PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

And hiding behind the tent pole.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

And the kiss that Hawkeye gave Margaret just as they were about to drive off. Lovely.

And:

BJ: I haven't giggled since my wedding night.

Edited by Sarcastico, Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Yesterday, they showed the one where Hawkeye and Col Potter go to the Korean aid station. On the way back to camp, Col Potter finds a canteen of booze that Klinger sent along. As they're driving along getting drunk, suddenly they get caught in shelling, and have to stop and hide in a bunker.
When the shooting is over, they peek out and see that there is a American patrol coming, and climb out of the bunker. The Sgt in charge of the patrol asks what they're doing there, and Hawkeye says they're looking for broads, as he looks in the bushes. The Sgt says "You're not going to find any there, Captain." How did the Sgt know Hawkeye was a Captain? He wasn't wearing any visible rank, unlike Col Potter, who had the Eagle on his helmet.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Good catch, OSM Mom. Maybe he knew he was a doctor, and all medical professionals came in at Captain or above? I got nothing.

MASH does drunk good. Heavy drinking is not funny, per se, but they are always quite funny.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I am fairly certain that no surgeon was brought in as a non-comm. (Although in that case, why not "Major"?) Best guess? a goof. Maybe when they wrote it, Hawkeye was meant to be wearing his uniform, hat, etc.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Maybe nurses came in as Lieutenants and doctors had to be ranked higher so they came in as Captains?

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Hey, we're gearing up to start a 70's sitcom survival game over in the Rec Room, if anyone's interested.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I'm looking for the name of an episode.

The basic plot: Hawkeye needed something or other and couldn't get it. Klinger could get it but Klinger wanted fabric for a dress and couldn't get that so he says to Hawkeye, "Get me my fabric and I'll get you the thingamawhosit you want." And this little dynamic plays out over and over. Hot Lips can get Kilinger's fabric, but she needs something, so Hawkeye goes looking for Margaret's item and this goes on and on and on.

Does anyone remember how the episode ultimately ended?

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Noregrets, there are actually two episodes like that. The first one is "For Want of a Boot," when Hawkeye needs new boots. That's a season 2 episode.

There's also one in season 4 called "The Price of Tomato Juice," where the chain of favors is started by Radar, who wants to get tomato juice for Col. Potter.

In "For Want of a Boot," the favors unravel at the end (starting with Frank, I believe), and Hawkeye doesn't get his new boots.

In "The Price of Tomato Juice," they do get the tomato juice after the whole string of favors, but it turns out that Col. Potter is allergic to it. (Belated spoiler alert!)

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

rubaco, I am impressed. I thought I described everything so badly no one would know what I was talking about.

Thank you very much.

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

TVLAND was doing a MASH marathon today for Memorial Day. They were showing the episodes that had people writing, or in Charles' case recording, letters home and some of the Mail Call episodes. It was fun! They had a nice mix of early and late season episodes. I started watching with the one where Hawkeye goes into a foxhole dressed as Santa. They included "Dear Comrade" where Charles hires the Chinese spy as a houseboy and he gives them the remedy for a rash the soldiers were getting.

Funnily, 2 of the episodes had people worried about their marriages--the one where Frank's wife wants a divorce cause she found out about Margaret, and the episode where Klinger's wife cheats on him, which includes BJ being afraid that Peg didn't need him anymore. I love the part in that one where BJ calls Peg and Radar, Colonel Potter and Father Mucalhy are waiting for her to answer that she does need him.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

In "For Want of a Boot," the favors unravel at the end (starting with Frank, I believe), and Hawkeye doesn't get his new boots.

IIRC, it unraveled when Margaret wanted Hawkeye to give Frank a birthday party, which they did begrudgingly. Frank was supposed to want to do something for them, but when he found out the party was a kiss-up for a favor, he refused, which caused someone to take the birthday cake, and so on, like dominoes.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

The woman actually killed her baby, and Hawkeye's mind recalled it as a chicken to make it seem less horrible.

Yeah, that scene was horrific. IIRC the enemy was nearby and the poor woman was forced to put her hand over her baby's mouth to keep it from crying. She ended up suffocating the baby.

Edited by getawayjordan, May 28, 2012 @ 7:42 AM.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

They were showing the episodes that had people writing, or in Charles' case recording, letters home and some of the Mail Call episodes.

It was a great idea for a Memorial Day marathon. I think over the course of 11 seasons, the show should have done more "Mail Call" episodes -- they were always so good and a natural way of exploring multiple storylines.

Frank was supposed to want to do something for them, but when he found out the party was a kiss-up for a favor, he refused, which caused someone to take the birthday cake

It's all coming back to me now, AtlanticVamp. Frank was supposed to sign Klinger's psycho-discharge papers (there always had to be 3 doctors signing, which the poor guy could never seem to manage), but yeah, he refused and Radar took away the birthday cake in a huff.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

One thing I remember from the "Dear Comrade" episode was the spy saying "They have food in abundance, but they complain about its quality." I always wondered about that - how bad was the food, exactly? (In the real army camps, I mean, not the TV show set.) I seem to remember Klinger saying "They paint OVER the cockroaches" (in the kitchen), so I'm thinking that the answer is "pretty bad".

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

The "Dear Comrade" episode is one of my favorites.

I also like the episode where Charles said he would not talk to anyone and the nothing to read episode (Charles gets newspapers sent to him and the rest of the camp wants to read the newspapers too.)

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I like any episodes involving food. They make the normal mess sound so awful, so when they get any special food it's a huge treat. The fresh eggs, Adam's Ribs, the fresh vegetables from the kid who needs glasses, and one of my favorites, the one with Ed Begley Jr. as Corporal Conway, who's a klutz on the battlefield but a genius in the kitchen, turning the normally awful stuff they get into wonderful preparations (Powdered Eggs Benedict, Spam Parmesan).

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

And the creation that Klinger made from the recipe that Conway taught him...Goat ala King. I'm full, thanks. They were always talking about how they never had any fresh fruit and vegetables to speak of, and in the episode "A Full Rich Day", when Hawkeye is trying to get the Turkish soldier to let them fix his shoulder, and is in the kitchen, there is a head of nice looking lettuce that the Turk chops in half, and another episode (I think..might be the same one...) there's a bowl of nice looking oranges that get thrown. And the one where Hawkeye and BJ get the tub, Hawkeye gets a serving of brown lettuce, and asks "Am I supposed to eat this or smoke it?" And as he walks off, either Igor or Kinger, whoever's serving, yells "You want green, try the liver!"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I like any episodes involving food.

We want something else! We want something else!
I've eaten a river of liver & an ocean of fish.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I also like the pay day episodes.

The one where BJ gets a $200.00 loan from Charles for a down payment for a piece of land and they end up playing poker is really good.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Ed Begley Jr. as Corporal Conway, who's a klutz on the battlefield but a genius in the kitchen, turning the normally awful stuff they get into wonderful preparations (Powdered Eggs Benedict, Spam Parmesan).

Aw, Klinger's triumphant goat à la King gets no love.

I love the line about how Conway made duck à l'orange, with no duck.
"And no l'orange."

MASH does drunk good. Heavy drinking is not funny, per se, but they are always quite funny.

For some reason, I've had Hawkeye's line about "Clara Bow? Frank's right; you ARE old!" in my head all week. I think that's from the episode where Potter and Hawkeye go to the aid station and get soused on Klinger's canteen of booze. I think it's also that episode that has the exchange

"I think my life is about to pass before my eyes."
"Let me know when it does. I love a parade."

I flove Harry Morgan's delivery of that line.

Edited by Sandman, May 29, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Ed Begley Jr. as Corporal Conway, who's a klutz on the battlefield but a genius in the kitchen, turning the normally awful stuff they get into wonderful preparations (Powdered Eggs Benedict, Spam Parmesan).

Winchester (almost genuflecting before Conway): "Sir, if this were a civilized country, you...would be KING."

A very hungover Hawkeye: "Now I know why prisoners are shot at dawn. Who wants to live at 5:30 in the morning?"

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

"My kidneys were expecting orange juice." [takes a swig of proffered martini] "Silly kidneys!"

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

the nothing to read episode

I don't remember it involving Charles and newspapers but a mystery novel that BJ received. The whole camp was fascinated by it--passing around torn out pages so that everyone could read at once--and then they got to the end and the page announcing whodunit was missing. They phoned the author, but her answer didn't make sense.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

They phoned the author, but her answer didn't make sense.

Well the poor woman was in her 90s, after all. I love that the episode writer clearly had a field day with his made-up mystery novel. The murder victims included 2 pigs and a canary.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Charles and newspapers was because the camp hadn't gotten mail for a long time, but since Charles had received all the newspapers for whatever period of time as one big package, he saved them and read one each and every day.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

For some reason, I've had Hawkeye's line about "Clara Bow? Frank's right; you ARE old!" in my head all week. I think that's from the episode where Potter and Hawkeye go to the aid station and get soused on Klinger's canteen of booze.

Yes it is.

HAWKEYE: We're Americans, just like you. Apple pie. Betty Grable.
POTTER: Clara Bow.
HAWKEYE: Clara Bow? Frank's right; you are old.

SOLDIER: What are you doing up here?
HAWKEYE: Looking for broads.

"Broad" is such a wonderful, evocative old word; thank heavens this show keeps it alive. Granny Sarcastico was a real broad, you know.

Edited by Sarcastico, May 30, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

They phoned the author, but her answer didn't make sense.

Well the poor woman was in her 90s, after all. I love that the episode writer clearly had a field day with his made-up mystery novel. The murder victims included 2 pigs and a canary.

Am the only one who ever Googled "The Rooster Crowed at Midnight" or "Abigail Porterfield" only to be disappointed that neither actually existed?

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

I like any episodes involving food. They make the normal mess sound so awful, so when they get any special food it's a huge treat. The fresh eggs, Adam's Ribs, the fresh vegetables from the kid who needs glasses, and one of my favorites, the one with Ed Begley Jr. as Corporal Conway, who's a klutz on the battlefield but a genius in the kitchen, turning the normally awful stuff they get into wonderful preparations (Powdered Eggs Benedict, Spam Parmesan).

Or when Father Mulcahy spent months lovingly raising ears of corn looking forward to feasting on it, and Igor ended up making creamed corn out of it:

"You CREAMED it, you, you . . . NINNY!"

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Well, FINE! Next time, you can just eat it off the cob!