American Chopper

• Please log in to reply

672 replies to this topic

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

I made an effort to watch the AC marathon last night. I even voted in the on-line poll, but it made no difference. They showed that damn firebike episode and the holiday episode again. Of course, they did show the original hour long documentary that started it all. Much more bike building less of The Arguement. It really made Pauly out to be more of a prima donna than the series. Too bad we couldn't see AC II.

I wonder what happened to the builder that was higher up in the OCC hierarchy than Pauly (aka the one who yelled at him)? All Pauly did was attach a rear fender. I thought his and Big Paul's reactions were over the top.

KateQD

KateQD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:14 PM

It was hilarious when Paul Sr. jumped into Joan Crawford mode over the cleanliness of the bike shop

From pages ago, but I had to comment. I had never seen this show before, but I walked into the room when MrD was watching and caught this part. This was honestly the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. When he was going crazy about tools laying around and the son asked where all these tools were that were just laying around and the father turned around and shook that tray and the son said "Thats the tool tray" I have never laughed so hard in my entire life. And to this day I still laugh about it.

mambotaxi

mambotaxi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:24 PM

A large-breasted, platinum blonde girlfriend. A large-breasted, platinum blonde secretary. Previews of Pauly tearing off in a convertible. Sigh. They've gone Hollywood.

To be honest, that's kind of a standard skank-girlfriend look.

Was not crazy about the Santa bike, though I loved seeing Sr. and Mikey in the outfits.

My personal idea is that they need to do a Metropolis-themed bike, or something else very Art Deco.

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:22 PM

1) I am glad that they don't show/got rid of/whatever that other builder. He just annoyed me for some reason.

2) the Christmas Bike was even uglier then I remembered. I think the good Captain (Morgaon) will have to help me see the beauty in it.

3) Can't wait to see more new episodes

SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:35 AM

I've got to jump in on the Christmas bike thing. Yeah, it was kind of an atrocity. No, it will never will awards for classy and stylistic fabrication. However, as godmum to a nine-year-old boy and a four-year-old girl who happened to be visiting Auntie SecretSquirrel while this ep aired, the kiddies do seem to love it. Those two seriously thought it was one of the coolest things they'd ever seen.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

According to the DSC board brain trust, James "Dee" Clark left OCC and now has his own shop somewhere in New York. I guess Vinnie replaced him.

I've had such an evolution of feelings towards OCC. First I thought the stuff they did was cool. Then I started watching other shows like the "Great Biker Build-off", and compared to the stuff Indian Larry and Billy Lane do, OCC is crap. However, now seeing the first episode and watching still more chopper shows, I realize that OCC specializes in theme bikes, which are a different animal than custom choppers. So I again have respect for OCC, although I think theme bikes can get kinda cheesy.

The best part of the holiday episode was when Mikey hurried up bending that iron, and just sat there smoking a cigar waiting for his dad to come in.

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:30 PM

Not suprised there are no comments yet, this episode was kind of boring. I'm nervous that it might be the show is getting old, but I'm more optomistic that the reason is just that the episode was boring. No Pauli and Vinnie is no fun.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

I wanted to post, but wanted more to avoid the dreaded double post. I thought this was a refreshing change of pace from the "Pauly gets idea, Pauly stares at frame, Big Paul yells at him to hurry up, bike gets done in nick of time" episodes we've been seeing. That being said, I wouldn't want to see this every week.

I thought the inspirational trip to the Viet Nam Memorial and the shot of big Paul looking reflective in front of the POW/MIA flag were a bit much. This is one of those reality shows where you can really see the heavy hand of the production staff instead of things occuring organically.

Campo may be an artist, but his eyes freak me out.

O/T: does anyone watch monster house? I've been thinking of starting a thread for it.

Trompe L'Oeil

Trompe L'Oeil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:30 AM

There already is a thread for Monster House under How-to Reality

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

OK, is it just me or do Mikes eyes freak anyone else out?

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

Are you talking about Campo's eyes? Because yeah they do freak me out. I always thought it would suck to have eyelids that opened wide enough that people could see your entire iris. I wonder if those folks know that their eyes do that, and if that's something that they can learn to control?

Also, it's pretty obvious that all the Teutel men are related, but when Mikey was helping his niece decorate the pumpkins you could really see the resemblance when he had his glasses off. Poor sister in law, she probably had to clean up Mikey and her daughter's pumpkin mess.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:36 PM

How perfect was it that Paul Sr. went as The Hulk for Halloween?

And, yeah, I was really shocked at how much Mikey does look like a Teutel. I never noticed it before. And word on feeling sorry for the sister-in-law. I couldn't imagine marrying into that family.

I can't decide if I like the POW bike or not, but I love that we're seeing more of how it's made.

Is it legal to have nitrous tanks in street cars?

therestofus

therestofus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 7:36 PM

I am breaking out of serious long time lurker status because I can't believe that no-one has commented on Paul Sr's frequent and brutal attacks on the English language. It's like listening to Tony Danza's less attractive, scary, tank topped, older brother. Ideers!!

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 2:53 PM

Tonight the Discovery channel is showing "Southern Chopper", featuring the good folks at Milwaukee Iron. I think this is just a one-off and not going to be a series, but I could be wrong.

I am almost in awe at the way Discovery is able to squeeze every last ounce of possibility out of a concept. I wonder why they're calling it Southern Chopper? Didn't we have a civil war to show that the south is still part of America?

ETA: Okay, saw the Southern Chopper show. Wow. Basically, it was a lot like American Chopper, except there was A LOT more fabrication and the arguments weren't as tedious. Actually, I thought they were making some jabs at OCC for both being 'assemblers' and Paul Senior's tendency to get wound up. I was kinda disapointed that when they went to Biketoberfest, we didn't see the Teutels in a "Flintstones meet the Jetsons" moment.

But it was definitely NOT in New York. For those of you who don't have a "Southerner Field Guide" handy, they were more Appalachians than Stars-n-Bars waving, deep-south southerners. Especially the head "motor-sickle" fabricator. All in all, it was an enjoyable show.

This may be a stupid question, but if they're in Virginia, why is the company called "Milwaukee Iron?"

Edited by tortuga, Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:03 AM.

Eliz

Eliz

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 3:37 PM

I saw Southern Chopper last night too. Did you notice when the boss (I forgot his name) was talking directly to the camera he had the same tone and inflection as Paulie? They also used a lot of the same phrasings. I guess that is one point in favor of these shows being more scripted than reality. I sure hope they don't do a Chopper series for every region of the country.

I always make fun of Paulie's designs, but his bikes show a good deal of creativity. The Southern Chopper bike last night was just not that creative or attractive.

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

That bike... It was one rebel flag short of being your stereotypical souther chopper. On a lighter note, my sister used to live in Lynchburg and said she had to drive past them every day on the way to work.

ETA: Spelling corrections, because one of these days I will learn to spell at least 50% of the words right.

Edited by Bongo, Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:49 PM.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

Would you go out in a field with the Teutels and a bunch a shotguns? Me neither.

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2004 @ 10:26 PM

I'm not a fan of the MIA bike now that it is finished. Paul Sr. is 1 for 3 on bike designs in my eyes. I only liked the one he built with Cody.
I am so happy that this week it goes back to the Pauli and Vinnie show.

Trompe L'Oeil

Trompe L'Oeil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2004 @ 11:10 PM

I gotta tell ya...I agree with Bongo. Pauli's designs put big bad Paul Sr to shame. I wonder if Paul Sr's need to go all Joan Crawford (tm someone brilliant up thread) on Pauli isn't partially fueled by envy.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

Anyone notice how much bulkier Cody has become from the first season? Granted, he's in his teens meaning he's growing up, but I've noticed that his frame has become a little thicker (not in a fat way) and his voice has become deeper. Aw growing up right before our eyes.

And word to therestofus - I can't stand when he says "Ideers!!". Sounds like deer bred by Macintosh.

hotrodchick

hotrodchick

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

Is it legal to have nitrous tanks in street cars?

You can have it in the car but technically can't use it on the street. There is a switch that allows you to turn it on and off. Some race tracks have rules against it also. It all depends on where you are.

I love this show. I know guys who own shops and they are just like the Teutels. Cracks me up.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 9:28 AM

I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but then I saw an ad later that night to vote for the best superbowl commerical. I could have sworn a commercial clip shown featured the Teutels. Did they do one or do I need to up the dose on my anti-psychotics again?

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

I heard the RADIO ad with the Teutels (that started with "To be perfectly honest") pimping AOL's Super Bowl Halftime show. Then I caught a piece of the tv ad. Bizarre but funny.

Keely1116

Keely1116

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 10:49 PM

I thought my dad was crazy, because he kept telling me about his new favorite show that involved motorcycles and crazy mechanics like the guys down the street, but then my cousin confessed that she loved it so I tuned in, and it's such a guilty pleasure now.

I love Mikey's matter of fact voiceovers. Like tonight's "I would have liked to have ridden in the parade with my brother in father, but I can kind of see why they stuck me in the truck. I don't have a license, and they worry about the fact that my attention tends to wander."

Joe Paterno

Joe Paterno

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 11:36 PM

Paul Sr. seems to get "impressed" a lot. It seems that four or five times a show, something is "very impressive in his book."

I also noticed how they totally disregard some basic welding rules. There have been a bunch of times where either the person welding isn't wearing his face shield or Paul Sr. will be staring directly into the weld. Thats worse for your eyes then staring into the sun.

Tonight's episode was already 15 minutes through before they even started on the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets Jets bike.

Trompe L'Oeil

Trompe L'Oeil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 12:14 AM

I just saw an ad with Paul Sr., Pauli & Mikey...I think they were hawking some internet provider.

indybear

indybear

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

The Teutels did at least three ads for AOL that aired during the Super Bowl. I figure they might as well play their 15 minutes for all it's worth, since shows like this generally have a short shelf life.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

I really felt sorry for Mikey this episode. He really gets no respect. Not that he does anything that deserves respect. It seems to be vicious cycle really. The sibling dynamic between Paul Jr. and Mikey really showed itself in that episode.

Too bad they weren't able to show the near wreck. That would have been exciting. I'm glad I'm not a NYC taxpayer because seeing the OCC crew use the FDNY as AAA would have pissed me off.

I can't stand the safety issues in the shop. Do they think they're tough by just closing their eyes when welding? I'm waiting for the episode when OSHA busts in and sites Paul Sr. for un-safe working conditions.

I wasn't real impressed (tm Paul Sr. Hee!) with the Jets bike. Justin's paint job made it. I hope Vinnie, Christian, Nick and Cody get paid a lot of money since they seem to be the ones who do most of the work and no glory. At least Vinnie got to be in the parade and Jets opening day.

Bongo

Bongo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 6:49 PM

I am so happy to see my favorite show back to what works. The Jets bike was nothing special, just one of their Gravity Soft Tails. However the stuff with the car was classic.

To comment on the commercials: I loved them. Especially the one with the moped. Then seeing last night that they had a moped in the shop really cracked me up.

Speaking of the shop, is it just me or is it growing again? It is now so big that Vinnie needs a cart to get around and that looked like a third building that they assembled the Jets bike in. (BTW - Go Pack!)

Trompe L'Oeil

Trompe L'Oeil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 1:57 AM

I can't stand the safety issues in the shop. Do they think they're tough by just closing their eyes when welding? I'm waiting for the episode when OSHA busts in and sites Paul Sr. for un-safe working conditions.

It'd serve Paul Sr. right to have some low level OSHA inspector go all Joan Crawford on his ass.