Live! with Kelly and Michael

• Please log in to reply

20131 replies to this topic

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Did Kelly even bother to thumb through Sissy Spacek's book, since she was a guest today?

So True... do you think she could bother? I thought her actions there were deplorable. She's totally useless.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Kelly doesn't even have to read the book, she can just go on Amazon and read the reviews but she can't even be bothered to do that. But I'll bet she read Snookie's book cover to cover.

I don't know which is worse, Live with Kelly getting good guests and blowing the interviews or the View not being able to get good guests and instead booking crappy guests. I do think at some point Live won't be able to book A-list guests. If the ratings continue to decline why would a celeb want to come on? I do think a lot of celebs truly were fond of Regis, but I'm not sure they feel that way about Kelly. Celebrities like to be the center of attention and Regis let the guest shine but IMO Kelly wants that spotlight solely focused on her and if I the viewer at home can see that then I'm sure the guests on the stage also see it.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I am so proud I haven't watched in months. Would have loved seeing Sissy today. But evidently I don't even care who the giest co-host is to determine IF they might be prepared and surf there now and again after host chat and before see her exercise.

sharonbee

sharonbee

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Holy god Sissy looked awful. Someone may want to introduce her to a brush.

On a super good note...I love Josh Grobin! looking forward to Ben tomorrow!

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

FF was all about nipples because Kelly was in another Stella McCartney dresss, and the darts look like nipples. We had to see a clip of her and Gelman discussing their nipples for the audience. Just what demo are they going for? I'm in the desired demo and I think this is idiotic, but then again, I also only see the tacky reality TV shows that Kelly watches on marathons when they are mocked on the Soup, since I don't find sex talk, masturbation talk, nipple talk and tampon talk entertaining. Its hillarious how Kelly mocks the audience because the dress is not fitting her right. I've seen the same style by the same designer on other cebrities who have adult , female bodies, and the darts fill out and the don't look like their nipples are showing.

I wish someone would tweet that to Kelly, and make her realize that she and her fashion person are wrong. not the audience. When she behaves like this, I get the snob feeling from her, as if we silly. women who shop at dept stores , are just too dumb about upper crust fashion to know that athe dresss should look that way. I wonder if Gelman will make sure we see more of these outfits for May sweeps, so Kelly can go in Access Hollywood to address the big controversy and bring in viewers to the show. They already have had two trips and every star co-hosting to keep ratings after Regis left, maybe nipplegate or other tacky things will now be used to get more ratings.

Edited by sunnysyde, May 4, 2012 @ 8:51 AM.

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Why is KellMe popping up everwhere she possibly can? Now she proclaims her marriage would end if Markie co hosted with her? I smell yet another PR stunt for a show that is in the gutter. I think it would a better idea if she joined him. At home. Unemployed.

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Why is KellMe popping up everwhere she possibly can? Now she proclaims her marriage would end if Markie co hosted with her? I smell yet another PR stunt for a show that is in the gutter. I think it would a better idea if she joined him. At home. Unemployed.

It is May sweeps, and they need to do something for ratings. I think no matter how much Gelman is spinning things, they are desperate to figure out what to do with this show. The ratings dropped, probalby because they did not have any great co-hosts that people wanted to see last week, and there were no expensive, on location shows. The fact they have had to bring in big names constantly, and do so much on location stuff, shows they were desperate to keep ratings up IMO. Kelly is not an audience draw by herself and it shows when they had people like Pat Kiernan who is not a national celebrity, or Mario Lopez who is not a huge star.

jamgram300

jamgram300

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Ben bailey (Cash Cab) was just on The Rachael Ray Show and said that Cash Cab is over. He'd be a great person to co-host with Kelly (not that I necessarily want to send him into this crapfest). He's a stand up comedian, an Emmy award winner, executive producer (watch out, Gelman) and a triathlete and married, with child. He was raised in Jersey and is Kelly's age. And he obviously knows his way around NYC :)

Perfect fit, in my book. At least worth a try.

And re today's show...why in the world does Kelly feel she needs to (again) wear the Stella McCartney skinny dress? One too many goldfish yesterday? Gelman written all over this one. Yikes.

gambrelli

gambrelli

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Josh Groban has a natural and funny sense of humour, but on this show with the self-involved Kelly as a side-kick, he ( and Kelly) both come off as precocious children vying for attention - where everything is said to get a laugh. It is tiring and has nothing to do with good conversation.

I think any person who co-hosts with Kelly is, out of necessity, brought down to this low level of behavior and conversation in order to 'fit in'. You could see that Matthew Broderick and Pat Kiernan were bewildered to find themselves in such an awkward and childish host chat...both quite openly recoiling from it. Good for them.

The real problem is Kelly. She isn't a good interviewer and she isn't interesting on any level. And she is childish in her silly need to relate everything to sex. I loved it when Pat Kiernan called her on that - saying, "Yes, Kelly we all know what a tampon is." As someone said in one of the comments here. Kelly goes to The White House Correspndent's Dinner and what does she have to say about it? ....A stupid story about the need to carry a tampon in her purse. Really, why does she even have this job? She is such a twit.

Why doesn't ABC realize that this once legendary show has now become an embarrassment to their network.

(Also I do not understand the current tendency of grown women like Kelly (and the Kardashions) to cling onto the halting speech patterns of nine-year-old girls where the ends of their sentences are emphasized and go up a tone or two as if they are always asking a question. It really is juvenile...and it sure sounds juvenile and brainless as well.)

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I think Kelly purposefully emulates the Kardashians because she thinks that is what people like to see. The Kardashians (the Real Housewives too) have become very famous for their juvenile and trashy behavior so IMO Kelly (and Gelman too) probably think if she acts like that then therefore she'll be relevant in this new age we live in where no-talent insulting famewhores are rewarded with money and publicity. And on some level it's working. Kelly (and the show) are getting a lot more press coverage but it's not all flattering. I think once a co-host is chosen the media attention will be more on that person and Kelly will become even more desperate for attention and I can only imagine what she'll do.

If the ratings continue to decline I wonder just how long TPTB will let it go on. This show is syndicated right? If local stations want they can drop the show and put something else on in it's place. I wonder if that is something that is even concerning Gelman. IMO it should be.

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I think Kelly purposefully emulates the Kardashians because she thinks that is what people like to see. The Kardashians (the Real Housewives too) have become very famous for their juvenile and trashy behavior so IMO Kelly (and Gelman too) probably think if she acts like that then therefore she'll be relevant in this new age we live in where no-talent insulting famewhores are rewarded with money and publicity.

BINGO.

I believe this has been the strategy all along. And a vast (ok, significant) amount of folks eat it up. While not a Rhodes Scholar, I don't think Mrs Consuelos is nearly as vapid as she purporsely projects. True, she is not a fan of current events or sports, but she gloms onto pop-culture snippets (like the over-tanned mom) with ease and delight. She seems generally well-regarded by most other celebrities, who realize she is doing her schtick.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

For me Kelly's "schtick" is the problem. She is contributing to the dumbing down of America. If she is just acting like a superficial reality show obsessed twit then that to me is sad. I understand there is an audience for that type of entertainment but it seems like nowadays women like the Housewives and Snookie and the rest are supposed to be thought of as people who should be admired. It's gotten to the point where Kelly can't tell any story without it turning into a cringe-worthy tale about sex or some sort of bodily function. She attends a star-studded function (WHCD) and all she can talk about is a TAMPON!!

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I think Kelly is exaggerating her personality, but I don't think it's all an act. She doesnt seem to watching much of anything but reality tv, and I do think she is vapid and not too bright. I think Gelman encourages her over the top behavior, but no one is stopping her from preparing for guests, or taking the time to see movies when she did an Oscar show, and she could have had more than a tampon story after the WHCD. Everyone that meets her says she is nice and down to earth, but that doesn't across on TV IMO. I also think that talking about her teen boy's masturbation habits, and the fact she and Mark think it's funny to video tape their child without her knowing it, so they can mock her on national. TV says a lot about them. I think she is who she is on tv, maybe a littled exaggerated, bit not very different.

Edited by sunnysyde, May 7, 2012 @ 8:35 AM.

traywana

traywana

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I agree with everyone above that Kelly needs a better guest host. The Canadian co-hosts have been very boring and quite honestly they have all been very funny looking. I find them unwatchable. I also agree with the above posters that she needs a Giant star like a Kardashian to bring out the best in her natural magnetic personality. I don't know why she never seems to have a minority co-hosting. Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson would be nice, but Toure or Bryant Gumbel (my dream morning date) would be just wonderful. Would Gelman go for it, or is he only interested in viewers from the red states?

Edited by traywana, May 6, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

javachip

javachip

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I believe this has been the strategy all along. And a vast (ok, significant) amount of folks eat it up. While not a Rhodes Scholar, I don't think Mrs Consuelos is nearly as vapid as she purporsely projects. True, she is not a fan of current events or sports, but she gloms onto pop-culture snippets (like the over-tanned mom) with ease and delight. She seems generally well-regarded by most other celebrities, who realize she is doing her schtick.

I think she in some ways she is not as vapid as she appears, but in many ways she is very vapid and shallow. I do think Kelly has some strong beliefs and and is deeper about issues, but Gelman hates when anyone has any depth, so we just she her vapid side. He hated when Kathie Lee wanted to ever get serious or deep, and she had fights with him many times from what I remember, about how shallow the show was. I do think Regis had a way of including important conversations, and topics, without getting to depressing, but I looked forward to him talking about current events and the news. Regis also made me feel interested in celebrities that I didn't really know or care about. He seemed to truly want to know about a person, and their project, and I liked that.

IMO Kelly may is pretty limited as a talk show host. As much as I don't think she is totally a Kardashian type, she also seem to have no real interest in current events, she can't speak well, and stammers her way through host chat, and she also seems extremely narcissistic and self-absorbed, to the point that all interviews turn into her talking about herself.

I also don't think that Gelman can make her watch Dance Mom marathons, instead of watching a movie that someone might be promoting, or going to a Broadway play. That tampon conversation was just sad, since she was at the WHCD, and that is the most she could do. She could not have her husband tape or take pictures with his Iphone?? She had no other stories to tell? He sure seemed to enjoy taping so they could humiliate their pre-teen daughter on her talk show.

Everyone that meets her says she is nice and down to earth, but that doesn't across on TV IMO. I also think that talking about her teen boy's masturbation habits, and the fact she and Mark think it's funny to video tape their child without her knowing it, so they can mock her on national. TV says a lot about them. I think she is who she is on tv, maybe a littled exaggerated, bit not very different

I do not think Kelly is an awful person, but I now quuestion the feeling I had that she was such a great parent. IMO the things she said about Micheal on Jimmy Kimmel, and taping her daughter to mock her were disgusting, and show how desperate she is to have something to say on tv, since IMO she is lacking in real ability or talent, and IMO good parents do not do things at their kids' expense. I do think the fact that Lola kept clarinet lessons as a secret says more about Kelly and Mark than about Lola. She probably is afraid of being mocked or degraded, and that is just what they did. Bad enough they showed that tape before, but to have it ready for repeat showings is super nasty.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Thanks for the puke splattering story Kelly. What a great thing to hear while you're eating. Comparing herself to Cameron Diaz when she walked out was nauseating too.

Thought Strahan did a nice job today.

CathyB55

CathyB55

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

She just can't miss the opportunity to talk about her mother. I wonder how her mother feels that she is criticized almost every day on national tv by her daughter. Her true colors are coming out more each day.
After her making fun of her mother I just had to turn it off.

gogat

gogat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

If I hear the Go With Gin Derby story one more time, I might poke my eyes out!

Marmaladecat

Marmaladecat

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

IMO Kelly's REAL self is coming out now that Regis is gone, and it is her show. I think very little of this is schtick, and I do not blame Gelman for working with what Kelly has as a personality. No one is forcing Kelly to degrade her mother at least once a week, no one is telling her to humiliate her children on national tv, and no one is telling her to talk about a tampon as the biggest event of the WHDC. Also, sorry but she is in NYC and she IMO part of her job should be to make an effort to go out to shows, or at least read about her guests, or get dvd's of upcoming movies, that are supplied by movie studios, or tv show dvd's, to prepare for guests. IMO Kelly is a vapid, self-absorbed woman, and that is why this show is what it is. I wonder what her kids will be saying about her someday. She seems to put her mom down every time she gets a chance she gets. Does she think she is perfect? When your child hides the fact that they are taking a musical instrument from you, maybe it's because she is afraid that she will be mocked, which did end up happening. Someday the tell all books by her kids should be interesting.

CathyB55

CathyB55

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I used to think that Mark and Kelly were good parents. I have now changed my opinion of them I feel that they just think about themselves. Kelly puts down her mother and then just praises her mother in law. I wonder if she does it just to please Markie. Seems to me that she will do anything just to hold on to the little guy. Doesn't mind him not working, playing soccer and going on his trips. I wonder what she is going to do on mother's day spend it with her mother in law and just cast her mother aside. IMO Kelly is not a good host, mother or daughter.
Just read an article that said Michael Strahan is the top contender to co host and that Kelly is almost ready to make a deal. Of course, then she can lay on him and cuddle with him everyday. She is so nauseating with him. Maybe because he seems to have a lot of fans she and Gelman think this will give them better ratings.

Edited by CathyB55, May 7, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Here's the article:

http://www.hollywood...ichael-strahan/

Kelly Ripa is getting closer to inking a deal with a morning co-host. HollywoodLife.com has spoken to a source close to the production of Live with Kelly! who reveals that former NFL star Michael Strahan is at the top of Kelly’s list! So it’s not surprising that he co-hosted for his ninth time on May 7!

“All bets are on Michael Strahan,” the source says. “He’s funny, does well on camera and gets along really fabulously with Kelly. Michael is the top name that is seriously being thrown around right now.”

The source went on to tell us that singer Josh Groban has said that he “really wants the gig.” Although Kelly really loves having Josh on, execs on the show just aren’t sure if he’s the best bet.

As for Kelly’s hubby Mark Consuelos hosting?

“No one wants to see such a perfect couple every morning,” the source says. “They’re disgustingly perfect. Great together but it’s not the direction the show wants to head.”

Meanwhile, the source goes on to say that NY 1 news anchor Pat Kiernan fell “flat” when he hosted and Anderson Cooper‘s new daytime talk show has him out of the running.

Calling Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos a perfect couple? Gag me please. As for the article saying Pat Kiernan fell flat, I think he realized right away that this wasn't the job for him and threw in the towel.

CathyB55

CathyB55

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Maybe he realized what an idiot she was and decided it wasn't worth working with someone like her.
Her and Mark a perfect couple I just threw up in my mouth. First of all there is no such thing as a perfect couple everyone has their flaws and they seem to have plenty. Kelly has been making a lot of money these past years and Mark hasn't been doing too well. She seems to do most of the parenting while he is out having fun. In my book that is not a perfect couple. I have been married a long time and know that it has to be 50-50.Each person has to do his part, and it doesn't seem to me that Mark is doing his fair share.

andyllina

andyllina

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Someday the tell all books by her kids should be interesting.

They might be interesting, but I don't know if anyone will be interested in reading books about Kelly Ripa 10 or 20 years from now.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I used to think that Mark and Kelly were good parents.

I don't care if they are good parents or not. I just miss Regis!

jamgram300

jamgram300

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I agree that Pat Kiernan threw in the towel and decided this gig was not for him. I am not familiar with his work on NY1 but he probably realized that what he has there is better than what he might get with Kelly. Also, he has a family and we all know that national fame and exposure is a double edged sword. I say he dodged a bullet. Good for him :)

I do disagree with respect to Gelman. He is the producer, he runs the show. Yes, Kelly is the star, but I'd love to see ONE day that Gelman fails to put newspaper articles out for Kelly and (co-host) to read. Host chat would be over in 5 minutes. He is enabling her to be an airhead because she knows at 9am she will have a table full of fodder to fill 22 minutes. If she had no articles to fall back on, she'd actually have to read the guests books, see their films, hit the town, attend a sporting event, or eat at one of Manhattan's 86,000 restaurants. And then come in and talk about it. She has the best gig in the world. For now. One hour a day and virtually no prep, except that half hour in the makeup chair. No matter how much Kelly's name is on the building, it is Gelman who is the captain of this ship. I personally don't like him and would LOVE to see him fail, but in the interest of keeping this show afloat, something BIG has to change, and fast.

And I'm surprised that Josh Groban would want this gig. He has a fantastic career that can last forever if he so chooses. This would not seem to be a logical career move for him on a permanent basis. Would love to see him sing more when he co-hosts, though.

ctgirl2

ctgirl2

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I give you all a lot of credit for still being able to stomach this train wreck. I cannot even turn it on anymore. I do continue to torture myself with FF every now and then...boy, last Thursday the entire segment was about nipples and that stupid dress which looked ridiculous on her. Kellme is just a complete snotty b*@!ch and she simply cannot hide her disgust and annoyance with those of us in the lowly general population. I just cannot stand she how she talks down to us during FF...the complete opposite of how she acts on Live. Someone questioned in an earlier post if the powers that be at Live! think that FF is doing her any favors. I say absolutely not -- it makes me despise her even more if that is possible. And I cannot stand that posse of hers that just sits there kissing her ass, I bet they really can't stand her but have no choice but to play along with her nonsense. Hey Kelly, remember where you came from and get off of your high horse. I guess the old saying is true, money can't buy class.

jamgram300

jamgram300

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

My computer monitor has no sound these days, so while I can see FF, I cannot hear it. Thank heavens for small favors, I guess!!

Espy

Espy

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I hate Kelly's schtick as much as anyone. I really dislike when adult women affect the mannerisms of teenage girls. It's not funny for a grown woman to act like a girl, it's sad. But one thing I give her a pass on is her attitude and remarks about her mother. Her mother deserves it. I don't see how anyone can judge, and even though it could be considered tacky to say bad things about one's mother on TV, to me it makes her more relatable because many people feel the same way. It's nice that Kelly has a good relationship (or sucks up to) her mother in law.

nish

nish

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I seriously doubt Kelly's shallow, vapid, humorless, juvenile persona is put on for TV alone. There is no way anyone could carry on that charade for that extended a period of time. A month, 6 months, maybe......but not for years on end. It would eventually become too exhausting to pretend to be someone else day in and day out.

The live camera does not lie. What we see is what we get. Which in Kelly's case is NOTHING. It must be who she is in real life as well. Zero gravitas. All superficiality all the time.
If indeed Kelly had any depth to her, it would have shown up years ago. She has been on live TV for 11 years!! That's way too long to be faking it for an entire hour each day.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

To be a successful talk show host IMO you have to be able to let the guests be the star of the show (or at least their segment). Unless of course the host is the star, like Oprah. Regis always focused on the person he was interviewing but Kelly just can't cede the spotlight.