Arthur: The Most Entertaining Aardvark

• Please log in to reply

1288 replies to this topic

entigral

entigral

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:17 PM

Aw, haven't seen the bleep ep. sniff.

Today's rerun: the Piano Teacher one, and the Chocolate selling one (sorry I'm terrible with ep names, for any show)

One of my FAVORITE LINES EVER

Arthur: I'd like to play for you again, please.
Dr. Fugue: Highly irregular. Hmm...[checks watch] all right, I have a few minutes before Soul Train.

ahahahahahahaha

The Chocolate ep is weird...too much "Buster is stupid/irresponsible/a huge drama queen/etc" and...not enough logic. Like, why couldn't his mom pay off $60 and arrange some other repayment from Buster himself? Little too contrived to get the joke shop guy in there. Or maybe the joke guy paid more than the 60, but still...heh. Not a bad episode, but after the 5th viewing you start to find things. And making their own choc! I looove that part. You put tomatoes in chocolate?! :D

Late commentary on the NYC ep, from what I can remember.
I liked the live-action stuff, it was cute and pretty seamless with the animation. The chalk-drawing guy and the food places were awesome and the girls who took them to The Point were so cute! mmm, cupcake.

I seem to recall something about closing the Sugar Bowl, a Sue Ellen-centered ep, and that was ok. Oh yeah and that one about the hottest day of the year was so hilariously absurd; Arthur confronts chaos theory! heh that's what it got me thinking about, anyway.

I thought that whole week was supposed to be new eps? But they showed NYC twice...

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

Did anybody see "Bleep" tho? I just saw it today.

This, alas, was the only new ep. I caught. I love how the word (whatever it is) makes people drop things in shock. I too would love to know what they were bleeping out.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

I recently saw an episode where (to make a long story short) Buster had to go to work in a novelty shop to pay off debts accumulated during chocolate-sale misadventures. it was a perfect job for Buster, and the store owner highly approved. Was Buster seen working there again, or was that a one-time deal?

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

I certainly never saw him working there again.

LitMajorsRule

LitMajorsRule

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:12 AM

Did anybody see "Bleep" tho? I just saw it today.

Yeah, I saw it twice last week, actually. It was one of the most surreal fifteen minutes of PBS television programming ever. The scene in the sandbox at the end was classic. "You bleephead!"

Me and my buddy Arthur go way back. When I was about seven (I'm twenty-two now), I got to meet Marc Brown and have him sign my book. I had to start aggressive treatment for a visual disorder when I was three, and my mom got me the book Arthur's Eyes about when Arthur first gets his glasses. When I met MB, my mom told him that story, so he drew a little pic of me in my glasses next to the one he drew of Arthur.

One of my favorite vintage Arthur eps is where he has to write a story for class, but gets intimidated when he hears what the other kids in his class are doing. It reminded me of my real life in grad school, when I sometimes become paralyzed and unable to do work when someone claims they've checked sixty-five primary texts out of the library or something. Anyway, Arthur's story is part alien fiction and part country song...it always cracks me up.

Sidenote: In the 70s, my mother was a teacher for a school disctrict in Meadville, PA. She says that the character of Mr. Ratburn is based on an actual teacher from that district, and that MB was from that area. I should do some research to see if I can back her theory up...she told me all of this much before Arthur was such a phenemenon!

wounded

wounded

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 12:08 PM

One of my favorite vintage Arthur eps is where he has to write a story for class, but gets intimidated when he hears what the other kids in his class are doing. It reminded me of my real life in grad school, when I sometimes become paralyzed and unable to do work when someone claims they've checked sixty-five primary texts out of the library or something. Anyway, Arthur's story is part alien fiction and part country song...it always cracks me up.

"Down on Planet Shmelephant!!!! Paramp!"

Cannot. Stop. Laughing.

may16goddess

may16goddess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 9:04 AM

I love all the times when Kate and Pal start playing together. They almost look the same, except that Kate wears clothes.

My favorite parts are when they used to do those comic strips. There haven't been any in a while. I loved the one where Francine was making fun of Fern, and vice versa. I liked the giant green blob, and it was so sad at the end. I also love Mrs. McCreery. The whole fair was good, with everyone chasing the secratary.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

Yesterday, I was watching the episode that dealt with the group Binky that ended up being holograms (spoilered for those that have not seen the episode). What does everyone think of that episode?

I liked it, but the song they kept doing (a-wee-a-wee-a-wee-a-wee-a) quickly got on my nerves.

Phishtar

Phishtar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 10:24 AM

I love that song. Really, I do. Every time I think I should look it up and buy it or something. It's a little embarrassing.

The episode was OK. I loved Arthur's fantasy sequences with the limo. The episodes where Arthur screws up, while realistic (it is nice to have a hero who isn't always perfect), are never the ones I enjoy the most. I like the ones like the Binky episode better, where everyone means well but chaos ensues anyway. And then they all work it out in the end.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

I'm beginning to think "soundtrack". The Binky tune, "Crazy Bus"...I'd buy it. Really.

This is how I realized I'm truly turning into a 4-year-old: I saw an episode tonight about the Tibble twins imitating robotic superheroes on TV (forgetting the name of the episode). Aside from the clip of the superheroes the Tibbles saw on TV, there was a little bit of Mary Moo-Cow and a kiddie-style documentary about feet (hell, they could've been part of the same show and I just didn't realize it at the time!). I realized when I saw those clips that I wanted to keep watching them! Pathetic.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

Aside from the clip of the superheroes the Tibbles saw on TV, there was a little bit of Mary Moo-Cow and a kiddie-style documentary about feet

You mean with the classic tune, "Feet-feet-feet-feet-feet-FEET"? I think that was supposed to be more like a Sesame Street jingle.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 10:08 AM

I saw that just the other day and I only noticed it because I read it here. It cracked me up.

Anyone else notice that David Read always forgets his catering appointments until first thing in the morning? He must not get a lot of jobs if he's a last minute caterer. And he does it all from his kitchen? Without any help? If he were a proper caterer he'd be shopping a day or two beforehand, preparing a bunch of the food to save time - so how does he still manage to forget?

There must not be any other caterers in Elwood and the citizens must have really low standards because I wouldn't want David Read catering my affairs.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

If he were a proper caterer he'd be shopping a day or two beforehand, preparing a bunch of the food to save time - so how does he still manage to forget?

He forgets because he's so busy experimenting with things like liver pudding and ham-flavored ice cream.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 9:52 AM

He forgets because he's so busy experimenting with things like liver pudding and ham-flavored ice cream.

Nice. Those foods sound like things that the Two Fat Ladies would be cooking as well.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

I was watching the "DW Turns Five" episode and they showed a clip of when she was on the balance beam to show that she could do flips on there like her friend. One thing that I never really noticed, or gave too much thought about, was the fact that the Tibble twins were enjoying the fact that she was thisclose to falling off and seriously injuring herself. What a bunch of evil little brats! [like we didn't know that already]

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 7:29 AM

Speaking of that episode, is anyone else disturbed by DW's friend Emily's ginormous head? Not only does she have a huge head, but it's a long, fat potato head. But the rest of her body is normal.

I have a feeling that the big head thing comes from the fact that some real bunnies have this flap of neck skin that hangs down below their chin, but Buster and his mom don't have them so I'm not sure why they drew it onto Emily.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 9:05 AM

If it's true, that's just hilarious. Maybe Buster and his mom are a different kind of rabbit than Emily?

One thing that I never really noticed, or gave too much thought about, was the fact that the Tibble twins were enjoying the fact that she was thisclose to falling off and seriously injuring herself.

Why am I not surprised?

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 4:47 PM

I think the Tibble Twins are there to make DW seem less evil. Even though DW is annoying and spoiled, the Tibbles are downright evil. What really pissed me off was that time they hit her with a swing and she had to get stitches. Don't kids get kicked out of school for that kind of stuff?

wounded

wounded

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 10:13 AM

I was watching an episode yesterday that I haven't seen before (the one prior to Best of the Nest; the one where Sue Ellen gets addicted to that goose game), and laughed my ass off at the sled named Rosebud in Muffy's old game room. Hee!

chibibunny

chibibunny

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

I just saw the hitting episode and even though I was warned by you guys I can't believe how everyone overreacted. I didn't hit my sister a whole lot, but that was just because she could cry on command even if it didn't hurt. I learned early. I guess its just a Stepford town were even the children with siblings don't resort to violence.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 9:32 PM

Just saw "Buster's Best Behavior", where Buster and Arthur end up trading personalities because each is disappointed with his own attributes and gets grass-is-greener syndrome. It's a great idea that for some reason didn't seem well executed...though I can't put my finger on why not. I guess it seemed rushed, even for a 15-minute cartoon, and not up to the usual excellent writing standards.

Phishtar

Phishtar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 10:27 PM

I think that was it, Elliot, it felt too rushed-- there wasn't really enough motivation for either of them to start acting like each other. I still loved it when Francine saved the day by yelling, though.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

The only thing I remember from that episode is Buster dressed like Arthur, in the jeans and the yellow sweater. Which is sort of a recycled theme because they had another episode where DW copied Arthur and wore the same outfit as him too. I'm not sure which episode came first, but I was still amused by how it looked. I think eventually, each character in Arthur should spend at least one episode dressed like the aardvark himself.

entigral

entigral

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

BLEEP EPISODE ON TODAY! :D

taping it. nehehehehe.

I'm in NorCal which gets a Sac station and the SF station and it's on the SF station, which is channel 9 for me. Hope I'm helping someone by posting this. :)

neeheehee

MrPorter

MrPorter

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 4:48 PM

About the "Binky" song:
Phishtar

I love that song. Really, I do. Every time I think I should look it up and buy it or something. It's a little embarrassing.

It's a snippet of a song called "Matalii ja Mustii" by the Finnish group Varttina, from their Seleniko disc. It was a left-field hit (well...by NPR standards) in the early 90's. I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

Of course, the fact that I both knew and owned this song did not impress my wife. In fact I think her exact words were "you're a bigger geek than I thought you were!" ...(Too late, HA!) Now we have geeky children.

jacobndiana

jacobndiana

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 2:05 AM

I just wanted to mention that there are at least 2 music CDs out. My son is a huge Arthur fan (we had a Arthur and DW birthday for him and his little sister) and we have the CD that has "Crazy Bus", Binky's song, the theme song, Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card, the ballad of buster baxter (art garfunkel's song), etc. You can get it at Amazon.com or special order at your
neighborhood Borders (that's what we did). My mom and I were listening to it while making homemade Arthur and DW cakes and she was so excited to hear Art Garfunkel - she had seen Simon and Garfunkel in concert the night before.

We have Arthur's Christmas book and Pal was called Killer back then. Gee that's great, my Arthur obsessed 4 year old running around talking about "killer" out of context. Also, we're Jewish and every now and again, he'll shout "gas chamber" from the family vacation episode. :)

nettey78

nettey78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

I just discovered this thread. It's nice to know MrNettey and I aren't the only childrenless adults in the world who watch Arthur. I always watch it while I am at the gym and yesterday I saw the episode with Mr. Rogers while I was at the dentist.

The hitting episode really bothers me too, not really because Arthur gets in trouble but because DW doesn't. I always end up thinking, "Arthur you fool, if you just didn't hit her she would be in big trouble and you wouldn't be in any." Maybe it just bothers me because I'm the oldest child because this episode doesn't bother MrNettey at all but he is the youngest in his family. I can remember a few times in my childhood when my little brother broke something of mine and I got mad at him and I ended up getting in trouble for yelling at him and not understanding that he "didn't know any better" while he got off scot free.

My favorite episode is the one with Henry Skreever (Prunella's Special Edition) and the second part is all from Kate and Pal's point of view and they have to find the bride and groom for the top of the wedding cake (The Secret Lives of Dogs and Babies).

I'm going to revive the trivia:
What is Kate's favorite TV show?

Edited by nettey78, Mar 30, 2004 @ 5:15 PM.

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

I'm going to revive the trivea:
What is Kate's favorite TV show?

I don't recall what it is, but I'm pretty sure that it ain't The Love Ducks.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

I'm guessing it isn't Mary Moo Cow , Bionic Bunny or that documentary about feet.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

But I thought that Mary Moo Cow was more of D.W.'s favorite show, not Kate's?