Arthur: The Most Entertaining Aardvark

• Please log in to reply

1288 replies to this topic

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

I watched the show where Arthur made fun of Sue Ellen's sweater.

I haven't watched the show in a while, but that seems very out of character for him.

Bri059

Bri059

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Arthur went a little overboard in teasing Sue Ellen. Pasting a dog head on her body?! Come on, that's a little much. I did like the episode "The Last Tough Customer" showing Molly and bullying. I love Molly. 

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

I love Molly.

Me too!  I loved this new week of episodes if only for the fact that not one of them centered on D.W. or Kate/Pal.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 2:45 AM

Has Ladonna been shown at all since her introductory episode?  I haven't seen all of the new season yet but in the ones I have seen, no sight of her.  Not that I miss her, but it seems weird to go through all that to set up a new character for a rehash of a Muffy episode we had in one of the first seasons only to have her disapper.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

"
She was recently in an episode where Fern was dealing with writer's block for a short story contest hosted by Muffy. She heard some of Ladonna's stories and took them/used her ideas as her own so she was one of the main characters in that story. 

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I'm sorry that I missed a Fern episode!  They're usually my favorites.  I still, however, hate the new animation with a passion. 

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

It was a pretty good episode imho, probably one of the better ones of this new season. And I too am still adjusting to the new animation style, I guess like with Simpsons, Family Guy & King of the Hill I will get used to Arthur's new flash-style sooner or later, btw are there supposed to be more episodes? It seemed like an awfully short season so far.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

Some episode summaries for season 17 have been floating around the internet.  Looks like they're sticking with the short seasons.

FALL 2013:
Show Off/Dog's Best Friend

It's the Elwood City dog show and Killer is facing off against Sebastian Winkleplotz, the snooty, championship-winning poodle. / Arthur agrees to watch Amigo while Alberto's off at camp

Adventures in Budylon/Ladonna Compson, Party Animal

D.W. and Bud embark on an epic wilderness adventure! Dense jungles, mystical ruins...the backyard has never been so exciting! / Apple picking, bake sales, craft classes...there's so much to do in Elwood City in the fall!

Molina's Mulligan/Buster Flops

Alberto discovers that he has a natural talent for golf and begins competing at the local country club / Buster has lost his flair for funny, and the harder he tries to make people laugh, the worse it gets!

Opposites Distract/Just the Ticket

Arthur and Buster have are best friends. But when a leaky roof forces Arthur to study in Buster's room, they discover that they make better friends than roommates. / Arthur's ecstatic when he wins concert tickets on the radio.

All Thumbs/Kidonia

Buster gets caught sucking his thumb / TBA

SPRING 2014:

Speak Up, Francine/Waiting For Snow

The local creek is polluted! Francine is determined to get the word out at the annual Earth Day rally. / Ladonna can't wait to experience her first blizzard. Skiing, sledding...SNOW DAYS! If only the weather would cooperate.

Pets and Pests/Go Fly a Kite

TBA/TBA

The Director's Cut/Crime and Concequences

After meeting his hero, Hollywood director Tufton Sinclair, George is inspired to make a movie of his own / When George accidentally breaks the class's prize woodworking project, Binky gets unfairly blamed.

Caught in the Crosswires/Framed

TBA/ TBA

Binky's Music Madness/Brain Freeze

TBA / TBA

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

They did an episode where Arthur is a "bully" for teasing Sue Ellen about her ugly sweater (are kids really so sensitive they can't be teased now?) - and of course Francine tells him off.  I really wish someone would point out that Francine is the hugest bully on the show.  Do the writers really not realize how awful she is to everyone? 

Also, the whole thing seemed really out of character for Arthur.  Besides Francine, why not Binky?  The entire character was created around the concept of a bully. 

WeWartide3

WeWartide3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 7:46 AM

My guess by using Arthur as the bully character, is to show children just how easy it is to really be a bully to someone.  At first, Arthur was just making some "harmless fun" at Sue Ellen, and never saw himself as a bully.  Children cause "harmless fun" all the time, but it can really escalate as in Arthur's case.  He kept taking it to the next level.  I really wished the parents becare involved.  I cannot understand how Mr. Ratburn and Principal Hanney did not call his parents.  I also wished it was a two epi arc. 

I know children of today think of bullying more about what we see on TV, but I think Marc Brown wanted to show how it starts on the ground floor so to speak.  I hope that makes sense.

One yesterday epi:  The one where Buster beats The Brain:  We saw Alan's home, and it appeared to be almost as big as the Crosswire's (almost). What does Alan's parents do for a living?

I finally saw LaDonna's first epi, and boy you were right about her being a nerve grinder.  The one with her and Sue Ellen storying telling was much better.

I am happy that Molly's brother is friends with DW (I also hate her). 

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

What does Alan's parents do for a living?

They own an ice cream shop.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

What does Alan's parents do for a living?

They own an ice cream shop.

His mom owns the ice cream shop.  I don't think they've ever mentioned what his dad does.

WeWartide3, your explanation makes sense.  Showing Binky or Rattles as the bully wouldn't have the same impact as showing Arthur, and it brought home the idea that bullying can start small, with a joke, and can quickly go too far.

Edited by BradyB66, Sep 3, 2013 @ 8:48 AM.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

When are the new episodes starting?

WeWartide3

WeWartide3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

We finally saw the "Worst Week Ever" episode.  I found myself rooting more for the lice than I did the children.  Took way to much pleasure of Arthur finally telling DW off.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

I found myself rooting more for the lice than I did the children. 

Why?

WeWartide3

WeWartide3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

BATMAN BEATLES:

I just found their storyline more tolerable than seeing them over and over about how to rid themselves of lice.  That was all.  The General telling the lice how to survive, and them walking in masks when we saw Buster was funny.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

The General telling the lice how to survive, and them walking in masks when we saw Buster was funny.

I thought it was a great way to show kids that you don't have to be dirty to get lice.

Equillibrius

Equillibrius

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

There's actually some truth to that, that dirty people don't get lice. The eggs don't cling as well to oily hair as they do to clean hair, so lice don't thrive quite as well on an oily scalp.

Not that being dirty completely prevents an infestation, it's just that you provide a more ideal environment for them by washing your hair every day.

Edited by Equillibrius, Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:18 PM.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

New episode premiered the other day "Show off & Dog's best friend", the first was a Baby Kate & Pal-centric episode & the 2nd focuses on Arthur dogsitting Alberto's dog.

cmh1981

cmh1981

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

I think I'm officially over Arthur the series. I've been with this show since the beginning and these past few seasons have just not been up to snuff in my personal opinion. I'm 32 now, to give you some perspective of what age I was when I started w/the show, and was a fan of the books ever since Bill Cosby's reading of Arthur's glasses on Reading Rainbow and my first book was Arthur's Halloween. I want to say the switch of the format last season is what did me in, it just isn't the same to me. I do love watching the older episodes, and I still love to watch Arthur's Perfect Christmas every holiday season, it came out my freshman year of college and still remember watching it in my dorm. If they ever put out that special in Blu-ray I will proudly have it in my collection.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

I turned 30 this year and yeah, this show has lost its appeal for me as well.  A little too "topical" and the animation has gotten ugly.  It used to be the show was entertaining and endearing as well as message-driven.  Now every episode is a heavy-handed message and usually a pointless musical number.  Maybe I've just finally outgrown it, but I still find the older episodes very charming.

Aprilshowers

Aprilshowers

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

I've recently rediscovered this show due to my 20 mth old daughter adoring it. Literally I know this show is not aimed at her age, but as soon as the theme song comes on she does a happy dance. Sorry to see others jumping off the bandwagon. I haven't seen every episode though and was just wondering if anyone has some that they would recommend?

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

All of the older seasons are gems, with a few exceptions (some just being slightly better than others). I think it's in the early 2010's or late 2000's that we get loads of Pal & talking Baby Kate episodes...which sounds cute like Rugrats, however it's not. Arthur's Best Christmas Ever is a classic, Arthur's eyes, Francine's Split Decision, Muffy goes Metropolitan are just a few of the imho good ones off the top of my head.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

I tend to prefer the episodes from the middle of the show's run as an adult (mostly because my favorite characters weren't there much in the early years), though the earlier ones are probably the most kid-friendly and have a certain sweet charm the show lost over time.  My personal favorites include:

That's a Baby Show!

Buster's Amish Mismatch

Arthur's Family Vacation

Muffy Goes Metropolitan

I'm a Poet

The Ballad of Buster Baxter
Elwood City Turns 100 (it's Waiting for Guffman, Arthur style!)

Rhyme for Your Life

Fernkenstein's Monster

Muffy's Art Attack (I adore Bailey, and I like Muffy.  I wish the show didn't insist that she's horrible - more to the point, I wish the show didn't insist that Francine being mean to her was acceptable.) 
Fern & Persimmony Glitchet

No Acting, Please!

Adventures of Grotesquely Grim Bunny (You may have noticed that I have an affinity for Fern episodes...)

Falafelosophy

Arthur Meets Mister Rogers isn't a particularly great episode from an adult perspective, but, come on, it's Mr. Rogers!  And Fern's Slumber Party is worth a grown-up look just for the Mystery! intro parody.  These are the ones I enjoy, anyway - I'm not sure which would appeal most to a toddler!  Any of the Prunella episodes involving her Henry Skreever obsession are pretty good as well.  Anything featuring Prunella, Fern and Binky as the leads is a safe best.  For your own sanity, I would avoid the Kate/Pal episodes, and anything DW or Tibble-centric until your little one is old enough to ask for them (and she will...kids seem to love DW). 

Edited by McKay, Nov 19, 2013 @ 6:19 PM.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

The Ballad of Buster Baxter

This is my all-time favorite episode.  I often find myself singing "He's a sad, sad bunny.  A sad, sad, sad, sad...bunny" a la Art Garfunkel.

And I just love how Buster asks Arthur at the end, "When did the singing moose get here?" 

Aprilshowers

Aprilshowers

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Thanks for the episode suggestions. Managed to see "I'm a poet" I laughed so hard and Ballad of Buster Baxter. Wait this show is for my baby not me...

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2013 @ 1:59 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed them!  Arthur is definitely a show for all ages, especially the earlier seasons.  I don't know why, but I laugh so hard when Binky reads his poem, no matter how many times I've seen the episode.

People think I can't write a poem.
But they are so wrong; I can write a poem.
I wrote this one, I wrote this poem,
And I gave it the title; "Binky's Poem".
So shut up!

I can't even explain why it cracks me up so much.  It just does. 

Aprilshowers

Aprilshowers

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

It really strikes me in watching this show how much I want to see a more grown up version. I think that if written well it could really work. Would love to see the kids in high school it doesn't have to get too heavy, but the wonderful thing about Arthur is that the episodes can give you lessons without beating you over the head with it. When Arthur does end maybe someone could pitch that idea and get this teenage Arthur on the air. 

PennyCandyLane

PennyCandyLane

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

I remember watching the series premier as a 9 year old fourth grader in 1996! (I'm now 26.5!!) With the Juicy Juice and Baby Gap sponsors! D.W. may be bratty, but I honestly love her! The first five or six seasons are my favorites. One of my all time favorite episodes is Buster and the Daredevils where Arthur and Buster try to impress some older kids. Buster goes into the Sugar Bowl and tells Binky that he has a message for him, then tell him; "your mother eats gym shorts!" A decade later, that still cracks me up!