The Facts of Life

• Please log in to reply

1697 replies to this topic

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Just finished the Starstruck episode-- you know, the one where Tootie stops doing anything in her life not related to Jermaine Jackson, and then everyone gets super pissed off at her-- and OMG, why did no one tell me what a hot mess it was? Tootie quite literally having a nervous breakdown after Mrs. Garrett tells her she's not allowed to go to the JJ concert, JJ's green sequined costume and his gigantic bulge (seriously, he was packing), JJ being completely unable to act, and the entire end of the episode focusing on what a farce fame is. It was all soooooooo bad, it was good.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I rewatched an episode yesterday that I had completely forgotten about that was really good. Blair took an interest in Roy's friend who happened to be retarted. When she found out she still wanted to continue to hang out with him. Reminded me why I love this show so much, I loved how they tackled all kinds of issues in the first 5-6 seasons. After Ms. Garrett left they still covered issues but it became more of a typical sitcom.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I loved watching Mindy and wish I could see more of her on television.

She's been on the current season of Secret Life of the American Teenager playing the mother of Ben's latest love interest.

I love how in Starstruck, the girls are disappointed that Tootie isn't holding up to her end of the bargain to make scarves for the scholarship fair because "her scarves are everyone's favorite part." Was this a fair for Victorian orphans?

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I love how in Starstruck, the girls are disappointed that Tootie isn't holding up to her end of the bargain to make scarves for the scholarship fair because "her scarves are everyone's favorite part." Was this a fair for Victorian orphans?

Hee! Tootie was totally at fault for not making the scarves in advance since she had already committed herself to it, but I hated that everyone was so unreasonable when it came to her going to the concert. If someone called me on the phone and told me that Anderson Cooper wanted me in his audience because he had heard that I was his #1 fan, you can bet that I would drop all prior commitments and get to the studio. For Mrs. Garrett and the rest of the girls to be so unreasonable seemed unfair. Not to mention that Tootie was probably 13 or 14 at the time so of course she was excited that her idol wanted her in the audience of a sold out concert in NYC.

Edited by Stinger97, Jun 17, 2012 @ 10:13 AM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I hated that everyone was so unreasonable when it came to her going to the concert. If someone called me on the phone and told me that Anderson Cooper wanted me in his audience because he had heard that I was his #1 fan, you can bet that I would drop all prior commitments and get to the studio. For Mrs. Garrett and the rest of the girls to be so unreasonable seemed unfair. Not to mention that Tootie was probably 13 or 14 at the time so of course she was excited that her idol wanted her in the audience of a sold out concert in NYC.

Haha. I see your point. Thinking realistically and remembering how I was as a teen, I would want to go to see my number one celebrity too and to hell with making scarves.

As for the show and the lessons they were trying to show, I think Mrs. G. and particularly the girls were trying to teach Tootie that it wasn't that she couldn't go to the concert, but she needed to fulfill her obligation. None of the other girls would be allowed to get away with it, why should Tootie? She should have committed herself to the scarves as she promised. Had she finished those scarves, she could then miss the fundraiser and go to the concert. The girls, being a bit older, knew that when you promise to do something, you should be held accountable to make sure it gets done. Tootie being so young, still had the mindset that if something comes up that she wants, then by all means nothing else mattered or someone else could fulfill her obligation. Mrs. G's reasoning that Tootie was some sort of super fan who might go off the edge and do something drastic didn't fly with me - not then and not now. If the situation was that bad and she feared Tootie might do something drastic, then Mrs. G. should have telephoned Tootie's parents and put that situation in their hands.

Was this a fair for Victorian orphans?

LOL Nope. Just for orphans who live in an area that can get real cold during the winter months.

Edited by kemon, Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

As for the show and the lessons they were trying to show, I think Mrs. G. and particularly the girls were trying to teach Tootie that it wasn't that she couldn't go to the concert, but she needed to fulfill her obligation. None of the other girls would be allowed to get away with it, why should Tootie? She should have committed herself to the scarves as she promised. Had she finished those scarves, she could then miss the fundraiser and go to the concert. The girls, being a bit older, knew that when you promise to do something, you should be held accountable to make sure it gets done. Tootie being so young, still had the mindset that if something comes up that she wants, then by all means nothing else mattered or someone else could fulfill her obligation.

I dunno...I agree and disagree. I get Mrs. G's point, but A) it WAS a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing, not like Tootie was blowing off her previous commitment to go to the movies with a new boy, and B) the other girls were older, but not THAT much older that they wouldn't do the same thing under the right circumstances (in real life, at least, heh). That's just how teens are...and adults, for that matter. In my experience, if you were having a fair like that, I would hardly expect everyone to committed to making items or volunteering their time to actually see the project through, and that would most likely be for way flimsier reasons than Tootie's.

Happy Radio

Happy Radio

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

WOW!! It looks like Lisa's dream of being on "Survivor" has finally come true! A "Survivor" spoiler site has her listed as a contestant for the season airing this fall (in Phillipines).

http://www.survivorf...t/s25_cast.html

More evidence: Lisa's twitter fell silent during the month of March, then she posted this photo on May 10th, looking slimmer and VERY tanned.

http://img.ly/i8or

This is awesome! (assuming it's true) I loved Survivor when it first came on the air (addicted, really), but could never get into subsequent seasons, and stopped watching after Season 2. But I will DEFINITELY watch this one! And I'm really happy for Lisa....she's been talking about this for a few years.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

I didn't know she was a Survivor fan. She'll probably be pretty good at it because she has a sense of humor and seems down-to-earth.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Interesting. Am I actually going to have to tune into Survivor out of curiosity?

On the stupid Jermaine Jackson episode that I go out of my way to avoid when it's on, I don't have a problem with Mrs. Garrett letting Tootie go to the concert. Though Tootie's whining was off the wall ridiculous. The whining is forever why she will always be my least favorite FOL character. Though realistically, wouldn't it be up to Tootie's actual parents as to whether she is allowed to attend the concert?

But I do believe that Tootie should have been accountable for whatever items she promised to provide for the fair. Looking past the idea that supposedly her scarves were supposed to be the hit of the fair, if she promised a certain number to be sold at a legit school function, then she should have gotten her work done or faced the consequences when she didn't deliver. In this case the consequences were rather minor of just having her friends be mad at her for a few minutes. Since the concert itself came up at the last minute it's not like the concert is what caused Tootie to not deliver on her promise. And I have officially spent too much time thinking about an episode of FOL.

Edited by spanana, Jun 27, 2012 @ 6:56 PM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

That's awesome news about
Spoiler
on Survivor! I have a feeling she'll either go really far because people remember her and are fond of her, or she'll be forced to bow out early because people think she's a threat and doesn't need the money. Either way, I'll be tuning in for it!

Though realistically, wouldn't it be up to Tootie's actual parents as to whether she is allowed to attend the concert?

Yea. I think realistically the Ramsays would have had to have signed off on Tootie going to the concert, as it was off school grounds and not a school sanctioned activity. Otherwise they would have had to take her themselves. Mrs. Garrett was well within her rights to tell Tootie no, since she was the one taking Tootie to the city and chaperoning the whole deal. I doubt Mrs. G got paid enough for that!

But I do believe that Tootie should have been accountable for whatever items she promised to provide for the fair. Looking past the idea that supposedly her scarves were supposed to be the hit of the fair, if she promised a certain number to be sold at a legit school function, then she should have gotten her work done or faced the consequences when she didn't deliver. In this case the consequences were rather minor of just having her friends be mad at her for a few minutes. Since the concert itself came up at the last minute it's not like the concert is what caused Tootie to not deliver on her promise. And I have officially spent too much time thinking about an episode of FOL.

Mrs. Garrett should have let Tootie go to the concert (as she did), and then, once they got back to Eastland, disciplined her for not finishing the scarves. It wasn't the concert that prevented Tootie from finishing them, it was her procrastination and the fact that she was preoccupied with the JJ fan club.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I have a feeling she'll either go really far because people remember her and are fond of her, or she'll be forced to bow out early because people think she's a threat and doesn't need the money.

Interesting point. I surprised that they didn't do a full on celeb edition of Survivor. I would tune back in for that. Like you Happy Radio, I watched the first season then bowed out. I did enjoy it, though. There is a MLB player there as well. Maybe they will say they will donate the money to charity?

Edited by nicole8705, Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

They tended to ignore the parent angle more often than not and have Mrs. Garrett making decisions about what the girls were and were not allowed to do. Mind you I suppose we are to fanwank that their parents all trusted Mrs. G enough to let her make the day to day decisions about the girls (curfews, punishments and etc., but as far as I know she had no legal rights to act as their guardian. I mean, I suppose when they were at Eastland she was acting in offical Eastland capacity to some degree. Though Tootie & Natalie lived with Mrs. G off campus when they were still under 18.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 5:22 AM

Mind you I suppose we are to fanwank that their parents all trusted Mrs. G enough to let her make the day to day decisions about the girls (curfews, punishments and etc., but as far as I know she had no legal rights to act as their guardian. I mean, I suppose when they were at Eastland she was acting in official Eastland capacity to some degree.

I think it is just an en loco parentis type situation. For all intents and purposes, Mrs. G. is a stand in for the parents while the girls are at school. She can make most parental decisions on the day to day stuff, and wouldn't involve the parents unless it was something big (like when Jo considered eloping with her boyfriend, I think Mrs. G. called Jo's mother to get her down there).

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

The Hub showed The Facts of Life Goes to Paris this past week and it was as bad as I remember. I love The Facts of Life Down Under much more.

Jessie Q

Jessie Q

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

TV Time Capsule: Facts of Life Goes to Paris

I sometimes still pronounce "David" with a French accent solely because of Facts of Life Goes to Paris... I was an impressionable 12 year old!

vanillamountain

vanillamountain

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

Though Tootie's whining was off the wall ridiculous.

I completely agree. Kim Fields became a better actress as the series went on - but for a while there, she was unbearable. I don't know why the producers kept giving her so many "dramatic" scenes, because they certainly weren't her strong suit. Lisa Whelchel and Nancy McKeon were much stronger actresses.

That being said, "Runaway," the third season episode where Tootie meets Christy (the teen prostitute) in New York City will always be one of my guilty pleasures. Kim Fields' acting wasn't too bad in that one - although like some of the other posters have mentioned upthread, I hate that Mrs. Garret and the girls don't even bother to help the girl at the end. They pick up Tootie and take her home, and then poof! They disappear, and poor Christy is left to get her face beaten in by her pimp.

I know the producers were looking for a dramatic ending, but damn.

Edited by vanillamountain, Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:07 PM.

Jessie Q

Jessie Q

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

That being said, "Runaway," the third season episode where Tootie meets Christy (the teen prostitute) in New York City will always be one of my guilty pleasures.

Me too! Of course, from my sheltered small-town Wisconsin vantage point, I was fascinated by the mean streets of New York City (must have read Fran Arrick's Steffie Can't Come Out to Play about a hundred times).

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Mrs. Garrett should have let Tootie go to the concert (as she did), and then, once they got back to Eastland, disciplined her for not finishing the scarves. It wasn't the concert that prevented Tootie from finishing them, it was her procrastination and the fact that she was preoccupied with the JJ fan club.

I would think if Tootie was not completing a school assignment or several assignments due to her procrastination and preoccupation with the fan club, no teacher or Mrs. Garrett would think it would be okay for her to attend a concert. The teacher(s) would not care if Tootie was wanting to go to a concert and she was supposedly Jermaine's number one fan. They would just give Tootie a failing grade for incomplete assignments. Tootie would suffer the ramifications of not doing her school work and I would suppose that would be for her parents to deal with just as I would think it would be up to her parents to deal with Tootie going to a concert, not Mrs. Garrett. Mrs. G. should have been on the phone with Tootie's parent and explained the tantrum she threw and the threat she made about going to the concert and how concerned she was about the situation. I don't believe Mrs. G. was given the power to allow a child to go to a concert after throwing a hissy fit.

Great news about Lisa. I am a huge Survivor fan and look forward to watching her on there.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Only FOL could send their characters to Paris, then write them into a story about them having an intervention for a washed up, alcoholic writer they just happened upon at a cafe. I mean, that's pretty amazing.

I'd also like to point out that none of the French men they cast here were very attractive. French accents only go so far.

Blair was so fierce and fabulous back in the day. It almost hurts for me to think that she's so against homosexuality nowadays.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Only FOL could send their characters to Paris, then write them into a story about them having an intervention for a washed up, alcoholic writer they just happened upon at a cafe. I mean, that's pretty amazing.

I dislike the Paris movie so very much, though I liked the later Australia one, cheesy as it was. At least that one had a sense of fun about it, which the Paris one lacked.

But the above always bothered me so much. I know you have to suspend reality a bit for any of these shows, but the fact that Natalie & Tootie are essentially allowed to run around Paris for a week (maybe less) with a middle aged man was kind of odd and troubling. At that point since they had run away from the school they were technically in Mrs. Garrett's care once again and she was seemingly so wrapped up in her own life that she didn't really seem to give a crap about what the girls were actually doing. It was only at the end that she sort of freaked out about Jo having run off on her own and how she was so worried about her, but at least in Jo's case she was a little older and a bit more street smart than the other two.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Weren't the scarves that Tootie was supposed to make to sell at that carnival to help with tuition for a girl to be able to attend Eastland and the reason that Jo was so upset was that she was that girl who benefited from that tuition the year before?

Also, I know that Mrs. G was specifically in charge of Tootie, Blair, Jo and Natalie due to what had happened to make them roomies/cafeteria help in the first place but, honestly, this was really the time to call Tootie's parents and get them directly involved.

Blair was so fierce and fabulous back in the day. It almost hurts for me to think that she's so against homosexuality nowadays.

p.s.
Spoiler

edited to add: I had a link to her website on her "enlightened" views on homosexuality and how it can be cured but she has since revamped her site and it's no longer there.

Edited by marsha, Aug 21, 2012 @ 10:29 AM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Welchel is free to believe what she wants. And I am free to genuinely hope with all of my heart that
Spoiler

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 11, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.
Added spoiler tags

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Weren't the scarves that Tootie was supposed to make to sell at that carnival to help with tuition for a girl to be able to attend Eastland and the reason that Jo was so upset was that she was that girl who benefited from that tuition the year before?

Yea, that was exactly the reason Jo was so upset. That didn't explain why Tootie's scarves were such a hit, though.

Fuck you, Welchel.
p.s.
Spoiler

Is it wrong that, even though I'm a gay man,
Spoiler

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Hey, I don't hold a lot of Hollywood's liberal views against them, so I can't hold Lisa's views against her. I will be
Spoiler

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 11, 2012 @ 10:38 PM.
Added spoiler bars

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Hey, I don't hold a lot of Hollywood's liberal views against them, so I can't hold Lisa's views against her.

It isn't liberal or conervative. It is actively holding hateful views that people can be fixed that is the problem.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Hey, I don't hold a lot of Hollywood's liberal views against them, so I can't hold Lisa's views against her.

It isn't liberal or conervative. It is actively holding hateful views that people can be fixed that is the problem.

Bingo!

That said, I still have great memories of watching FOL during its original run, syndication and now on DVD (all of which I own and hope they someday release the rest of the series). I always felt that one of the strengths of the series was the wonderful chemistry between the characters and how, though not related, they formed a family. It just saddens me that she (or anyone) could honestly feel this way. No matter how many times you hear it or read it ... it still hurts.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

One of the biggest WTF moments for me in the Paris movie -- and of course, there were many -- is that Natalie and Tootie IMMEDIATELY recognized the author. There wasn't even a moment of hesitation, like, "OMG, Tootie? Am I totally crazy, or is that AuthorWhoever?" (I totally forgot who he was supposed to be...) And Tootie would say something like, "Nah, couldn't be...but wait! Yeah, it kinda does look like him!" etc. But no, on TV/movies, people always instantly recognize the celebrity in question. (On rare occasions when they assume incorrectly, it turns out to be essential to the plot for Wacky Hijinks.)

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Until the
Spoiler
is a spoiler, so please use the tags. Then, take
Spoiler
Thanks.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

One of my favorite episodes, Read No Evil, showed up during the mini marathon today. It's the one in which four books are banned from Eastland's library and Natatlie, being the resident bookworm and editor of the school newspaper, decides to take a stand against the school board's actions. Mrs. Garrett gets involved as well when she's also outraged by the turn of events but is then dissuaded from speaking up about the situation by Mr. Parker. As for why it's my favorite, I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not a particularly funny episode (though Tootie's anecdote about "the old man and his garden" is a highlight), but I think what resonates with me is that the issue is still pertinent today.

It's also interesting to me to think that a show featuring four teenage girls could have ever been so popular. Nowadays the closest thing to FOL would only be found on Nickelodeon or Disney. No way would a broadcast network touch something like this. And that's a bummer, because I could totally see it being popular with kids on Friday nights.

One of the biggest WTF moments for me in the Paris movie -- and of course, there were many -- is that Natalie and Tootie IMMEDIATELY recognized the author. There wasn't even a moment of hesitation, like, "OMG, Tootie? Am I totally crazy, or is that AuthorWhoever?" (I totally forgot who he was supposed to be...) And Tootie would say something like, "Nah, couldn't be...but wait! Yeah, it kinda does look like him!" etc. But no, on TV/movies, people always instantly recognize the celebrity in question.

Actually, I think Natatlie recognized him right away, but Tootie was like, "Um, who the hell is he?" when he was pointed out. His name was Garth Kiley, but he told Nat and Tootie to call him "GK" for short.

Edited by Stinger97, Jul 11, 2012 @ 11:04 PM.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

"It's also interesting to me to think that a show featuring four teenage girls could have ever been so popular. Nowadays the closest thing to FOL would only be found on Nickelodeon or Disney. No way would a broadcast network touch something like this. And that's a bummer, because I could totally see it being popular with kids on Friday nights."

This show could do so much for young girls. My husband will somtimes make fun of my love for FOL but, what do I care. I think you are right this show could never be shown things have changed so much.
Runaway was my fav episode too. I also was obsessed with NYC (ohio kid here).

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Jul 13, 2012 @ 4:18 PM.
Tags