TV Actors We Love

• Please log in to reply

1145 replies to this topic

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

I've always liked Neil Patrick Harris - as a person, anyway, I could never get into HIMYM and haven't seen much of his other work - but after last night's Tony Awards, I'm madly in love with him. He is so charming and ridiculously talented. I normally don't care for film actors headlining onstage, but I'd pay to see him in a musical.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

The recent all-star revival of "Company" that ran a very lmited engagement with the New York Philharmonic earlier this year was filmed and will play in various theaters around the country on four dates, the first of which is this Wednesday. They showed a cut-down number on the Tony broadcast - "Side by Side".

In addition to Harris in the central role, it stars Patti LuPone, Stephen Colbert, Christina Hendricks, Jon Cryer and... well, lots of good people.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

NPH also co-starred with Patti Lupone and George Hearn in a concert version of "Sweeney Todd". He was great. He has done several performances of Sweeney Todd.

His Broadway performance of The Emcee in "Cabaret" has earned him the top ranking over John Stamos and Alan Cumming by GuestStarCasting.com

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

I've always liked Neil Patrick Harris - as a person, anyway, I could never get into HIMYM and haven't seen much of his other work - but after last night's Tony Awards, I'm madly in love with him. He is so charming and ridiculously talented. I normally don't care for film actors headlining onstage, but I'd pay to see him in a musical.

Not a musical, but I saw him in Proof in 2002 (along with Anne Heche). Hadn't seen him in anything in quite some time and was amazed to see his acting chops. Okay, and more amazed that Doogie Howser grew up to be quite hot. I only caught the HIMYM train this year via reruns (benefit of unemployment??) and loved that one ep ended with Barney typing into computer diary with a voice-over read :) Definitely a fan of his and love that he is open about but not defined by his sexuality.

Is it un-PC to hope there are some genetic offspring (not sure on the twins)? Good looks and talent worth passing on :P

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Read this wonderful little article about Phil Hartman writing back to a fan. I miss you Phil.

Phil's letter

Edited by gl_shark, Aug 18, 2011 @ 9:04 PM.

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

Danny Pudi is my current fave. I think it takes a special talent to make Abed just the right amount of charicature while keeping depth and staying totally lovable.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 6:48 PM

This falls more under TV personalities I like. Also it's weird. I need to clarify that I really hate Family Guy. It annoys me a lot. But for some reason, any time I see Seth McFarlane interviewed, I really like him. Like I could easily invite him out for beers and it would be a great time. I can't explain this.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 5:14 PM

I like Family Guy, actually, but I love Seth McFarlane--he's attractive, funny and his political views are the same as mine. He does sound like fun to hang out with.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

John Spencer.

Not only does he portray Leo McGarry brilliantly, even in sub-par episodes, but I love how much he clearly loves the show and his fellow cast members. His commentary on "Bartlet For America" is one of the best, most interesting TV actor commentaries I've ever heard. It's also clear from other behind the scenes clips I've seen that he loves and respects Martin Sheen almost as much as Leo loves and respects the President. He just seems like an incredibly classy, gentlemanly sort of guy. Also, I love his smile.

I am going to be a mess when I get to his last episode on TWW. I'm sure it'll feel like a real friend of mine has died.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad. He is amazing on this show. I dont know why it took me so long to watch this show. He keeps getting better and better as the seasons go on. Thankfully, he got his well deserved Emmy for this show.

Ambrosefolly1

Ambrosefolly1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I love Harry Lloyd. I watched his interview about his character on Games of Thrones and loved his thoughts about what Viserys Targaryen should be and love an actor that doesn't portray and character as too sympathetic.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I wholeheartedly concur with whomever mentioned adoring Martha Plimpton. (Actually, the three lead actors on Raising Hope are all immensely likable and enjoyable to watch IMO; and they sometimes need to be in order to rise above the uneven writing!) She's talented, smart, and able to do wacky comedy, subtle wit and emotional vulnerability to great effect. I love how off screen she comes across as strong, at ease with herself and opinionated without being pompous and obnoxious...no easy trick! I even love her look: she's not conventionally, classically pretty, but is so interesting and memorable looking, and can contort her face into myriad expressions that mine is totally incapable of making!

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I wholeheartedly concur with whomever mentioned adoring Martha Plimpton.

After tonight's episode of The Good Wife, I would like to lobby for the immediate development of a spin off series starring Martha Plimpton and Michael J. Fox. I would watch the hell out of that show.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Kyle Chandler anyone? I thought he was really hot in Early Edition and only decided to watch Friday Night Lights because of that. Thank goodness I did, Kyle was terrific in that role (adore Coach Taylor). In interviews, he just seems like the most charming dry witted person ever. Love him and love the success he's having now.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Peter Dinklage, you clever, soulful, funny, heartrending, amazing actor... every minute you're on the screen in Game of Thrones is a delight. I would watch you in almost any role, if TPTB are smart enough to offer such roles to you.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

I think both Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga are great as Norman and Norman Bates. Freddie has Norman's mannerisms down pat and Vera is mesmerizing as Mother.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 11:49 PM

I absolutely love Vera Farmiga in everything. I was so excited for Bates Motel to come along because it meant she would be on tv every week. Her baby sister, Taissa, was quite good on American Horror Story too.

BarbLLM

BarbLLM

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

Mariska Hargitay: the heart and soul of Law & Order: Extra Crispy.  The show has done okay without the great Christopher Meloni, but if she doesn't want to do another season, I can't see the show surviving.  I'm also impressed that, because of her run on this show, she developed a charity foundation called Joyful Heart, which helps rape and abuse victims.  

Richard Belzer: God, I love Munch.  From Homicide to The X-Files, to SVU.  You can never get enough Munch.  He's also a terrific novelist and has written a nonfiction book about conspiracy theories that is very funny.

Hugh Laurie: for eight seasons, he was the smartest guy in the room on House MD.  Prior to that, I loved his physical comedy in Blackadder.

The entire cast of The Walking Dead, particularly Norman Reedus (Daryl), playing a character created specifically for television.  He's now television's most popular crossbow-wielding redneck. 

David Tennant, the 10th doctor on Doctor Who.  He was the doctor, and they occasionally pointed a camera at him.  If possible find the Royal Shakespeare Company's version of "Hamlet" with him playing the title role; he's fantastic.  Also features Patrick Stewart.

Idris Elba on Luther.  I can't wait to see him in Pacific Rim this summer.  This BBC production is on Netflix, and it's a terrific, cerebral police drama.  Elba is great and..dare I say it? Better than Andre Braugher in Homicide.  

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

I don't know if it's love yet, because I've never seen her do anything else, but I am mightily impressed by Uzo Aduba on Orange is the New Black.  The character is written in such a way that she could easily become a target for easy laughs, just a cartoon, but the actress is AMAZING at making her human and downright tragic.  I hope this show opens up a lot of doors for her.  (Also, if I may be shallow for a moment, she is absolutely gorgeous.)

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

She's amazing, McKay, I got hooked on Orange...and loved reading all the positive reviews of Uzo Aduba's performance, it made me feel all happy :D 

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

Matt Smith won my heart as Doctor Eleven. He has delicious energy and comic timing, married with a fresh talent and range that has made him one of my favorite Doctor Who actors. He really captures the Doctor's childlike energy and sometimes shady moral ambiguity in such a fascinating, watchable way. I'm excited for Doctor Twelve, but I gotta say, I'll miss Mr. Smith.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

After bingeing on Cheers and getting addicted to Bored to Death, one of my favorite TV actors has got to be Ted Danson. I've always liked him, but man, he is a treasure (on TV, at least). And damn fine at 63, too.

agnesnitt

agnesnitt

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

I thought I hated Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor, but after Bitchy and Borey left, I found myself liking him quite a bit.  He really shines when he's not being dragged down by mopey/untalented costars.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

cpcathy, if you haven't seen it before, the tv movie "Something About Amelia" is worth checking out. Ted Danson did it at the height of his "Cheers" fame, playing a  man who molests his teenage daughter. He's also wonderful in a small, crucial role in the film "Body Heat" and very funny in the "# Men and a Baby" films.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

I bought Body Heat on Amazon just for him, he's really great in it, and I love the scenes with him, William Hurt and the police detective.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

Just before the scene on the docks where Danson tells William Hurt he and JA Preston know what he did and while he's ok with it, Preston (who likes Hurt better) isn't... there's a bit that's one of my favorite 'grace notes' in a modern film as Danson, who's been mocked by his friends for taking tap dancing lessons, takes advantage of the fact that Hurt is late (as usual) to execute an elegant series of tap steps on the dock in the moonlight.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

On another thread I mentioned that I was indulging in a couple of Law & Order marathons (SVU and Mothership) and the last few hours saw me treated to some extraordinary acting.

On one SVU episode, Ellen Burstyn plays Stabler's mentally unstable mother, and in relatively few scenes she manages to bring an entire complex character to life - a woman who sees herself, on the surface, as eccentric rather than 'crazy', and is proud of living life on her own terms, but confesses privately to her granddaughter that she's paid for it all. She's charming and fascinating and you just know that if you had to spend more than one afternoon with her she would drive you to distraction. On a later episode, Brian Dennehy plays a dying man, long retired from a bank robbing career, who ropes Stabler, and then Benson, into helping him make contact with his long-estranged daughter, while dropping hints and occasionally regaling them with larger chunks of the story of his outsized life. Without ever playing for sympathy, Dennehy allows you to work out your own feelings towards this character, as Benson and Stabler do, and totally earns the episode's title - "Scheherezade".

Both were master class-level work and I was reminded of why and how L&O franchises received so many Emmy nominations and awards over the years...

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

I love Michelle Forbes and am always happy whenever she suddenly appears on a show I'm watching. 

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Dec 30, 2013 @ 7:27 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I am mightily impressed by Uzo Aduba on Orange is the New Black.  The character is written in such a way that she could easily become a target for easy laughs, just a cartoon, but the actress is AMAZING at making her human and downright tragic.

Man, I couldn't agree more!  She is funny (ice skating for her Christmas play audition!), but so childlike and adorable (and crazy and scary...) - just a wonderful actress playing a wonderful part. I hope we get more backstory on her in season two.

I'm a big DJ Qualls fan. I love his work on "Legit" - his character is paralyzed from the neck down and he's a fantastic "face" actor. In the last episode he even had half his face covered by a hospital mask but all you had to see was his eyes and you felt his heartbreak.

bmoore4026

bmoore4026

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Maggie Smith.  Just Maggie Smith. To me, this Dame can do no wrong.

I've grown fond of Dean Norris.  And Hugh Bonneville.  They need plushies made after them.

And I don't understand why Anna Gunn gets such hate, I think she's excellent.