Today

• Please log in to reply

15807 replies to this topic

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

Michelle is at CNN?  I thought she was great in Miami, she handled 'real' news stories when she was here.  Since I don't watch Today anymore, I hadn't realized she was gone. 

If CNN wasn't another sinking ship, I would congratulate her on her move.  

Still say the fall of the News Divisions occurred when they became profit centers for the networks.  The dumbing down began then.

Edited by grainofsalt, Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:25 AM.

Muir

Muir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 11:04 PM

saw Michelle Kosinski on CNN.

Yes she was on doomed flight duty over there (as is everyone). I thought she was still in Europe for NBC. 

When Dylan does the walkover to her first weather segment it looks like she's being stalked.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 11:08 PM

Well, since this is the Today thread, I really don't give a fuck about GMA's ratings.

Thank you. I don't understand the repeated pimping of GMA and CBS This Morning on this thread. Both have their own threads, although each is devoid of much talk.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 1:07 AM

GMA's and CBS's ratings seem to be relevant, primarily in the sense that Today is trying to get back to #1.  It would seem that GMA's ratings are particularly relevant this past week, since NBC hired Josh Elliott away from GMA presumably to put a dent in their ratings. The fact that GMA's ratings actually went up means Today has more work to do.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

The point is that discussions about GMA and CBS should be on their respective threads, and not constant pimping on this thread.   I don't care what their ratings are.

Edited by Ohwell, Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:51 AM.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

I think it is interesting to hear how the ratings are working. Seems to me people watched Today or GMA for years if not decades as in my case. And now Today is flailing, in complete turmoil, and has been since the Ann Curry debacle of being hired for co-host. So comparing them briefly with where people have moved (like to GMA or CBS) bears a thought to me. I'm all for CBS but watch the 3rd hour of Today. It is (in a snarky way) interesting to me to compare the silliness with a more newsy format - something for everyone is being offered by the networks.

Al walks and talks as well over to the weather board. Not sure why they are doing all this on Today. Especially when they are interrupted from interrupting and then are interrupted on their walk as Al is when he is strolling, if that makes sense.

Phoenixstorm

Phoenixstorm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:21 PM

Michelle is at CNN?  I thought she was great in Miami, she handled 'real' news stories when she was here.  Since I don't watch Today anymore, I hadn't realized she was gone. 

If CNN wasn't another sinking ship, I would congratulate her on her move.  

Still say the fall of the News Divisions occurred when they became profit centers for the networks.  The dumbing down began then.

Yeah, it is like a Catch 22 situation she is a white house correspondent, which is considered a step up in a lot of ways for a reporter but at the same time when a former network reporter moves to cable it is considered a step down. At the state of the news division sometimes it is good to be working at 24 hour channel then competing with other reporters for limited time on network news. 

NBC started it when they decided to make money on the Today show, since then it has become dumbed down with formulaic content. Part of that too is because NBC's primetime lineup is so stagnant they can't money off their primetime revenue so it goes to morning television.

CBS is the only one out of the big three that seems to retain it's identity as a stellar news organization with content and I think a lot of it i because they retained that Walter Cronkite vision of telling the public what they need to know instead of what they want to hear. CBS has the best primetime lineup out of the big three. 

nd now Today is flailing, in complete turmoil, and has been since the Ann Curry debacle of being hired for co-host. So comparing them briefly with where people have moved (like to GMA or CBS) bears a thought to me. I'm all for CBS but watch the 3rd hour of Today. It is (in a snarky way) interesting to me to compare the silliness with a more newsy format - something for everyone is being offered by the networks.

Yeah and that is what they get, when she left ,the heart and soul of the morning show was gone. The magic is not there anymore no matter how hard they try. I don't think guys like Willie Geist or Carson Daly will be the answer.

The point is that discussions about GMA and CBS should be on their respective threads, and not constant pimping on this thread.   I don't care what their ratings are.
GMA's and CBS's ratings seem to be relevant, primarily in the sense that Today is trying to get back to #1.  It would seem that GMA's ratings are particularly relevant this past week, since NBC hired Josh Elliott away from GMA presumably to put a dent in their ratings. The fact that GMA's ratings actually went up means Today has more work to do.

It is relevant because there has been buzz that Josh might be Matt's replacement . Now that Josh is gone, it only shows that GMA is really strong among viewers despite the the recent backstage changes. GMA is just in good shape and even though Today has done so many changes ,GMA just keeps coming.

They enjoyed that little ratings high during Sochi but the Olympics won for Today not the Today show. Today show does not matter the many changes the do are still feeling the batter of Ann Curry debacle even though it has been a couple years.

Edited by Phoenixstorm, Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:21 PM.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:38 AM

Yeah and that is what they get, when she left ,the heart and soul of the morning show was gone. The magic is not there anymore no matter how hard they try. I don't think guys like Willie Geist or Carson Daly will be the answer.

The ratings were going down very steadily well before they fired Ann.  She may have had a loyal fan base, but that doesn't make her the heart and soul of the show.  They would be in largely the same position now whether Ann is on the show or not.

Muir

Muir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:07 PM

GMA just keeps coming.

GMA has some problems too. Their grossly overpaying Robin has others and most specifically Stephanopolos upset. He apparently wants his deal more than doubled.

NBC doesn't seem to know quite what it wants and Savannah's  maternity leave  could be a net-plus or it maybe cost them a few points who knows?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 7:09 PM

Jenna's mouth looks like a cartoon character's. I noticed today just how big and wacky it is - like a caricature. Especially when she's doing her 2 drink minimum comedy routine during the NEWS.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

Today Tamron says "me and my girlfriends". This makes me insane.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

Tamron makes me insane.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Watching her now. She just an irritant. I'd rather watch Kathy Lee and Hoda.

I'd never thought I'd write that.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

Tamron reminds me of a junior high girl. She acts so cutesy and giggly. Even some of her outfits are too youthful. Ruffles on her skirt, skirts too short and tight. Just ugh. I have read that she is dating Lawrence O'Donnell from MSNBC. Just thought I would throw that out there. Lol. I don't know anything about him, except he was just in a car accident that will keep him off of the air for a while.

Muir

Muir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:06 PM

I don't know anything about him,

Hadn't heard that: long distance relationship?  He's a west coast guy (divorced from an actress with a daughter). Harv edu. lawyer and former Cong. aide and author.

Mrsjumbo

Mrsjumbo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:40 PM

Jenna's mouth looks like a cartoon character's. I noticed today just how big and wacky it is - like a caricature. Especially when she's doing her 2 drink minimum comedy routine during the NEWS.

Funniest thing I've read today! Thanks for the laugh.

Phoenixstorm

Phoenixstorm

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 AM

Tamron reminds me of a junior high girl. She acts so cutesy and giggly. Even some of her outfits are too youthful. Ruffles on her skirt, skirts too short and tight. Just ugh. I have read that she is dating Lawrence O'Donnell from MSNBC. Just thought I would throw that out there. Lol. I don't know anything about him, except he was just in a car accident that will keep him off of the air for a while. 

There is such a thing as trying to hard and I think Tamron is trying to hard to make herself fit in. She should not have to act that way, she is a stellar on her delivery alone, and she should not try to add up the cutesty stuff. An over 40 year old woman acting like a high school kid is not pleasing on television. That Katie Couric forumla is old and outdated.

Erica also might not want a regular, daily gig.  She has a family now, so the weekend gig is pretty ideal for her.  I think the weekend role suits her best, anyway- it gives her an opportunity to be a bit relaxed, and Jenna and Dylan handle more of the silly stuff anyway, so Erica can pretty much be herself.

That's because she did the daily gig, try to make the big time and it did not work out. She was lucky she got that weekend anchor role,in reality she should consider it a career blessing for her and be humble. Consistency is Erica's problem, how can they push an employee who got pushed out of three major networks. When she was at CBS, they wanted to make her the major face of the network and she could not deliver. Cold it is but it is the truth. 
I can't see her taking over Savannah's gig unless Savannah's contract expires and decides to step down herself but if that were to happen,I think Tamron and Natalie are looking to get that anchor chair especially Tamron. She seems to be gunning for the anchor chair and becoming a regular on the two hour spot. 

Edited by Phoenixstorm, Yesterday, 01:33 AM.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 AM

I think Tamron has tarnished her reputation big time and become a cartoon- not at all the woman she portrayed on News Nation. She has gone back to being a teen.

Very disappointing to me - not sure why people give up  a successful career to get on the show - except Geist.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 AM

I think Tamron has tarnished her reputation big time and become a cartoon- not at all the woman she portrayed on News Nation. She has gone back to being a teen.

I agree.  Not only is she giggly, sometimes she just acts downright crazy.  Also, I think I remembered her saying that her mother advises her on her wardrobe?  If so, her mother must still think that her daughter is five. 

Mookster

Mookster

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

I haven't watched any of the morning shows in years - but I enjoy lurking here - so I decided to get a look at Today this morning just because I had the time. I saw Tamron talking to Jill Biden, taking questions on what a typical Second Lady's day is like. Gosh, there IS no typical day! Cut to commercial. Back to the roundtable talking about a video clip of a burglar prowling around someone's house. Scary? Agreed! Cut to commercial. Back to Carson Daly talk about how he's soon going to talk to Cyndi Lauper. She's so much fun! Cut to commercial. I honestly don't know how anyone watches any of these shows - they're so with riddled with commercials and inane crap in between, I'm amazed they get any ratings at all. To compare, I jumped over to CBS and ABC, but they were always going to commercial too. I remember when they actually covered "news."

helloagain

helloagain

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 PM

I recently saw Michelle Kosinski on CNN.

Ah. I was wondering why she wasn't covering the Oscar Pistorius trial.  They have Jeff Rossen on it.

Mrsjumbo

Mrsjumbo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Re: commercials. I DVR it & watch while I'm washing dishes & picking up. I use the Fast Forward button a LOT! Not only for commercials but for their yapping on the plaza, makeovers, Everyone has a Story performances, cooking segments, & most musical guests.

Edited by Mrsjumbo, Yesterday, 06:08 PM.

Muir

Muir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Michelle Kosinski on CNN.

Ex-NBC's  Michelle K. surprised me while doing a White House gig for CNN at like 6am?  She really doens't seem like a political type?  Kosinski has a very icy demeanor--unlike Erin Burnett-- and while that can be particularly useful for some broadcast jobs it may not be the best for others.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

NBD but the Tamron Hall/Lawrence O. romance was initially reported back in 2011, IIRC.  Haven't heard if they're still together - don't know how/where I would, however!

It'd surprise me if Kosinski is CNN's main WH reporter.

WRT Willie Geist's potential advancement, I don't see him in Matt's role, either, although I haven't seen any of TTS in ages, except for a very few minutes of the Olympics. 

Sounds like they're trying to cripple GMA by stealing their talent but it's not working.  Perhaps they need to get their own house in order, also!

Am not a GMA viewer but always had the impression Sam would be far preferable to Al.  Perhaps Al would take an early retirement package!  Josh can stay in sports -

JMHO

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Today, 08:50 AM

I figured out TTS, but what is NBD?

4chrisusa6

4chrisusa6

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 09:20 AM

An over 40 year old woman acting like a high school kid is not pleasing on television.

Worse than 'acting like a high school kid' is acting like a spoiled only child of 6 or 7!  Gawd! Why in the world do they keep her around?!?

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Today, 12:51 PM

Is NBD no big deal?

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

That makes sense I guess.