Tissues Galore: Saddest TV Moments

• Please log in to reply

3073 replies to this topic

shinji12

shinji12

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:53 PM

Long time reader here, and I just HAD to register and post after reading this thread!

My choices are:

Realitivity, I cant remember the episode or character names, but when the poor families Dad left for an out of town job, the leads teenage brother (Julie's rapist on Felicity) breaks down and crys outside their apartment as his dad gets into a van and leaves his kids. Was unexpected and SAD.

The Tribe Plenty sad moments on this show. When Ebony confessed her love to Bray and when he rejects her, she falls out as he walks away. Later that day Saline does the same thing, only she drops her clothes, and Bray rejects her too! LOL Another sad moment happened when Bray found amber alive and she INSTANTLY told him to take a hike. Another from season 4 happens when Ram tells Java he has to live in reality space because his body is dying.

East Enders Too many to count on this show! Number one would have to be David leaving his crazy son Joe screaming for him to to leave as he drives off in tears
David does a RUNNER!. Another was when Tony told Simon he always loved him but couldnt stay in Walford around anymore. Then when Dot help Ethel commit suicide, soooooo sad. Ethel's death. Then there was Bianca's affair with Dan. Poor Ricky cries over a hangnail, but this really put him over the edge. And Carol's reaction was THE best soap response to the "daughter sleeping with the mother's man" storyline EVER! You're Dead to Me!

Edited by shinji12, Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:12 AM.

Chenoeh

Chenoeh

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:49 AM

I cried like a little baby when Christopher Reeve appeared on Smallville. I loved him since I was a little girl, and his accident broke my heart- but he's kept on going! And when he was on that show, and they played a couple bars of the original Superman theme... I was sniffling half the night.

Yes! I was shocked at how... stirring, I suppose I found that.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

I think it was the original "Superman" theme that really made it work.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:59 PM

I just got done watching "The Yearling," on TV. I think it was mentioned way back on this thread. So, I felt the need to come here and share my experience; that being my complete and utter lack of exhibiting any sort of behavior remotely resembling that of a 23 year old grad student.
I. Could. Not. Stop. Crying.

I knew the story--kind of--going in, but I only had the vaguest memories of what actually happens. I cried throughout, but what really killed me was the very, very end, after the boy and his family made peace with his growing up and losing his innocence, and 'becoming a man,' he drifts to sleep and dreams of his Flag.

Damn if that isn't one of the saddest things about life.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:12 PM.

Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:24 AM

Things on TV that should never be watched often include movies that have children and animals. This includes Bambi, The Yearling and Old Yeller. Unless you watch the Phoebe Buffay version in which Old Yeller has babies.

My worst one? A movie where 2 dogs and a cat are with a family of 3 kids, each with their own favorite pet. Somehow they lose their humans and have to make it back. One of the dogs is old and has the "voice" of Don Ameche. One hour and twenty minutes of kid-appropriate dangerous trevails later, the kids are on the lawn and the young dog runs up and the youngest boy loves it and hugs it and is all happy. Then comes the cat and the girl repeats same scene. The oldest boy just stares at the edge of the woods, but nothing. Then the mom comes up to him and says, "You know, he was an old dog, it would have been too hard for him" Blah blah blah cryingcakes. I was sobbing.

Then the old dog comes bounding out of the woods. It was a saddest moment fake out. I spent the rest of the day mad at myself getting all emotional over a movie.

And the show Benji always upset me too, because the dog would roam into town and help someone but would always leave. I really wanted Benji to find a home.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Too true about the animal movie watching caveat, Beelzebubba; I am certainly putting The Yearling the my list of not-to-watch-because-they-will-run-you-down-for-the-rest-of-the-day-due-to-
all-of-the-tears-they-force-you-to-shed movies.

And I believe that the movie you're referring to is "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey," which is based on the book, "The Incredible Journey." It's excellent, though just as sad--if not more--than the movie, so be careful if you decide to read it.

marxfan

marxfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:31 PM

Don't forget Charlotte's Web. Dear Lord, that movie depresses the hell out of me to this day, and the stupid thing is, I don't even like spiders! I've discovered that there are two different kinds of animated movies: those that cater to kids with no attention span, and those that are so depressing that they ruin your day.

CelticGoddess

CelticGoddess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:11 PM

Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video breaks my heart.

And 75% of all Joan of Arcadia's get me verklempt

aurora

aurora

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:30 PM

I broke a personal record and got teary three times watching Alias last night. And then someone had to make fun of me because my voice cracked when I whispered "she's right there" during the funeral.

FlowingSmooth

FlowingSmooth

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:38 PM

There was an Animaniacs episode which followed a piece of gold wrapping paper around, as it was blown through the streets of a city, playing a part in different scenarios. Eventually, it ends up in a backalley, where it's picked up by a man who uses it to wrap a small toy. He then gives it to his child, and we see that it's a family who lives in the back of a car. Wow.

Edited by FlowingSmooth, Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:40 PM.

jr1234

jr1234

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

I have to say the saddest animal movie EVER was My Dog Skip-which is on TBS all the time so it counts as tv. I can't even tell you how hard I cried at the end-maybe because I also had my own dog growing up and had to leave him behind for college as well. The scene that gets me is when the dog is getting really old and he can't climb on the bed any longer and the mom helps him up. He then curls up and "goes to sleep" But, anyways, tears,tears everywhere. It choked me up the next day when I was telling someone about the movie. To this day I cannot watch it again.

milhomie

milhomie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 4:35 AM

[whispers]I thought the episode of SBTB where Zack and Kelly broke up was sad.[/whispers]

The first time I saw TLC's Waterfalls, I thought it was hearbreaking (with the ghost mother who sees her son die).

Also, the episode of Cowboy Bebop when Ed leaves and Faye sleeps in the outline of her bed in the ground.

dr gailey

dr gailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 5:53 AM

I watch a lot of tv and didn't think that I could get teary but a few shows and a few people have made me shed a tear or two.

Ally McBeal- When Billy died. The scene in the courtroom and when Ally told everyone at work just got me. The whole show was great.

Everwood- Normally I don't watch this show but I was sucked into the season premiere. I teared up when I realized Colin had died. The last scene when he just disappears got me.

Nip/Tuck- I am a huge fan of the show. Best one had to be Adelle Coffin when Meagn dies. Her sucide to "Rocket Man" and funeral had me bawling.

Life Goes On- The episode when the mom finds out she is pregnant and has visions of her little boy. Best scene is when the little boy says he has to go get ready and he won't remember her or the song he likes. The mom promises him that she will sing it to him every night and she won't forget him.

Silk Stalkings- I will admit it. I was a huge fan of Chris and Rita. The scene where Chris is dying in the hospital gets me every time. He wakes up and tells Rita he will never leave her and then they kiss. He then goes into cardiac arrest and he dies. The most effective part is the scene at the end where Riat is looking at the bed where Chris died and she doesn't say anything. She just looks at the bed and then turns away. There is no noise or anything and the scene fades to black. The next episode is his funeral and Rita holds up through the funeral. Then she has a little break down at work when the captain tells her that he misses him to. The big break down comes when she goes to his burial site to tell Chris why she is leaving Palm Beach and she has her big breakdown with tears. I was bawling when she gave the captain her badge and said bye.

Charmed- One person has a special place in my heart for making me cry. It takes a real touching moment to get me to cry but Holly Marie Combs manages to do it to me every time. Any true fan of Charmed will tell you that it is hard not to be effected when Holly has a scene that involves tears. She has had to many to single out as her best tear-induced scene. Two that stand out though are [b]Hell Hath No Fury and All Hell Breaks Loose
. Anytime it looks like she is going to cry have some tissue nearby.

Edited by dr gailey, Jan 15, 2004 @ 5:54 AM.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:19 AM

That's how Silk Stalking's ended? Chris died?

So sad.

SkippyDevereaux

SkippyDevereaux

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

I hope that TV movies are allowed in this catagory.
If so, then I would say that "A Sensitive, Passionate Man", with David Janssen and Angie Dickinson was a tearjerker for me. Maybe the subject matter hit too close to home, as it was about an alcoholic father taking it out on his wife and two sons.

"Unnatural Causes" with Alfre Woodard and John Ritter (who should have been nominated for an Emmy for this one). It was about a Vietnam veteran and his having to deal with contracting Agent Orange in his system and trying to get help from the Veteran's Administration.

"After The Promise" with Mark Harmon, dealing with a father having his sons taken away from him in the Depression and then trying to get them all back together.

Another one was "Who Will Love My Children" with Ann-Margret. Now THAT one was almost unbearable to watch, but I did and still do when it comes on.

I am sure that there are others that I have seen and made me sad or cry, but these are the ones that stand out the most!!

LPizzle

LPizzle

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

Beelzebubba- you mean Homeward Bound. Great movie. Michael J. Fox was the other dog and the cat was Sally Field. That movie freaks me out b/c that lost little girl they help looks exactly like I did when I was little. Gah.

mobiusklein

mobiusklein

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:44 PM

The entire episode of SV called Asylum. Lex abuse galore.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

Lifetime movie "Homeless to Harvard" where Thora Birch's mom dies and she curls up on the coffin, and the bulldozer starts up to throw dirt on it.

Any scene in a Lifetime movie where the kids get separated from their parents and thrown into foster care/JD facilty. And I don't even like kids that much.

bella1013

bella1013

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 4:49 PM

saddest animal movie

How about Ice Age? Anyone else feel a tear on their cheek during the scene where they show the cavemen drawings come to life, showing what happened to the mammoths family?

Can of Squelch

Can of Squelch

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

Tearjerker Classic: "Brian's Song" - the original one.
My mom and I went through about a whole box of Kleenex on that one. Every time that theme song would come on, I'd be off again!

Kudos to TheDoc87 for mentioning Brian's Song--I wept through that, too.

Other tear-jerking moments:

NewsRadio: "Bill Moves On", after Phil Hartman's death--especially the last scene with the empty chair.

Third Watch:
a) "A Hero's Rest"--the cop killer episode; the funeral afterwards brought me to tears.
b) "Unfinished Business"--Bobby's death felt like someone kicking me in the throat. I can't watch that episode anymore; if it's on, I switch channels.

NYPD Blue: "Heart and Souls"--(broken record) Bobby's death (/broken record) at the end, especially Andy kissing him on the forehead before he died.

ER: "All In The Family"--Lucy's death--right after she regained consciousness after the procedure.

Edited by Can of Squelch, Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:10 PM.

Daisy Duke

Daisy Duke

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

"Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey," which is based on the book, "The Incredible Journey." It's excellent, though just as sad--if not more--than the movie, so be careful if you decide to read it.

The book was slightly more depressing but much better quality, and not cartoony. The cat was also much cooler (in an oddly believable way) and that they changed HIS gender confused me when I first saw the movie.

Edited because I am a moron.

Edited by Daisy Duke, Jan 19, 2004 @ 8:54 PM.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 5:50 PM

I must admit that I am not a follower of Buffy, on a scale of fandom for the show I'm probably a four. I just saw "The Body" episode yesterday on FX, and damn, the tears were falling. When Buffy first refers to her mother as the body (to Giles), when she tells Dawn and then when Anya cries. Damn!

watch2much

watch2much

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

So last night I cried at a show about elephants. It was so moving. I missed about the first 15 or 20 minutes but basically it was a show about captive elephants. It was part of the Nature series and the episode is titled "Urban Elephants" or something similar. These 2 circus elephants who end up at a sanctuary at the end just killed me. When Shirley's trainer is giving her the last bath before they have to part he says something along the lines of "I don't know who put the first chains on her but I'm glad to know I'm the last one who'll be taking 'em off." I am crying right now thinking about it. I was crying during the last 5 minutes of the show when they were showing Shirley finally free. I want to send gobs of money to the people who run this sanctuary. It's being rerun this weekend on our local PBS station (KCTS 9) and it is definitely worth watching.

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 6:02 PM

Gracelessly, I never watched the show until just a few episodes before that, and I think it may be the reason I continued (that and the funny one-liners). That is one of the saddest episodes of tv I've ever seen. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it, and believe me, I am not a crier.

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

I think the show that sends me into hysterics the most often is Buffy - Prophecy Girl, Becoming pt.2 (that was the first episode I ever saw and I bawled my eyes out), Wild at Heart (Oz leaving Willow just KILLED me). The part of The Body that really gets me is Anya's speech. Oh God. Buffy's counterpart, Angel, has been known to send me into fits of tears as well. Namely 'Hero'. For some reason, I got so attached to Doyle in season 1, and...God. "I guess we'll never have the chance to find out if this is a face you could learn to love." Guh. Tears.

Some people far, far upthread were talking about the Sesame Street movies. I thought the "If I ever get home, I'll never leave home again" song was from 'Big Bird Goes to Japan', or whatever it was called. At any rate, those movies traumatized me. I cried rivers when I was a kid.

Thanks guys. Now I'm getting all teary and depressed.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 7:38 PM

"Unnatural Causes" with Alfre Woodard and John Ritter (who should have been nominated for an Emmy for this one). It was about a Vietnam veteran and his having to deal with contracting Agent Orange in his system and trying to get help from the Veteran's Administration.

Oh man. I have that on tape. John Ritter was so good in it.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

watch2much--I've seen that show. It was definitely worthy of tears, even though it was about a happy ending. When Shirley met up with her old friend Jenny--they were in the circus together and still remembered each other years later--it was very moving. In fact, I think it was mentioned on this thread a long time ago, but I'm not sure. So, you're not alone.

Shirley lives at The Elephant Sanctuary and you can check up on her there.

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 12:11 AM

Buffy and Angel have both got me in tears before. The first time I ever cried at a TV show was the second season finale of Buffy, when she has to kill Angel RIGHT AFTER he gets his soul back. I still cry every time I see the repeats of this.

The only time I remember crying at Angel was when Buffy came to visit in the first season and Angel became a human. I cried at the end when he told her that he had to make her forget it all.

This wasn't really a moment, but my mom tells me that when I was little, I used to get upset and cry when no one could see Snuffalupogus except for Big Bird. Apparently, I wasn't the only one, b/c a few years ago I read in TV Guide that a lot of parents complained about it. That's why they decided to make Snuffy a real person instead of just Big Bird's imaginary friend.

Gates

Gates

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

Speaking of Sesame Street, has anyone mentioned the death of Mr. Hooper? When they try to explain to Big Bird why Mr. Hooper won't be at his shop anymore, I was confused as a kid, but my mother was crying her eyes out. I saw it again some time back, and even though I am not an emotional person, I just had tears silently running down my face. Like right now as I'm typing this.

Wherever you are Mr. Hooper, thanks.

BoE

BoE

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

Wherever you are Mr. Hooper, thanks.

Oh, God...I hadn't thought about Mr. Hooper in years. Being the masochist that I am, I went searching for a transcript of that episode and found this. Now I'm sobbing...

Edited by BoE, Feb 5, 2004 @ 5:59 PM.