The Facts of Life

• Please log in to reply

1697 replies to this topic

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

The Hub has it coming to the network in April! That's awesome that it's on two channels now when it's been MIA for so many years.

CrimsonTide4

CrimsonTide4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Good to know that! I like the very first season, the one with Molly Ringwald and the other girl, forget her name, who super-over-acted and said something like "I am SueAnn from Kansas City, Kansas!" She said that all the time.

This week they've been showing eps from season 3.

The Hub has it coming to the network in April! That's awesome that it's on two channels now when it's been MIA for so many years.

Sweet!

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Is TeenNick editing the hell outta the show?

4 a.m. on the west coast? I guess I will have to DVR the show.

I have the Hub channel, but I notice the Hub edits the hell outta other shows such as Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. I guess FOL, even with a lot of edits is better than nothing. What time will it air on the Hub?

Edited by kemon, Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I have the Hub channel, but I notice the Hub edits the hell outta other shows such as Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. I guess FOL, even with a lot of edits is better than nothing. What time will it air on the Hub?

I don't think they've announced it yet.

Happy Radio

Happy Radio

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Yes TeenNick is editing the hell out of it - the cuts are glaringly obvious (to me, anyway). For example in "Growing Pains" (Tootie gets ahold of Blair's wine) they chopped the hell out of that first scene in the girls' room. All the dialogue about Tootie's summer camp and playing Baron Von Trapp was cut....which would be okay, except that later in the episode, references are made to it. Similarly, in the final scene, when the girls try to convince Mrs. G to punish them (and leave the principal out of it), all of the girls' "bargaining" dialogue was cut (i.e. "ground us for two weeks," "make it a month", "and no dates", "and no tv"). It jumps from Mrs. G saying,"I don't think I could be severe enough" and Tootie's reply, "sure you could - we trust you" to Mrs. G suddenly standing up and saying, "okay, grounded for a month...no tv....no dates." Awful! It wrecked the scene! The timing was all off and it wasn't nearly as funny.

Four Musketeers aired today and they wrecked the first scene in the bathroom (which was a great piece of physical comedy). The scene began with Blair using her hair dryer to poof her hair -- all that came before it (elbowing for position, Blair trying to put on mascara, Jo leaning over to spit out her mouthwash) was cut. It's difficult to watch when you know what SHOULD be there.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Thank you Happy Radio. It really sounds like FOL is getting some shitty editing. That bathroom scene is a classic scene. It is even in the opening credits of one of the seasons, right?

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

I'm so happy this show is finally making a comeback on TV! Now if only Sony would release seasons 6-9, then I'd be in heaven :)

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

All the editing is because they have to cram another 6 or 7 minutes of commercials into the 30 minute time frame. It's stupid and screws up shows for those of us who know what's missing.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Happy to hear FoL is coming to the Hub, since the last time I watched it, it was on retro TV on-demand on Comcast. But not happy about the edits. TV Guide channel edits programs horribly. But, it's better than nothing. I loved this show. :)

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Just the other day, this show popped in my head. Lo and behold, I come here and see a Facts Of Life thread (never knew there was one), and learn Teenick is airing it at 7. Now, I have another childhood show I can watch while getting ready for work. Boy Meets World over at ABC Family has ran its course.

Just the other day, this show popped in my head. Lo and behold, I come here and see a Facts Of Life thread (never knew there was one), and learn Teenick is airing it at 7. Now, I have another childhood show I can watch while getting ready for work. Boy Meets World over at ABC Family has ran its course.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

TeenNick (formerly The N) also has a horrible track record of "skipping" episodes with material that they think is inappropriate, like the episode of Degrassi Next Generation where a character gets an abortion, or the episode of Daria where she considers having sex with her boyfriend. I'm betting that for FoL, "The Source" and the episode where Natalie loses her virginity will never see the light of day on that channel.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

I'm betting that for FoL, "The Source" and the episode where Natalie loses her virginity will never see the light of day on that channel.

Given Degrassi has been pretty open about their characters having sex and TeenNick has aired them, I can't see how they would then skip that particular FoL episode.

Happy Radio

Happy Radio

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Aww.....Kim Fields tweeted this yesterday:

Hey Fam, please join me in wishing a SUPER Happy Birthday to my wonderful and amazing friend, Nancy McKeon!!!! She really does ROCK!!!!!!!!
12:11pm - 4 Apr 12

CrimsonTide4

CrimsonTide4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

Teen Nick took it off of their line up sometime last week, but HUB added it; it comes on at 9:30PM EST and 3:30AM EST.

navywife1994

navywife1994

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

It's nice to see FOL on HUB but they have so many commercials and skip a lot of stuff. Would be nice to actually see it how it was shown way back when. At least we can still see it though.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

I have been trying to watch FOL on Hub. The 12:30 a.m. schedule is a bit late for me.

One thing I was always bothered about the first season of FOL was how sexy the Blair character was made to be considering her age and considering her religious background. I wondered how it was her parents were okay with how the character was made to dress for a girl so young. There was also the other girls who wore short shorts, but overall it was the Blair character who stood out IMO. I always wondered if some creepy perv was getting his thrills while watching the first season.

I was glad when the second season rolled around to see the contrast in the Blair character. It made for a better character.

Daybreak

Daybreak

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

One thing I was always bothered about the first season of FOL was how sexy the Blair character was made to be considering her age and considering her religious background. I wondered how it was her parents were okay with how the character was made to dress for a girl so young.

I saw Lisa Welchel speak a few years ago about her days on "Facts" and she said that her parents, along with her sibling(s), lived in Texas while she (@ 16) lived in LA with a rotating staff of college girls acting a "nannies". I got the inpression that her parents weren't too concerned about her charachter's image. I'll see if I can find anything on youtube for reference.

Edited by Daybreak, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

She lived with her grandmother in a studio apartment during part of her career, too. But I don't know which years those were.

dawn9476

dawn9476

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Been watching FOL on the Hub. Was creeped out by the howls from a few in the audience when Blair expressed her crush/hero worship for Mr. Bradley. I doubt that would fly today. Those howls would be edited out of the scene.

Edited by dawn9476, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:25 AM.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

Mr. Bradley was a dreamy fox. I didn't blame Blair one bit. I wished Mr. Bradley was able to stay on. I actually thought he and Mrs. Garrett had a bit of chemistry.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:55 AM

Oh, season 1 was a virtual cornucopia of weirdness. I love it. I liked Mr. Bradley too. I never understood why they didn't keep him around as headmaster. It wouldn't have killed the show to have a more steady male presence.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

It really bugged me, the way TPTB packaged Seasons 1 and 2 together on DVD, so you couldn't buy one without the other. As it was, I didn't watch S1...I literally could not.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Kim has a role in the film "What to Expect When You're Expecting." Here's the clip that Kim tweeted: http://bcove.me/nb3362bh Nice to see her in a feature film.

DoxieMama

DoxieMama

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Anyone watching Mindy and Kim on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live tonight? Mindy just comes off as so relaxed and cool, Kim is coming off a little high strung. Great to see them together again. Would love to hear if anyone else saw this and what they thought.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I caught WWL. I agree, Mindy seemed very relaxed and Kim seemed a little uncomfortable. I still would like to know if Mindy is actually a godmother to one of the Jolie-Pitt children (she pleaded the fifth on that question).

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 4:32 AM

Mindy seemed very relaxed and Kim seemed a little uncomfortable.

High strung and uncomfortable seems to be Kim's default setting for every single FOL-related interview I've ever seen her in. Can't figure out why. Maybe FOL is a constant reminder of a less than happy period in her life?

DoxieMama

DoxieMama

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Makes me wonder why she agrees to do these types of things. FOL related topics are going to come up, especially if she is appearing with another cast member. She just seemed so on edge, from the moment Andy offered her a drink until the end. Now I'm curious.

BessieLimpet

BessieLimpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Maybe Kim was uncomfortable because she caught a glimpse of her hair in the mirror right before the show started.

love21

love21

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

I only saw the two clips shown on the Bravo website but some of the questions make Mindy squirm a little too. I agree though, Kim looked like she didn't want to be there.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

That hair of Kim's on WWHL was definitely not doing her any favors.

I loved watching Mindy and wish I could see more of her on television.