Live! with Kelly and Michael

• Please log in to reply

20132 replies to this topic

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

fl2c: the series is available online to catch up on. Selfridge was a lot like PT Barnum in that he had a ton of self confidence, bombast, business savvy and eternal optimism. And toss in American ingenuity. His roving eye got him in trouble with a very fine and loving wife who was also from the US.

He is portrayed as respectful of his employees and employing, for the most part, managers who held his same business sense. Of course there are 'bad guys,' 'loose women,' and his business practices that got him in trouble and in debt etc.... but you end up liking his character and understanding and admiring how he does business.

Also jealous husbands of his many lovers come into play and create devious subplots designed to make his life uncomfortable etc. etc.

It is not like Downton Abbey but it does have a certain soap opera quality to it. I really enjoy it and like I said, Piven HAD to correct Kelly for the integrity of his character and the series.

Edited by maryis, Apr 19, 2014 @ 10:50 AM.

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

Thanks maryis, can't wait to check it out!

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 PM

fl2dc: Whoops! I forgot one of the most significant phrases that Mr. Selfridge came up with:

The customer is always right!