Today

• Please log in to reply

15803 replies to this topic

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

OK....I was dozing thru the morning shows but did my eyes see what I thought I saw? Ann still dressed in her floor-length nightgown? Loved the color, tho....but it did not go with the mustard coat.

Yeah....I'm wading in the shallow end today.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I'm still in shock over Matt's salary. Dayum.

I actually think "Where in the World is Matt Lauer" is a huge burden on him and not at all fun.

ITA. He's made no bones about the fact that he hates doing it because it is exhausting. He arrives, reads a script, & leaves for the next location. He spends far, far, FAR more hours on the planes traveling that week than he gets to spend at any location.

I'm betting Matt begged TPTB/Meredith to have Mere do the Olympics w/ him, because he couldn't stand Ann. IMO that may be the time Ann departs the show.

Phoenixstorm

Phoenixstorm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

What a cry baby this is the reason why I refuse to see Matt Lauer as a credible journalist. He is a television personality/studio doll nothing more he cries about traveling around the world and seeing the best of different cities. A majority of people would love to have his position. What about the journalists who put their life on the line and travel to disaster areas and see the worst of the worst. I don't see Anderson Cooper complaining he has two shows and travels to disaster areas and he does it like a trooper.

What about NBC's own Lester Holt he does three shows, goes to disaster areas and special coorespondent. I don't hear him complaining. If anybody who has the right to complain it should be him but he doesn't because he is another trooper who appreciates his job and respects his viewers with his work ethic. Matt has it good compared to most people I guess he has been in that position for so long he disocciates himself on what real journalism and traveling is.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

What a cry baby this is the reason why I refuse to see Matt Lauer as a credible journalist. He is a television personality/studio doll nothing more he cries about traveling around the world and seeing the best of different cities. A majority of people would love to have his position. What about the journalists who put their life on the line and travel to disaster areas and see the worst of the worst. I don't see Anderson Cooper complaining he has two shows and travels to disaster areas and he does it like a trooper.

What about NBC's own Lester Holt he does three shows, goes to disaster areas and special coorespondent. I don't hear him complaining. If anybody who has the right to complain it should be him but he doesn't because he is another trooper who appreciates his job and respects his viewers with his work ethic. Matt has it good compared to most people I guess he has been in that position for so long he disocciates himself on what real journalism and traveling is.

I don't begrudge Matt this one at all. I actually don't recall his crying about it, but I may just have missed it. Regardless, I wouldn't want to do WITWIML at all. I think it would be torture to have these really nice things dangled in front of you, and then you don't get to enjoy it because you have to hop on a plane for a 10-hour ride. I think that would be a terrible assignment for any reporter.

I think Lester's situation is different. He's cool with going to disaster zones because he knows it's something that has to be done, and I think he feels honored to have that responsibility. Same with Richard Engle. WITWIML is not the same; it's a gimmick, a mere ratings ploy.

Regardless, I highly doubt Matt used WITWIML as much of his leverage. I'm sure he knew that the higher-ups could never let Ann carry the show, so he used that as his leverage, and it worked.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

He's cried about WITW - more than once. It's f-in ridiculous. He can handle one week of 100% travel. If he wants to return to any of those incredible destinations, he has plenty of cash plus numerous vacation days to enjoy them. Besides that, he wants to get away from his wife. Yet another perk of that job. (Sorry but it's apparently true.)

Same for the list - also f-in ridiculous. These are our priorities? Give me a break. That won't give any of these idiots big heads. Oh, no -

No big deal but WRT Matt's negotiations - it wasn't about whether or not Ann could carry the show. (She can't. They already know that.) It was about their ratings war w/GMA and the risk of losing their position, if they brought in a new, lead anchor, e.g. Ryan S. Any time you change things up, it's a risk -

ETA: Ok, let's do the math here. 52 weeks/year - that's 52 Fridays off. If you stored those up and added them to 6 weeks vacation, i.e. 30 days, that's 82 days off, total. So, that's roughly 4 months pto. How many of us would work 8 months for $25M? Or, roughly $3-1/8M per month. (Is 6 weeks the correct number of vacation weeks?) Wow, poor guy! And he's crying about 1 week? Please -

JMHO and YMMV, as usual.

P.S. Long week so please correct my math, if necessary.

Edited by diydude, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

My original point was that WITWIML is not something he should be grateful for just because of the nice destinations he gets to go to. I think it's something that takes a tremendous toll on him and is not at all enjoyable. Should he deal with it, especially at his old and especially his new salary? Yes, absolutely, he's probably overpaid the way it is. But I don't think at all that WITWIML is something he should be grateful to do. He ought to be grateful for a lot of things, especially his salary, but not WITW.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

I have no ill feelings towards Matt Lauer, but if he is the most powerful face in news media, this is a sad day for news media and broadcast journalism in general.
Walter Cronkite was once the most trusted man in America.What happened?

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Sadly, when Uncle Walter died...RIP...trust in the news media died with him.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

OhioSongbird, I agree with you..

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

My original point was that WITWIML is not something he should be grateful for just because of the nice destinations he gets to go to. I think it's something that takes a tremendous toll on him and is not at all enjoyable. Should he deal with it, especially at his old and especially his new salary? Yes, absolutely, he's probably overpaid the way it is. But I don't think at all that WITWIML is something he should be grateful to do. He ought to be grateful for a lot of things, especially his salary, but not WITW.

ITA. Perfectly put.

Yes, Matt's salary is huge. Yes, he gets a lot of vacation time. While the vast majority of humanity couldn't pull in what Matt does, does that mean he shouldn't negotiate to get what he can get? Today is the top money maker for NBC, & Matt is the glue that is holding it together at the moment. While I think that Today has gone down the tubes as a news show, it is still bringing in millions to the network, therefore, Matt can do what any one of us would do if we were fortunate enough to be in his position- negotiate for a top dollar contract. While I think it's a ridiculous amt. of money, I don't begrudge him one bit for getting what he could get from a company that makes billions, a portion of which is due to his work.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I've never expressed any ill feelings towards Matt whatsoever. Spelling out his contract terms is merely a mathematical calculation. I expect anyone to negotiate whatever contract they can, no matter what position they hold. That's what the majority of us sell on a daily basis - our labor. WRT the minor issue of 1 week out of his year, he had an opportunity to negotiate that away, also. If he didn't, then buck up. The rest of us who are not quite as fortunate might not appreciate hearing about it. It doesn't mean we harbor any ill will towards him, however.

To me, it's incredible how profitable the morning news programs have become. They obviously know what sells so the dumbing down of their broadcasts reflects negatively upon our society, IMHO. They do approximately 22 minutes (slightly less, actually) of hard news, maximum, per day and how many minutes of fluff? (Haven't seen it for many months/years other than occasionally in passing so assuming this remains true.) As stated above, "These are our priorites?" That's the main issue, IMHO - not Matt Lauer. YMMV.

Edited by diydude, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:37 AM.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I've thought about it since my original post, and I totally get why other posters, such as nein, have stated that WITWIML is not a perk. I don't enjoy flying, period, so all those rush flights would not be a perk to me. So I was wrong for including that as a perk to Matt's job.

Maybe one of Matt's contract demands was that the feature be changed to "Where in the World is Ann Curry?", with the Today crew being unable to find her...

If you're defining who's the most powerful face in news media, I guess Matt would win in terms of what he can demand from "his" network. However, I totally agree that Walter Cronkite he's not. Actually, there are few, if any, real journalists any more on TV, in my opinion.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Heh, Ann's there, Matt's on vacation. Now Matt is back, and Ann's on vacation. And ever present in the wings is Savannah. Half the fun of turning on the show in the morning is waiting to see if those two will actually be together.

Matt has every right to demand a cohost he can stand. Like everyone said, the show is making a FORTUNE, and Matt is a large part of that. He should be able to pick and choose who he sits next to everyday.

moninikole

moninikole

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

http://www.hollywood...-ratings-312463

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

I've thought about it since my original post, and I totally get why other posters, such as nein, have stated that WITWIML is not a perk. I don't enjoy flying, period, so all those rush flights would not be a perk to me. So I was wrong for including that as a perk to Matt's job.

Well, it's in the eye of the beholder. I would absolutely love having free first-class flights to all areas of the world, and be paid millions to do so.

nein

nein

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

I'll add a slight caveat to my replies- if he does grouse about it from here on out, that reflects very badly on him. While I don't consider WITWIML a perk, I agree with others that, given the money he's making, he shouldn't really complain about it either.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Heh, Ann's there, Matt's on vacation. Now Matt is back, and Ann's on vacation. And ever present in the wings is Savannah. Half the fun of turning on the show in the morning is waiting to see if those two will actually be together.

Hee hee! I was thinking the same thing this AM- gee, I wonder if Ann will be there since Matt is back? IMO TPTB are separating Matt & Ann now because they think viewers will forget they were co-anchors. As if. And I think that Savannah is high on the list of Ann replacements. She's been the co-anchor everytime Ann has been out for a while now. I think TPTB want viewers to get used to the Matt/Savannah team, so when they claim Ann is moving on to bigger & better things (ha!), Savannah will slide right into the job w/ not much adjustment for the viewing public. I like Matt & Savannah together so much better than Ann. Don't know if she's the best choice for the job, but she's certainly better than Ann.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I still can't quite get a read on Matt and Savannah. Matt obviously adored Meredith, and I think that was quite a blow to lose her. He seemed to respect Katie, but I never got the feeling that they were anything even close to friends. I can't tell what he thinks of Savannah.

Did Matt really say something this morning about Al's ANUS?

YpsiYvonne

YpsiYvonne

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

BlueSapphires: It was a little bit of word play between Matt and Al. Al made some joke about a "full moon" coming out in relation to Matt. And Matt countered with, "Better that than Uranus." Double entendres all around!

And then Al said something about going too far. Hee hee.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Oh I got it. But that's such an OLD joke... no one even pronounces it that way anymore. Now it's urine-is. I know it's early in the morning and everything, but geez Matt. You're not paid the big bucks for those kinds of jokes.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

To me, Savannah's demeanor is somewhat reminiscent of Katie's. I finally pinpointed what slightly aggravated me about her. She's very cheery and has that higher pitched voice of "Rah, rah, it's a beautiful morning!" Still, I think she would be a better co-anchor than Ann. At that point, I believe Natalie will get fed up and leave.

I still can't quite get a read on Matt and Savannah. Matt obviously adored Meredith, and I think that was quite a blow to lose her. He seemed to respect Katie, but I never got the feeling that they were anything even close to friends. I can't tell what he thinks of Savannah.

I always thought that Matt tolerated Katie, which later developed into respect, and at that time, they were really a team. I don't think Matt had the power to make all these salary demands back then, so he went along to get along. Not to say there was open hostility there, but Matt also knew which side his bread was buttered on, as Katie probably had more dedicated fans than he did. (I was not one, but I did admire her courage in continuing to work and raise her daughters after her husband passed away, when she could have "retired".) However, Meredith really does have legitimate journalistic credentials (save "The View") throughout her career, but also had a spouse that had medical issues that she was fiercely loyal and caring to, as well as her three children that she took an active role in raising. I think that Matt really respected her as a newsperson and as a person in general. All the innuendo she delivered on set was just the icing on the cake. Meredith did not flub interviews, handled crises interviews well, and once Katie left, Matt was the Senior Statesperson of the group, and pretty much driving the Today Show bus. When Meredith left, his ego went into overdrive, as in "how dare they stick me with Ann!!!" That evolved into the grumpiness we are treated to now.

Well, it's in the eye of the beholder. I would absolutely love having free first-class flights to all areas of the world, and be paid millions to do so.

Since I've never flown first class, I might totally change my opinion of flying! Any way you look at it, even if it's only brief, he does get to see some amazing sights. However, I totally agree that he has nothing to whine about now with his massive salary.

Re: the actual show--around 7:10 a.m. yesterday, they started discussing Pippa Middleton. I have no idea what the story was about, but obviously the news/entertainment blend has crept into the sacred first 20 minutes of the show. I've nothing against Pippa, but for the love, there's plenty of other things to report on.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

As I recall, things didn't get off to a glorious start with Matt and Meredith either. I remember that Meredith liked to crack jokes, usually at others' expense. There was that one time when they showed a picture of a meerkat and she said it looked just like Matt. Well, it did, but it wasn't a very nice thing to say and Matt looked pissed. It took me a while to get used to her sense of humor (actually, I never really did), and I think it took him a while too.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

What happened with Kathy Griffin? I read that she's banned from the today show.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

What happened with Kathy Griffin? I read that she's banned from the today show.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Heard that Kathy Griffin apparently badmouthed Natalie Morales. Kathy claims she doesn't know what they're talking about - sounds as if she's thrilled to receive the press as she's launching a Bravo (i.e. NBC) talk show. Manufactured controversy? IDK.

This Chelsea Clinton article's too gossipy for my taste but it does mention several TS correspondents. They make it sound as if tptb brought in Chelsea, providing her with a contract plus a ton of perks, all in the hope of scoring a Monicagate interview. (Does anyone care about that incident now?)

Chelsea Clinton struggles at NBC

So, they have Chelsea, Jenna, Luke and Meghan, right?. (Haven't watched TTS in many moons - is Jenna still doing those g*-awful reports?) If this hiring pace keeps up, will they have anyone other than famous offspring? Malia's a teenager, so stay tuned.

Incidentally, Matt and Katie had an entirely different dynamic - Matt was the junior partner of the team. He took control of the broadcast when she left.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Re: the actual show--around 7:10 a.m. yesterday, they started discussing Pippa Middleton. I have no idea what the story was about, but obviously the news/entertainment blend has crept into the sacred first 20 minutes of the show. I've nothing against Pippa, but for the love, there's plenty of other things to report on.

Oh, heck, that was the lead on GMA. I admire Today's restraint if it wasn't until 7:10.

newsreader

newsreader

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I absolutely loved seeing Julie Andrews on TTS this morning. Pure class. And a nice antidote to Madonna and her overblown sense of importance. Poor Harry Smith, he must have lost a bet with Brian Williams to have to interview her for Rock Center!

Edited by newsreader, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:56 AM.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Seeing Julie made my day.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Hold on here! Do you mean to tell me that Julie Andrews actually appeared on Today? They should have made THAT their lead story. Maybe she was there as a "spoonful of sugar" to make the recent medicine of Palin, Kardashian, Seacrest, etc. disappear.

Incidentally, Matt and Katie had an entirely different dynamic - Matt was the junior partner of the team. He took control of the broadcast when she left.

Thanks for the correction, gazerguy! My memory was foggy about the anchor turnovers, but I remembered that Matt was much more docile back then.

As I recall, things didn't get off to a glorious start with Matt and Meredith either. I remember that Meredith liked to crack jokes, usually at others' expense. There was that one time when they showed a picture of a meerkat and she said it looked just like Matt. Well, it did, but it wasn't a very nice thing to say and Matt looked pissed. It took me a while to get used to her sense of humor (actually, I never really did), and I think it took him a while too.

Good point also, Ohwell. I remember that Meredith would never hesitate to throw sexual innuendo into any discussion on the Today couch (not during interviews obviously) which I did not like. I'm no prude, but I'm not into hearing that during the 7 a.m. hour on Today. I'd totally forgotten the meerkat comparison or the jokes at others' expense, but now I'm remembering how their conversation during the televised breaks, or at times when they were out on the plaza with the insane screaming people, seemed to always revolve around a Meredith joke. However, I think that Matt learned to tolerate that much better because Meredith could handle interviews quite well, as opposed to Ann's flubbing and "hands on" approach.

Edited by MsLawDawg, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

Alex Bogue

Alex Bogue

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

Well, it looks like Matt, Ann, Al, and Natalie are no longer top dogs of the morning.