Oprah

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30201 replies to this topic

parrotslave

parrotslave

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:12 AM

I loved Oprah's new dieting technique.

Instead of eating Krispy Kremes, just rub them all over your face.

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

• Interests:So glad the writers strike is finally over! I have to admit that reality tv is my weakness. When I am not working at my new Marketing/ Pr job I devoted an obscene amount of time to watching TV/ reading about TV/ talking about TV...

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:24 PM

Was yesterday's show the beginning of her new season or an already aired show? I am trying to find out when the new season begins?!

Mya

Mya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

Was yesterday's show the beginning of her new season or an already aired show? I am trying to find out when the new season begins?!

The new season begins next week Monday or Tuesday.

funkymunky

funkymunky

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

Yesterday's show had the oddest assortment of guests I've ever seen. From the 9-11 security guard to the winner of the Pillsbury Bake Off.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the teaser and wasn't surprised to see something about 9/11...then the Pillsbury bake-off winner? WTF?

Back to the motherhood show: I remember seeing that episode, and clearly remember wanting to smack that one woman who said her kids never did a single thing wrong, never caused her any trouble, never threw tantrums, blahblahblahcakes. Bullshit. I don't even have kids and I know that's crazy. No child is that perfect. She must be delusional.

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

Yesterday's show was a repeat but I found I had to watch the interview again with the airline ticket agent who issued the boarding card to the hijackers on 9/11. That was one compelling interview and for once Oprah did not bug and let him tell his story for the most part.

That is one of those untold stories from 9/11 and it was just fascinating. I felt so bad for the guy and especially the fact that he blamed himself for the other ticket agent in Boston committing suicide.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

I watched when it first aired. I'll never forget that poor man.

badassspike

badassspike

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 9:46 PM

That is so sad about the 9/11 ticket agent.

I remember an ep that Oprah did that was kind of mixed. One was about this woman who gave her cats away to the SPCA after accumulating 30 of them. She kept the old cats who isn't going to live long. It was kind of sad to see the woman watch her cats being taken away. Then right after that Oprah said, "Up next, pole dancing 101." lol.

honeyb

honeyb

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 10:21 AM

I wish I'd seen the show with the ticket agent. Tom Brokaw did a special Sunday night talking to the air traffic controllers, those involved with tracking the hijacked planes and it was really enlightening since I never thought about the ATC's and the helplessness they felt in this situation. The ATC's in Newark could see the towers hit and go down. The ATC's in Cleveland (monitoring the plane that went down in PA) heard the verbal going back and forth, someone being killed, the hijackers yelling, etc. on that plane since the pilot left the mike on once the ATC's had notified all planes of hijackings.

Several ATC's said they are still haunted by it and that now they are hypervigilent looking for anything remotely related to terrorism. They said the hardest part was the helplessness (and some guilt too) since they're used to helping the planes travel safely and how they work to control the air.

These would be great guests for O to interview since I don't know how many people are aware of this 'back story' to 9/11 (or at least I wasn't, it just didn't occur to me).

Edited by honeyb, Sep 13, 2006 @ 10:27 AM.

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

• Interests:So glad the writers strike is finally over! I have to admit that reality tv is my weakness. When I am not working at my new Marketing/ Pr job I devoted an obscene amount of time to watching TV/ reading about TV/ talking about TV...

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 12:43 PM

The new season begins next week Monday or Tuesday.

Great! Thanks for letting me know! Is there any information about the guests that will be on that week?

honeyb

honeyb

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

TheNorth, I think one of the first shows is with former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevy who came out about a year ago (not sure of the date). He's written a book about all of this, (he was married twice and the 2nd time, he had a child with his now ex-wife. Not sure if there were kids from marriage #1). Not sure what other shows are up next week.

ETA: I saw a photo in the paper today (9/15) of O's first show - with former Gov. McGreevy and it looks like she's gone back to that over-sized cocker-spaniel hairdo or at least for that show. Not flattering, IMO.

The article about this episode said that the audience visibly cringed at the "too-much-information", salacious details McGreevy gave about his hidden gay life (too many sex details, that is, not about being gay and in the closet), but I'm sure that's been edited out or very little of it shown (from the audience's faces, that is). As an FYI, many in the NY/NJ area think the only reason he came out when it did was that his former lover was suing him for massive amounts of money; he had hired this guy - IIRC - as some type of homeland security person, yet it was (again, IIRC - I could be wrong) also shown that the guy was completely unqualified. There was, as I recall, some other stuff going on that was going to bring McGreevy down, so that's when he came out. I don't know if they'll get into that back story or not, but it is part of his coming out, IMO. And of course, his book debuts next week...

Edited by honeyb, Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:16 AM.

parrotslave

parrotslave

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 5:26 PM

I think today's repeat has to be one of the best weight-loss shows she has done. I'm going to have to tape it when it reruns tonight.

However, I think Oprah must have been drunk.

Over and over Dr. Oz would explain something very clearly and then Oprah would ask a question where the answer was what he had just described.

And why was Dr. Roizen sitting in the audience instead of on stage?

memememe

memememe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

Did I detect a wee bit of jealousy from Oprah when the woman who lost the weight came onto the stage? Oprah could barely break out a smile for her.

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 5:43 PM

I still have today's show saved on Tivo from it's original airing. It's wonderful and I really need to watch it again. And again....

Dahli

Dahli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

I watched it with my mouth literally hanging open... how could that woman who appeared to be educated but so utterly exhausted not get the cxn between her diet and her energy?

How can that even be real? I want to believe it wasnt' a set up but come on!

LynninMN

LynninMN

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:42 PM

Dahli, I am betting it was not a set up that she made no connection between her food intake and complete lack of energy. People just do not get that you can't eat super size meals of fats, heavy meats and bad carbs and half a liter of soda then wonder why you are falling asleep thirty minutes later! If people wrote down what they ate - and were really honest about it - they would be shocked at the calorie and fat consumption they inhale.

And God forbid they actually excercise......the real stuff that gets your heart pumping.

Edited by LynninMN, Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:44 PM.

badassspike

badassspike

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:54 PM

Over and over Dr. Oz would explain something very clearly and then Oprah would ask a question where the answer was what he had just described.

I thought she did it as a way to fill the show. On her interviews she asks the questions, guests answer. But then she wasn't asking any questions first, Dr. Oz did all the talking.

Dahli

Dahli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 11:04 PM

I'm still feeling stunned, but ok I'll take your word for that, :) but wouldn't this be a really good thing to introduce to schools? Nutrition/health and the connection between the two?

Why do I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone all of a sudden?

kasarah

kasarah

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 1:47 PM

I just watched Oprah after the show, and I really wasn't paying attention to the show until I heard Oprah call out her cousin in the audience. She then preceded to (I believe) humiliate her.

After she called her cousin out and said that the cousin and her mother raised her, the audience applauds, and the cousin is acting all shy. Oprah tells her not to cry or act shy, blah blah.

She then tells the audience that growing up, they were very poor and they didn't have any food. The cousin had a boyfriend who was mistreating her, and Oprah says she asked her why she was with him and the cousin replies, "because he gets us groceries". Oprah then goes on to say that she vowed then and there to never be the type of woman who would stay with a man who mistreated her because she felt she had no other options. She tied that up with a neat little bow by saying that her mother and cousin were her role models (I'm assuming on what type of woman to not be). Then, the show goes to commercial.

I felt bad for the woman. I understand what Oprah was saying, but damn... Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. I also think that this was the cousin who had the boyfriend that Oprah says she allowed to have his way with her sexually to spare her cousin beatings. It certainly would explain the subconsious (maybe) public smackdown.

Edited by kasarah, Sep 16, 2006 @ 1:51 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

TheNorth, I think one of the first shows is with former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevy who came out about a year ago (not sure of the date). He's written a book about all of this, (he was married twice and the 2nd time, he had a child with his now ex-wife. Not sure if there were kids from marriage #1). Not sure what other shows are up next week.

The McGreevy interview is scheduled for 9/19

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 4:12 PM

I felt bad for the woman. I understand what Oprah was saying, but damn...

I just watched it and thought the same thing. It was supposed to be a compliment, but it was such a diss.

Mya

Mya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:55 PM

Oprah's new season begins today but there are no new comments? Hee. Has anybody seen the show yet? I know it airs at 9am and 1pm in some areas. . .

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

I haven't seen it yet, bc it airs ar 4pm here. But I am going to try and catch it...the first is usually a good one to watch! I am not sure who the guests are or what the topic is, does anyone else know?

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

I am not sure who the guests are or what the topic is, does anyone else know?

Oprah and Gayle's road trip across the U.S.

There's a bit about it on Oprah's website. Oprah points out that she hasn't pumped gas since 1983.

Comments like that bug me.

MeerkatNotMink

MeerkatNotMink

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:21 PM

There's a bit about it on Oprah's website. Oprah points out that she hasn't pumped gas since 1983.

Comments like that bug me.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that in some cities (maybe some states) it's actually not legal for people to pump their own gas, so all the stations are full serve.

Not that I think O would be pumping gas otherwise...

kafski

kafski

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:24 PM

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that in some cities (maybe some states) it's actually not legal for people to pump their own gas, so all the stations are full serve.

I think it's just Oregon and NJ.

Gayle also said in the snippet that they're used to having drivers and not having to pump their own gas.

I should have clarified my orginal statement to include that.

I like Oprah, and I know that she's rich. Comments like the gas pumping just seem, what word am I looking for? Elitist? Snobby? Bitchy?

Edited by kafski, Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:52 PM.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:48 PM

Why do I get the feeling that this episode is going to be a snarkapalooza?

parrotslave

parrotslave

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 1:56 PM

My grandmother, who was not rich, used to brag about never pumping gas. When her car ran low she sent her husband to refill it.

She seemed to think being helpless and unable to fend for yourself were admirable qualities in a woman.

But then she also believed that the continent of Arctica existed at the North Pole and told us all about the explorers who discovered it.

kelkon

kelkon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 2:21 PM

I watched it -- it was the season premiere, after all.

I kind of zoned in and out for me, it wasn't emotionally gripping television. I guess I'm just not all that interested in watching Oprah and Gayle motoring around the U.S. I did like how Gayle was getting under Oprah's skin with her encyclopedic knowledge of the lyrics to every song played on a smooth rock station. That, and the exasperation of trying to find a grocery store in Vegas.

I also liked the brief piece on the staff trip to Hawaii. Say what you want, that is one cool boss. When I went to the taping a couple of weeks ago, someone asked about it, and the producer said it was A LOT of fun.

njbarmaid

njbarmaid

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 2:34 PM

I live in NJ and it's in the local papers how McGreevey's "lover" is disputing the book version of their affair. Cipel claims he was assaulted and harassed.

I will have to wait until tomorrow to see the "official" version.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 5:09 PM

I thought today's show was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV all year. Loved Gayle singing along with Celine Dion juxtaposed with Oprah bitching about Gayle's singing, Gayle wanting to say "Hey" to the "brothers in the BMW" and Oprah having merging anxiety.

Looks like this week is going to be a mix of shows, with today being the "Oprah is real" ep, tomorrow being the ground-breaking news ep, and Wednesday and Thursday being the annoying celebrity eps. I don't mind the celeb eps when I'm a fan of the celebrities or if it's a rare interview (loved seeing Faith and Tim last year), but didn't Oprah just have Matthew McConaughey on?