The Brady Bunch

• Please log in to reply

4550 replies to this topic

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I love watching the reruns on INSP, but I don't love all the cuts that have been made to the episodes! For instance, yesterday I watched Part One of the Grand Canyon trilogy and the part where Greg is filming a western starring his brothers and sisters was completely cut out! I always loved that scene when I was growing up. (Except when Bobby keeps saying Peter would make a good villain because he's got shifty eyes. That kid irked me to no end.)

Speaking of that episode, just how old was Zaccariah supposed to be? He's talking about hanging out with gunslingers in saloons and makes reference to Jesse James. And was he really going to leave the Bradys in the jail cell, forcing them to resort to cannibalism? Ick.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

mmecorday, I despise cuts to shows, even if I know the episodes backwards and forwards. I understand about commercial time and all that, but it's just so irritating.See Little House episodes for more of same irritating practice.
I love how the vacation episodes have guest stars-Jim Baccus for Grand Canyon and Vincent Price for Hawaii.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Has anyone seen the commercial for eyeglasses where the woman invites a raccoon to snuggle with her because she can't see him? She comes out the patio door at the Brady house.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I didn't recognize the yard without the sack races and the teeter-totter.

LOL! And just as I was posting the link, that commercial came on! Freaky!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

just how old was Zaccariah supposed to be? He's talking about hanging out with gunslingers in saloons and makes reference to Jesse James. And was he really going to leave the Bradys in the jail cell, forcing them to resort to cannibalism? Ick.

Even though it would have been possible for a few folks born in the 19th century to have still been around circa 1973, they would have likely had been children during that period as opposed to adults. There was also an ep (the one in which Bobby idolizes Billy the Kid) in which the child of one of Billy's victims stops by to talk about what he remembered. He was played by character actor Burt Mustin who IRL was about 89 when he filmed the ep, though born three years after the real Billy The Kid reportedly died (1881). I think Zaccariah was exaggerating a little.

Zaccariah's and Professor Whitehead's (Vincent Price) behaviors really creep me out more now than at the time I'd seen those eps. I mean both of them kidnapped and held family members hostage! Zaccariah went as far as stealing the family car while Whitehead held spears to the Brady sons' throats!

They both got off rather lightly IMO!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Sorry about that.

Edited by magicdog, Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:56 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

There was also an ep (the one in which Bobby idolizes Billy the Kid) in which the child of one of Billy's victims stops by to talk about what he remembered.

I think it was Jesse James. I remember Bobby shooting off his cap gun while MIke was saying Grace. Then, after Mustin's character told Bobby that Jesse James had killed his father, Bobby had a dream about Jesse killing off his family.

Though it was supposed to be serious, I laughed, because the actor playing Jesse, was saying "bam!" as he pointed his gun and "killed" Bobby's family.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

I always wondered what the big deal was that Bobby idolized Jesse James. So what? Were they afraid he was going to grow up and rob trains? If he wrote an essay saying Hitler was his hero could see being upset by it! To actually find someone who survived one of James robberies and get him to come to the house? Wow, Mike and Carol. That's going the extra mile. I then read somewhere that in the original script Bobby was supposed to idolize skyjackers(which is what they called terrorists who took over planes back then) but the network made them change it.

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:00 PM.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I took their concern to be more about his enjoyment of it, as opposed to intellectual curiosity. I'd want to make sure my kid understood that as interesting as certain evil people can be, they were not fictional characters, and their evil deeds had serious genuine evil effects on ACTUAL people's lives.

Not that I'd probably do the legwork to track down direct victims and have them over. But the Bradys always went that extra yard.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

I then read somewhere that in the original script Bobby was supposed to idolize skyjackers(which is what they called terrorists who took over planes back then) but the network made them change it.

That would actually make some sense back then because it was right around the time of D.B. Cooper. I could see him being fascinated and daydreaming (of course) about what happened to Cooper.

Edited by vb68, Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:05 PM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Just saw the Davy Jones episode last week. Sigh! Davy looked good but he sure lost his babyfaced look from the Monkees tv show. I was trying to figure out how many years passed between the Monkees ending and this episode aired but it made my head hurt. Anyway, one thing I thought was funny that my sister pointed out. Since Marcia was head of his fan club wouldn't she know he was coming to town? She found out when Jan saw it in the newspaper. I thought that was funny.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken, The Monkees ran from '66-'68. The Davy Jones episode was in '73, I think. So...about five years?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

According to Wikipedia, "Getting Davy Jones" aired December 10, 1971.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Yeah, it was the third season so '71. Only three years. The Monkees ended just a year before TBB show started in '69 and actually the same year the pilot was filmed. Marcia would still be a fan of Davy's from when she was younger.

1973 was the start of the fifth and final season of the show. Also the same year they appeared on Celebrity Bowling! Here's GIFs of Maureen McCormick and Eve Plumb.

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:34 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I also remember all the kids as adults competing on this show called Star Games in the mid-80s. It was sort of like a weekly Battle of the Network Stars. It's weird that I remember them being the overall winners, but the link says they were not.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Well, I remember the Brady kids appearing on American Bandstand;dancing and lipsynching their way through "Time To Change".Does that make me old?
....don't answer that.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

We are talking about starting a new 1970's themed game in the Rec Room. Linkage thingy ain't working. Look for the "Sitcom Survival" game if you're interested, and please post?

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

I also remember all the kids as adults competing on this show called Star Games in the mid-80s. It was sort of like a weekly Battle of the Network Stars.

I loved those Battle of the Network Stars shows. I kind of wished they still did them. Were any of the Brady kids ever on them?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

Here's a link. I don't think they ever did, and that page seems to confirm it. It would have had to be one of the earlier ones in conjunction with the variety series. Man, I loved those too! It's fun to go through all the names.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

If Battle of the Network Stars had had potato sack races, the Brady kids would have aced them!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

They did have a water-dunking booth contest!

(Anybody know what thread to move the discussion to on those shows? It would be fun to talk about them more in-depth.)

Space Boy Zoom

Space Boy Zoom

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

ESPN Classic has been showing episodes of the old Battle of the Network Stars (from the late 1970s and early 1980s) on Monday nights - usually at 8:00 or 9:00. Unfortunately, they will preempt their Monday night lineup if they were doing a tribute to someone in the world of sports - this week they decided to show old boxing matches because boxing reporter Burt Sugar died over the weekend.

The episodes seem to heavily edited (down to 90 minutes) but are fun to watch. The last one to air two weeks ago was from Dec. 1982.

I have not seen any Brady Bunch members, though.

Edited by Space Boy Zoom, Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Probably the pop culture shows thread

Here's a GIF of Maureen McCormick almost making a spare on Celebrity Bowling.

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:29 PM.

junebug630

junebug630

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I cannot imagine them ever doing another "Battle of the Network Stars" again. Nevermind the fact that there are too many offshoots (who would represent, AMC, HBO Showtime etc.) but today's "stars" are so coddled that I am sure they wouldn't even let their entourages participate.
There was definitely a time when TV - for good or bad - was just TV and not a way for a bunch of showrunners to make a billion dollars in syndication.
Those days unfortunately, seem to be gone.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

The first two of the three "Hawaii" episodes were on yesterday. For the first time it occurred to me that Mike had to go in the water and rescue Greg after his wipe-out. No lifeguards on duty?

And what a nice boss that Mr. Phillips was. Paying for the whole family to go to Hawaii, housekeeper included.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Over the weekend I was in NYC and on Sunday, I tried to get lottery tickets for The Book of Mormon. I wasn't able to get the tickets and as I was walking away from the theatre, I happened to look at the guy leaving the theatre lobby. It was BARRY WILLIAMS! I stared at him and he stared at me (because honestly, the look on my face must have been priceless, I am sure that my eyes were totally bugging out) - he had to have known I recognized him. I didn't want to bother him though so I didn't say anything but it finally occured to me today I should have at least gotten a picture with him. Plus, I was so freaked out, I really wasn't thinking coherently.

Heh, I ran to tell my friends that I had just seen Greg Brady and this guy standing there said to me "It was him!", and then this other group asked me who I just saw and when I told them it was Greg Brady they got really excited. So...people still love Greg Brady.

If I had been thinking, I should have pointed to him and said "Its Johnny Bravo!!"

Edited by M. Darcy, May 15, 2012 @ 12:13 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

And here is his new baby: http://www.people.co...595376,00.html?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Awww, she's cute! I'm not sure I'd want to be a parent at his age though(isn't he in his mid-50s now?).

And M. Darcy, I think I'd be the same way if I saw a celebrity. I'd be scared to desth of tripping over my words or saying something stupid, and I probably would want to give them their privacy.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Cute baby, and there's a big resemblance to Barry in that picture.Baby Mommy looks quite a bit younger.

M.Darcy, congrats on your brush with Brady Greatness. I've actually spoken to him twice, once in 1978 at a Kenley Players production, and once in the mid 90's, during the book tour for Growing Up Brady. Each time I managed to act like a dork. Got a kiss from him in 1978, I was almost 18, heh.
I'm sort of thankful I only saw Paul McCartney from the stage in Cincinnati last summer. If I had been lucky enough to meet him backstage,I would have cried and then passed out.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

It was actually the 4th time I've seen him - on Broadway in Romance Romance, off off Broadway (I don't remember the name of the show but I walked by him when he walked to the bathroom), and when he toured in City of Angels (I got his autograph then). Yeah, I hated to bother him and wanted to give him his privacy but I wish I could have at least thanked him because the Bunch has been such an important part of my life. But he could probably tell from my reaction.

I looked up his age - he's 57. He was looking a little tried - but a new baby explains that. He's only 2 years younger than Robert Reed was when he died :-(