Today

• Please log in to reply

15809 replies to this topic

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

Another funny thing that occurs when Ann has to do interviews b/c either Matt or Katie are on location is when the person being interviewed calls her "Katie" - I crack up every time that happens b/c she just says "Um, this is Ann"...WHO? Hahaha...these poor people have no idea who Ann Curry is, lol.

BTW, does anyone know what nationality Ann is? She looks sort of Asian, but I could be wrong...

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

I think I remember Ann saying she was Japanese, or part Japanese.

Katie can be a real beeyotch sometimes.

Did anybody see this interview that she did last year? There were these little kids who had been playing on a frozen lake, and they fell through the ice, and only a couple of them were saved. The rescued kids appeared on the show a couple of days later (why their parents thought that was a good idea god only knows – they were only like six or seven years old).

Katie: So, Timmy – when were in the water you had hold of your friend Bobby’s hand, but then you let go and he slipped away and drowned, right?

Timmy: Waaahhhh!!!

Katie: Can you tell me what was going through your mind when you realized Bobby was gone?

Timmy: WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

The kid’s uncle, or whoever he was finally made her stop.

I think she should retire “What was going through your mind” from her repertoire. It’s a dumb question and she asks everybody.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:56 AM

dislike (Ann Curry) disheveled hair, scary eyebrows and faux sympathetic nod.

I am a die-hard Today watcher- it's been a part of my morning since I was a little girl. However, the presence of Ann Curry just ruins it for me. I do not care for her style of interviewing; the worst came right after 9/11, when she was an absolute feist in gnawing on a US Postal Service official. I know the tension was high during that time, but she kept haranguing on "why don't you know" and other points that the fellow obviously was unable to answer. And for the love of Mike, someone buy that woman a constructed jacket to wear during the reading of the morning news. Reading the news isn't exactly like bringing down the tablets from Mt. Sinai, but have a little respect and wear some appropriate clothing. I'm fully prepared to see her in jammies one morning, then that will fully tear it. Then I'll be watching The Daily Show for all my news. (stepping off soapbox.)

robbiefan51

robbiefan51

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:58 AM

Decormaven

I do not care for her style of interviewing; the worst came right after 9/11, when she was an absolute feist in gnawing on a US Postal Service official.

That was the interview where I started disliking her style. She kept yelling at him "Can you tell us the mail is safe??!!" and I was thinking "Calm down"

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:22 PM

Yes, that tape loop from post 9/11 pops up in my brain every time I see Ann. Why NBC let Soledad go and kept Ann on in the newsreader's spot is more than I can fathom.

colagirl

colagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

However, the presence of Ann Curry just ruins it for me.

Add me to the anti-Ann crowd. The worst for me is her annual pilgramage to visit the septuplets in Iowa - I almost want to gag when her interviews with the family are previewed.

When Katie leaves the show, if they replace her with Ann, I'll never watch Today again.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:24 PM

BTW, does anyone know what nationality Ann is? She looks sort of Asian, but I could be wrong...

Nationality: United States
Ethnicity: Japanese (mother immigrated post WWII), as well as French, Scotch-Irish and American Indian (father).

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:40 PM

Wow, that's quite a mix! Thanks for clearing that up!

And I once got into an argument about the difference about nationality vs. ethnicity - thanks for clearing that up as well :)

Quag

Quag

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

I'm a Today show girl, too. The team I remember fondly from childhood is Tom Brokaw and Jane Pauley. I rarely watch it now because of Katie and to a lesser degree, Ann.

Katie just bugs on so many levels, and the way Ann reads the teleprompter is scary, or maybe that was a one-time thing just the other day; but it looked as if she was looking at a teleprompter. In another room. Off to the left. It was just very weird.

I don't mind Al and Matt, especially since Al has filled out a bit and not looked so post-surgery scary.

I was in NYC a few years ago and made the pilgrimage to the studio, but it was about 5 minutes before the show was over, and the crowd was all but gone. I saw Matt and Ann. Katie was on vacation that day.

I think she should retire “What was going through your mind” from her repertoire.

When I read the first part of this "I think she should retire," I thought, OMG, I wish she would, too! But then I saw that you were saying she should retire the phrase, not her. Darn!

Pink Mayuri

Pink Mayuri

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

Matt and Katie need to stop using "impact" as a verb, and "impactful" too. That's not even a WORD!

Mamalita

Mamalita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 10:18 PM

Katie got punked! I knew Ashton wasn't really bothered when Katie asked about Demi, because he talks about her all the time in interviews.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:38 AM

Just the other day on E! they did a Hollywood story on Katie, making her seem like this amazing woman and journalist. Then I get to this thread today, and see that everyone dislikes her! HA!
I only watch the Today show when either the Average Joes are on (which seems to be rather frequent) or when there's something really uninteresting on Good Morning America. I'll take Charlie and Diane any day over Matt & Katie.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:32 PM

Great moments in closed-captioning:

Yesterday morning on Today, Katie was interviewing a contestant who got dumped from "The Apprentice." They showed a clip from the show. I didn't hear the sound, because where I saw it was the gym. But I did see the closed-captioning. In the clip, Donald Trump was speaking to the young gal and guy contestants gathered around him at his feet, and said something to them that was presumably along the lines of "I know you will all have great success."

The closed captioning read: "I know you will all have great suck sets."

My78Chevette

My78Chevette

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

The closed captioning read: "I know you will all have great suck sets."

Bwah! Almost spit all over my monitor!

Is anyone else bothered by Katie's outerwear? I swear, whenever she's outside amongst the crowd, she looks like a freaking bag lady. I'm no Katie fan, but usually, she dresses quite nicely. But then she goes outdoors, puts on that frumpy hat and the coat that makes her look preggers. Everyone else on the show manages to look quite stylish outside, so what's Katie's problem?

misspete

misspete

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 5:37 PM

I think she's cold, actually. The other day when it was really freezing there she had on one of those huge coats and she kept doing what looked like a pee dance. But she said she was cold.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

I don't have any bashing for Katie. I like her.

But what annoys me to no end is that major snow storms (or any bad weather) can happen here in the Midwest were I am and it doesn't get a mention. But if the east coast - specifically New England - gets ANY kind of bad weather (snow, ice, sub-zero temperatures) it's a major story. Does the Today show think that bad weather only happens in the upper east coast???

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:52 PM

But what annoys me to no end is that major snow storms (or any bad weather) can happen here in the Midwest were I am and it doesn't get a mention. But if the east coast - specifically New England - gets ANY kind of bad weather (snow, ice, sub-zero temperatures) it's a major story. Does the Today show think that bad weather only happens in the upper east coast???

IMO, yes. They are too consumed with what happens in the Upper East Coast than anywhere else. I notice this with most news shows that are totally based in NYC. It all revolves around where they reside in the end. They should focus on other places in the U.S. that are having more frigid weather, and Chicago usually does get colder than NYC because of the lake effect winds. The whole Mid-West is just cold as the Northeast is.

OkilyDokily

OkilyDokily

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:32 PM

They should focus on other places in the U.S. that are having more frigid weather, and Chicago usually does get colder than NYC because of the lake effect winds. The whole Mid-West is just cold as the Northeast is.

ITA! I know every time we get a winter-type storm here in Missouri I'm going to be hearing about it for the next week on the Today show because it's headed straight for NYC and it will put the East Coast at a standstill for a week. Yawn. And what would they talk about if it weren't for the weather, celebrities, and FOOD!

Did anyone see this morning when Al was at the wax museum? I'm going to have me some freaky wax Al, Katie, and Matt dreams tonight!

ETA: Rereading the thread I was reminded of the interview Matt (I think?) did with the Crocodile Hunter after the infamous Baby + Croc incident. The satellite delay was so long the interview was doomed from the beginning. Croc hunter yells... long pause.... Matt asks a question... Croc hunter yells some more... Classic.

Edited by OkilyDokily, Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:53 PM.

billsmusing

billsmusing

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 5:37 AM

I live in NY and I agree with the rest of the country. I listen to Today for my weather and my mother in Texas does too so that she knows what kind of day I will have.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

They should focus on other places in the U.S. that are having more frigid weather, and Chicago usually does get colder than NYC because of the lake effect winds. The whole Mid-West is just cold as the Northeast is.

Heh, the other day there was a lady in the crowd outside with a sign that read, "They think this is COLD? It's -40 degrees in Fargo, folks!" I took that as a definite dig on the way they do their weather.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 2:36 PM

Did you see Katie this morning talking to the tool from the FCC about Janet Jackson's boob stunt?

She is outraged, OUTRAGED that Janet showed her "bosom" on national TV. She also doesn't like celebrities in low cut dresses showing too much "bosom" at awards shows.

"Bosom" Tee hee.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 8:09 AM

I had trouble fishing up the quote but in an earlier post, melita said Ashton Kushner went on and on about Katie in an interview, which surprised me, not on account of the age diferential, but because I had seen Ashton with Miss Moore, who is of the Coric generation.
What threw me off though, was the actor thing. I don't know anything about Miss Coric's personal life but it seems to me that if she were to go out with a man she'd go out with a serious journalist like a George Will.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

Hey Katie, I could care less if you're 'outraged', you're a journalist, so shut the hell up and quit jamming your opinions down my throat.

The boob isn't a big deal, shouldn't be a big deal. It's been totally blown out of proportion by people like Katie who are goody two shoes.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

...by people like Katie who are goody two shoes.

Yet, Katie is not a goody-two-shoes - she just plays one on TV, LOL. I've known folks who worked on the Today Show and there's a reason Katie is known behind-the-scenes and in the industry as "Katie Dearest" (ala Joan Crawford's "Mommy Dearest")...she is hell on wheels behind the scenes and goes through one assistant a year (remember several years ago when she and Bryant Gumbel got into it and he said 'well, I've had my assistant for over 20 years and you go through one a year"?).

I rarely watch the Today show anymore because of Katie (Matt's no better either, IMO and Ann? Sugar overdose, yuck) and her all-about-me persona. I've known folks who were on the show and they all said that it's amazing how Katie always brings any topic back to herself and inserts herself/her experience into everything, as if we're so interested in her life.

OkilyDokily

OkilyDokily

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

remember several years ago when she and Bryant Gumbel got into it and he said 'well, I've had my assistant for over 20 years and you go through one a year"?).

What happened between her and Bryant G. again?

Having been the assistant to a "Mommy Dearest" type before (I only made it 5 months) I have sympathy for all abused assistants! Yet I also revel in tales of woe that were much, much worse than my own. I'm horrible, I know. Do you know any specific complaints against Ms. Couric, BibiBella?

Paper Chaser

Paper Chaser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

I've known folks who were on the show and they all said that it's amazing how Katie always brings any topic back to herself and inserts herself/her experience into everything, as if we're so interested in her life.

I was just thinking this the other morning. They had a woman on who had lost her child to a killer and who is now working in an organization aimed at teaching parents and kids how to stay safe.

Anyway, Katie would NOT let the woman speak. She continually kept saying things like "And you always hear about (insert scenario here)...isn't that dangerous? And what about (scenario 2)....." You get the picture. The woman was reduced to saying things like "Well, yes, that sometimes happens."

I just felt like reaching through the screen and sticking a piece of duct tape over Katie's mouth.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

OkilyDokily, it was several years when Bryant went back to morning TV on the CBS Early Morning Show - Katie made some type of sniping comment about his return to morning TV so Bryant said back (reported in the press and confirmed to me by my friend who worked on the show) "Well, at least I've had the same assistant working for me for 20 years and you go through one assistant a year". That was all that was said, but my friend, as I said, confirmed it.

No real specifics, just that Katie yells at everyone and treats folks in a very abusive manner, that it's "All about Katie".

One specific: when the show did the job swap thing last year and Katie hosted the "Tonight Show", everyone at the show rolled their eyes since Katie was the only one to do something high-profile, even going as far as having the "Tonight" show provide a desk without a front so that she could 'show off her legs'.

Matt Lauer openly complained that "this was nothing more than a big Katie promo, it was all about Katie, why did she need to do something like this when we all did 'normal' job swaps?"

PaperChaser, a friend of mine from the jewelry industry was on the show two years ago (for the "Today Throws a Wedding" series) and was discussing how platinum bridal jewelry was the trend now, not gold. So Katie - rather than asking WHY platinum was now more popular than gold - goes into a whole spiel about how "when I got married, I picked out gold because yada, yada, yada."

My friend - very professional when it comes to getting key points across on TV in a very short time - was annoyed since Katie took up most of the time talking about her own bridal jewelry, not the new trends, styles, etc.

Edited by BibiBella, Feb 8, 2004 @ 4:52 PM.

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 1:22 PM

Did anyone see this morning when Al was at the wax museum? I'm going to have me some freaky wax Al, Katie, and Matt dreams tonight!

Didn't see that segment, but as someone who has visited Madame Tussaud's here in NYC, I can assure you...it's scary!

Well, it's that time of the year again...Where in the World is Matt Lauer? I love it when Matt gives them these obvious clues and Katie and Ann are like, "Ummm...Wisconsin?" ;)

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 2:37 PM

Mr. Smee and I call the suit Katie wore today her "garment bag suit" because it looks like it was made out of a burlap garment bag. It has these weird black seams across the shoulders and down the arms. It is way fugly and she wears it all the time.

I think she was jealous that Matt got to go to Zermatt today and she didn't.

Rhiannon 73

Rhiannon 73

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

I have to say that I really enjoy the Today show, not all the time though. I used to love Katie, now I can't really stand her. Ever since she got her new buff, blonde look she has acted different. She isn't down to earth like she used to be. Katie seems to be a snob now. I do like Al and especially Matt. Ann is nice and way better looking than Katie. However I agree that she is a terrible interviewer.

I also like when they have a funny guest on the show and there is a certain crew member that always laughs very loud! That guy cracks me up!! Lester is okay kind of weird. I also liked whwn Campbell Brown filled in, she was down to earth. I have always wondered if Katie and Ann really do like each other? There seems to be a little something between them,maybe I'm imagining it. Okay I need to get a life now!!