Teen Titans: They'll Pop You Like a Zit

• Please log in to reply

1065 replies to this topic

Schwartzvald

Schwartzvald

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

I'll be sure to tell him you said that. :)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

Bumping...new episode airs this Saturday at 9 pm.

Schwartzvald

Schwartzvald

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Aqualad looked pretty cool in this morning's episode, and I liked the rivalry/bonding he had with Beast Boy. Does this open the door to future crossovers with other DC characters (HINT: BatmanBatmanBatman!!!)? I certainly hope so...

Edited by Schwartzvald, Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:59 PM.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

I started off hating TT, then liking it a little bit, then slacked off, and now I'm watching the old ones. The quasi-anime is getting less grating, though I really hope this new season gives Starfire a less annoying personality. And a bellybutton.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:57 PM

Let's review:

1. Starfire wants to celebrate a holiday from her homeworld, the Festival of the Falling Anvil. However, the Titans are squabbling amonsgt themselves.

2. Star lays down her concept of the team drifting apart. Then the team fights Warp, a thief from the future. In the escape, Starfire is flung 20 years into the future.

3. Turns out? The Titans have drifted apart. Cyborg's got no batteries and is forced to stay at the Tower; Beast Boy is balding and working as a one-person freakshow; Raven is in a white room and somewhat insane.

4. Starfire sees Warp again, and he says that the future...his future can't be changed...that her being plucked out of time has absolutely nothing to do with her friends' fates.

5. Warp is beat back by Robin...who's going by Nightwing these days. Seriously...he's in Dick's jumpsuit and has longer hair. Blah, blah, blah, Titans regroup, defeat Warp, and send Starfire back to her past. Since she brought back what Warp stole, which he felt destined to steal since it was reported disappearing, the future can be changed. The Titans celebrate the Festival of the Falling Anvil.

Not much else to add...not bugged that Warp isn't French. Oh, and a few mutants from "Dark Knight Returns" pop up.

Next week: Beast Boy captured! "I will hug him and pet him and call him George!"

ETA: Heh...Star has a Mumbo alarm clock.

Edited by Lantern7, Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:18 AM.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

5. Warp is beat back by Robin...who's going by Nightwing these days. Seriously...he's in Dick's jumpsuit and has longer hair.

Ugh, so that annoying lil kid is Dick Grayson? Damn it to hell.

Edited by skyegazer, Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:51 PM.

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:57 PM

I thought Robin was the other annoying little twit, whats-his-name.

Insane!Raven in the white room was very creepy. I liked it. I just hope the rest of the season isn't so predictable from the start of the episodes.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

In the white room..with black curtains...

It wrong on very many levels that NightWing looked like he was going to kiss Starfire.
Not that she's an alien, but you know, she's intergalactic jailbait.
Beastboy's chubby belly and hairline was too funny. They must've based it on a Wizard magazine editor.

Fredericks

Fredericks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:02 AM

It wrong on very many levels that NightWing looked like he was going to kiss Starfire.
Not that she's an alien, but you know, she's intergalactic jailbait.

Hee! Same thing I thought. A cry of "R. Kelly!" went up in the room when we saw that scene.

mcmaenza

mcmaenza

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:41 AM

My favorite bit of this first episode of season 2 is when future Beast Boy looks up at future Robin/Nightwing's long flowing hair and whines "Dude, that is so not fair!" Cracked me up!

I too would have liked Warp to have a French accent but what can you do.

SKJAM

SKJAM

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:03 AM

5. Warp is beat back by Robin...who's going by Nightwing these days. Seriously...he's in Dick's jumpsuit and has longer hair.

Ugh, so that annoying lil kid is Dick Grayson? Damn it to hell.

No, current Robin is (theoretically) Tim Drake--but because Starfire disappeared, Tim never became his own person and just followed Dick's career path slavishly.

At least that's my theory.

(hmm....Festival of the Falling Anvil? Given the way Starfire is depicted, I wouldn't bet against that being an actual holiday on her world.)

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

You know what was dissapointing? I was hoping Robin/Nightwing had Slade's cut head somewhere to show that he will finally go away sometime.

Too bad the writers basically wrote everyone off but Robin (as usual) Why couldn't we see Cyborg as perhaps a millionaire from selling replicas of his parts?, or a more dignified Beast boy (maybe he could have a TV show, not a damn pathetic cage...) as usual, this show kisses Robin's ass all over. Or show Slade's conquering all since the Titan's disappeared.

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

I would've liked to have seen how Cyborg got out of the tower after he said earlier that he didn't have the stuff to make a new power cell. I guess it was the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP that enabled him to leave the tower.

I'm already tired of the Robin and Starfire Show. I get it, they like each other.

My favorite bit of this first episode of season 2 is when future Beast Boy looks up at future Robin/Nightwing's long flowing hair and whines "Dude, that is so not fair!"

Me, too. It was the only bit that made me laugh. Not hard to do considering how depressing the rest of the episode was.

Schwartzvald

Schwartzvald

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

You think Beast Boy had it rough in that episode, wait'll you see what happens when he gets abducted by aliens!

Edited by Schwartzvald, Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:57 PM.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 9:42 PM

Not!Beastboy, the Talking Alien Dog, was pretty funny. I swear that dogs voice sounds familier, but I'm not sure from where. Kind of like that talking time traveling dog with glasses?

Pretty good episode, better then the repeat of last weeks episode I saw this morning in my opinion.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

Kinda funny, kinda lame. I hope "Sodo" or whatever was a kid...otherwise, that would be REALLY sad.

No commerical for next week's ep? Is there an ep?

jolly_roger

jolly_roger

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

I enjoyed the toy-like quality of the spaceship's controls. It cemented my impression that Sodo was definitely a little kid, and quite a young one at that. And in that case, how self-involved must his parents be, that they'd let their kid fly his toy spaceship to strange planets, and kidnap the inhabitants, all willy-nilly.

The animation in this ep was several notches above that of the initial eps. (Remember how crappy and off-model the Thunder & Lightning animation was?) I hope this level of quality continues.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:06 AM

No commerical for next week's ep? Is there an ep?

Terra shows up next ep.

Kinda funny, kinda lame. I hope "Sodo" or whatever was a kid...otherwise, that would be REALLY sad.

He really brought back The Critic memories for me, like he was one of those foreign exchange students from Easter Island.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:52 PM

OK, that? Best episode ever. It was the first one I actually enjoyed on its own merits.

And I agree with jolly_roger's interpretation of the spaceship controls. It looked like my nephew's Busy Box.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:27 AM

Terra shows up next ep.

Awwwww yeah. In the comics Terra was the one who betrayed the Titans to Slade . Here she's voiced by the lovely Ashley Jonhson of Growing Pains and Recess fame.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

I've seen the show a couple of times and I've never posted in or read this topic, so sorry if it's been discussed before. Does anyone know who that guy in the commercial is? The one who says "Enjoy your time on the stage my friends, your curtain will fall soon enough."?

The reason I ask is because he has an awesome voice, in my opinion. I always pause to listen to that commercial because I like hearing him talk. Too bad I missed the episode he was in...

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 5:12 PM

That's Slade, the Assassin Formerly Known as Deathstroke. And believe me, he's the most irritating part of this show. Just wakes up one morning and decides he's going to bust the chops of five hyper-anime children. No real motivation...he's handled much better in the DC comic book.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 8:49 PM

And that voice would be the unmistakeable Ron Perlman, whose voice work I came to know and love first in one of my favorite computer games of all time, Fallout.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:06 AM

Ah, alright. Thanks!

Schwartzvald

Schwartzvald

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

BTW, whatever happened to...those villains from early in Season One (Mammoth, Gizmo & Jinx)?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

Gizmo popped up in "Car Trouble"...the others are in limbo.

"Terra"...not bad, save for one detail. It's five letters long, starts with "s" and rhymes with "Wade." Once again, Slade sticks his nose into Titans business, trying to talk Terra into the dark side. Oh...Terra's a cutie...minimalist costume, as compared to her comics version. She runs into the Titans, they let her stay over, and Beast Boy falls in love. But she's having trouble with her geokinetic powers, and she's hypersensitive about that. Naturally, Salde uses that to drive a wedge between her and the Titans. So I'm guessing that next time they meet up, Terra will be in Slade's employ, as in the comics version. Hopefully, she won't be sucking his dick.

Terra ATE Starfire's delicacy. Wow. Ewwwww.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

I was surprised at how immediatly likeable Terra was for me, even though she had some mary sue elements going on with her character.

jolly_roger

jolly_roger

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 6:29 AM

Holy cow, the animation was gorgeous, especially on Terra. Loved the flying sequences, and how the speed would cause her hair to float around. Very nice. And I like how they seem to be doing a different spin on the comics storyline. It's nice to see a Terra who's not a psychotic whore. (I just realized -- Joss Whedon totally borrowed from the Titans comic when he created Faith. The Mayor = Deathstroke minus the BJ's. Huh.)

Just pure speculation here, but maybe Slade is Terra's long-lost daddy, and his whole motivation for screwing with the Titans is to exert a measure of control on super-powered kids, when he couldn't do that with Terra. Maybe he wanted Terra to be his "apprentice" after all. But he wanted to manipulate her into following him, not force her, which would explain his behavior in this episode. And it explains why he wouldn't have just kidnapped her earlier, even if he knew all about her, as he claimed. I dunno. Just a thought.

By the way, Raven's skin is looking awfully gray this season. She wasn't gray before, was she? Or am I just forgetting?

Schwartzvald

Schwartzvald

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 2:23 PM

Yes, Raven's always been rather gray. I liked "Terra" as well, and I hope she (and Slade) show up again. However, I would also like to see someone other than Slade fighting the Titans. Maybe they could take on political corruption (*cough*George Bush*coughcough*) or something?

Edited by Schwartzvald, Jan 26, 2004 @ 2:28 PM.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

Well, I saw Slade for the first time, in the episode with Terra. He's not that annoying. He seems like your run-of-the-mill average villain to me. He's nothing original, but he's not unbearable IMO. I might be a bit biased towards him, though, because I like his voice. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing him in more episodes.