Hey Hey We're the Monkees!

• Please log in to reply

652 replies to this topic

Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

I've always loved the Monkees. I taped all of the shows that were on MTV, but now I have seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and have been watching them every weekend. I can't get enough.

The Monkees was my very first concert ever. Unfortunately, this was the '86 20th anniversary tour and Mike wasn't there. I hate Mike. Bitter?...no, not me.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Is this show on in reruns anywhere? I remember thinking it was silly when I was 7 or 8 and it was on, so I'd probably find it really kitschy now. But I do love the music. I have the greatest hits CD, and I just love singing along. They really did sound good. BTW, Mickey was my favorite.

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 9:24 PM

Does anybody own the DVDs? I've been tempted to purchase them but I'm not sure if the extras are any good.

I was always a Peter woman. I loved his innocence and sensitivity.

What do you mean it was just a TV show? He's really that way isn't he?

Isn't he?

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

I was always a Peter woman. I loved his innocence and sensitivity.

And don't forget his groovy fashions - oh, and those dimples! Pete was one of the first "boys" I thought was not creepy.

senor coconut

senor coconut

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:46 PM

Davy's accent is for real.
Head may be one whacked up pot smoking piece of cinema verite, but I love the Porpoise Song

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:25 AM

I always used to watch re-runs of this show in the summer back when I was in elementary school. It was hilarious and the Monkeemobile was so cool.

Hey has anyone seen that made for TV movie they did a few years ago about the Monkees. Man they sure made Mike Nesmith look like a jerk in that. Although the funniest part of that was the scene where they met the Beatles and you hear the guy playing Paul say bollocks.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

I didn't watch the TV movie as I prefer to love them in my own way. I met Peter Tork - who wants to touch me? :)

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

The movie was pretty bad; it was on TV one afternoon when I came home from work so I watched pretty much the whole thing. Like I said the Paul McCartney part was the best part, which pretty much says how unexciting it was. Although I did learn that the album the wrote and produced themselves came out a week before Sergeant Pepper's and that once it came out everyone apparently forgot about the Monkees.

So, Pulpbomb how does someone go about meeting Peter Tork? Did you actively go out looking for him or was it more of a chance meeting?

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Jan 23, 2004 @ 10:07 AM.

serendipity

serendipity

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

The Monkees ROCK, yo. I loved everything about them. My crush gravitated equally among them, except for Peter. Really, PETER, y'all? The dumb act was just a bit much much for me, although now I'm figuring he's probably the nicest of all of them in RL.

Davy was adorable (shoot me, I like short guys), and Micky of all of them seemed to have a sexy edge under the zaniness, but I would have MARRIED Mike. There's trash on him; really? I haven't kept up. Fill me in. I just remember seeing on TV, about 15 years ago, that he was really active in pioneering music videos, and MTV in particular. Is that true?

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

Well, when I was in school in Burlington, VT, I found out thru the Monkees Mailing List that Peter and his friend James Lee Stanley were going to be performing in a local coffee shop and so I dragged my friend to go with me. After the show they sat in a booth in the back and signed autographs and took pictures. I have this awesome pic of the three of us and the grin on my face is like Chesire cat huge! Also he signed my Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones cd insert. :)

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

Hey has anyone seen that made for TV movie they did a few years ago about the Monkees. Man they sure made Mike Nesmith look like a jerk in that. Although the funniest part of that was the scene where they met the Beatles and you hear the guy playing Paul say bollocks.

I thought it was ok. Cute. The casting of the four guys was good -- especially Micky, who was played by one of the kids from Newsies. I rented the dvd, which had commentary & an interview with Micky, Peter, and Davey (all recorded/filmed separately), and a commentary by the director. So even if you saw the tv-movie on VH-1 and thought it was lame, it's worth renting (or buying) for the extras alone.

I got hooked on the Monkees during the 80's resurgence (I was born in '72). One time MTV did a 24-hour marathon, and I watched/recorded the whole thing. I think Peter's my favorite.

I bought the season 1 dvd set...but it's in the stack of 'to-be-watched' dvd's. Without the motivation of Netflix, it's likely to stay in the stack for some time.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

The passage of time has made me appreciate The Monkees' music more and more. At the time (I was a teenager when they hit the scene) their songs seemed like ripoffs of the Beatles. Because, in fact, they were. But with the perspective of time, it became apparent that those songs--written by "Brill Building"-type songwriters of the time like Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Boyce and Hart, Neil Diamond, Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann--were excellent ripoffs of the Beatles. Which is not to be taken for granted.

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 2:32 AM

I have both Season 1 and 2 on dvd (I feel shame for admitting this). In terms of extras: Season 1 has their Kellogg's commercials and the original pilot where Boyce and Hart are singing their versions of the Monkees songs. Season 2 has the 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee special and little clips of skits they did on the Glen Campbell hour. There's commentary on random episodes on both box sets, minus Micky on the first seasons. I like the second season better just because I enjoyed the music from those albums more than the first.

Micky does commentary for the "Frodis" episode on Season 2 and I wound up completely hating him afterwards. All he does is scream stupid things throughout the entire commentary. I was gritting my teeth and had to stop watching it halfway through. He was that annoying.

I just remember seeing on TV, about 15 years ago, that he was really active in pioneering music videos, and MTV in particular. Is that true?

serendipity, if you can find it, I recommend renting Elephant Parts. It's Nesmith sketches and videos for his songs from the seventies. It's really funny and a little whacked out. Supposedly, he made some kind of video/sketch compilation called "Popclips" and then MTV bought the idea and changed it to only include videos, but no comedy sketches.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

So Mrs. Lane and I settled back this evening to watch the DVD of the complete Ed Sullivan Show that featured the first live American television appearance of the Beatles. You get to see the show from start to finish, with all the acts, plus the commercials. One of the other acts was a performance by the Broadway cast of two numbers from the then-current hit musical "Oliver!" (based on "Oliver Twist"). The first of these two songs was "I'll Do Anything," featuring a very major contribution from the young actor portraying The Artful Dodger--DAVY JONES!!! Isn't that freaky? I never knew the very same TV episode that introduced the Beatles to America also introduced a future Monkee. The universe works in strange ways...

Arabella

Arabella

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

So Mrs. Lane and I settled back this evening to watch the DVD of the complete Ed Sullivan Show that featured the first live American television appearance of the Beatles. You get to see the show from start to finish, with all the acts, plus the commercials. One of the other acts was a performance by the Broadway cast of two numbers from the then-current hit musical "Oliver!" (based on "Oliver Twist"). The first of these two songs was "I'll Do Anything," featuring a very major contribution from the young actor portraying The Artful Dodger--DAVY JONES!!!

I was just going to post about this very thing! It amazes me that whoever put the DVD together apparently didn't realize what they had. I'm glad I'm not the only one to recognize him.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:29 PM

At least y'all have the DVD, I had to trade something or other to get a VHS copy back in the day. Got a nice photocopied black and white box to go with it. I love that entire ep.

senso mccoy

senso mccoy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 5:52 AM

My best friend and I have been watching both seasons of The Monkees on DVD. And we've always joked about it, but seriously: there's an unspeakable amount of HoYay on this show. It's almost to the point where I find myself yelling at the screen, "Dammit, Micky, just kiss Mike already!"

Micky does commentary for the "Frodis" episode on Season 2 and I wound up completely hating him afterwards. All he does is scream stupid things throughout the entire commentary. I was gritting my teeth and had to stop watching it halfway through. He was that annoying.

Did he snort up any phlegm through his throat? That man has the worst habit of doing that.

Myn

Myn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 10:13 AM

paraphrasing) Davey "Take a bunch of little, metal bottletops, and nail them all over your living room floor. Then you could have the sensation of walking on little. Metal. Bottletops."

I fell in love with that accent...to the point where I mail-ordered his autobiography, "They Made a Monkee out of Me". And read it twice! I missed the concert tour when it came through town in '86, but I got my t-shirt and spent hours perfecting my full color sketch of the Monkees logo. (so what if I traced it from an album cover?!)

Now who's a big, fat dork?

Oh, my fave album is definitely Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, but my single favorite song is "Shades of Grey".

Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 9:11 PM

NOOOOO! I definitely will not be able to watch that episode with his commentary. He's my favorite one. I can't let his actual personality get in the way of that.

They're all frozen in time for me. I can't look at them the way they are now - it's too painful.

Skip Intro

Skip Intro

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 7:48 PM

There’s an hysterical segment in one of the Ben Stiller Show episodes, updating/translating The Monkees into the early 1990s: hey hey, it’s The Grungies. The opening titles are shot-for-shot identical to The Monkees — overlapped stepping, riding a brass bed down the street, dressing as Foreign Legion, playing croquet, etc. As is typical of the original series, this parody episode features the boys hoping to get their big break at an upcoming concert where a record label scout will be attending. (Wonderful bit of stunt casting: the scout was played by Micky Dolenz.) And, of course, Jonesie falls in love with the lead singer of a grrl band who’s also at the concert.

senso mccoy

senso mccoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 12:26 AM

I'm totally addicted to the DVDs. I find the Monkees most enjoyable when they're trying to actually "act". Unintentional comedy for all!

Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 8:40 AM

They're not "actors", they're "musicians". Hee!

It Does Not Follow

It Does Not Follow

Posted Apr 18, 2004 @ 1:57 PM

Gee, couldn't tell. I don't believe for a sec that the more recent N&JVH could hold a sword to these guys.

One more interesting trivia tidbit: on many shows presented by that company, the Screen Gems animation was all you saw after the credits. Here, because it was on NBC, we had that familiar three-bong fanfare immediately thereafter.

ld

ld

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 4:30 PM

I, too, fell for them during the '80s resurgence. Funny thing is, I remember watching them some years before that, when I was in grade school. Back then, Mike and Peter didn't even register on my mental radar. Didn't even register. When I saw them during the '80s reunion--that all-day marathon MTV or VH1 ran--I was like, "Who are those two guys? I don't remember them."

Within short order they had become my favorites.

I'm dragging my feet a little on picking up the DVDs because as much as I love 'em, my hard-earned cash is going to other DVDs right now. But never fear: every few years I rediscover my love of the Monkees all over again. It's like they never quite go away. But why would I want 'em to? :-)

I've met Peter at his concerts with James Lee Stanley and he's a total sweetheart (as is James). Plus they make some fine, fine music.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 7:27 AM

I was at the El Paso Texas airport one day in the summer of 1996 to pick up a friend, and when the plane landed Micky, Davy, and Peter got off. My friend told me they had been very nice to everyone on the plane who had wanted to talk to them or ask for autographs.

I liked the fact that once in a while the show’s humor would surprise you … kind of like they suddenly wanted to throw everybody a curve ball and prove they had some smarts. Case in point: Lon Chaney Jr. once appeared as a comic gangster, and in one scene he pulled a mouse out of his pocket instead of a gun. How many Monkee fans had seen him in the film version of Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men”, I ask you? (Well, besides me.) On the other hand, I must have missed all the pot jokes… what can I say; I was a square kid.

It Does Not Follow

It Does Not Follow

Posted Aug 11, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Nothing wrong with being a square. And nice comedic analogy, too. I only wish today's sitcoms would follow that particular guideline instead of giving one particular character (I'm looking at you) nothing but punchlines.

Texaswonder

Texaswonder

Posted Aug 11, 2004 @ 11:04 PM

YAY, a Monkees thread! I adore them, have since 1986 or so during the 20th anniversary. My fave was Micky back then, now, it's a tie between Micky and Davy. I went to a local oldies radio fest a few years ago and saw Micky and Davy billed as The Monkees, they were fun and energetic. My fave album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd...and my fave song is Randy Scouse Git.

I have season two on DVD, but only because I got it for Christmas. Hopefully, I can get season one and make it a marathon one of these days.

The Monkees...are like....far out man. :)

Curly Girl

Curly Girl

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

I saw Micky performing in Aida on Broadway last week. The man still has some serious chops -- his singing was great.

The acting, however, not so much. Maybe I watched way too many episodes during my life, but it felt like Micky the Monkee doing a character, rather than just the character.

Meta-monkee freakout!

soccerfiesta

soccerfiesta

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2005 @ 12:47 AM

Okay, I'm confused- I found this thread only when I did a search. Why doesn't it appear on the Sitcoms forums page? It looks like it's supposed to, but where is it?

ETA: And then suddenly it appeared on the Sitcoms page, but only after I wrote this reply. Where on earth was it hiding it before that?

While I'm pondering this mystery and hoping to find an answer, I'll go ahead and profess my love for this unique, fun show. I was obsessed with it when I was about thirteen, which was in the late 80's. I didn't care that the show had debuted some twenty years earlier- I was still as crazy about Davy Jones as if the show had just come out. I was fascinated with the fact that I was the same height as Davy, since he's on the the short side, and I remember putting little height markers on my wall saying, "Davy Jones is this tall", "Micky is this tall," etc. because I saw their heights printed somewhere (in the bios on the back of one of the records?). So that way anyone who came in could compare themselves in height, should they want to!
I also remember skimming the atlas looking for Clarksville.

Gee, couldn't tell. I don't believe for a sec that the more recent N&JVH could hold a sword to these guys.

Please tell me, what is this?

Edited by soccerfiesta, Feb 7, 2005 @ 2:03 AM.

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2005 @ 7:04 AM

this mystery

Unless you sort it to show differently, the Forum pages show in order the most recently posted to threads. It defaults to 30 days back. The Monkees were just hidden within the forum.