American Chopper

• Please log in to reply

672 replies to this topic

BruceMO

BruceMO

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:46 AM

I dunno... Senior was the one that was overextended enough that he had to threaten bankruptcy because of that ridiculous headquarters building. Looks like Junior got exactly enough building for what he needs, plus he's renting, so if he shuts down PJD, he's not left holding the bag on the mortgage. He was also smart enough to pull the plug on his wife's boutique when the economy went in the crapper. I think Junior will be OK... If I was working at OCC, I'd be making sure I had a little socked away in case the job went away.

eddieD

eddieD

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

my god j. james is a complete TOOL. He spends all his time saying how he hates build offs and how much better he is than everyone else. why the F did you sign up to be in the build off if you don't care? He acts like a 10 year old... big baby! Just take your ball and go home! DI*KHEAD!!!!!!!!

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Jesse James is a tool and his bike looked like the radioactive mutant monster baby of a chopper and street bike. Not cute. Senior's bike was ok in profile, but gross from the front. It looked like a dirt bike on steriods. I'm hoping the repeat win will cause Senior to reevaluate Junior's skills as a designer. Junior was also pretty savvy in requiring him and his team to wear the Susan G. Komen tees. I know that they (Susan G. Komen) have fallen a bit out of favor, but rocking the tees and the swag throughout the build probably helped to make it seem like the PJD team was doing this more than just for ego. And I love the Gas Monkey guys (and it's a testament to how terrible James' and Senior's bikes were that they allowed"Fred" come in second), but Gas Monkey was in some completely different competition, which was about restoring a bike.

Gelpen

Gelpen

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I love the Gas Monkey guys, too, because they rent our back building (we have an auto repair shop, with 2 buildings on the property), and my husband is sometimes shown on their show, "Fast n' Loud." My husband even did a little bit of work on "Fred" (and they built Fred in our shop).

Jesse James is the most arrogant guy I think I've ever heard, anywhere. My husband was out there for the Vegas show and met Paul Jr. and said he seemed like a decent enough guy. But apparently every time Jesse James passed by any of the Gas Monkey crew, he called them faggots and mouthed off about them. What a baby.

I think Paul Jr's bike was done more or less on time, and I know for a fact that Aaron got the Gas Monkey bike running and ready on November 2nd (the original deadline) before midnight, because my husband was standing there taking a video of it when he fired it up. What I really hated was not only did Jesse James bring his bike late, but nobody pointed out just HOW late it was. It wasn't 2 weeks late ... It was FIVE weeks late. The original deadline was for a 6-week build. He took almost twice as long as they were given, and was cheeky enough to sit there and say outright on the show last night that he knew when the contest was, and that was how long he was going to take to build his bike. Meanwhile, Aaron literally slept in the back of my husband's 1951 Ford half the time, working basically around the clock trying to meet that deadline.

Jr's bike was very attractive and cool looking, but for me, he summed it up best when he himself said "it would look right at home in a car museum." It's not a bike you'd ride very often, if at all. It's a piece of art.

Gas Monkey treated the competition like the old chopper build-offs, where the whole point was to start with a motorcycle and chop it. That's what Aaron did, and I wish they'd shown more of the actual welding/fabricating he did to get that bike to look like it does now. Jr. and Sr. have huge staffs and lots of fancy equipment, so you'd expect their efforts to be elaborate, but what Aaron did was build a bike he could ride to Vegas and keep riding after the contest. Looking forward to seeing Fred back in Dallas tomorrow (ETA: Apparently, Discovery is keeping Fred, at least for now).

My husband told me that he had heard today that Paul Jr. got something like 50% of the vote last night, Gas Monkey came in second, then Jesse James, then Sr. (ETA: I just saw the numbers on a Web site, and it was 58% for PJD, 20% for GMG, 13% for Jesse, and 9% for Paul Sr. ... Wait, that wasn't the Discovery site I got those from after all; it was some other TV site, so I don't know if they are "official" or not.)

Edited by Gelpen, Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:23 PM.

jackhammer6681

jackhammer6681

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

Not a big fan of Gas Monkey. I get the feeling that he'd sell you a piece of crap with a new coat of paint on it just to make a buck.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Honestly, I kind of like Jesse James, I think he's funny. I can't deny he's a bit of an a-hole, certainly, but I think a lot of what he says is intended to be humor.

Also, it's pretty clear that on these Chopper Live shows, the contestants are encouraged to stir things up and do a lot of trash talking. Compared to the old Biker Build Off shows, where the builders were always very respectful and complimentary of their competition, at least once the bikes were built.

njpoz

njpoz

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

That was one of my frustrations with the build off. I have no interest in obviously staged and scripted "pranks". I want to see the craftsmanship that goes into building the bikes. That's probably a less accessible form of drama, but it's what I find interesting about shows like American Chopper.

BruceMO

BruceMO

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

The ending was pretty obvious.

Jesse James was never going to win because of being a loudmouth A-hole. Senior for the same reason, although he has improved. Gas Monkey couldn't win, because although they customized a nice bike, it was really nothing special. They got second place for not being jerks.

I thought the two best or most interesting bikes were Junior and Senior, they were about equal, and it depended on which one fit your taste more.

The advantage Junior has had is that he is acutely aware of his image, and even if he is a raging a-hole in real life (I don't know whether he is or isn't), you will never see being a raging A-hole on camera. Also, I think he is deeply committed to his Christianity (Witness the PJD-777 shirts, etc.), and with being a committed Christian comes behavior standards. I am saying that as someone who is not religious, but I can respect Paul Jr.'s faith and how he lives it out, at least on camera.

eddieD

eddieD

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

yes that might be true bruceMO, but then if jr is only being a good christian on camera then he is only playing a part for image sake, and thus a fake.
I have no problem with jr for the most part, but if he is pretending to be someone else then he sucks... where else in his life might he be a calculated fake? a son, a husband, a brother and maybe later a father...
I would not call that a tactic of a "commited christian"
I think the show ending will give a much needed perspective to jr and sr. years later when people no longer fall at their popular feet to gravel for approval, will they realize what is really important in life. Money and fame is not one of them.....

Edited by eddieD, Dec 17, 2012 @ 8:25 PM.

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Well the finale was obviously thrown together very quickly. Not sure what I expected but it was a let down.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

'Orange County Choppers' and Paul Senior Are Back at it With a Brand New Series on CMT

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 8:07 AM

I knew it!

shschon

shschon

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

The idiot cake decorators already ran out of cash and are back suckling the faked-reality teat...