Oprah

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30201 replies to this topic

pinaycuzin

pinaycuzin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 2:13 AM

Hey, I used to be a fan of Oprah and now, I'm pretty much turned off by her attitude. I don't know what's the fuss why people worship her. There's really nothing to praise about, except that she is rich, she was raped yet she succeeded. Okay enough of my rants....here's the real dirt about an old episode about women over thirty all over the world (or something like that)...I don't really blame O here, more on the producers

The person representing the Philippines taped a thirty-five minute segment for O's show which includes how beautiful and independent the Filipinas are and other stuff. Almost all of the relevant footage was disregarded, instead the O producers insisted to have something about Starbucks, so that's the only part shown. ....and I thought this was a show/ episode about women and now, their making it as an advertising vehicle oh please. I actually read it in another board where the head programmer of the network is posting regularly, and that's his take because he directed the 35 minute tape for the segment

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:24 AM

I recall that show--it was about the average 30 year old woman in whatever country. There was a segment on Mexican women and how they don't diet and exercise, and yet the segment was hosted by some stick figure who obviously does both.

But I don't remember anything about Starbucks.

pinaycuzin

pinaycuzin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 6:04 AM

maybe you missed because I saw the segment, there it's on the second half of the show before Oprah resumed from the break, the girl is talking about merienda and starbucks is almost everywhere

AnnieDoodle

AnnieDoodle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 7:21 AM

Oprah helping to get America's suburban moms out of their bubble is gut-wrenchingly, sickeningly funny.

Yes, suburban moms are in bubbles and completely oblivious to the outside world. Stepford wives, all of them. Good thing Oprah is around to help their poor souls out of their bubbles. I know hearing what Icelandic women think of American women really helped me understand their country better.

Rotten shark! You mean they actually cure the shark by burying it and then eat it! How barbaric!! Them there Iceland people sure are funny!

benjybaby

benjybaby

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:01 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster, but I had to chime in about Aishwarya, not because I'm a fan but as an Indian it is a matter of some pride to see on her on an American network.

She was okay, much better than some of the other interviews I've seen her in. She is not exactly the warmest person around and she often comes across as terribly artificial when she tries to be. She also seems to have lost the faux accent she was attemtping while on Letterman or even on 60 mins and she barely giggled which must be a record for her!

I know a lot of her interview was cut which was why it came across as a little awkward perhaps, but no amount of editing can take away from the sheer stupidity of Oprah's questions.

"Do you have a lot of sex?" What the hell was that? Even Oprah should know that India's billion-plus population is second only to China and I don't think it got that way purely through divine intervention. Later on she ammended it to convey her actual question about extra-marital sex but still after being a host for more than 20 years, one would think she would know how to frame an elementary question in simple English.

Btw....Ash is wholly Indian, no mixed-blood there. What's more she's South Indian who are often darker-skinned. She is from the small Bunt community in Karnataka state and speaks Tulu. Also similarly fair and purely South Indian (though a Tamilian Brahmin) is Vasundhara Das, star of Monsoon Wedding which actually underlines Ash's point about the many skin colours of the Indian people.

Edited because after speaking English for over 20 years, I should know how to frame an elementary sentence in that language.

Edited by benjybaby, Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:04 AM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:12 AM

According to the 5/2 Enquirer, Oprah is moving to her home in Montecito and will move the show to the L.A. area. It will give her more access to celebrity interviews. Oh, great.

Edited because Montecito is not Modesto. I guess it's my Ugly New Yorker grasp of geography.

Edited by jackiecarr, Apr 26, 2005 @ 12:11 PM.

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:12 AM

but no amount of editing can take away from the sheer stupidity of Oprah's questions.

She's a jackass, in any language.

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:17 AM

Oprah's home is in Montecito,by Santa Barbara. Modesto is north, where Scott Peterson and Gary Conditt are from.

I like Ash but I think Michael Caine's wife Sharika is way prettier than her. Michael and Shakira Caine.

Edited by mimsy61, Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:18 AM.

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 12:25 PM

The first time I had ever heard of Aishwarya Rai was when she was pronounced the most beautiful woman in the world by none other than Oprah's BFF Julia Roberts. I read that in some entertainment rag.

DeepRed

DeepRed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

We have some fairly unusual food here too. Has anyone heard of pickled pigs feet?

Or wine, which you can think of as fermented grape juice. Or cheese, which is fermented milk, in a way. Or sauerkraut and yogurt. And Thai and Vietnamese food, in which fish sauce is a main condiment. O must've encountered some of these foods by now, dontcha think?

D'oprah's ignernt Amerikkan act has always bugged me. Years ago she had a show on tipping. Evidently after all her years of travel, and oh, just living on this planet like the rest of us, she still didn't know how much to tip a waiter, a bellhop, a hair stylist, etc. As if she couldn't read a book about it or, hell, ask a friend if she needed to know.

Underneath all that money and celebrity gloss, she's just an ignorant jerk. If I behaved towards people from other cultures the way O does, even at my advanced age my mom would knock me into next week.

Not4Me

Not4Me

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

The only person I could see bad mouthing or joking about Oprah would be Kathy Griffin because she's a comic and she says what she thinks.

And she has. I went to see a recent show of Kathy's and she snarked on Oprah for becoming so preachy, pompous, and condescending to her guests. It's like she read the TWOP site. She also alluded to some Oprah-Gayle HoYay, which was wrong but so funny.

Sharpy

Sharpy

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 1:20 PM

We have some fairly unusual food here too. Has anyone heard of pickled pigs feet?

And uh, hull-O, Oprah - chittlins???? I wonder if she turns up her nose at caviar.

Funny, yesterday I was just thinking: Huh. I wonder why the hell she is still in Chicago? Will she ever move the show? And I'm so sorry jackiecarr; as someone who regularly says Venice when she means Vienna, I can sympathize - but this cracked me up:

Oprah's home is in Montecito,by Santa Barbara. Modesto is north, where Scott Peterson and Gary Conditt are from.

I love the image of Oprah walking her dogs around glamorous Modesto!

And I agree about Mrs. Caine. But then, I don't know why people accept Julia Roberts as beautiful. Most people would find her attractive, but I think she's got some funny features and I'd put her more in the quirky-beauty category.

Edited by Sharpy, Apr 26, 2005 @ 2:10 PM.

Gemneye

Gemneye

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 1:55 PM

D'oprah's ignernt Amerikkan act has always bugged me. Years ago she had a show on tipping. Evidently after all her years of travel, and oh, just living on this planet like the rest of us, she still didn't know how much to tip a waiter, a bellhop, a hair stylist, etc. As if she couldn't read a book about it or, hell, ask a friend if she needed to know.

I remember that show. It was a long time ago but I think Oprah's problem with tipping was that she was over tipping. She even said that whenever she arrived at a hotel that the staff would drop everything to help her (although that could be attributed to her celebrity status) because she tipped so much. I think that show was mainly to help everyone else figure out what is an acceptable amount to tip people.

I missed the Ash interview, will she be on Oprah's After the Show. She may not be the most beautiful woman in the world but you have to admit she is stunning.

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:10 PM

Yeah, I think she plays dumb a lot, trying to act like she's just ordinary folk. Which...is actually pretty insulting.

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:13 PM

Mad TV and SNL have parodied the Cult of O but most of it is good natured and not too biting.

Was it Oprah that Hans und Franz did a demonstration of liposuction on back in the early '90s? IIRC, the liposuction machine was clear, and as "fat" they used vanilla pudding. Of course, the machine overloaded from too much fat and exploded, and the pudding went everyone. Hilarious.

Sharpy

Sharpy

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:26 PM

I think it's definitely a strategy, most of the time. Sometimes though, she just IS dumb - like most of us. I think we all have one or two "common knowledge" things that eluded us until 30 years after everyone else knew it? [Damn! I'm trying to think of mine, but forget].

Remember a few years back when she announced her intention to remain on the air for another how many years? So that she could make a difference? She knows if the ratings are low enough, it's goodbye. To keep that clueless "afternoon audience" tuned in, she needs to keep a certain dumbed-downedness. She's like the politician who must sacrifice his morals in small ways to be there in a big way. I really think this is her thought process.

If only she'd spend a few million to hire a production team from public radio to school her own staff in how to make traditionally "dry" or complex subject matter both incisive and fascinating. Man, is she a sucky interviewer.

mookster

mookster

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:42 PM

I just tuned in to see some chick cutting herself with a razor. Is this from that show "Intervention"? This is the lazy shit I hate that O does: glom onto some other show to get credit for "tackling the tough issues."

If this is in fact an original show, I take back everything I just said.

Although, her "I've been saying this FOR YEARS" in regard to the harmful repercussions child abuse can have throughout life I could do without. Psst, O, you are not the first person to make that observation. I can appreciate her raising awareness of issues, but what does it add to the discussion for her to claim that SHE has been SAYING this for YEARS!?

jensgirl

jensgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:00 PM

It was a long time ago but I think Oprah's problem with tipping was that she was over tipping.

I heard that it was the opposite. There's tons of disgruntled waitstaff around Chicago who have horror stories of meeting her Cruella DeVille demands and getting nada in return.

GreenBean227

GreenBean227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:13 PM

I just tuned in to see some chick cutting herself with a razor. Is this from that show "Intervention"? This is the lazy shit I hate that O does: glom onto some other show to get credit for "tackling the tough issues."

I don't know if the cutter is from "Intervention", but the first story on the show, the crack addict who used to be a White House intern was definitely from "Intervention". I think the cutter might be, but either way she's still glomming onto other people's work.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:44 PM

mookster looks like you won't have to take it back - this is like watching a re-run of the Intervention shows.

but what does it add to the discussion for her to claim that SHE has been SAYING this for YEARS!?

Not a damn thing! ITA - it's irritating!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:45 PM.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:54 PM

Once again, Miss Interrupty Pants simply could not allow an abuse victim to speak for herself.

Tarheel

Tarheel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 4:56 PM

Years ago she had a show on tipping. Evidently after all her years of travel, and oh, just living on this planet like the rest of us, she still didn't know how much to tip a waiter, a bellhop, a hair stylist, etc. As if she couldn't read a book about it or, hell, ask a friend if she needed to know.

Oh please. If I had this woman's money I'd overtip everybody! There's nothing worse than a celeb who gets out the tip calculator. I can see doing that tipping show for all the rest of us peons who don't have millions, but for Oprah to pretend that she needs advice on tipping? Give me a break

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 5:03 PM

The two women were from "Invention" but the Oprah part was new. It's kinda like when she had on the cast from "Showbiz Moms and Dads"

I felt sorry for the White House intern/crack addict but at least she's not Monica. The cutter looked scary but people will film any and everything.

Edited by mimsy61, Apr 26, 2005 @ 5:04 PM.

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 7:37 PM

Thanks CydW for the queen's new title: Miss Interupty Pants!

Bwah! That is going to make me smile for days--esp. around 4 p.m. when MIPants comes on tv.

You think her BFF Gayle would have told her by now!

Sharpy

Sharpy

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 7:40 PM

She tried, she tried - but Oprah kept interrupting her.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 9:44 PM

Yah, the cutter was really disturbing- smearing the blood all over her face & such. I wonder what it must be like to film someone doing that- just watching them do that to themselves; I'd feel terrible & try to get them to stop!

I was also annoyed that O acted as if she invented the connection between sexual abuse & problems later in life- though I do give her credit for bringing up a taboo subject like that on her show.

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

Today was one of the few shows my hubsand watched. While O was interviewing the crackish former WH intern, he said let her finish answering, Oprah.

The cutter seemed to relish drama and attention. I couldn't believe how upset she was when the random guy called her a ho. Call him a ho right back and keep strutting.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 10:39 PM

I started watching this episode but found it so disturbing I had to stop watching. Can someone just tell the what's the former intern doing now (did she get clean) and also about the slasher?

ETA: Never mind - I went to O's site and went through the 'gallery' and read all about the women. My question now is: Did they really seem OK and rehabilitated? Are they working or living at home?

Edited by BibiBella, Apr 26, 2005 @ 10:47 PM.

TheSmell

TheSmell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 3:20 AM

Underneath all that money and celebrity gloss, she's just an ignorant jerk.

Describes Oprah perfectly. When she had those women on for the "Around the World" show, she had a chance to find out how our lives are different and how they're the same and the thing she's most interested in is that they say we're fat? What? Who gives a fuck?

Oprah, apparently.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 5:33 AM

I thought the point of Women Around the World was "Eww! OMG! People from other countries are so weird! You should be glad to be American, where people are normal." Because that's the vibe O was putting out there.