TWoP Media Sightings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2025 replies to this topic

Lingo

Lingo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:52 PM

Why does MSNBC torture me so? Now I can't even see the text of their articles anymore. I wish these articles weren't on a site that sucks so much.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:33 PM

Lingo, did you scroll all the way over the right of the page? I thought that there was something wrong, too, since my browser showed a blank white page even when it was "done" loading, and it turns out to be that some webwhiz at MSNBC has made the pages twice as wide as they used to be and the articles are all the way on the right in a narrow column.

Great article, Sars.

Edited by Rabrab, Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:37 PM.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

Thanks again dudes for giving us a heads up and links to radio interviews.

marije

marije

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:02 PM

What a great interview. I didn't know about the whole Aaron Sorkin bruhaha -- is his response still on the site?

The Meet Market thread in The West Wing forum talked about it a week or so ago. Someone found Aaron's responses in the Web Archive.

Lariet

Lariet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

I just finished reading Meg Cabot's brand-new (non-Princess Diaries) novel, Boy Meets Girl, and there's a TWoP mention in the book!

For those only familiar with her teen books, this is Meg Cabot's third contemporary novel for adults. And if she's a TWoP visitor: You rock, Meg!

I'd have posted the passage with the mention, but I wasn't sure it would be cool. If the powers-that-be say it's cool, I'll post it.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:20 PM

Neat! I think a short excerpt is okay.

Lanarian

Lanarian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Cool! I'd love to read it.

Edited by Lanarian, Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:22 PM.

Lariet

Lariet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:26 PM

Your wish, my command.

The context is a memo sent out regarding company Internet policies:

Acceptable Uses of the Internet
Employees accessing the Internet are representing the Journal. All communications should be professional. Reading reality-show recaps on Televisionwithoutpity.com is not a professional use of the Internet. Ditto rating people on hotornot.com.

Heh. I had to post it. It's a funny book, if anyone's interested.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:31 PM

Ha ha. Shit, if people actually enforced stuff like that we'd be out of business.

Meg20

Meg20

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:37 PM

Very cool indeed. Especially since Meggin Cabot is the only other person I know of with the same name spelling as me. So, Hi Meggin!

lilxprincess

lilxprincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:05 PM

Not sure if this is exactly media, but TWoP has been nominated as a lovemark.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:51 AM

Love the lovemark - have never seen that graphic before.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, Damages, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Project Runway, Wonderfalls

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:01 AM

It's a funny graphic to use. Poor Tubey: his moment in the sun, and he got passed over for fishcakes. As I write, TWoP is #15 -- woo! Above The New Yorker, Winnie the Pooh, and U2, but trailing Absolut Vodka and Sesame Street. Heh.

Edited by corgi-ears, Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:02 AM.

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:14 AM

Employees accessing the Internet are representing the Journal. All communications should be professional. Reading reality-show recaps on Televisionwithoutpity.com is not a professional use of the Internet.

Hee! But which Journal? I assume if nothing is said otherwise, the WSJ. At least they only said "realilty shows." If they catch somebody reading a recap of Charmed, Tru Calling, or other shows of similar ilk they can't complain, right?

Again, Hee!

Groovy Girl

Groovy Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:44 AM

TWoP is currently #8 in the Lovemark rankings.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

Hee! But which Journal?

According to the Publishers Weekly review, it's the New York Journal. No doubt the Internet policy was written by William Randolph Hearst himself.

By the way, Lariet, where'd you get your copy? According to amazon.com, Boy Meets Girl won't be released until tomorrow.

eenie

eenie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

There was a little TWoP blurb in my paper this morning, in the 411 info on what's hot section.
It's not on the Post Tribune website, so would it be okay to post a little bit here? (if anyone is interested, that is.)

Lariet

Lariet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:04 PM

Yeah, Boy Meets Girl isn't supposed to be released until tomorrow, but one of the local bookstores is run by monkeys, and doesn't understand the concept of on-sale dates.

triggerhappyjack

triggerhappyjack

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

I went to vote and we're up to number 3 at Lovemarks. I feel like a Clay Aiken fan.

gabbagoolia

gabbagoolia

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:37 PM

There was a little TWoP blurb in my paper this morning, in the 411 info on what's hot section.
It's not on the Post Tribune website, so would it be okay to post a little bit here? (if anyone is interested, that is.)

There was a blurb today in the Boston Herald (which is ordinarily a terrible, gerbil-cage-liner quality paper) about TWoP... perhaps the 'What's Hot' section is syndicated? Or is TWoP just an international sensation?

eenie

eenie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:42 PM

There was a blurb today in the Boston Herald (which is ordinarily a terrible, gerbil-cage-liner quality paper) about TWoP... perhaps the 'What's Hot' section is syndicated? Or is TWoP just an international sensation?

I would say that both are possible, but I'm going to guess that it's syndicated...which is great, because then more people will share in the snark.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

In the Meg Cabot realm of TWoP worship- she has a blog over at her website and in the second to last entry (where she answers readers questions) she mentions Pamie from TWoP and how she is reading her book.

I love Meg Cabot. If anyone hasn't read Boy Next Door, they need to pick it up. I can't wait until Boy Meets Girl arrives in the mail, I'm literally stewing with anticipation.

Edited by StarryDreamer, Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:14 PM.

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:28 PM

TWoP was mentioned in Augusta Chronicle's Teen Extreme section today. It was in the corner about cool websites to visit.
I forgot, I have a alternative method for taping Sars or anybody's next radio appearance:
Get one of those cables that have one end at a 3.5mm headphone jack, the other end terminates as a RCA audio jack. (Mine was about five bucks.) Plug it into the cheap radio you place near the VCR, not so close that you get hash-type interference. Tune it to the station you want. Plug the RCA cable end into the audio in portion of your VCR. (If it's mono, just experiment.) Turn VCR to Line-in channel. You will see (probably) a blue screen and your radio station playing through the TV. Set the VCR to record the time period that (NPR or whatever) is on. Whenever you get the chance, rewind and enjoy!! On my VCR I can't see the timer log on the screen as there's no video, just a black screen, but still, pretty good.

Edited to add the quasi-MacGuyver stuff.

Edited by DoctorNeon, Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:36 PM.

Mary

Mary

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

Sars's latest on MSNBC.

ray18125

ray18125

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:47 PM

TWOP is listed among The Best TV Sites On The Web at Yahoo because of its

Snide and sarcastic reviews of all the most popular shows. Contributors exhibit a love/hate relationship with the shows they hate to love.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

Heh. I think they might be biased on that one.

kju

kju

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

Biased, but accurate.

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:25 AM

Uh oh! Call the internet ombudsman, we have a conflict of interest!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

Ombudsman. Heh.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

Wing, I actually had an argument with a mouth-breather over whether or not "Ombudsman" was a real word.