Today

• Please log in to reply

15803 replies to this topic

Susaphone

Susaphone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 7:06 PM

To me, one of the more annoying "Ann-isms" is her obsessive need to use the phrase "this morning" when coming back from a live report from a correspondent. She'll often say things like "Thank you this morning, Tom, for your report this morning." I've even heard her start into the next story, realize she didn't say "this morning" at the end of the previous story, and stick it in after the first few words, i.e., "Thank you for your report Tom. In other news, the stock, THIS MORNING, market closed down yesterday..." I'm sure the TPTB want her to empahsize that a report is live and not a repeat from the previous night's evening news, but she's just so awkward doing it, it bugs.

I just want to say that, in the almost two months since I read this post, I cannot watch the Today show without obsessively counting how many times Ann says "this morning."

Ann is a ridiculously inept interviewer. And she tries to force melodrama and emotion. It's a shame, because with her velvety voice, her poise, her perfect diction and her beauty, she far more attractive presence than fake-bake Katie. Too bad she doesn't seem too bright.

OkilyDokily

OkilyDokily

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

I have always wondered if Katie and Ann really do like each other? There seems to be a little something between them,maybe I'm imagining it.

Now that I think about it, they don't ever have segments with Ann and Katie together, do they? They usually do Katie and Matt or Al and Ann or some other male-female combination. Hmmm.... you might be on to something there.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 9:18 PM

I don't think any of them like Ann. Whenever the four of them are sitting on the couch, Katie, Matt, and Al will be joking around and laughing, then Ann will say something, and they'll all kind of stare at her for about a half-second too long, then change the subject. Ann comes across as the dorky kid trying to get in with the in-crowd, which makes me feel sorry for her. Yet I also hate her, so it's confusing for me.

SandyToes

SandyToes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

Just found you guys - hee - too much snark!

I love Matt, think Al is a hoot, wish Ann would comb her hair and YES! get a decent, professional, jacket. And Katie? When she's being Katie, and visiting with the others, she's fine. I like when she is goofy and real. But interviewing? No. Seems every question starts with, "As you know..." So telling someone what they know is a question? Bad as that is, she'll then spend another 60 seconds asking an essentially yes/no question, and it cracks me up when the interviewee says, "Yes." ha. Take that! (But of course, then she has to "ask" more questions. sigh.)

I think Ann learned everything about interviewing from Katie, because there are some scary similarities. Bryant Gumble was the best, in my view. He'd make a quick comment, or question, and then sit back and let the guest talk. What a novel approach...

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 3:29 AM

It was so nice seeing Matt in tropical weather. Katie acting like a night's stay at Necker Island was two years' salary for her was very annoying. Did I hear Richard Branson say "bullshitting" when he was talking with Matt? I don't think it got bleeped for the East Coast feed. Watch out for the FCC!

Sharmila

Sharmila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2004 @ 4:17 AM

I'm sure this is common knowledge for most of you, but I'd like to get this validated -- something happened within the past 10 years to the format of the show, right?

Okay, when I was growing up, I'd have to get up early for school, so my mom would always have Today on when I ate breakfast. (This is when Matt was doing the news desk stuff, btw.) And I was like, 8 or 9, so I never understood any of the news. Admittedly, I rarely stayed to watch past 8, but it always seemed very serious, issue-related, and hard news-like to me.

Fast forward to now (the past 3 or 4 years), and the show has become completely soft news. I don't get up early enough to watch from 7 to 7:30, which I assume is the half hour where they actually discuss the "real" news. But from 7:30 on, it's like celebrity guest 1, cooking segment 1, jolly weather break -- and then it's only softer with the second hour. And, they extended it by another two hours to compete with Regis and Kelly and The View or something?

I am just so sick of this entertainment crap taking over everything. I know it's an industry-wide thing, and it increases ratings to have Nicole Kidman as opposed to some non-combatitive political analyst, but it bugs. This is where people get their morning news?

Of course, this coincided with Katie and Matt becoming super popular as well. So as they became celebrities and sex objects (wtf?), it seems the show's format suffered big time as well. Of course, GMA, and that atrocity on CBS are no better. They've all become so watered down and commercial.

I guess I'm asking -- is this due to the fact that I grew up and finally understand the system and that I was just seeing things through children's eyes before, or is it really more than everything has been dumbed down? I really think it's the latter, but I'd like to see opinions of people who've been long time watchers, who are a bit older than I am to give a more informed opinion.

(And word, guys. Katie is a major beeyotch. I used to have a minor, platonic, I-admire-you crush on Matt Lauer (never Gumbel though -- shockingly ;), but I don't like him anymore either. In fact, I don't like any of them. But compared to Charlie and Diane's soft focus insanity, and Harry and the trio of freaks discussing Survivor, Today is relatively better. As a side note -- what was the show Harry Smith used to do with Paula Zahn? That was always my favorite, and I was so sad when they changed that. Again, I was like 12, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. But the state of morning network news in this country today really scares me.)

Soapbox over.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Feb 15, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

Sharmila, it's not your imagination - society in general has dumbed down over the past several decades.

What passes for intelligence and common sense today is ridiculous as is the same for what receives praise and kudos (yes, someone who can't sing, but can shake their booty all day long is trrruullly talented - NOT!).

Edited by BibiBella, Feb 15, 2004 @ 11:25 AM.

clichekitty

clichekitty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 1:31 AM

What I really hate about Katie is when she's interviewing someone important or some victim in some heart wrenching story and she's got her goddamned shoe dangling off her foot. It's like some icky subtle sex thing she's doing and it makes me want to barf.

I hate her. Come to think of it, I hate them all. But it beats Regis and the idiot or CBSycophants.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 7:32 AM

What I really hate about Katie is when she's interviewing someone important or some victim in some heart wrenching story and she's got her goddamned shoe dangling off her foot. It's like some icky subtle sex thing she's doing and it makes me want to barf.

Word! Also, she's gotten (over the past many years since her hubby died) where she flirts so obnoxiously with male stars when interviewing them - acting like a teenage girl in love with them and like she's the cutest thing on the planet. Yuck!!!

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:06 PM

I guess I'm asking -- is this due to the fact that I grew up and finally understand the system and that I was just seeing things through children's eyes before, or is it really more than everything has been dumbed down?

No, you are right on the money. I'm knocking on the door of 50, and I've been watching Today since I was a child. I normally watch the first segment, 7-7:30 a.m., then I leave the set on while I'm doing other things. Thankfully, the first segment is pretty straight-on; the second segment is a little softer. It really starts to slide by 8:30. I think it's a sign of all news programs- it's been determined that we want short, bright segments, maybe one or two heavy thoughts, with lots of video and music accompaniment. I'm sure there's been more than one survey/focus group to figure out what "we" want at certain times of the morning. How in the heck is the public supposed to get the information it needs in this election year with the junk that passes for news?

OkilyDokily

OkilyDokily

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

How in the heck is the public supposed to get the information it needs in this election year with the junk that passes for news?

They need a morning show in the style of The Daily Show. I'd gladly get up early if that was on from 7 to 10 every morning!

Edited by OkilyDokily, Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:36 PM.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Oooooh...three hours of the Daily Show everyday? I'd have to quit school to watch that!! It's almost too wonderful to imagine!

Sorry, back to topic. Ummm...I wish Katie would talk less and listen more during interviews (I've said that before on here, but she's obviously not lurking here, b/c she's still doing it!) And I have a crush on Matt. He's the reason I watch the show. When he goes, I go!

OkilyDokily

OkilyDokily

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 5:57 PM

Here's some gossip on Katie's freakin' long bangs:

Scroll down to "Couric's New Coif"

That explains a lot.
High Definition Couric-- shudder....

Edited by OkilyDokily, Feb 19, 2004 @ 9:50 AM.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 2:23 PM

OkilyDokily, thanks for the link. I wouldn't be surprised if Katie has more than a brow lift done. I've seen her up close in person (just a year ago) and the girl has some serious sun damage, not to mention it looks like she's a smoker (mega-lines around the mouth, etc.) so that's even more damage. She gets away with it now to some degree with the show's good lighting, but if HDTV shows everything, she won't be able to.

So I bet she goes in for more than just a brow lift...

EthelMertz

EthelMertz

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

Katie sucks

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:47 AM

Cripes, could this intern thing be more pointless? It was bad enough when they were ripping off American Idol, but that was merely painful. This faux Apprentice routine is both painful and dull. I don't care how long it took Team Rockefeller to sort the damn mail. I'm not interested in the thought process behind choosing reggae music to accompany a candidate's clip. And what exactly is the prize? That the winner gets to continue being an intern? Whereas, the losers have to . . . continue being interns?

My78Chevette

My78Chevette

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 4:13 PM

Word, Resmudge. This "Intern" gimmick is terrible.

And what's with Katie going barefoot while doing her interviews in Miami? Put some freaking shoes on when you interview people, woman! The last thing I want to see when you are interviewing me is your naked feet and toe jam.

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

Someone I know is seeing someone who works in the HR (or...Personnel, as we used to say back in the day...) department of NBC.

Ann's contract is up - and as of last Thursday - they couldn't come to terms on a new one. She wanted all these guarantees...occasional specials, more stories on Dateline, etc. (Or maybe she's holding out for a bonus every time she says "Thank you, this morning..." on the news?) I'm not sure who she thinks she is. But I still like her.

Also...confirming everyone's deeply held belief on this board: Katie Couric is universally loathed over at 30 Rock. Major hate for perky li'l Katie.

Edited by sticky, Feb 24, 2004 @ 11:26 AM.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

I imagine Ann is a lovely person, but I do not like her on this show!! I find myself unable to listen to her reports without mentally ticking off the amount of times she goofs up reading the news or interviewing someone. And I'm starting to get the same way w/Katie, although her skills are a bit more honed than Ann's. You know who would comprise a dream team for me? Matt and Bob Costas. Both smart, self effacing men who know their stuff, interview well, and uhhhh...aren't hard on the eyes at 7 AM. I know that may sound sexist, but that combo would make Today "must-see" TV for me!!!

Regarding the contract negotiations...I find myself wondering if the folks behind the scenes recognize Ms. Curry's weak interviewing skills, and if so, why she stays on the show? Is it just the fact that she's pretty?! But then, I fail to understand how network TV works these days...them all seem to be shooting themselves in the feet on a regular basis!

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 2:41 PM

Ann's contract is up - and as of last Thursday - they couldn't come to terms on a new one.

If this is so, I wish NBC would entice Soledad O'Brian back from CNN. I think she'd be a nice addition to the Today team. Campbell Brown would be fine as well. I do think it's time for some form of shake-up, and a new newsreader would be a good thing. I don't think it's quite time for Katie to step down, but it's close. I think she is suffering from burn-out, and it shows. The early-AM grind would wear anyone out. She needs a new challenge, and I'd certainly appreciate seeing a new outlook on the daily news. I'm not basing my opinion on her age, just the fact that it's time for a change. I just hope it is better handled than when Jane Pauley got ripped out and replaced by Deborah Norville.

Edited by Decormaven, Feb 25, 2004 @ 6:59 AM.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 12:02 AM

Soledad O'Brien is a wonderful interviewer, and just seems like a very together person. I've always enjoyed watching her.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

I just want to say that, in the almost two months since I read this post, I cannot watch the Today show without obsessively counting how many times Ann says "this morning."

Hee! Today she said "Thank you this morning for your report this morning" (turns to camera) "In other news this morning..."

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 5:04 PM

I think TPTB are looking at Melissa Stark. I thought she was great at ESPN and MNF. I'm a chick, and I think she's hot. It could work. Melissa is a mom and the schedule seems to work for Katie.

When Katie was out, Ann filled in as host and Melissa had news duty. Melissa also had contributed in a few segments during the last hour.

As for Ann's repeated use of "this morning," I hate their transitions or segues. It never fails that you will hear Matt, Katie, or both of them say "on a lighter note." Sometimes they throw in a "much" before "lighter." That really seems to mix it up. Only. Not.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

Do you think Ms. Stark would take Ann's place as newsreader, and does that mean that Ann is leaving? Man, I hope so...I feel bad for saying that, but her skills, or lack therof, are driving me crazy!

Meady

Meady

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

Hats off to Matt on this morning's show. He got two great digs in on Bill O'Reilly. The one about giving him a cup to drug test and the one where he talks about how O'Reilly has written 3 works of fiction. I loved it!!

Rhiannon 73

Rhiannon 73

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

Man, I am getting so sick of Katie and Ann lately! Its at the point when there is someone filling in for them, I get really excited! I wish it was Matt,Al, Campbell as Katie and maybe Hoda Kotbe as Ann!!

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 10:26 PM

That would be a nice foursome! And of course, I still hold out hope that Soledad O'Brien will somehow find her way back -- really enjoyed her work on the show. But who am I kidding? This show has great ratings, and the leads probably aren't going anywhere. Oh well!

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

Hee!
I too, have found my people.

I always watched the Today because it isn't as grating as that 'no talent ass clown' Charlie Gibson and his bitch Diane Sawyer. They try too hard to be 'kewl'.
Lately though, I watch CNN (Soledad), but that's mostly because my husband calls Soledad Obrien his 'news vixen'.

On with the snark...

Now that I think about it, they don't ever have segments with Ann and Katie together, do they?

It's usually Katie in the middle of her 'boys'. Look how cute and petite I am. GAG!

Great, now I'm gonna do that.

I've never seen Celine interviewed before, but does she always act like that? And by "that," I mean "a person who enjoys her crystal meth."

BWAH! Celine does seem like she has been enjoying things in Vegas. And by things, I mean hash bars..... I totally agree!

Plus, Ann is so beautiful. What's with the drawn on black eyebrows and the hideous lipstick?

And for the love of Mike, someone buy that woman a constructed jacket to wear during the reading of the morning news.

Get her the jacket, a good lipstick and a brush!! I totally agree with the earlier 'jammies' comment - she always looks like she woke up late and didn't have time for wardrobe and hair. One of these days we're going to see her with a curler still in her hair or a stain from her danish on her shirt.

Does anyone find the outside audience incredibly ANNOYING??!! I swear, whenever they go to a live shot and they start screaming/yelling I have to mute it.

The best one with this is the weekend weather girl. She gets totally distracted by the people and usually has to rush through the weather.

Is anyone else bothered by Katie's outerwear?

God yes! The polka dot coat with the huge collar that she thinks is a wind shield so she pulls it up over her head. This is usually when Matt shows up in his simple suit and coat, looking pretty good. And let's take up a collection to buy this woman a bunch of hats. If I have to hear the, "It's freakin' cold, why the fuck aren't you wearing a hat" conversation again, my tv is going out the window!

Oh my god, I have found my people! I just can't deal with Katie's mouth or legs at all.

Word on this. She NEVER wears hose and is always wearing some ridiculous high heeled shoe. And forget about the sparkly lipstick, she seems to be dipping into her teenagers glitter body lotion - she's ready for a Night at the Roxbury!

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

Last week I was walking about the Reservoir in Central Park and who should I come upon but Miss Katie herself. I was moving along pretty quickly and two women ahead of me were walking slowly so when I came upon them, I noticed that one voice sound verrry familiar (Katie was doing all the gabbing). I looked to my side and sure enough it was Miss Perky herself.

I wanted to get a better look at her (given the rumors of her having a brow lift, ya know) so when I got further around the reservoir, I turned around to walk back facing her. The girl needs to cut out the sun tanning and if she's going in for some plastic surgery, she should get the full monty - mega-aging around the mouth (I think she's a smoker, so no surprise), jowls, pretty much everywhere.

Edited by BibiBella, Mar 16, 2004 @ 1:21 AM.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 2:26 PM

Hmm. Katie was out yesterday and today. Not "on assignment", not sick, not "enjoying a few days off" -- just out.

How long does recovery from a brow lift take? Will she look weird with a smooth forehead and a jowly face?