Extreme Weight Loss

• Please log in to reply

1249 replies to this topic

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

Maintenance is rough, possibly more difficult than getting to the actual goal. You have to play around with calorie intake and increasing/decreasing exercise to see how you're going to maintain that weight you lost for the long haul. People think, "I'll drop to 1200 cal/day and workout 2 hours a day, 6x/wk to hit my goal." So they do that, hit their goal and slack off. The weight comes back on and thus the cycle repeats itself. You have to make a lifestyle change and really commit to living it. And it's difficult. Very difficult.

That's why I find this show and BL frustrating rather than inspiring. Yes, both programs make for excellent TV and undoubtedly serve to change the lives of the participants and the viewing audience. But I'm not sure if they give anyone the proper tools to deal with the lifetime challenge of maintenance.

ethalfrida

ethalfrida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

"Wouldn't the olives in the martini be considered a healthy fat ?"

Olive are very heavy in sodium unless you get the ones which have not been brined in salt. However, they are difficult to get a hold of. One jumbo olive has 61mg sodium. They are not very good diet options. And neither is celery because of its salt content also. Just saying...

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 6:10 PM

Went to look in my bar as I know there is  bottle of Skinny Girl vodka. The nutritional label confirs  a half cup or 125ml serving as 100 calories with 6 grams of sugar/carbs. If someone is on a serious weightloss goal or challenge, I would think empty calories of alcohol would be avoided but on a general maintaining watching a healthy lifestyle would allow for drinks in moderation. I would not  drink every night or eat dessert daily but on occasion a spurlge or weekly indulgence would make me happy.

Good grief! 125 ml for 100 calories. OMG. Woot! Really? The regular stuff (on a splurge) is 30 ml (1 ounce roughly) at 70 calories. How do they do that? Skinny Girl Vodka. I did not know that.  Can that be?

And I know these folks are on reducing diets so the alcohol is a moot point and big no no. But yes, for a splurge, on a maintaining sort of  diet, Ok.

Edited by ari333, Jul 6, 2013 @ 6:13 PM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

Chris has a book out with a weight loss plan.  It's kind of complex.  The science behind it isn't real sound, if you ask me.  I think you'd do as well just minding your carbs/calories without the complex cycling. 

I think the people so often JUST hits their goal because these people will go to great lengths to hit a number if they're anywhere close.  They will skip eating, dehydrate, etc.  When you're going to extremes to dump say 10 lbs. in one week, you don't dump 15. 

The one final weigh-in that looked really suspicious to me was Meredith, I think.  She looked at least 20 lbs. heavier than they said, to me.

Skinny Girl has less calories because it's watered down vodka.  Skinny Girl has 75 calories in 1.5oz. vs. around 100 in real vodka.  Real vodka is 40% alcohol and SG is 30%.  Save your money and water down your own vodka.

Edited by DT3, Jul 7, 2013 @ 1:03 AM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

Real vodka is 40% alcohol and SG is 30%.  Save your money and water down your own vodka.

This made me giggle, but is it really simply watered down.. literally? So dump some, a bit, of water in regular vodka and there you have it? TIA :)

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 6:34 PM

I've only caught a handful of EWL episodes online. Do they share the participants' height or other measurements? I seem to recall weigh-ins only, no mention of inches or sizes dropped.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 6:52 PM

While in a reception wait area, I picked up a current magazine and skimmed through an article featuring Chris Powell.

Do you recall the magazine? I did some searching for the points from the article that you mentioned but could only find a few Dr. Oz links (the internet doesn't seem to like Mr. Powell that much!). I'd like to read it!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 9:36 PM

It was a pretty recent . I recall that because I usually check the dates before I start reading or leafing through these types of magazines in reception wait areas as they usually are rather dated. I was surprised to see that it was new. What caught my eye was the front cover. There was large picture of TV doc Travis Stork and he looked rather old as in many wrinkles showing on his handsome boyish face. All I can remember was it was a living healthy type of magazine and came across the article on Chris Powell. Funny enough,  in a few pages later there was one  featuring Martha Stewart and the pic they used had to be from several decades ago as she looked half her age and not 70.

I don't know if Chris Powell is short but in the picture they used  his body looked distorted or out of proportion. A very long torso and short legs.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

Check this for the article:  http://chrispowell.com/media/

Last year, about a mile from my house, Chris' nanny and son were carjacked in front of her hairdresser's house.  She got the boy out and gave the guy the truck, which police found quickly because Chris had a tracker app on his ipad which was in the truck.  The car thief then ran off on foot with the ipad, which of course also led the police right to him.  Ha!

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I was very displeased that tonight's subject felt she could out her lesbian adoptive mother on national TV.  Her lesbian adoptive mother, Mrs. Morty Seinfeld. 

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 9:32 PM

Yeah, tonight's episode was pretty "meh" for me. Spent way too much time in the Barrio. I didn't really need that much backstory.

Glad she was able to get her skin surgery but she was still sucking it in for all she was worth on that scale.

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

We had it on for about ten minutes, and she started to annoy me. Who leaves their employer high and dry? I guess she's going to find a new career as a "personal trainer and motivational speaker."

Lindenholly

Lindenholly

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

I had the TV on MUTE for most of this episode.  First, through the annoying sniveling, and then through the endless, gawd-awful back story.

And do they really need to use a loading dock freight scale for the initial weigh-in?  Last time I looked, even cheapo $14.99 bathroom scales go up to at least 300 lbs.  For another ten or twenty bucks, most will read up to 400 lbs.

But my biggest pet peeve with the weigh-in parts of this and all weight loss shows is the ridiculous delay and number juggling between the time the person steps on the scale and the final reveal of the weight.  We all KNOW how scales work.  You step on and the correct number is displayed almost instantly.   Stop the stupid "suspense" of showing a bunch of bogus numbers before the actual weight is revealed.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 6:55 AM

When did totally selfish behavior become such a good thing? Who brags about leaving their employer and a class full of kids in the lurch? Who says she's not going to take care of her mother in her old age because she's going to "take care of meeeee?"

I quit watching this show and Biggest Loser years ago because of the unrealistic exercise programs and the lack of talk about diet (which most experts agree is 95% of it) but now it's summer and nothing else is on so I fell for another lesson in advanced whining. Not inspiring.

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 7:19 AM

I liked the Jami episode more than I expected to. There was more non-weight-loss stuff, but it turned out that weight was not her biggest problem, so that was probably appropriate. The family things did go on a bit, though.

Chris is > JillianBob is so many ways. I love that he once again called someone out for eating too little, and I love that he ditched the weight loss goals in favor of just becoming stronger and healthier.

The mid-program reveal about just how low she was at the beginning was a surprise, and then not so much when they replayed the earlier comments that had turned me off when I saw the preview. It also explained why she could ditch her employer with  short notice.

Jami's new-found inner awesomeness seemed sincere. She seemed to grasp that the real change had happened inside her head.

Merree

Merree

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

Last night's show was bad on so many levels. 

The "extreme makeover" had much more to do with the sudden Psoriasis cure than the actual weight loss, yet it wasn't mentioned at all.  Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder and could have affected Jami's healing process. 

For the last 2 shows, we have seen participants with smaller starting weights.  I guess the feedback was how unhealthy it must be for Chris to set such unrealistic exercise and weight loss goals for the people with more to lose.  Now, the pendulum has shifted the other way.  It is entirely possible to lose what the last two clients did in a year or so (100 or so pounds) on their own. Ironically, I once weighed 292 pounds (the same starting weight as Jami) and it took from 7-'09 to 2-'11 to lose 148 pounds.  I did it without Chris Powell, working out 8 hours a day, or quitting work.  So, meh on the last 2 episodes.

For someone who was so effing concerned about letting people down, Jami was completely willing to leave her employers in the lurch.  Her employers were stunned.  That wasn't scripted.  They consented to being filmed, and then they were blindsided.  If your self-esteem is really in the toilet, not living up to your commitments isn't a good way to pull it out.

There was a whole lot lost in the editing last night.  Someone who only adopted Jami to have someone to take care of her ( the adoptive mom) in her old age could have done so a lot more easily than adopting someone from overseas. The adoptive mom's sexuality had nothing to do with what we were presented last night.  Nothing.  IMO, it made the Jami look homophobic.  And while I'm on the subject of the adoption, I get Jami wanting to thank her birth mom.  How about a thank you to the adoptive mom, too ?  For all we know, the adoptive mom has lived with Grandma all along and that's why Grandma had so much to do with Jami's upbringing.  That may be why Jami didn't get an exercise room makeover.  Maybe Grandma's home didn't have enough room for one.   

Also glossed over was the fact that Jami, while eating 400 calories a day, was running.  That's something that takes endurance and conditioning.  I think she must have started running pre-Chris Powell, yet she has to do that treadmill walk and get all tired from it ?  I don't get it.

Jami "got" to work out with Heidi Powell ?  Is Heidi gunning for her own show  of some sort ? Does she already have one ?   The whole scene looked sort of famewhorish to me.  Besides, Heidi Powell looks dangerously thin.  YMMV.

Edited by Merree, Jul 10, 2013 @ 7:43 AM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

Who brags about leaving their employer and a class full of kids in the lurch?

I thought that was total fame-ho-ing on the part of the employer.  Note the school's name was featured heavily throughout those segments.  Who tells their (probably low wage) employee with a serious health issue that leaving with short notice for her health and a great opportunity is "a problem" for them?  The show probably agreed to show their school name 5 times if they played up some drama. 

I didn't see the kids left in the lurch.  That school looked affluent.  So you hire a new dorm monitor for the last month of school.

I don't know why the mothers agree to play up some drama.  Even if you are a shitty mother, you're not stupid enough to berate your kid on tv cameras for not bringing enough forks.  I think the show talks people into bringing drama.  I don't even believe the suicide stuff, for sure. 

I figure smallish Jami got picked because ABC wanted a bikini 'after' and with her skin issues, she was going to be a good before/after for that reason, also.  I kind of liked her.  I think she was happy to get some jabs in at her mother and employers, which is kind of funny. 

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

How about a thank you to the adoptive mom, too ? 

YES!! This bugged me big time.  Its not like adopted Mom physically abused her because we know all well and good Jamie would have outed that also to all of America.  There is too much of the "grass is greener in Chile" syndrome for me. Ok Jamie, grow up homeless on the streets in Chile instead of in a comfy American home and see how you like it.  Her bitterness at the Mom who voluntarily took on raising her really bugged me. 

I would up and quit my job right this second  if I were paid to lose weight for a year.  I assume they get a stipend for being on the show, along with walmart buying all of their food.

It looks joyless to have to train so much and be so buff, like Chris'  stick of a wife.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

What I heard her say was that her adoptive mom said that the only reason that she adopted Jami was so that Jami would take care of her when the mom got old. Jami said she didn't want to do that and that she wanted to take care of herself. The bit in the beginning at the (adopted)  grandma's party, the adoptive mom seemed like a colossal bitch just in that little clip, bitching about the fucking forks, trying to get Jami to eat the non-diet party food, passing the rolls right in front of Jami's nose. Jesus.

She was so seriously messed up at the beginning of the show I almost deleted it without watching, but after reading the thread I decided to watch, knowing I could ff through any intolerable parts.

So she's 5'6"; She started at 292 lbs and lost 39 lbs in the first month. Impressive. She was assigned 1200 calories. Not sure how she survived on 400 calories on some days while exercising 8 hours a day. Would she not burn muscle (and fat) or is a real thing? the losing muscle part, I mean.

That 1.2 mile pool was freaking gorgeous.

Its not like adopted Mom physically abused her because we know all well and good Jamie would have outed that also to all of America. 

I wasn't there, but I got a strong vibe that the adoptive mom verbally and or psychologically abused Jami. Starting with, "the only reason I adopted you..." Some verbal abuse scars are very hard to heal, imo and can be just as bad as physical abuse.

Edited by ari333, Jul 10, 2013 @ 10:00 AM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Would she not burn muscle (and fat)

Any time you're losing significant weight, you're losing both muscle and fat.  It takes a lot of muscle to hold up a 300 lb. body and move it around.  You don't need that much at healthier weights. 

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

That 1.2 mile pool was freaking gorgeous.

It was, but why was she the only one in it?  You would think at least a few other people would be using the pool on what looked to be a beautiful day.  If other people weren't allowed to use it during filming, that's just wrong.  Can you imagine forking over big bucks for a vacation, then being told you can't use the pool because of a TV show?

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Maybe it was too cold for swimming for tourists. 

I thought it was kind of rude they made her film her whole last scene half-dressed when the rest of the group was huddled inside parkas.  Sure, we want to see her but toss her a shawl or something for the bulk of the chit-chat. 

DangerousMinds

DangerousMinds

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

Someone who only adopted Jami to have someone to take care of her ( the adoptive mom) in her old age could have done so a lot more easily than adopting someone from overseas. The adoptive mom's sexuality had nothing to do with what we were presented last night.  

i'm not sure why it would have been easier to adopt from the US? Jami was 2 when she was adopted and learned English. Also, I know it's often easier to adopt from other countries, especially when the woman is single and older.

Weird - I totally missed the mention of her mom's sexuality. I must not have been paying full attention. That does seem unnecessary to mention in the context of this show.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

Nothing personal against Jami, I really hate that catch phrase, "amaze balls." [/nitpick/shallow/old]

While I'm bitching, I also hate that one that's... now I can't think of it... something --" cakes.." She didn't say that one; I'm just throwing it in.

shibori

shibori

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

I thought adopted mom seemed pretty nasty, and I wasn't just taking Jami's word for that.  My thought with reality shows is that if that's how she talked to her daughter with a camera there, without one will likely be much worse.  Jami seemed a little immature, but she had a lot of strikes against her.  For one, she was adopted as a toddler, not a newborn, so she grew up not just with the usual adoption stigma, but knowing that her mother kept her for awhile and then gave her up.  Then whatever the skin condition was, that was noticeable and pretty severe- I guarantee she's taken crap for that from other kids.  Then on top of that, her adoptive mom seemed like one of those people who's just incapable of showing affection.  That's gotta be hard for a kid with all the other issues to boot.

I also interpreted that one comment as the mom telling Jami she only adopted someone to take care of her in her old age.  I love my parents dearly, and they're pretty awesome, but that would be a pretty devastating thing for them to say to me.  You can hope that parents create a loving, supportive home where kids *want* to take care of their parents later, but that's also a huge burden and shouldn't be expected.  You chose to adopt a child.  The child didn't choose to be born or be adopted. 

I did think it was tacky of her to quit the job on the spot.  A week or two wouldn't have significantly changed things- she had already left for the original boot camp and come back, and now was going to be at home. 

I also felt bad because she had one of those bodies that had some odd proportions going on, and will probably never look completely "normal" even with the rest of the weight off.  It's a hard realization to lose all that only to find that to some extent, the damage is done and that you still don't look like everyone else.

This episode also made me question the supposed mental health screening that reality producers swear happens on these types of shows.  Why wasn't this girl in therapy?  Especially after her tendency towards an eating disorder and admitting she was suicidal (whether you believe her or not).  She should have been evaluated and seeing a therapist.  And if it happened, it should have been mentioned.  It's really dangerous to take someone with genuine mental health issues and assume some diet and exercise will make everything better.  Chris isn't a mental health professional by a long shot, and it's irresponsible to ignore the mental health component for the types of people they generally put on this show.

ETA- I missed the whole Mom is gay thing?  When did that happen?  I lost some of the broadcast from weather interruptions.

Edited by shibori, Jul 10, 2013 @ 1:22 PM.

zillabreeze

zillabreeze

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

YES! YES! Lindenholly!  I go crazy with that stupid fluctuating numbers thing on the scale.  It is beyond ridiculous and serves no purpose whatsoever.   I'm sure the producers think it builds suspense, but it doesn't.  And.... not a few pounds variation but I've seen it go 30 or 40 over then under. STUPID!

Even the oldest, cheapest home scales would only wiggle a pound or two and only for a second.

End rant.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

YES! YES! Lindenholly! I go crazy with that stupid fluctuating numbers thing on the scale.

That's always my cue to ff the DVR cause commercials are on the way.  I saw Jami admitting to teeth whitening, but she also had her brows and hair done professionally at some point during the first 6 months. Glad she lost the weight, hope she can be happy.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

The adoptive mom seemed like one of those people who criticize just for the hell of it about things that can be done just fine in  more than one way. She hates the salmon "that you have in my house." So don't eat it. I like how Jami just smiled. Agreed if the "mom" was that bitchy on camera, yikes to whatever happens away from a camera.  "So you're slicing the tomatoes that way?" "So you're wearing that?"  "Hey, fill-in-name-here, there's a dieter's diet food for Fatty McFattys on the menu. Did you see it?" "So you're having dressing on that salad?" She didn't say those things, but I so know folks like that. And it's illegal and wrong to punch them in the face. The skin thing looked very serious. By the end it looked much better though. I wish they had shared more of that. That girl had a lot of guts to get weighed in the swim suit and to take her dress off in front of everyone. AWKWARD. 

Edited by ari333, Jul 10, 2013 @ 2:26 PM.

spikester

spikester

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

I was reading reviews on Trip Advisor about that hotel, and apparently it is similar to time share condos.  It isn't very close to Santiago either, so it is weird that she went to that resort when she was going to be in Santiago. 

I couldn't decide if I liked her or not.  She certainly ended up with nice muscles, but the whining was really over the top.  This is the 2nd person this season who was adopted and unhappy. 

If she took to exercise so well, why didn't she use the facilities at the school?  And knowing that she was so unhappy, why not get some therapy?  She didn't need to have Chris "save" her. 

Papisaurus

Papisaurus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

The adoption thing frustrates me so much. I am adopted, and trust me, there is no "stigma" in it - if anything, adoption should be GOOD for your self esteem (your parents wanted you so badly that they went through an emptionally taxing and expensive process to get you; on average, adoptive (not foster) families are middle class or higher so you are likely better off socioeconomically; your mom can't pull the "i was in labor for 15 hours!" guilt trip ;) ). unless, of course, you are a whiny person who needs to latch on to whatever thing you can to blame your unhappiness on. If they weren't adopted, these whiny people would say they were unhappy because kids at school made fun of them, or because they felt left out, or because they were not rich enough/different/my wife and I broke up and she briefly contemplated dating someone else (looking at you, husband from last week)/etc. Some people just want to be victims. I sometimes wonder if they seek out "victim" types for shows like these because it leads to more dramatic "will he/she give up?" moments. For me it definitely makes the episode more dramatic: will my eyes roll out of my head? Will I go hoarse from alternately yelling at the TV and sarcastically "agreeing" with the contestants? Find out next hour, on Papisaurus Watches Extreme Makeover Weight Loss.

Side note: Heidi Powell definitely seems too thin, and she posts weird stuff on her website about how pregnancy is wrecking her body because, for instance, it takes her a few seconds longer now to complete 50 burpees. That baby is going to come out with a 6 pack. Must be weird to be raised by crazed fitness junkies. I bet the kids will rebel in high school by, like, scarfing Doritos in front of them :)