Spoilers: Season 12 and earlier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6320 replies to this topic

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 7:31 AM

MAJOR bump, and a hijacking, for TAR 5 spoilers, if that's OK with Miss Alli. (It seemed to make more sense than starting a new thread.)

We have our first location sighting report of the TAR 5 production. Although the subject line refers to the flags, the post, made as a follow-up in the same thread, clearly refers to the racers. Timing does seem to be about right for the final legs, if they started the run in early- to mid-January

Newsgroups: alt.tv.amazing-race
Subject: Re: Look for the red and orange flags
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:39:25 GMT

They were recently seen in downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada racing up the steps of the Old Court House, now the Art Gallery, where they were given a clue to head to Whistler.  Not sure how long ago they were seen but it was very clear who they were and what they were doing.  It was reported on a local radio station on Monday morning.

Kel

So, any Vancouverites out there who can confirm or deny, or who want to check with the "local radio station(s)"?

Edited by Rabrab, Jan 22, 2004 @ 7:31 AM.

The Australian

The Australian

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Hang on a minute...red and orange flags???

Both aesthetically and literally that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. It's like putting royal and navy blue together on something and hoping they'll look as different as night and day.

The timing's way off as well if you truly mean "the final legs". The earliest a winter race ever started was 6 January 2002, the first day of TAR2. That race finished on Superbowl Sunday, 3 February. And TAR4 didn't commence until 18 January 2003, and finished on Valentine's Day as we know.

Therefore if this was on Monday near the end, the race would have to have started on around 23 or 24 December. Hard as I try, I just cannot see that as being viable for the producers, especially considering what air traffic is like at Christmas!

I can see Vancouver as being a possible stop near the start of the race, but as a number of posters have suggested somewhere in Quebec I find that more plausible unless they've begun on the West Coast again - deep freeze or no!

However, it's certainly nice to have this thread back again for the filming period. Whether or not any of the tales told here have legs or not, I agree with the above comment that TAR is one of the least-spoiled shows around...and how paradoxical is that?

motylik

motylik

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

It may be this company running it instead of TAR:
http://www.canadiano...amazingrace.htm

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:09 AM

Well, like I said, the Subject: line was a hold-over from a much earlier post, so I'm not attaching a lot of weight to the fact that the colors are wrong.

As for the timing, the Monday before the posting date was the nineteenth of January...hold on. Why did I think that it was February already? Gah. I'm dumb. Or it was wishful thinking. Take your pick.

OK, how's this: Maybe they started in Seattle and decided to throw a bone to all the folks who've said "Why no Canada? We want Canada!"? and send them across the North American continent through Canada rather than letting them do that simple LAX to NYC jaunt that's such a piece of cake?

Frankly, as long as they are doing Jan/Feb runs, I expect we'll see them starting from the West Coast (or the South). The weather around that time of year in the Upper Midwest and Eastern Seaboard is just too unpredictable for them to risk a delay at the very start; that could throw the whole schedule back a couple of days.

WeezerTAR4

WeezerTAR4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

Here's a wicked spoiler that I've shamelessly copy/pasted from www.weezerandgeezer.com

So the Geezer came through for us. He was at the Doctor's office getting a checkup because that's what old guys do when the Dr. started asking about the show. Apparently a father and a daughter from the Santa Barbara area were in there getting physicals for "A reality show" and apparently when they went back for a second visit they told the doctor that they had not been chosen.
Personally I don't buy it. If you get sent back to the doctor for a second visit it's because you've been cast.
So either the doctor was full of shit, or you can expect to see a father/daughter combo on AR5.

Edited only because you can apparently do spoilers inside quotes, but not vice-versa. Who knew? Just solving the mystery of why the quote tags weren't working, which was bothering me.

Edited by Miss Alli, Jan 22, 2004 @ 5:03 PM.

DariaG

DariaG

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 1:29 PM

That would make me very happy, Weezer. Props to your old man.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 2:17 PM

motylik that is a neat organization you pointed at; I almost wish I was up in that area to take part in one of them. And they have a toll-free number on the bottom of the page, so I called, explained, and flat-out asked whether they had been running one this last weekend. Dave, sounding somewhat bemused by the question, said, and I quote: "No, we were not."

It may have legs.

And, very nice work, Geezer. Thanks for throwing us that crumb, Weezer.

Somehow spoilers make an airdate seem so much closer...

WeezerTAR4

WeezerTAR4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 4:41 PM

I was just as excited to hear it as you guys.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 5:46 PM

Let's do a quick review of TAR 4 spoilers.
Early on, there was the Toronto area spoiler. Proved to be untrue. And came from someone posting it on message boards.
During the filming period two spoilers emerged from the press. One, of the Racers in India that was correct on all fronts, and one that the final Racers were in Hawaii, which also proved to be correct. One additional non-English language spoiler later emerged from the Netherlands, in Dutch, which included photographs from a Dutch newspaper.

I tend to be very skeptical on message board origin spoilers, especially on TAR.
And as to the Vancouver spoiler, just remember that in 6 years (in 2010), Vancouver will host the Olympic Winter Games. So that could explain the activity that was see just as well.

MissLucyGoosey

MissLucyGoosey

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

Not sure if I"m allowed to post this here, but I'm so excited about that Canadian Outback company that does a Faux-mazing Race! I'm desperate to do it, I'm trying to rally a few friends. But we're in SF, so it doesn't seem like so long a trip.

Venices Bitch

Venices Bitch

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:03 PM

While in sequester, there was some trickeration going on, and some people were accessing things they weren't supposed to access and other such against-the-rule things were going on. Anyway, we were following what spoilers were out there and we were blown away that India had been spoiled already. We laughed at the other shit. And some of us helped blow some of the bad ones out of proportion on various message boards (once we got back). The speculation is fun and funny. But take a lot of it with a grain of salt. Like this Canadian one. In my opinion (I have nothing from the inside to back this up), I think the race either started this week or will be starting damn soon, like within the next week. And I don't think they're going to Canada because Bert knows, like me, that you cannot trust those sneaky Canadians.

lofty ideas

lofty ideas

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

[ot]Yeah, that company sounds interesting - I wonder if they're protected from copyright infringement because they're in Canada? It's pretty blatant - they copied the graphics and everything.[/ot]

I'm with theschnauzers - history does not favor that spoiler.

The Australian

The Australian

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:45 AM

With regard to WeezerTAR4's little tidbit (and by extension, Geezer's!) - surely if you were going through your medical checkups and innoculations in preparation for being on the show, the producers would mandate a specific person or people?

It just strikes me as odd that you'd simply pop into your local GP for such a thing, even if you were being deliberately vague about your intentions.

If it does turn out to be correct, though, all I can say is...about bloomin' time!

Edited by The Australian, Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:46 AM.

SttrayCat

SttrayCat

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 4:46 AM

Thanks, Josh, for the father/daughter possibility. I really wish they would have two parent/kid teams. I think the dynamics would be better.

I agree that the Canada thing doesn't seem likely. Do an "Amazing Race" google sometime and see how many Canadian local "amazing races" there are. It's scary. It's like if the Canadians aren't allowed on the show they will, damn it, fight back and create dozens of their own "mini-amazings" so take that JB, Moonves et al! Hah!

And I agree with Chris. The Race is either on right now or there are some people huddled in a hotel somewhere hours away from finding out the world is waiting for them too. Getting chills just thinking about it.

Edited by SttrayCat, Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:43 PM.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 5:38 AM

the schnauzers, don't forget that the Kota Kinabalu sighting came from Usenet first, too. The description of one person was off (no dark-framed glasses) but aside from that it was solid.

And I can see that you'd be allowed to use your own doctor for the medical checks. (S)he's already got all your records and history.

WeezerTAR4

WeezerTAR4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

And some of us helped blow some of the bad ones out of proportion on various message boards (once we got back).

I remember doing that, and talking mad trash about you and me.

With regard to WeezerTAR4's little tidbit (and by extension, Geezer's!) - surely if you were going through your medical checkups and innoculations in preparation for being on the show, the producers would mandate a specific person or people?

They have a Dr on staff, but for the majority of the stuff (immunizations, physicals etc) we went to our own Dr. It'd be too much of a hassle for them to assign specific doctors to people all over the nation.

As far as the show filming, I've had it confirmed from two seperate sources that it started this week.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

Which would make sense that filming did because Monday was a federal holiday in the US, and thus, lighter traffic, etc., to the first airport. (Fewer people, therefore fewer chances of being photographed at the airport. Although that didn't work the last time at LAX.)

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 1:16 PM

Aaack! Vancouver sighting shot down in flames by the original poster.

Oops, Dad's sitting here.  It was CKNW but it was Rick Forchuck who said it, not Frosty or Johnny/Jimmy/Joe Hollywood.  And supposedly this happened in the Fall (he's just telling me this now) ...

Edited by Rabrab, Jan 23, 2004 @ 1:16 PM.

Corbybond

Corbybond

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 5:38 PM

I don't know if anyone has already said this, but the Amazing Racers have been spotted running around Vancouver, BC recently. I'm just so happy to think another season is on its way. I love this show so much!

Venices Bitch

Venices Bitch

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

Psssst...Corbybond...look at the post right above yours dude.

Red Targetter

Red Targetter

Couch Potato

• Interests:Oh no! Everything?<br /><br />Twitter: GinnyRED57

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:29 PM

Man, Vancouver is going to be the little city who cried wolf of TAR if this keeps up. What to believe? What's the real skinny? Augh!

Venices Bitch

Venices Bitch

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:47 PM

I'd be willing to bet Josh's left testicle that Vancouver will not be a location on the Race.

SttrayCat

SttrayCat

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Vancouver popped up all the time last season too. Those guys have to stop with their clone mini-races. They are a threat to humanity I tell ya!

ToniW

ToniW

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 10:32 PM

I was about to say the same thing SttrayCat. I remember all the reports of racers being seen around Canada before the starts of TAR's 3&4. The mini-races are meant to either throw us off the trail or build up our excitement. As if we aren't excited enough!

europa1057

europa1057

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

Heck, CBS probably encourages those AR rip-off Canadian races. They like to see us squirm as we try to figure out the real cities vs. the Canadian cities who cry wolf (tm Red Targetter).

Frenchteacher

Frenchteacher

Fanatic

• Interests:Amazing Race, Survivor, Jeopardy, country music &amp; dancing, CMT, GAC, travel, languages

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 6:37 PM

Watch Vancouver become the city that cried wolf. Sure, now it's a decoy, but for TAR8 (you know, because there WILL be one) it'll probably be the first destination, and none of us will believe it.

Escapade

Escapade

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:55 AM

Vancouver popped up all the time last season too. Those guys have to stop with their clone mini-races. They are a threat to humanity I tell ya!

hehe. That's because we are feeling so ignored. Come on... come to YVR already!

AngelOfMusic

AngelOfMusic

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 5:47 AM

Yeah! Come to Vancouver, allow Canadians to enter the race and watch me win due to that slightly unfair advantage of knowing my hometown! *grin*

WeezerTAR4

WeezerTAR4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 8:49 AM

Yeah! Come to Vancouver, allow Canadians to enter the race and watch me win due to that slightly unfair advantage of knowing my hometown! *grin*

It didn't work for me.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

When I took the train from Philly to NY last Thursday there were big TAR shades of red and yellow banners (no lettering or pictures, like Philly typically has on it's street banners) outside the entrance to the Zoo. I didn't have a good enough look to see if there was any activity (trucks, vans, etc.) that might suggest amazingness. But I did get that little heart bump of excited surprise and hope.

I'm sure they weren't here. And yet, we are such a TV/film production center now, with two series filming entirely here and movies here all of the time, that it would be a relatively easy thing for them to start here.

I wouldn't put it past them to stage false starts in multiple cities, though.