Old Battlestar Galactica Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

502 replies to this topic

Loki

Loki

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:57 AM

BG has to get picked up by the SciFi channel...

... because I can't stop using the phrase "kicked him in the gimbals" and explaining the ref to someone without the show around takes too damn long.

Edited by Loki, Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:01 AM.

adhonus

adhonus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

If Sci-Fi is worried about the costs of picking up the series, perhaps they could work out a deal with one of the networks to rebroadcast it? ABC does this with Monk because they're so desperate to fill their airtime with something. (I've not seen Monk, but I hear it's a great show)

Sure, it might tank, but with airings in two different media (if you count broadcast and cable as separate mediums) maybe it would become more of a bankable deal.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Great idea adhonus....wish they'd done that with Farscape.

Pouncer

Pouncer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:54 AM

I’ve just finished watching Battlestar Galactica. Again. How I love this miniseries!

I was struck once again by how much the destruction of Colonial civilization affected me emotionally, even if it did occur off-screen. The reactions of the main characters made clear how devastating the Cylon attack was, and the differing agendas of the government and the military in response to the attack were perfect.

I love Apollo. I really do. He’s so repressed and tortured by the death of his brother. Zack’s death affects his relationships with both his father and Starbuck, in ways that change over the course of the miniseries. At the beginning, he’s obviously estranged from his father, and I think he hasn’t spoken to him voluntarily in ages. He’s unhappy to be on the Galactica and is only there because he was ordered. Then, when the Cylon attack is underway, he meets Laura Roslin. He’s immediately impressed by the way she has taken charge of the situation aboard the transport ship and begins to help her right away. He defies his father and Commander’s orders to evacuate to Ragnar Anchorage per her orders (“Acknowledge … receipt of message.” “What does that mean?!” “It means I heard you.” – this always makes me laugh). I’m very curious now about Lee’s relationship with his mother. He’s almost insubordinate with his father, and is highly reserved. With Laura, though, he’s comfortable and at ease when he offers his opinions. She respects his point of view, although her first priority is saving refugees.

When Apollo returns to the Galactica, he still does his best to help the newly sworn in President with her goals of providing aid to the civilian refugees. He knows her opinion that the war is lost and the remnants of the Colonials need to run. When Commander Adama changes his mind about what Galactica will do, Apollo gets to step up and second his father’s order to evacuate the solar system. The scene where Apollo waits for his father in his quarters, looking at the picture of his now-dead mother and brother, was beautifully done. He’s been too busy trying to survive himself to realize that his mother is gone, but now he has a moment to breathe and it hits him. That awkward embrace between Lee and Adama spoke volumes for the history of their relationship – tension melting for an instant into a little boy seeking the comfort of his remaining parent. And after they’ve reached safety, he goes to his father and almost says something to bridge the distance between them. But Adama rejects his near-overture, telling Lee to save it for tomorrow. I don’t think tomorrow will ever come for them, and I love that. All that pain is so glorious.

His relationship with Starbuck has an odd sort of closeness when they meet in the brig. She can jibe at him and he just takes it, probably because she was involved with his brother. The picture in Starbuck’s locker makes it clear that they spent time together at one point. But later, when she tells him that she passed Zack in flight school, I thought I saw something change in his eyes. Starbuck now shares responsibility for Zack’s death with Adama, and I wonder how that will affect her relationship with Apollo. Of course, the fact that she later saved his life through an insane bit of flying might also factor into his feelings for her.

Vox

Vox

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

I saw mixed emotions from Apollo when Starbuck made her confession ...

There was anger. But it wasn't all directed at her. As long as Apollo cast all of the blame for his brother's death on his father, it allowed him to avoid his own feelings of responsibility. It allowed him to avoid the natural anger he felt towards his brother both as a part of the grieving process and because of the carelessness on Zac's part that must have contributed to the accident. When Starbuck took some of the blame on herself, suddenly he had to face the fact that they all bore some responsibility. He may have also realized how the anger he expressed toward his father added to Starbuck's pain. And it was interesting that Starbuck basically cited her love of Zac as the sin--that she loved Zac so much that she could not confront him with his shortcomings as a pilot. Apollo apparently never confronted his brother either--probably for the same reason.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:22 AM

Does SciFi have any plans to rebroadcast the miniseries any time soon?

Bruin4Ever

Bruin4Ever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

They don't have it scheduled in January or February.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

• Interests:I remember when we had to dial-in upstream both ways to get to MBTV in a blizzard, and we didn't have modems! We had to whistle the tones in. The mods used to take us behind the woodshed and beat us for not using correct capitalization. I remember BEFORE TUBEY!<br /><br />Also I remember, but never really 'dug' Dawson's Wrap. The Fivehead scared me. So I'm old, but I ain't THAT old.

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:38 PM

Avast! Moore: Galactica Up In Air

The "jury is still out" on whether SCI FI will pick up the highly rated miniseries as a full-blown series, Moore told the site.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

Futon Critic posted yesterday that cast members have had their options extended through this month, giving the network until then to make a final yay or nay on it.

In the interest of clarifying an earlier boo boo, I was flat out dumbass wrong in placing Aaron Douglas as a cast member of Dark Skies. The actor I was thinking of was actually Tim Kelleher. My bad.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

Here's a strange cross-reference for you--perhaps even an homage of sorts on Moore's part. Eh. Probably not. Probably entirely a coincidence.

I was watching my Angel Season 1 DVDs yesterday and the "super-hot" female demon from the episode entitled "She" has a spiky spine that lights up when the sexual tension is cranked up. I howled when I saw that, screaming "Sex of Nine! Sex of Nine!" into a (thankfully) empty house.

Why yes, I was drinking a hefty gin-and-tonic at the time. Why do you ask?

swannlore

swannlore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

I just finished watching the miniseries again this morning. I have to say that I have mixed feelings about it becoming a series, on one hand I would love it because as long as Ron Moore stayed with it the show would remain intelligent and mature. And yet if it became a weekly I get the feeling that something might be taken away from it. So I really wouldn't mind if they chose to do what someone else here suggested and do a series of miniseries. Either way I just want to see more of the cast and the story but I also want the quality of the show to stay up to par as well.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

• Interests:I remember when we had to dial-in upstream both ways to get to MBTV in a blizzard, and we didn't have modems! We had to whistle the tones in. The mods used to take us behind the woodshed and beat us for not using correct capitalization. I remember BEFORE TUBEY!<br /><br />Also I remember, but never really 'dug' Dawson's Wrap. The Fivehead scared me. So I'm old, but I ain't THAT old.

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

Link and a quote below. The news I have says they're going to make the call in '60 days' (from Jan 9). This is from Bonnie Hammer, the SciFi channel Prez. Blah blah cost cakes. On the interesting side of things, there will be a soundtrack released by La-La Land Records.

Jan 9 Flordia Today

"Battlestar Galactica" is still wobbling. A miniseries drew strong ratings for the Sci Fi Channel, which expects to decide in the next two weeks whether to make it into a series.
"We loved it," says network president Bonnie Hammer. "It's just a matter of the budget and the other things we're planning."

She's already committed to air two miniseries this year -- the five-hour "5 Days to Midnight" in June and the four-hour "Earthsea," based on Ursula Le Guin books, in December.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

The curse of the SciFi Channel - good taste, no money.

Colonial Philistine

Colonial Philistine

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 7:13 PM

I think some Farscape fans might disagree with you on the taste thing (choosing Tremors?).

thingamajig

thingamajig

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

Whuh, an Earthsea miniseries?! That could be really good or really bad. Honestly, I'd rather see them pick up BG as a series (or set of miniseries). I think it could certainly do about as well as SciFi can expect from their network.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 4:20 AM

SciFi had the good taste to choose Farscape, but the financing was a patchwork at best, and when it fell apart, the show ended abruptly. I think BG would be a good pickup for SciFi, but given their current circumstances (are they going to be part of the NBC conglomerate?), the ungodly delay is a little more understandable, if not particularly fun.

pleonasm

pleonasm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:10 PM

So we Canadians finally got a chance to catch Part 1 on Space last night. Finally... My apologies for probably covering ground the rest of you have already discussed but I am trying to stay spoiler free for Part 2 airing tonight.

All in all, I thought it was ok. There was some really solid subplots. I loved the sequence on Earth with Boomer, her co-pilot, and the survivors. The use of the lottery and then the co-pilot giving up his seat for the 'great' scientist Baltar was great. In fact, Baltar was probably the most interesting character in Part 1. He is scheming, weak, spineless, and yet the most human of all the characters.

As for the main cast, I wasn't exactly impressed. Edward James O was competant as Adama, but hardly engaging. I liked the actor playing Colonel Tigh, but was 'meh' about Apollo and Starbuck. Maybe part 2 will do them justice, but they seemed very one note and not particulary interesting so far. Mary McDonell was good as the Education Secretary, now President. I especially liked the Oath ceremony. It felt tremendously claustrophobic and tense.

Ron Moore spent alot of time thinking about the work culture, procedures, and organization of the Battlestar, I'd just wish he had spent a few more rewrites on putting together some interesting scenes for the main characters.

The battle sequences were solid and definetly an improvement over the original. It felt different than your standard sci-fi war sequences which is always good.

As for the Cylons, I should preface this with my feelings about the original series. I loved it as a kid, but rewatching some of episodes recently, it wasn't a very good show (except for perhaps 'The Battlestar Galactica' theme, which needed to be reused in more than the one scene). It would have been nice to see more of them. The human Cylon felt a little tired, especially after all the Terminators and Buffybots of the last few years, but I did like their ships.

What I didn't like was the adolescent use of sexuality in the story... The Cylon kissing the guy in the opening sequence (What was the point? To distact him? ) and the glowing spine during Baltar's sex scene? (It felt cheesy, amateurish, and more fanboy than good television.)

Overall, It wasn't bad. I'm looking forward to part 2.

SilverOwl

SilverOwl

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 12:48 AM

Well, the fisrt news are coming in. Check this out. Do you think is true?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

Can't tell if it's true or not, since the only source is Cinescape. Incidentally, caught an old BG marathon last week. There was an episode I hadn't seen before, "Young Lords", which was like Dirty-Dozen-meets-Family-Affair-meets-Hogans-Heroes. What I just noticed for the first time is that the 'Lucifer' style Cylons also have eyes with pupils that sweep back and forth - except that instead of being synchronized, each pupil moved in the opposite direction. So the pupils alternated wandering outward and being cross-eyed.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 8:25 PM

Well I suppose it's either that or looking like they're watching a tennis match...

I hope the new show does get picked up, preferably as a mini-series. I'd prefer six great hours to 22 horribly-padded episodes.

Zaphod B

Zaphod B

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things Whedon and a few others.

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 8:29 PM

Bit more rumourlicious news from Cinescape -
Greenlight?

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

Squee! 6 episodes is better than none. And in the cases of most shows it's much better than 22, or even 13.

I've often thought American TV could stand to learn from some of the BBC shows that only have 6 eps per series/season. Most of our shows would be so much better if they had to condense their storytelling.

swannlore

swannlore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

Yes!!! That's all that I can say, and I'll probably end up watching the miniseries over and over until they air the new stuff.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:12 AM

I have no problem with a 6 episode story arc as long as it's done as well as the miniseries.

adhonus

adhonus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

I think six episodes is all they need to tell a good story. It means they'll have to be tight, and there won't be useless filler. The rules of television are changing, and a six-episode season of BG could be a good example of why this is a good thing for people who want to watch something really, really good.

It's been six weeks or so since the mini-series, and I'm still thinking about it. If it comes back, I want it to be good.

Zaphod B

Zaphod B

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things Whedon and a few others.

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 7:44 PM

Interesting link - Foundation Demo

Edited by Zaphod B, Jan 25, 2004 @ 7:45 PM.

mad_typist

mad_typist

Fanatic

• Interests:Rugby, writing fiction and poetry, world domination

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 3:11 PM

I agree that a well-written 6 episode arc could be really awesome. Hope they get moving on this fast. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

This is my chain. This is my chain being yanked. Argh.

Battlestar Galactica 2003 interviews Ron Moore. Synop? The decision of the series would be made within the week (as of 1/27).

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 2:50 PM

I think the initial press on this was that Sci-Fi has until Friday (end of the business month) to actually cut the check, and they seem to be taking right up to Friday to yay or nay the release of the purse strings.

Pouncer

Pouncer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 7:55 PM

Well, until we get the word on whether or not the series will come back (please!), I have this to offer: I wrote fanfiction. Fallout - What happens to those left behind?