Today

• Please log in to reply

15809 replies to this topic

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:44 AM

This Chelsea Clinton article's too gossipy for my taste but it does mention several TS correspondents. They make it sound as if tptb brought in Chelsea, providing her with a contract plus a ton of perks, all in the hope of scoring a Monicagate interview. (Does anyone care about that incident now?)

Chelsea Clinton struggles at NBC

So, they have Chelsea, Jenna, Luke and Meghan, right?. (Haven't watched TTS in many moons - is Jenna still doing those g*-awful reports?) If this hiring pace keeps up, will they have anyone other than famous offspring? Malia's a teenager, so stay tuned.

I don't get why they're only picking on Chelsea. Sure, Chelsea may not have the greatest charisma, but out of all of those people she has the most education and experience.

Sunfire

Sunfire

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

Jenna Bush Hager is the fucking worst! Before they start ripping on Chelsea Clinton they need to take care of that mistake. Or maybe they need to stop hiring ex-president's daughters. Duh!

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Sounds like you're confirming the answer to gazer's question, Sunfire - so Jenna's still around, huh? (IDK - haven't watched in ages.)

I vote for eliminating all famous kids, period. (That'll cover Luke, too.) Definitely would axe Jenna first but, then again, haven't seen Chelsea in action. WRT her work experience, famous hires at consulting firms typically go to lunch, dinner and/or drinks constantly - well, make that, they go on sales calls, if you know what I mean. Not to mention that consulting doesn't necessarily prepare you for life in front of the camera.

ETA: Earth to NBC - nobody gives a rip about Monicagate for the past what - ten years or so, IMHO. Ok, ok, you win - we'll call it 12+.

Edited by diydude, Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:40 AM.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I don't get why they're only picking on Chelsea. Sure, Chelsea may not have the greatest charisma, but out of all of those people she has the most education and experience.

My understanding is that Chelsea got paid quite a lot for her gig. She also got a pretty high profile gig on NBC News right away, going right to that Rock Center primetime show or whatever it's called, where she's surrounded by the top dogs (Koppel, Meredith, Kate Snow, etc). Also, as bad/raw as Jenna Bush Hager and Luke Russert might be, they do seem to get along really well with the crew and try to fit in, whereas this article seems to imply that Chelsea's distancing herself from everyone.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Well, it looks like Matt, Ann, Al, and Natalie are no longer top dogs of the morning.

I was just popping in to comment on the long ratings streak ending.
GMA breaks Today's record

I am surprised GMA didn't break the record sooner, especially after Ann Curry was promoted.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I vote for eliminating all famous kids, period. (That'll cover Luke, too.)

I second this. I really don't understand how being a famous kid would qualify them to be a journalist on a major TV news show. I especially hate Luke Russert and I say this as someone who adored his father. Luke comes off as someone who thinks he should be revered because his father was so awesome.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I especially hate Luke Russert and I say this as someone who adored his father. Luke comes off as someone who thinks he should be revered because his father was so awesome.

I absolutely agree. Also, seems he got better stuff to do, or that they somehow gave what he said more creedence, as if the Tim-ness in his DNA woud have just naturally taken over and made him smart and analytical.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:47 AM

Didn't Luke major in beer blasts? Read somewhere, this week, in fact, that the other Capitol Hill reporters are really ticked at him. They claim he's eavesdropping and then passing their pearls of wisdom along to NBC. Nothin' like good, old-fashioned, hard work!

branchop

branchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Is it me or is Matt unusually happy this week?

I'm going to chalk it up to contract negotiations being over, but I have a funny feeling it is because Ann is not there....

Edited by branchop, Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:28 AM.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Is it me or is Matt unusually happy this week?

I'm going to chalk it up to contract negotiations being over, but I have a funny feeling it is because Ann is not there....

No, it's not just you. I've been thinking the same thing. He is practically giddy.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Wow, the Today Show must feel that they have to up the ratings ante. This morning Tamron Hall was sitting on a stool with her legs crossed with her skirt up to her hoohah; you could see all of her thighs. I'm no prude, but that was so unprofessional.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Didn't Luke major in beer blasts? Read somewhere, this week, in fact, that the other Capitol Hill reporters are really ticked at him. They claim he's eavesdropping and then passing their pearls of wisdom along to NBC. Nothin' like good, old-fashioned, hard work!

Ha! I can absolutely see him doing this and thinking that this is how Woodward and Bernstein uncovered Watergate. What a tool he is.

as if the Tim-ness in his DNA woud have just naturally taken over and made him smart and analytical.

Exactly. That's why I hate him more than Jenna or Chelsie or whoever the famous kid du jour is. Today seems to think that because he is Tim's son, he is automatically a top-level journalist. And then he buys into that hype and acts accordingly. See above.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Matt had a cute cameo on 30 Rock last night.

Edited by HyeChaps, Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

Phoenixstorm

Phoenixstorm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

Hey guys you should check out this Jenna Wolfe interview. She is doing an interview with NBC 10 an NBC affiliate in Philadelphia. This is where Jenna Wolfe got her start at as a sports anchor. She is in Philadelphia because she is apart of the Comcast Cares activity going on in the city.

But check out what she says about Lester Holt kind of interesting to hear.

http://www.youtube.c...ture=plpp_video

Edited by Phoenixstorm, Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:47 PM.

captain1

captain1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

I don't know exactly when it happened, or why it happened, but Jenna no longer bugs me. At all. And it's clear from that interview that she adores Lester. So as far as I'm concerned, she is golden!

Malachi

Malachi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I was watching Today on Sunday, and there was a cute exchange between Lester and Jenna. After discussing the youtube video about the two "hot" girls who also have problems like us regular folk, Lester turned to Jenna for some snarky comments, but she deferred to him. So he said something about one of their problems was not being able to carry a tune. It was cute and funny, and showed great chemistry between the two of them.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

5 Hours! They're kidding, right?

HuffPost - The Professionals

Say it isn't so - well, guess I shouldn't care as a non-viewer but it still blows me away.

Edited by diydude, Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:47 AM.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Five hours of Today? They have trouble filling the current time slots. Frankly I think the show could be improved by going back to the two hour format so they could eliminate a lot of the filler and concentrate more on news.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

They seem to think that quantity is more important than quality.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I assume that Donny Deutsch tries to be provocative, but he comes across as out-of-touch, to put it politely, when he opines that the unemployment/underemployment rate for new college grads is because they've got a sense of entitlement and aren't willing to do real work, which seemed to be the gist of what he said this morning. Idiot - I wonder how many decades it's been since he was looking for a job in a seriously down market?

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

Had it on for a few minutes and saw the interview Ann did with the blogger who's husband died. Of course, Ann was all Concerny Voice. Then the camera closed in on Ann holding the woman's hand (to show her ring, I guess). Ann has man hands. And she bites her nails. It weren't purdy.

LegalMary

LegalMary

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

Had it on for a few minutes and saw the interview Ann did with the blogger who's husband died. Of course, Ann was all Concerny Voice. Then the camera closed in on Ann holding the woman's hand (to show her ring, I guess). Ann has man hands. And she bites her nails. It weren't purdy.

After watching that long, sad, overly-sentimental "news" piece, all I could think was "Why?" Why have this poor widowed woman on at all? It was excrutiatingly sad and pointless. With the country's economic situation today, I don't want to be saddened any further by these interviews.

brussel57

brussel57

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Not to mention the reason Anne was asking about the ring was and to paraphrase - she's been widowed for 3 months and is still wearing her wedding ring. Give me a break - why wouldn't she still be wearing them. My grandmother was widowed for years and still wore her rings.

Its not like a divorce. Idiot.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Why does the Today show think I am the least bit interested in some twenty-something guy who thinks it would be funny to dress as an intruder and hide in his girlfriend's apartment and scare the girlfriend and her friends?? Why are they showing this kind of stuff?

And the mother who put the X over her daughter's mouth on Facebook. I think this kind of parent is looking for his/her 15 minutes of fame. She looked pretty pleased with herself propped up on the sofa there. Between her and the laptop shooting dad---okay, we've seen enough. It's like, how can I become famous and at the same time (supposedly) teach my kid a lesson.

Between Facebook, twitter and Youtube I am becoming very cranky. Everyone is so self-important and self-promoting. And Today loves to indulge them.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Why does the Today show think I am the least bit interested in some twenty-something guy who thinks it would be funny to dress as an intruder and hide in his girlfriend's apartment and scare the girlfriend and her friends?? Why are they showing this kind of stuff?

And it was on two days!! Yesterday, the story was on at the end of the "news" Natalie reads. This morning, I see that they will have these twits on for an "interview", for what reason I can't imagine. I have to question the sanity of a) the boyfriend, for thinking it is a joke to disguise himself as an intruder to scare his girlfriend; b) the girlfriend, for remaining involved with this dolt and c) Today's producers for thinking we so give a shit about these ninnys. I predict a follow-up story, where the boyfriend dresses as an intruder to propose.

Between Facebook, twitter and Youtube I am becoming very cranky. Everyone is so self-important and self-promoting. And Today loves to indulge them.

I couldn't agree more. Lest we forget the dad who taped his still-zoned-out kid after dental work, embedded commercials and posted it on youTube and made a tidy sum. I've seen funnier videos on "America's Funniest Home Videos". I find myself becoming more of a curmudgeon as well.

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Joining the old farts club.....'get the hell off my lawn, TTS'. That is, everyone but Lester....I'll bake a cake and have him over anytime.

I've switched over to CBS and ABC (even tho GMA scrapes the bottom of the barrel, too).

Charly Rose and Gayle King are a class act....and Erica, too.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Funny, just today I was having this same rant with myself about why we need to bring on people who have videos on YouTube and such. Except I was thinking it about GMA. Apparently it's universal amongst the morning "news" programs.

bergh

bergh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

I still watch on Saturdays while drinking my cup of coffee. The show is pleasant, the hosts like each other. It's nice! I watch Sundays sometimes too. Although I noticed last week when clicking on the "Info" button on my remote that the Sunday edition still indicates that the co-host is Campbell Brown, which gave me a good laugh. Campbell Brown left in 2007. Doesn't NBC send updated information to the cable stations?

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

It's gotten worse ever since they started that silly "Trending Now" segment at the end of Natalie's news segment. It's pretty much either some attention-seeker on YouTube or whatever the latest silly thing happened on NBC.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Flipping the channels one day and saw that "Trending Now". For some reason, it reminded me of the ridiculous Lara Spencer, GMA report - another program I never (almost) watch, except for minor surfing. Glad to miss all the crap you've mentioned.

Tired of seeing the kid at the NY/TX game who was denied the ball by the meanie fans. How many times did they show it on Today?

(Edited to transfer entitled kid rant to MJ thread.)

Edited by diydude, Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:54 PM.