American Chopper

• Please log in to reply

672 replies to this topic

BruceMO

BruceMO

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 3:21 AM

I don't get the whole Jesse James thing. He has always seemed to be nothing but a loudmouth jerk, and when Sandra Bullock married him my respect for her went down a few notches.

As far as his bike goes, it looked uncomfortable as hell to ride, so it was hardly more of a rider than Junior's bike. I'd rather gas up every 25 miles than ride something that forced me to bend in half. If anyone watched the old "Biker Build-off" series, any number of those guys, particularly Billy Lane, Indian Larry and Ron Finch built bikes that put Jesse James bike to shame.

I guess I wasn't the only one to notice that the OCC thing really only went around in circles. I guess it's a cool toy, but it's not a motorcycle.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

And OCC? WTF? Sr acknowledged early that they weren't going to be winning any popularity contests, but it would've been nice to see them try to compete anyway.

Yeah, it was pretty clear Senior realized that his popularity was low and that OCC had no chance to win.
As such, I respect that he at least had the guts to enter the competition.
The only problem was that they didn't even try.

Since Jesse's bike looked difficult to ride and was somewhat plain, OCC might have even challenged for second place if they had actually built a bike.

badhaggis

badhaggis

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 1:22 AM

Ive never thought much of Jesse James, or for Senior for that matter. Senior should really be ashamed that he has said some of the things that he has about Junior. But JJ has been a total, complete, cosmic, galactic, flaming, blistering douchebag a-hole. And to top it all off, after running his suck throughout this whole thing...He lost!! Karma is a B1tch aint it?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 5:54 AM

All that OCC thing (I hesitate to call it a "bike") proved to me is something I already knew--that Jason Poole is an idiot. Nuff said.

As far as JJ? I wasn't surprised he was constantly being a loudmouth jerk. I think he PICKED that portrayal as a hook to try and drum up some interest in him for a new show. He knows nobody is going to like him anyway, after cheating on "America's Sweetheart" with a series of skanky women, so he played up the a-hole even more. What DID surprise me was how lame the bike was. I mean just on the face of things, his whole "cake decorator" accusation against OCC and PDJ isn't totally untrue. Ultimately the "best bike in the world", whoever actually COULD build it, is going to be a functional one, not some blinged out theme bike. That said, what JJ did was shit. Who could ride that bike? An ape with arms long enough to overcome the weird seat position? A contortionist who could ride for more than 2 minutes with their body bent like a pretzel? Who?

Of the three, PJDs was the best. But that's not saying much. One of these days I'd like to see Junior do the most functional bike possible and see if he can beautify THAT. That will be a challenge.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Dec 11, 2011 @ 5:57 AM.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 3:10 AM

Why the hell would anybody choose to be associated with Donald Trump?

Oh that's right, the money. I still don't think it's worth it to prostitute yourself to one of the worst people in the world. OCC must be getting really desperate.

ETA: Jason Poole thinks that Trump is a "really great guy"? Nobody believes that, Jason.

Edited by Not Lenny, Feb 14, 2012 @ 3:13 AM.

edhopper

edhopper

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

I loved that "The Donald" claimed Trump Tower is one of the most visited tourist sites in NY. I live in NY and NOBODY goes there. What a complete tool.

I also find it sad that Sr still doesn't get why Jr is mad at him.
"The day I made him a millionaire he walked out."
No Paul, his cycle designs made YOU a millionaire and then you fired your own son.
You were in AA, time to take responsibility.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Heh. I had no "ideer" this was back on.

I also find it sad that Sr still doesn't get why Jr is mad at him.

He hears it but never processes it. He has NO ability to separate out how toxic his behavior is from the few pitiful reconciliation gestures he makes (which he usually very broadly interprets in the way most favorable to himself and least to everyone else).

Reality TV and fame (the ability to be interviewed and get his words in print, on TV or the net) was the ruination of any ability he had to have a loving relationship. Because a reasonable person, if he didn't have glowing praise for his kids, would at least HOLD BACK his words and say little (or nothing). Senior can't. For example, maybe he legitimately thinks it might be the wrong thing to say he liked Junior's bike design if he didn't. But someone else? Would probably go out of their way to instead say as little as possible. Senior? No. So he continuously spills his guts negatively, and because he's famous, the whole world hears it (widening that gap between him and his kids, because its basically humiliating them to the whole world).

ETA: Jason Poole thinks that Trump is a "really great guy"? Nobody believes that, Jason.

And Trump thinks Jason is talented.

Two people either lying, or deluded, about each other!

BTW: this show needs a wacky enthusiastic Polish rich guy, in ugly clothes, EVERY week. It was both funny, and yet oddly touching, to see the guy freak out like that over the bike (and it actually WAS a nice design IMO).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Feb 14, 2012 @ 6:51 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

Feh, Senior on Apprentice.

Wish he'd gone, but he pulled one out of his ass.

I mention it here because I wonder how this will play into what we see onscreen on Chopper. We already saw Paul "on a break from Apprentice" and I have to admit I thought then it meant he went home early. But maybe not.

I wonder if there will be more overlap.

sallysweeet

sallysweeet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I caught a couple of episodes yesterday and one of them was the Trump bike ep and, god, that was one fugly bike.

I didn't realize that Junior's wedding wasn't filmed; I like that, I think there are some things that should still remain private, even if you're on a reality show.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

re: "the off camera meeting"

From what we heard secondhand about this...

Its like the two of them don't even speak the same language. They seem to have reported that SO differently.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Its like the two of them don't even speak the same language. They seem to have reported that SO differently.

Despite what he said, I think Senior had higher expectations of the meeting.
Junior is not as quick to get back into a relationship, because he has more reasons to feel aggrieved.
All the stuff Senior said about him on the show, being launched in effigy off a ramp, etc.
Senior feels rejected because his efforts to restart relationships have not been met with open arms.
His sons are wary of him, and I don't think he understands why.

Anyway, they should be pleased that they made a start, at least.
I'm actually surprised it wasn't Mikey to meet with him first, they had always gotten along better, it seemed.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Is it only me who is bugged when Sr tells his tale of woe about his rift with his kids to his wife and instead of nodding sympathetically or god forbid saying somehting constructive, even if it is critical of Sr, she tsk, tsks about what on earth is wrong with Paulie, as if she can't imagine Sr being a dick. Jeez I hate second/third/fourth wives who think they have a clue as to what went down years before they were in the picture. Can't stand them.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:17 AM

Despite what he said, I think Senior had higher expectations of the meeting.
Junior is not as quick to get back into a relationship, because he has more reasons to feel aggrieved.
All the stuff Senior said about him on the show, being launched in effigy off a ramp, etc.
Senior feels rejected because his efforts to restart relationships have not been met with open arms.
His sons are wary of him, and I don't think he understands why.

Anyway, they should be pleased that they made a start, at least.
I'm actually surprised it wasn't Mikey to meet with him first, they had always gotten along better, it seemed.

Yeah, but its not just the expectations I was talking about, it was the description of the meeting itself. Senior describes it like Junior spent all his time talking about the obligations they jointly have for filming the TV show, like they were complete strangers negotiating, while Junior's version of the talk, as explained to his wife, is admittedly still for a distant relationship, but also his insistence of the two of them having frequent phone calls to hash out differences (presumably instead of it being done on camera, the way Senior has often done it) sounds like a big step.

I do think that's what was on Junior's mind--Senior's seeming core difference from him on what gets on TV. Senior wants to be totally transparent, in the sense that he's never had any filter on what he says (or for that matter many apologies when he's wrong), whereas Junior feels that some stuff doesn't belong in front of the world. The two of them seem like they're never going to solve that, ever, as long as they both appear on the same regularly airing TV show.

Is it only me who is bugged when Sr tells his tale of woe about his rift with his kids to his wife and instead of nodding sympathetically or god forbid saying somehting constructive, even if it is critical of Sr, she tsk, tsks about what on earth is wrong with Paulie, as if she can't imagine Sr being a dick. Jeez I hate second/third/fourth wives who think they have a clue as to what went down years before they were in the picture. Can't stand them.

The woman comes off as a real piece of work (in the negative sense), and I'd bet she's never been anything but a roadblock in fixing any of these problems. If she EVER dares disagree with Paul Senior, we sure don't get to see it. The man needs actual correction for his behavior, not pointless propping up.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I do think that's what was on Junior's mind--Senior's seeming core difference from him on what gets on TV. Senior wants to be totally transparent, in the sense that he's never had any filter on what he says (or for that matter many apologies when he's wrong), whereas Junior feels that some stuff doesn't belong in front of the world.

Yeah, this makes Junior come across as a little more classy and also as more of a fuddy duddy at the same time.
Senior seems to realize more that there is some obligation to the fans (who keep them liquid), and that the show has thrived largely on the drama between father and son from the very beginning.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Screaming like little girl, pointing and jumping up and down...

"Monkey! Monkey! Monkey!"

Jeez.

bunyupp

bunyupp

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

How many bikes has Jr actually sold? There was the one to the Polish guy, and the one recently to the (ex) baseball player, but it looked like every other bike shown being made on the show was [subject/verb agreement error????] on the parking lot for the baseball player bike presentation.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I don't know if all this talk about Mikey quitting the show is legit, or just something to inject some drama. But I have to say that Mikey looks like a mess. He looks like he's undergoing some sort of trauma, or like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Something appears to be bothering him.

JahniBlaze

JahniBlaze

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Umm, Paul Sr. Let me give you a little hint. If you want a relationship with your sons, you have to stop with the little digs that you can't help throwing out there.

You describe the view on your little trip as "I beats putting rivets on a camaro." Really?

And then that idiot Jason is all "Yeah!! Thats a great quote. I'm gonna start using that." Can he kiss Sr's ass anymore than he already is. Monkey!! Monkey!! Monkey!! Indeed.

TommyD

TommyD

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

And then that idiot Jason is all "Yeah!! Thats a great quote. I'm gonna start using that." Can he kiss Sr's ass anymore than he already is. Monkey!! Monkey!! Monkey!! Indeed.

It is hard to tell who has their head up Sr's ass more, Jason or the bald headed guy. (Sorry, I can't remeber his name at the moment)

I like how Jason does mock Sr. a bit, when he throws out his "ideers"

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Remember what happened to the guy who didn't have hid head up Jr.s butt.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I like how Jason does mock Sr. a bit, when he throws out his "ideers"

Yeah but then he goes and ruins it by acting like a douchebag. Plus, he's really not all that good a designer.

"Monkey! Monkey! Monkey!"

Idiot!

Umm, Paul Sr. Let me give you a little hint. If you want a relationship with your sons, you have to stop with the little digs that you can't help throwing out there.

Sometimes I wonder if Mikey reads here. There's been a suggestion, long running in this thread, that a good part of Senior's behavior is him acting out for the camera. And recent events in the show seem to show that both Junior and Mikey also seem to now believe this in their own way. So much of this can seemingly be linked to Senior's apparent belief that part of "putting on a show" involves this kind of behavior as some kind of obligation, and the boys not able (or willing) to separate the "fictional" behavior from the "real", because (and I come down on their side on this) being willing to mock, indict, cajole or question your family in public is a bigger true injury than behaviors you can later try to claim were "just for the show".

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Anyone still watching this show? I DVR'd the last 2 episodes and just watched them. I'll admit, I kept seeing the promo for them sitting down and talking and wanted to see it. Man, it's just sad at this point. Senior is such a complete and utter jackass. I hope his dogs keep him company when he's old, it's gonna be lonely with no family or friends ( you know all the ass kissers are out of there as soon as the little money he has left is gone). Watching hi sit there and try to lecture Junior, claiming he never said anything bad about Junior, that was just delusional and pathetic. Even if this is all just drama for the camera, which I can't believe is true at this point, you don't treat your kids like that for ratings. There's all sorts of fake fuckery going on on every reality show, hell I watch the Kardashains, but this is just MEAN and will stick with a person, no matter if Senior thinks he's pulling in ratings or making good tv or whatever else.

I don't know if all this talk about Mikey quitting the show is legit, or just something to inject some drama. But I have to say that Mikey looks like a mess. He looks like he's undergoing some sort of trauma, or like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Something appears to be bothering him.

Mikey has never been cut out for reality tv and it really looks to have taken it's toll. He's been painted the buffoon from the get go, even if he was a willing participate, it can't be good for the self esteem, he's had addiction issues, family issues, and just has been made into a character instead of a real person. I feel bad for him.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Mikey has never been cut out for reality tv and it really looks to have taken it's toll. He's been painted the buffoon from the get go, even if he was a willing participate, it can't be good for the self esteem, he's had addiction issues, family issues, and just has been made into a character instead of a real person. I feel bad for him.

Mikey has overall come off well on this show. The worst thing which could be said of him is that he comes off like an eternal child. Not immature in the sense that he's a brat, but like he lives his entire life as if he's not an adult.

Maybe that could be true, but its got to grind on someone's ago over time if they are a homeowner, a business-owner and maybe trying to have a relationship.

In his own way he may be right that not being on TV will save him from some of his problems. He won't have to hear his Dad say disparaging things about him to the entire world. But I don't think that's worked out so well for the rest of the family, who other than Junior and Mikey were rarely to never on TV, but who all supposedly have bad relationships (on non-existent ones) with dear old Dad. There's a son Daniel (who appeared on the show for maybe 2-3 episodes EVER since he helped built the current OCC building--but is never mentioned otherwise) and a daughter Cristin (yes, with that odd spelling) and from the little I've heard over the years, I don't think those relationships are much (if any) better, despite how they're actively dodged being referred to on TV for the most part (to the extent that most of the public likely doesn't even know they exist). Dad may not badmouth them on TV, but they STILL have to see him act like a buffoon and a bully towards their brother and know that's inside of him.

Edited by WileyCoyote, May 28, 2012 @ 6:03 PM.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

He won't have to hear his Dad say disparaging things about him to the entire world.

Has Senior said that many bad things about Mikey? I mean I'm sure he must have, but it seems to me most of his insults were directed toward Junior. Because of the rivalry, I presume. Most of the time when he was talking about Mikey, it was about how he wanted to mend fences with him, but that Mikey was always throwing up some roadblock.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Not nearly as much as he's said about Junior, of course, but there's been some.

If we calculate it as "not that much" though, it begs the question though what Mikey thinks is going to change then, if he's off the air.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

The promos for the new season are airing. So Senior and Junior are suddenly BFFs again? The hell?

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

Kinda makes it hard to believe all their bluster that their fights, lawsuits, and issues weren't just a set up for the cameras, doesn't it.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Premiere last night was boring. If I'm watching a show about competing bike shop builders, I have no interest in seeing someone's wedding. Congratulations, but save that ish for Lifetime.

tehach05

tehach05

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

American Chopper gets cancelled again.

After ten years on the air, Discovery has decided to bring their long-running series American Chopper to a end. And even though this is the second time that the network has canceled the series over the past two years, they mean it this time: American Chopper is done! That is, unless you talk to series creator, Craig Piligian.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2146268.html

Good riddance to the drama-laden cake decorators, and their bbq, t-shirt, bicycle, and faux-art sales.

bugsy

bugsy

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

With the cancellation, I think it will help the family dynamic.

I would like to see how the Teutel (sp?) family readjusts to middle-class life. My perspective is that Paul looks like he's spent some of the monies received from Discovery, but it appears that Junior may have spent all of it. Those rungs are going to hurt on the way back down.