I'm Just Spitballin' Here: TAR Speculation (NO SPOILERS)

• Please log in to reply

2442 replies to this topic

parks

parks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:01 AM

At the risk of being redundant AND stating the obvious, the world is a big place. I think it would be a mistake to spend much time in any of the places they have hit over and over again - especially when TPTB have stated they are making changes to keep things interesting. I could do without much time spent in Western Europe as well as the final stretch involving detours/roadblocks in Hawaii.

tarsier

tarsier

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:04 AM

parks: I could do without much time spent in Western Europe as well as the final stretch involving detours/roadblocks in Hawaii.

Hawaii's a perk for the racers, to help them forget their ordeal in Asia. Gotta have Hawaii ;-)

MeAbFab

MeAbFab

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

tarsier: There are a lot of neat things they could do in Canada, but they won't. I'm guessing they want to spend as little time as possible in the US so as to decrease the chance of being recognized and "spoiled".

Durr to me... good point there. I often confuse my "good ideas for the Race" with "good ideas for a vacation for me."

That said, on the race application, they ask where you'd most like to travel, and most not. I said behind the iron curtain, red square and moscow specifically. At semis, the CA seemed interested in my wanting to go there... could this be a hint as to a pending Race destination?

Does anyone remember if they've gone to any communist euro states? When does the race route actually get decided? I know the producers take your phobias into consideration during casting; "If your fear of heights is so bad, what will you do when we make you jump out of a plane?" Do they also consider your ultimate destination when casting?

erinjsnark

erinjsnark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

Is it bad that I'd like to see a cross-over between the Amazing Race and WildBoyz (the MtV show with Steve-O)? It seems that those guys go and do a lot of random, strange, animal-related detour-like stuff that would make hilarious and tense challenges for the Racers. JMO.

tarsier

tarsier

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 6:41 PM

MeAbFab: Do they also consider your ultimate destination when casting?

Well, let's see. I think there were three teams in TAR1 from the New York area, and I think TaraWill had lived in San Francisco, but I don't think any of the teams in the last two seasons had any Seattle or Phoenix connections. As to considering destinations when casting though, I can't believe it was coincidence that Ian's race went to VietNam.

Red Targetter

Red Targetter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:32 PM

As to considering destinations when casting though, I can't believe it was coincidence that Ian's race went to VietNam.

Right, Tarsier. It was the beginning of his redemption arc for me. His obvious enjoyment of the place and its people (even when he was hollering things in badly accented Vietnamese) made his cranky asshattiness a little easier to take.

Also, getting back to whether or not TAR5 will have a next to last leg in Hawaii, I wonder. I think they did a casting call in Honolulu, and if they end up there again, that's a bit too much advantage.

ClowingAround

ClowingAround

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:23 AM

I don't know if this has been discussed but there is an obvious Asian country that has not been used: Japan. The Olympics were held there back in 1998 and it looks like there could be some neat detours/roadblocks that could come out of there.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

I think they did a casting call in Honolulu, and if they end up there again, that's a bit too much advantage.

But things like this are bound to come up periodically. They used that park in Flushing even though Frank/Margarita know it intimately. Tara & Wil were acquainted with Thailand, too. And let's certainly not forget that Team Guido lived in Paris for two years. So some kind of familiarity is probably going to come up, and I doubt they'd skip Hawaii just because they did a casting call there.

miri

miri

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:15 PM

I think it's been mentioned in a few articles that production feels that Japan is too expensive.

Slowhatch

Slowhatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:02 PM

But things like this are bound to come up periodically.

Not from the racers, I hope; judging from past seasons, bragging about your
home-field advantage is a jinx.

Zron

Zron

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:44 PM

And let's certainly not forget that Team Guido lived in Paris for two years.

Really? I hadn't heard that...

[ducks]

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:26 PM

If they don't go to Japan b/c it's too expensive, that's kind of a shame. Because they do need to cross that ocean at some point, and we're running out of non-redundant options. Tahiti? "Teams must find this house where Paul Gauguin lived...." And of course there would be two Gauguin houses, and one team would get it all wrong, and then -- ok, carried away.

SorchaRei

SorchaRei

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

i thought I had understoof that it was not just the prohibitively high expenses, but also the logistical difficulties in Japan in getting permission for the things they would need to do.

miri

miri

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:54 AM

Could well be - I was posting from memory. Yeah, not the wisest thing to do.

ClowingAround

ClowingAround

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:19 AM

Now that you all mention it I too remeber reading or hearing something abour Japan being too expensive. That's a shame. Seems like it would be an interesting choice. Oh well. I too like Canada and getting the race in more of South America and Africa instead of Europe and Asia would be a positive change. (although there is probably a lot of area that is unsafe in Africa)

Bart Ender

Bart Ender

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:08 AM

The recent decision by the Brazilian government to fingerprint American tourists probably rules that country out from the race. Article Here.

But Chile would be amazing, and Argentina looks to have settled down from their president-a-week period of a few years ago. And the Incan ruins in Peru would make a great leg of the race.

devajd

devajd

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

I was watching something on the Panama Canal yesterday and it struck me that it would be really cool to see the racers go through it. Perhaps they could combine it with another one of those container crane challenges like they did in Hong Kong?

LawDog

LawDog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

Now that you all mention it I too remeber reading or hearing something abour Japan being too expensive. That's a shame. Seems like it would be an interesting choice.

Having just seen Lost in Translation, Japan would seem to be a great and safe choice, if they can work out the logistics and the costs. (It's hard to imagine that the costs could be significantly greater than Switzerland and the logistics more difficult than China).

tarsier

tarsier

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Costs are a strange thing. Didn't I read here somewhere that the most expensive task they've had to date was the champagne/waltz roadblock in Vienna? It would seem the cost depends a lot more on what you do (and for how long) than where you do it.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:24 PM

and Argentina looks to have settled down from their president-a-week period

That's an interesting thought. We assume that producers would want teams to be in fairly stable regions. But then again, India has come up twice. I know it's not exactly a war zone or anything, but given political climates (w/ Pakistan, for example) and given the safety of women in certain situations there, it was kind of a big deal. Plus, there were the teams who approached the North Korean border. I guess my point is that even with certain political tensions, there are probably a lot of safe places in South America and Africa waiting to be utilized. I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing new locales.

Bart Ender

Bart Ender

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

Another location that's not without risk that I would love to see the racers go through is Dubai. You've got the whole Middle East culture shock thing, but you've got an Emirate full of boosters who pay big cash to bring in world-class golfers and tennis stars to play in local events--which tells me they wouldn't be opposed to having a few Americans running around with TV cameras. Plus sand skiing. And Emirates Airlines, which is turing Dubai into kind of an Atlanta Hartsfield for the Middle East--which makes for more options for locations for the next leg of the race.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:31 AM

I think it's been mentioned in a few articles that production feels that Japan is too expensive.

more expensive than Hawaii? I've been to both places, and never felt like I was getting ripped off anywhere in the world as much as I did in Hawaii. (Not arguing with you--I'm sure they said it--I just think they're being silly if that's their reasoning. It's not like Paris is a budget destination either).

Edited by brave little toaster, Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:32 AM.

Slowhatch

Slowhatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

It's not like Paris is a budget destination either

Or anyplace else in Europe for that matter. The dollar is taking a dive against the Euro and might not come up for air anytime soon; if the race goes through Europe (it usually does) I hope the production company pre-paid for arrangements.

MacMadame

MacMadame

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:41 AM

Hotels are very cheap in Hawaii though. Especially if you stay in a tourist destination.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:33 AM

I was under the impression that it wasn't the cost of food and hotels, etc., in Japan so much as it was the cost of permits and the red tape.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 8:16 PM

I was under the impression that it wasn't the cost of food and hotels, etc., in Japan so much as it was the cost of permits and the red tape.

I think that's the idea exactly. It hardly matters how high the cost of living is in Paris, Hawaii, japan, Dubai, wherever... it's the cost of production that makes the difference. It's logical to think that they might go hand in hand, but probably not necessarily.

Although the cost of living might make some difference if certain money-related tasks are involved (like hailing cabs or something); producers might feel obligated to give more spending money than they otherwise would've.

Edited by Frenchteacher, Jan 15, 2004 @ 8:18 PM.

The Australian

The Australian

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 5:47 AM

One wonders whether the racing for TAR5 has begun yet. There's been a lot of speculation about the schedule being pushed back, changes occurring to the usual production pattern, etc.

I think it's fair to speculate that our 24 new people have at least congregated somewhere in preparation for the race, and there may have been a Philimination or two for somebody, somewhere - anywhere? - as I type.

Considering that the major TAR4 spoilers/spec came from foreign press, I always get a laugh when I read articles saying that the future of Survivor is under grave threat from the dedicated spoiler brigade. How hard is it to guard a remote location for 40 days? (Though I do think it's unnecessary cost-cutting on staff that really undermines things for EPMB...)

For TAR, the cast is always out in the open and running around the world. The news stories often occur only because something from elsewhere in the year is being resurrected specifically for the racers and is therefore newsworthy (the cheese market in Alkmaar, bull racing in Alleppey). It's a tribute to WRP that they are able to keep things under wraps for so long, really.

So hopefully some correspondent somewhere in this great big world of ours is lured by a flash of red and yellow during the next 5 weeks or so. As long as they don't give names or descriptions I'll be happy - it's the anticipation of a great location that can help to make the long off-season tolerable.

Here's to TAR5, on tape - sooner or later!

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 7:35 AM

Ask and you shall receive, Australian! Hie yourself over to the resurrected "Spoiler" thread. We've got a location sighting report, with no descriptions or names of teams at this time. Just what the Australian ordered.

Edited by Rabrab, Jan 22, 2004 @ 7:36 AM.

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

I just (finally) saw Lost in Translation, and I'm convinced more than ever -- Japan! Japan! Japan! Would be a kick ass location for pretty much anything in the show. Cost be damned!

Mrsmom

Mrsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

Damn that HP banner!! Every time I see it at the top of a page I think it's a TAR announcement. Damn your little jet planes. Damnn your map of the world!!