Live! with Kelly and Michael

• Please log in to reply

20118 replies to this topic

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

Actually I recall Priscilla saying "she's ALWAYS interrupting you." It was rude.

Janie55

Janie55

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:43 PM

Thanks for the explanation, andyllina!

Edited by Janie55, Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:44 PM.

Jeanolo

Jeanolo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 7:59 AM

Yes it was rude to be always interrupting.

I have taken to heart some of the criticisms of the criticisms I have posted. I know I'm taking advantage again of the short-lived boards-on-boards in limited doses allowance. If that makes sense.

I apologize for the Looks Like Peter Pan/Tastes Like Chicken comment since it offended some of you. I do feel it to be hypocritical to call oneself a feminist while "trashing" another female's looks. I am sensitive to being a hypocrite, and I realize I am often one. I would like to say that I am a Comedian (with a capital C) and the phrase tickled my funny bone, and I let the little devil on my shoulder take over, so it's okay, and since I didn't aim it DIRECTLY at Kelly (and I never meant to imply she couldn't handle negative criticism - I would hope she ignores most bad press just on principle) it's also okay, but I have never been paid to be funny, so I can't claim that. 

Speaking for myself, I AM concerned about her health. Of course there are other feeling I have about her. But I truly wish she would lighten up about her weight, and maybe put on five pounds. And maybe exercise a wee bit less. I also wish she would relax and let her natural funniness come through more. Her human-ness. I admire her drive to get to where she is ... I want her to relax and enjoy the ride. These are just my little personal wishes. Time goes by very fast, and we all get old. I thought Regis handled the aging process very well. In a sense, his career path was quite different from Kelly's - he came to fame late in the game, while Kelly was a young star.

My challenge is balancing the humor with the empathy and the sympathy. I may snark, but I don't bite. Peace out!

suomi

suomi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 3:28 AM

I was a young wife with a baby when I watched the first versions of "Live!" every morning in SoCal. That baby is now 43 years old. Regis' first co-hosts were Sarah Purcell and Cyndy Garvey, and they provided decent conversation and interview skills. When Reege went national with Kathie Lee, she was definitely a motor mouth but (except for her pregnancies) I don't remember her being obsessed with talking about her body and its functions nearly every day. (OK, she did a bit of that when she caught Frank stepping out but, hey, she was humilated on the national stage and that was part of how she coped.) I remember rooting for Kelly to be Kathie Lee's replacement. Sarah and Cyndy were nice enough but not irreverent like Kathie Lee and Kelly, and I always thought K/KL were a better balance with Old Man Reege. I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination but I find Kelly's immature outlook offensive. I don't think the topics Kelly chooses are a reflection of how society has changed over the years; they're a reflection of how she chooses to present herself. She's a cute gal and she's quick-witted when she wants to be. I think it's a shame that she seems to have decided that the vapid schrick is appealing. She isn't stupid, because actors who work on soaps memorize stunning amounts of dialogue. After so many years on the air I feel like I should know what makes her tick and what matters to her and I don't think she has communicated that in any meaningful way. There's something wrong with a woman her age being so entranced with her secondary sexual characteristics. Cracking wise about the size of her twat and the number 69 for the umpteenth time? Give me a fucking break.

bella2828

bella2828

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 5:37 AM

I have to agree with the previous two posters. Kelly is quit witted, she is cute, and under her ditzy persona, I think there is a woman who thinks deeply about more than her boob size, tampons and twerking. And she seems to try to impart goid values on her kids.

Kelly doesn't want to give controversial opinions or get too deep into her opinion, and I get that. This show has always avoided controversy , and it's a nice easy start to the morning. But, for someone who hems and haws, and says "ummm and uhh" for any topic that is more controversial than the weather, she sure gets very personal and crude , and never passes up a chance to make sexual comments and draw obscene penis like pictures on late night. And her poor son Michael had to be the center if a crude and ht joke about his maturing on one of Kelly's late night appearances.
And then came Kelly's delight being Miley!

For someone who is so guarded about giving any opinions that might offend the audience Kelly had no problem telling us she really didn't care if we were offended by the Halloween show. Also, Kelly had no problem bitching about Clay during the next day's host chat. Even if she was offended, why did she need to bring it up during host chat ?

All of her behavior is a weird dichotomy . I'd rather have her giving a controversial opinion here or there, than hearing about her bald female parts and hearing her giggle at the number 69 like a 15 year old.

I almost think that as much as Kelly has a mature and very likable side, she seems to have this weird need to be perpetually a teenager both with her appearance and behavior. Maybe she can't deal with actually growing older . Whatever it is, I think it ruins the good qualities she does have.

gambrelli

gambrelli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

I agree with the previous posters as well.

Strangely, today's host chat was the first time in a long, long time that Kelly seemed to have dropped her usual phony schtick. She actually told a touching story about her Mom and grandmother and conversed about her kids in a quite loveable way....and even reminisced about Tavern-on- the- Green without managing to over-act her way through her story. (Now that I've said that, her annoying schtick will probably return tomorrow.) But I do think what came through today in her more toned down adult approach was a bit more vulnerability....more genuineness. It was much more appealing to watch than her usual precocious airhead routine. She should give up the schtick....she's getting too old for it, anyway, and there's nothing worse than a maturing woman trying too hard to remain cute by acting dumb and superficial.

I have no idea if this has any bearing on this recent change but it seems that since Michael announced he would be working at GMA as well as at 'Live' that Kelly's usual phony gushing over him...and everything in general has waned somewhat...and that seems to be a good thing as he's not having to further prop up her inane comments...and the show is the better for it. Not great. Not Regis...(couldn't resist saying that, sorry). But today was at least tolerable....'almost' enjoyable.

Migzo

Migzo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:51 PM

Kelly and Michael were on fire today. Host chat was witty and fun, and they seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

bella2828

bella2828

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

Kellyshowed how she doesn't watch the work of her guests, but she is also a pro at lying and faking during interviews. When she complimented Jeremy Piven about his British accent, and he said he plays an American, and sarcastically thanked her for watching his show! Kelly then came up with some lame excuse for her comment bu saying it had to do with Michsel's accent. It made no sense.

I do notice that since Michael got offered his GMA stint, Kelly isn't quite as immature and silly during host chat , and Michael isn't kissing her butt quite as much. I wonder if it was a wake up call that Michael is so popular already , and offered more and more.

Edited by bella2828, Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:29 PM.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

I caught that too bella2828!!!  That was hilarious -- watching Kelly turn herself inside-out & lie to cover her faux pas.  She's an idiot & the fact that he called her on it was ..... PRICELESS!!!!

Michael is going on GMA tomorrow morning to make some (big) announcement.  Kelly must be .....

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:10 PM

Kelly must be .....

very excited for her co-host / someone who she seems to really adore!

Edited by fl2dc, Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:10 PM.

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 AM

Wow, Kelly really did show her fake persona and how easily she just makes crap up and lies.  I loved loved Jeremy Piven calling her out sarcastically. I wonder if she had a baby tantrum backstage and he will no longer be on the show for daring to call out her fake bs!

I also notice Kelly isn't as goofy and immature anymore, and during hostchat at least, seems more real.  I am sure she likes Michael, and she probabably is happy for him being so well loved by Disney, but I am thinking it has to hurt a little when she's been around for over 14 years and it seems like he is way more respected and liked.   I do not feel sorry for her though, it's her own fault.  She definitely has the ability to be funny, real and likable, but instead she was a major perv when she was hosting solo, and never bothered to even prepare for interviews   She bragged about getting botox and extensions as her "preparation" for the Oscar show, and of  course,  NPH had to come in and save the day and really prepare.  Then Michael came in just in time to save this show from the lowest ratings in 20 years!   

Of course, even though hostchat is better,  during FF last week we had Faith hairdrying Kelly's armpits before the show.  Why does this womn sweat so much? Is she on some kind of upper to keep her weight off? I thought the studio was so cold.  But anyway, Kelly made sure to ask Gelman for a tampon or a maxipad for her sweat!  Very classy! I always ask my male coworkers or boss for personal items like that!

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 PM

GMA is simply not going to add yet another female to the show. It is as cut and dried as that. 

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 02:11 PM

GMA is simply not going to add yet another female to the show. It is as cut and dried as that.

Seriously.  It's less of a matter that GMA is actively snubbing Kelly and more that GMA needs more men on their show.  GMA already has four women regulars and quite a few women contributors.

Orangekit

Orangekit

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 PM

I loved loved seeing Jeremy Piven calling phony Kelly on her fake compliment for a show she never watches!   I guess now Kelly now is going for the mature image with her shorter hair and nicer clothing, but she still is basically unprepared and phony IMO . I think underneath it all she's a middle aged Miley.  She is obsessed with her sexuality and anything raunchy or what she thinks is so so shocking - - like tampons or maxipads! And ooh she talks about them around boys!   She also acts like a sleazy teenager when she's on late night talks shows.  

The only think I think has happened is that Michael is getting a lot of attention from TPTB, and Kelly is not, even though she's been there for a long long time.    So, Kelly is going into super fake mode, and pretending she isn't eating goldifsh while watching Real Housewives or the Kardashians, and pretending she's watching the work of her guests. 

finnzup

finnzup

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 PM

Wow, Michael is all over my AOL page, good for him, lol.  What a hoot to watch all the press.  I especially loved the pr photos of him standing alone with the GMA graphic.  He looks good!

Maybe I don't know all the details, admittedly I haven't followed the story closely, but it seems to me he won't have to get up that much earlier?  It's not like he's on the 5:00 a.m. local news.  I would think that he'll have his segments during the 8:00 hour of GMA.  That's really not such a big deal, so I don't know why Kelly's making all the jokes about having strong coffee at the ready for him and the alarm clock gift....guess it's just more of her schtick, lol.

Regarding today's show, I found myself talking to the tv again (happens everytime I have Live! on, which, thankfully, isn't often) tellling Kelly to please 'stand up straight.'  I absolutely hate the posture she takes on when standing on stage talking to a guest--hips tucked under, back hunched a la Quasimoto, arms folded in some manner either clasped at the hands in front of her or arms folded under her padded bra giving her the concaved chest look.  Here's what infuriates me about that--if she spends so much time working out and spends so much time telling us what great shape she's in (did you pick up on it during the swimming chat??) then why the hell doesn't she stand up straight and let her body be seen?  To stand there hunched over only makes her appear like a skinny little weirdo, not a fit woman that takes care of her body and is proud of it.

I don't get it--all of her body language shouts her insecurities about her body but to listen to her and watch her challenge her male guests to push-up contests, it tells a different story.

Speaking of which, Jeremy Pivens, she challenged him awhile ago in a push-up contest and I see there's some talk  of him here.  What exactly happened?  I read elsewhere online that "Kelly Ripa embarassed herself" asking him to demonstrate his British accent.  Since I know nothing of JP, can someone explain what exactly happened and why was she embarassed? 

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 PM

I would think that he'll have his segments during the 8:00 hour of GMA.  That's really not such a big deal, so I don't know why Kelly's making all the jokes about having strong coffee at the ready for him and the alarm clock gift....guess it's just more of her schtick, lol.

I think it's been reported that he'll appear on the 7-8:15am hour, which means he'd probably have to get to the studio by 6.  That's pretty early, I'd think he'd need extra coffee and a good alarm clock for that...

finnzup

finnzup

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

I think it's been reported that he'll appear on the 7-8:15am hour, which means he'd probably have to get to the studio by 6.  That's pretty early, I'd think he'd need extra coffee and a good alarm clock for that...

Thanks fl2dc, I'm surprised by that; I guess he'll be doing more serious stuff?  For some reason I equate 8-9 as the fluff portion of the show.

At any rate, 6:00 a.m. to 10: a.m.--4 hour work day.  Poor guy--don't know how on earth he'll ever function, lol.

bella2828

bella2828

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 09:29 AM

Speaking of which, Jeremy Pivens, she challenged him awhile ago in a push-up contest and I see there's some talk of him here. What exactly happened? I read elsewhere online that "Kelly Ripa embarassed herself" asking him to demonstrate his British accent. Since I know nothing of JP, can someone explain what exactly happened and why was she embarassed?

What happened was pretty embarrasing.  Kelly complimented Jeremy on his British accent he uses in his new project, which is apparently set in England.  Jeremy said "I play an American, but thank you for watching my show", or something very similar!  Kelly tried to cover her phony compliment  by saying it was about Michael's accent, which made absolutely no sense!    The fun part was now sarcastic Jeremy was, and how it seemed like he wasn't at all shocked that Kelly was a big phony at that moment.

finnzup

finnzup

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:21 AM

What happened was pretty embarrasing.  Kelly complimented Jeremy on his British accent he uses in his new project, which is apparently set in England.  Jeremy said "I play an American,

Thanks bella2828.  I did google Mr. Selfridge and viewed a clip.  I see that Jeremy does, in fact, play an American in England and speaks with a very American accent!  How embarassing indeed for Kelly to assume he's using a British accent just because it's a British story line.

I would have to think that was the fault of one of her production assistants because we all know Kelly does no homework for the show unless it involves spinning, running or eating goldfish.  My guess is these PA's print up the questions that Kelly asks her guests.  In this case, either the PA played a dirty trick on our gal Kel or it was just shoddy work.  At any rate, I'd love to be a fly on the wall of their post-production meeting.  We all know that Kelly does not like to be made a fool of. 

How delightful, sorry I missed it.