand the warm-and-fuzzy appeal she seems to have for so many children of the 70's and 80's; I can't stand the sight of her.

And not an actress, but a personality: Lara Spencer. She almost -- ALMOST -- made me stop watching "Antiques Roadshow" because of her incessantly loud, nonstop babbling.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

In a similar vein, I also loathe Charlotte Rae, in every single thing I've ever seen her in. I don't understand the warm-and-fuzzy appeal she seems to have for so many children of the 70's and 80's; I can't stand the sight of her.

For me it's her voice. It's so shrill.

Waltuckian

Waltuckian

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I feel the same way about Doris Roberts.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I cannot stand Jennifer Morrison in every role I've ever seen her in. Its the smug, superior attitude she brings to every role she plays from House to HIMYM to Once Upon a Time. She just never shows enough range for me to think its the characters rather than the actress that plays them.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

RE Jennifer Morrison: It's like her face is constantly scowling. She has btichface, and it puts me off.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

I hate Will Arnett. I don't find him funny at all -- except for his few appearances on "30 Rock," back when I watched it. I didn't like him on "Arrested Development," I didn't even watch that new show he's in, and I detest the commercials he's doing for the new Windows phone.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

Even worse was Running Wilde. What a horrible show that was.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

I hate Will Arnett, too partly because I never, ever got "Arrested Development", and partly because I would cringe at even the mention of his "30 Rock" character, Jack's archnemesis Devon Banks. Far sleazier than Jack ever imagined being, and without any of Jack's redeeming features.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Mike O'Malley from Yes, Dear. Never did I see someone make acting look like such hard work!

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

Mike O'Malley from Yes, Dear. Never did I see someone make acting look like such hard work!

Have you seen him on Glee? I used to hate him too until his Glee character came around. It really a departure from what he was known for before that and I think he's absolutely brilliant in the role.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Alyson Hannigan in BTVS. She was just all blinks and weird snorty breathing. What the hell was wrong with her?

In Boardwalk Empire, I found that Nucky's flapper girlfriend, Billie, had an endlessly annoying face. Objectively, I know she looks along the lines of what was 'in' then - but she just aggravates me.

JanetMacklin

JanetMacklin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

Leighton Meester - is she supposed to be a good actress because of Gossip Girl of all things? Not exactly a challenge. She's one of those actresses who, every line she says, she's banking on selling it because of how beautiful she's supposed to be. Even if said character is doing something or saying something that is evil.

Max Greenfield - I really don't get the hype. At all. I'm annoyed every time his character is onscreen.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

Have you seen him on Glee? I used to hate him too until his Glee character came around. It really a departure from what he was known for before that and I think he's absolutely brilliant in the role.

I know! He's lovely on Glee and that's in a show where many cast members are exhausting to watch. I blame Yes Dear. Everyone was awful in it.

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:32 AM

Karen Gillan from Dr. Who. I found her portrayal of Amy Pond very forced and exaggerated. Because of her, I could not watch the entire last season. She's one companion I really wish they had killed off.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

Alyson Hannigan in BTVS. She was just all blinks and weird snorty breathing. What the hell was wrong with her?

Heh. Yes, IMO she is the worst. I'll never forgive the poor woman for making it almost impossible for me to enjoy rewatching Buffy. And don't get me started on any of her post-Buffy projects: that grossly self-conscious 'adorableness', breathless baby girl cooing, forced cutesy stammering and wide-eyed 'golly gee, do you mean ME?!' preciousness was nauseating enough when she was supposed to be playing a teenager. But her adult roles have also been marred (for me) by those same icky tics and mannerisms. She's on my relatively short "if she's in it, I can't watch it" list. Another Whedon favorite, the similarly wide-eyed, breathy, creepily 'baby girl'-ish Amy Acker gets this same (dis)honor.

I still have an embarrassingly deep love for Gilmore Girls and many of its actors (yes, I even like the widely mocked Alexis Bledel and think she was perfectly cast for that role), but I have this irrational loathing for Matt Czuchry. There's just something so smarmy and unappealing about him to me, which is especially unfortunate given that we were supposed to believe he was the most gorgeous, irresistible charmer on the planet. And, for the love of God, please have that indelible smirk surgically removed from your face! Gah.

Similarly, Scott Cohen (aka Gilmore Girls' Max and other roles on other shows as well) just always seems smarmy and pompus to me even when the role doesn't call for it. And I know we're supposed to think he's attractive and charismatic, but I just don't see him as either---and I've tried!

I also really hate Kathleen Wilhoite, who played Liz on Gilmore Girls and has had a bunch of other fast-forward-worthy appearances on other shows. Her voice, her mannerisms, her look...they all just irk me beyond reason.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

I also really hate Kathleen Wilhoite, who played Liz on Gilmore Girls and has had a bunch of other fast-forward-worthy appearances on other shows. Her voice, her mannerisms, her look...they all just irk me beyond reason

I've been actively repulsed by Wilhoite for a long time, starting with her recurring role as Benny's girlfriend, later wife, on LA Law, but most especially during her time as Chloe Lewis on ER and yes, including her appearances on Gilmore Girls. In fact, I can't remember I single time I found her at all interesting or appealing as an actress - and she's been on a lot of shows I watched and a few movies I've seen.