6-23 & 24: "All Good Things... / ...Must Come to an End" 2003.05.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

380 replies to this topic

confabulous

confabulous

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

Also wondering how come Audrey wasn't there? Schedule conflict with Busy Philipps?

I doubt it was a scheduling issue since it was filmed as part of the regular season six schedule and I assume Busy was still under contract for that.

I just think the idea of the finale was to bring it all back to the series' beginning, coming full circle, going back to Capeside. It would have been a HUGE stretch to have there in town as an invited guest to the wedding, especially five years after the fact. And if Andie had completely lost all her relevance to have her scenes cut from the finale, there was really nothing at all for Audrey to contribute.

The brief mention of her once at the Icehouse table scene seemed fitting and appropriate considering that college was all long behind them, actually one of the few realistic approaches the writers ever took with her character. He-heh.

Edited by confabulous, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:36 AM.

GinaSand

GinaSand

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2008 @ 3:04 AM

actually one of the few realistic approaches the writers ever took with her character

I had considered this, and do think it was better than having her there randomly, but it's like, why start being realistic now? :) Oh well.

Edited by GinaSand, Oct 25, 2008 @ 12:26 PM.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 2:44 AM

I thought I read somewhere that since Audrey wasn't part of the Dawson's Creek that Kevin Williamson created and wrote for, he didn't want her in his script for the finale, and hence why Andie actually had some scenes in the original treatment.

I'm still amazed that it's been 5 years since this show finished.

cloel

cloel

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

Hello,

I'm french and I have a little question.

Finally, why did they stop ? Some series last 10 years, 15 years... Why not this one ? Did they explain it ?

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

Is there somewhere I can (legally) watch the version of the finale that was televised? I have the extended version on my DVD, but I want to see what it was like without the deleted scenes.

cloel

cloel

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2008 @ 3:54 AM

Yes that would be great. Because it seems that they removed a lot between the 2 versions...

emilyschild

emilyschild

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2008 @ 8:57 AM

I don't know where you would find it, other than on the cable station presently showing the series. I think they are showing season 6 at the moment (well they were recently).

I still don't understand why they would put out two versions. Obviously the one shown on the TV is the one they wanted to be the finale. Releasing an alternate with all the deleted scenes, to me, muddies what the finale was intended to be.

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

They should have made the deleted scenes optional. Not that I didn't squeal like a little girl when Andie popped up.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:02 AM

I thought they show the eps as seen on TV in the Season 6 set? Am I not remembering this right?

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:56 AM

My set is region 2. It might be different on region 1.

colormeblue

colormeblue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

While I did enjoy the finale when it first aired, I was only coming to it as a very occasional DC watcher and didnít truly have a grasp on all the backstories. Now that Iíve become more of a fan (only 5 years too late), I know a hell of a lot more about the show and am saddened by what they did and didnít do in the finale.

One of my gripes is, of course, having them kill off Jen. So very unnecessary and while I agree that MW acted her heart out and had some great scenes, particularly with Kerr Smith, they could have done something else to tie it all together. Other posters have suggested great ideas and I bow to them on that.

My major gripes are with how the P/J love story played out. It didnít seem like any of them had done any character growth at all. Dawson was still narcissistic, Joey was still spineless and reactive, Pacey was still self-defeating and the 3 of them were still doing their stupid dance. Why in the world did they revisit the triangle when even the writers admitted via Joeyís declaration that there never truly was a triangle that it was non-existent? Why not do something new and different? I donít know what they could have done with Dawson (his storylines were always so boring anyway, so maybe downplay his involvement?) but why not have flip the plot devices and have Pacey be the one in a loving, committed relationship that was headed toward marriage and Joey be single and questioning her choice of career? That could lead toward Jen encouraging Joey to not only decide what she wants but actually do something about it. Then, in a radical departure from post S1 Joey, she could actually be proactive for once and fight for Pacey? The other part of that is that I was pissed that I got so little of the reunion between P/J. Sure, I know that TPTB wanted to leave viewers guessing until the very end (which was stupid since we really werenít) but they could have ended it in a much more satisfying way. Why not bring it back around and, in my fantasy scenario where Joey fought for Pacey, have him make the decision to be with her and ask her to sail away on his boat? That would have been not only extremely romantic but have the added benefit of continuity. In short, I wanted more of a payoff for those two and I didnít get it! Grrr!!!

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2009 @ 1:09 PM

It did seem that the P/J reunion got short-changed a bit as they were so determined to leave us guessing right up until the end. But at the same time I believe the finale actually got incredibly good ratings at the time, so playing the triangle was a choice that worked for them as a lot of people who hadn't even watched in years tuned in to see if it was going to be D/J or P/J, as well as curiosity over which character was getting killed off which I believe the trailers also heavily promoted

floatyhead

floatyhead

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

I donít know what they could have done with Dawson

I was always curious of what it would be like if he were the one to have died.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2009 @ 7:10 AM

There would have been a big celebration. Just kidding! Although I'm glad it wasn't him. The way they treated when he was alive could be pretty unbearable I'd hate to see how the writers would have treated his death.

But they probably wanted to avoid the Joey only picked Pacey because Dawson died arguments that probably would have ensued. Not that the way it was done ended the triangle for some people. I'm sure there are still DJ fans out there who are convinced that Joey ran back to Dawson the moment the screen faded to black.

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

(snip)

Edited by cecilia jane, Jun 7, 2009 @ 7:01 PM.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2009 @ 5:06 AM

My point still stands though. I don't think it really mattered by that point how they writers had her make her choice because I think in the end people were always going to see what they want to see. I do think at the end of the day in the shows mind, at least, the issue was settled and she chose Pacey and they were all fine with that. Whether they did a good job or not, whether Joey should have been more definitive about the fact that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with Pacey is another issue, but to be honest even if she had said 'I chose Pacey forever and ever and only ever want to be with him' and we'd seen them get married and them actually living together forever there would still be fans out there who'd say she didn' really mean it.

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2009 @ 8:39 AM

(snip)

Edited by cecilia jane, Jun 7, 2009 @ 7:01 PM.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2009 @ 2:31 AM

I just don't buy that Joey would've gone back to Dawson once she chose Pacey. That entire scene in the kitchen where she tells Pacey to not let her off the hook from running confirms that for me.

cecilia jane

cecilia jane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

(snip)

Edited by cecilia jane, Jun 7, 2009 @ 7:02 PM.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

It was Pacey's insecurity that originally broke them up in the Prom though, there was every indication that Joey was still happy in the relationship up until then. Joey spend three months at sea with Pacey, and almost an entire school year in a relationship after that, with no sign that she felt something was missing and she needed to "find herself". She was still all over him and very much in love just a few episodes before the Prom break-up. And she was again all over him in their season 6 reunion, at least until she want back to a high school Prom with him, which brought back all of those memories which Joey admitted to running away from in the finale. I think that they would have had a shot at making it work after the finale as I never doubted that they were deeply in love when they got past their insecurity issues. And considering that Pacey actually seemed genuinally excited at their calling Dawson to congratulate him in the final scene, I got the sense things were more stable for them by then.

When they weren't arguing over Dawson, they actually were pretty happy with one another for most of season 4, and I never saw any sign that Joey regretted picking Pacey, or still saw Dawson as a viable romantic option. It was really Coda that pushed that on the audience out of the blue, seasons 3 and 4 had all been about Joey outgrowing Dawson and realising her romantic feelings for him were in the past, but still wanting to hang to their childhood friendship. And with seasons 5 and 6, it could easily be argued that she was only kissing Dawson again after Pacey broke her heart and he was the safer option. Even Dawson called her on the fact that she was always pretty half-hearted about an actual relationship with him, and coming up with reasons not to truly commit. Really her rushing into kissing Dawson right after she and Pacey split up, and she spend time reminiscing over her happy childhood with Dawson, just points to her using Dawson as the safe option that she could use to run away from/downplay her feelings for Pacey

Edited by Frelling Tralk, Mar 10, 2009 @ 12:41 PM.

Rosemeade

Rosemeade

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2009 @ 3:34 AM

I too only watched DC occasionally when it originally aired (I recently watched it all on DVD a year ago), but I remember tuning in for the finale expecting a Dawson/Joey ending and being pleasantly shocked that it ended with Pacey/Joey. It's pretty unusual for a show that had so obviously planned a particular couple as its end pairing, to instead go against that. It was interesting to listen to KW's commentary on the Series Finale DVD as to how he changed his mind from DJ to PJ and I give him credit for not going with the status quo if it didn't feel right.

As for people not accepting the ending as final, that's not very logical. I was a Felicity/Noel fan, but accepted, even if I didn't like it, that she ended up with Ben. That's just series finale etiquette, otherwise it's a moot speculation. Of course, there's always fan fic, but the show itself ends the way the writers write it, IMO.

I agree that it would have been nice to see Joey as a more decisively minded woman 5 years into the future and I could have done without the Pacey/married woman storyline and Jen dying. I don't believe there was a true romantic triangle either, even in S/3 and S/4. I think Joey loved Pacey, but still had the bad habit of being dependent on and confused about Dawson's friendship and approval. She did give Pacey a reason to be unsure of her feelings though as evidenced throughout S/4, and the beginning of S/5 as she pursued a romantic relationship with Dawson even though she'd claimed not to feel that way about him anymore.

But I felt that it was clear enough that Joey did not want Dawson in a romantic sense in the finale, she just didn't want to go through the angst of being direct with him about it. I think the problem with this show was that people talked a lot, but rarely said exactly what they meant. Hence the two innocence/soulmate conversations with Dawson that did put the romance to rest in favor of friendship. They were convoluted, sure, but got the job done. But her "I don't want to be off the hook" speech to Pacey was pretty direct for Joey.