What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23213 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 10:30 PM

It sounds like Arthur trying to convince the public that his performance on the show wildly understates his awesomeness.

Thanks for cracking me up.

I thought tonight's show was pretty good. I liked the Book Covers category. I don't know if they've had that before, but it's a fun one.

FJ seemed too easy to me, but then Leslie didn't get it right so… :shrug:

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 10:33 PM

I feel like I'm missing something and hope you can help...but this week the champions are from the '80's but one was a champion in 1991 and one was from 1992. I don't get it.

I thought I was the only one who got nervous watching Arthur; I should have come here sooner. I hate the board hopping so much but it's his rapid fire delivery that really makes me anxious. Also he appears humorless.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 10:35 PM

FJ seemed too easy to me, but then Leslie didn't get it right so… :shrug:

Looked to me like she remembered Shirley and blanked on the last name.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 11:02 PM

I feel like I'm missing something and hope you can help...but this week the champions are from the '80's but one was a champion in 1991 and one was from 1992. I don't get it.

Technically, the "decades" are the first 10 years of the Trebek version, second 10 years, and third 10 years. Since the show started in 1984, players from 1984 to 1993 would be eligible. So the 80s is inaccurated, but probably chosen for its simplicity & brevity.

I think I'd actually prefer match-ups with one player from each decade. That would allow opportunities to compare eras (although factors like age would make it an imperfect comparison).

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:13 AM

Back to a comment yruneh said about Arthur's complaint of only getting a month's notice--when I tested back in the day (1997) I knew I was in the contestant pool when I left the audition. I didn't know when I would be called but I started studying then. It didn't do me any good except on one question. My only regret is that I should have at least scanned a book on Shakespeare. So there's that. He has a pretty broad knowledge base so I don't know what his problem is.

Roger Craig looked unbeatable too, but he only lasted six days. He did the same thing Arthur's doing, but was a lot more ballsy on his DD wagering.

TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

Arthur turned me off with his handling of the $5 Daily Double.  His complete dismissal of the question showed to me that he wasn't respecting the game enough.  Quick...name a sport.  Can't?  Really?

And as soon as you decide that you would like to try out for the show, that's when the clock should start on your preparation.

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

I worry that Arthur's success on the show will inspire more players to behave like him. I don't like the board-jumping, but I accept that some players think it helps them win. It really is all his other antics that make me detest him: the staring down opponents;  the talking over Alex; the incessant mashing of the buzzer; the way he spits out answers as if he's almost offended by the clues.

Based solely on his breadth of knowledge, he could easily be someone I'd root for. But I can't root for him because he's such a jerk. You can be really good at a game without being a bad sport. I can't wait until someone beats his joyless, smug ass.

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

I don't know why or how Arthur has captured a bunch of media attention.  There's at least one of him every season, isn't there?  I remember last year there was a dude named Andrew, I think, who used the same strategy, and who I remember as being at least equally annoying as Arthur, and who I believe had a longer winning streak.  I don't remember any puff pieces being written about him, but then I don't think he was all over twitter or whatever seeking attention.  That kind of stuff just adds to my perception of Arthur as a self-important tool.

I believe Alex said no, but then asked for more, and he said molecular cooking, and then said no. Second guy said cuisine, said no. Then came back and gave it to the second but not the first, which I agree wasn't right. They're either both right or both wrong.

The first guy said just molecular, the second guy said molecular cooking and Alex said the reason was they were asking for a two word term.

I rewatched.  Jim said "molecular," and Alex asked for another word, and Jim said, "molecular cuisine."  Alex said that was wrong. Chuck had already rung in to scoop up the question, so Alex turned to him, and Chuck answered molecular cooking; Alex said that was wrong as well.  Then after the break they ruled Chuck right.  I think if molecular cooking could be accepted, they should've gone back to Jim's answer of molecular cuisine and accepted that.  It's really neither here nor there because both are wrong in my book, but how it played out on the show doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by Lois Sandborne, Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:36 AM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

Another annoying part of the article is when Arthur decries that he was only notified he would be on the show a month in advance so he didn't have much time to prepare.

Please, once you decided to take the test, you should be preparing.  For me, while I had two weeks notice that I was actually going to be on, that had been just over a year since I had passed the test and knew I was in the contestant pool. It was actually a week after I had given up getting The Call.  And, what is there to prepare?  At some point, you kind of either know things or you don't. 

Edited by M. Darcy, Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:35 AM.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

http://www.salon.com...broke_jeopardy/

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

From the Salon article: "You have, keeping Chu off-air for a time, a group of people who won the game by sticking to a script that’s, now, been proven inferior. And you have in the person of Chu a revolutionary." Geez, you'd think Chu had won 50 games in a row instead of just, what, four or five? The hosannas are WAY premature, if you ask me.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 2:28 PM

From the Salon article: "You have, keeping Chu off-air for a time, a group of people who won the game by sticking to a script that’s, now, been proven inferior. And you have in the person of Chu a revolutionary." Geez, you'd think Chu had won 50 games in a row instead of just, what, four or five? The hosannas are WAY premature, if you ask me.

Totally agree. I think this speaks to the media practice of pretending whatever is happening right now is the most significant thing that has ever happened.

In the four games Arthur has played, he's had just one lock game. I looked up the stats, and both Roger Craig and David Madden had locks in three of their first four games. Many players have had multiple lock games. Arthur four-game total is almost the same as Frank Spangenberg's five-game total. Which sounds impressive . . . until you remember that the clue values were half as much when Frank played. Arthur's best Coryat score (which essential calculates correct responses without the wagering) in his four games is barely above Ken Jennings's average Coryat score in his whole run. Two of Arthur's four Coryat scores are barely above the single worst Coryat score Ken had in his entire 75 episode run. I'm sure there are a numerous less famous players who would also compared favorably to Arthur statistically, but I just picked out some big names.

Arthur is a good player. But the media coverage is wildly overstating his accomplishments thus far.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

Oh, if FJ was true last night, that's really sick.  Who would want to go see someone stoned to death? 

Edited by M. Darcy, Feb 5, 2014 @ 2:31 PM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

As proud of himself as he already was, this is going to add all manner of irritation for those of us who have long since grown tired of his "revolutionary" ways.  I hate his style of playing as it smacks of bad sportsmanship.  This media attention is just silly after 4 games - lets wait until he as proven himself.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 3:17 PM

What would be funny is that after all this press, on his next appearance he loses his first game.  The thing is the press should have no idea how many games he has won -  we were told you are not allowed to say how you did on the internet or to the media.  I think we even had to sign an agreement saying so.  If he loses the next game, he probably wouldn't even make the tournament of champions with only four wins. 

J19

J19

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:29 PM

Shouldn't today's FJ response have been the element, silver, not the symbol, Ag?  I think Tom should be ruled incorrect.  They seem to be looking for the element not the symbol.  Both were accepted as correct.

Question was: Of the element symbols that don't match the element's English name, this element's symbol is alphabetically 1st.  Key part is "this element's" not "this symbol."

Leslie was really annoyingly animated.

Edited by J19, Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:48 PM.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:57 PM

Shouldn't today's FJ response have been the element, silver, not the symbol AG?  I think Tom should be ruled incorrect.  They seem to be looking for the element not the symbol.  Both were accepted as correct.

I agree with you. The wording asked for the element, not the symbol. Tom basically basically was allowed to cut out a step by just stopping at the alphabetically first non-matching symbol and not having to come up with the element it matches. And I don't think it should be assumed that he knew the right element. I used to confuse silver (Ag) with gold (Au). One can remember seeing Ag on the periodic table, but forget which one it is. After all, it's non-matching. Furthermore, if one were to nitpick, the second letter of the symbol is lower-case. Wasn't there an FJ about the phonetic/radio alphabet where a contestant gave the wrong response of the letter vs. the word? This seems like that situation.

It pained me that Devonian was a triple stumper. Didn't any of them read dinosaur books as kids. Rob threw out a random epoch, because Pleistocene is way too recent. And there's no Cumbrian period. It's Cambrian, from a name (Latin?) for Wales.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:58 PM

Awww - I thought Leslie was delightful. She seemed to be having so much fun.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 8:41 PM

Shouldn't today's FJ response have been the element, silver, not the symbol, Ag?  I think Tom should be ruled incorrect.  They seem to be looking for the element not the symbol.  Both were accepted as correct.

DEFINITELY!  You are so right!  I was screaming at my TV when Alex said that his answer was correct - and I liked Tom.

I very carefully read the answer twice and made sure that they were asking for the name of the element and not the name of the symbol.

This reminded me of a long-ago FJ answer about sitcom characters that said more or less "This character created by Gary David Whatever was supposed to be an irritating PITA but the actor made him lovable."  The correct question was "Who is Alex P. Keaton?"  Someone wrote "Who is Michael J. Fox?" and he was deemed incorrect, and rightly so.  This was EXACTLY like what happened today, only Alex said that Tom's question was acceptable.

ITA that the symbol is Ag and not AG, although if last night, someone had written "Who is SHIRLEY JACKSON?" instead of "Who is Shirley Jackson?" I'm sure that would have been okay.  And why was "Who is Jackson" acceptable?  Was there only one female writer in 1948 named Jackson?

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:05 PM

Add me to the list of those surprised they allowed the symbol as a correct response.  I thought they specifically asked for the element, not the symbol.

I used to confuse silver (Ag) with gold (Au).

I went through the elements, and said "Ag - Gold!"  What an idiot...

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:14 PM

I thought they specifically asked for the element, not the symbol.

They did!

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:26 PM

I, too, was annoyed by accepting the symbol for the element rather than the name of the element itself given the wording of the clue.  In another context in which silver was the answer and a hurried contestant had written "What is Ag?" I could see accepting it, but here where there is too much possibility a contestant simply chose a symbol early in the alphabet without knowing the element it indicated, I'd have never let that fly.

I can't believe Maureen O'Hara was a TS despite her picture being shown.  I'm also surprised Baby M was a TS.  I liked Leslie, but her repeated - yet incorrect - certainty Baby Jessica was the answer was making me embarassed for her.  She's the one who fell down a well, silly.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:56 PM

Yes, none of them knowing Maureen O'Hara was surprising. It's not like they were 20-something's. 

Alex cracked me up when before Leslie's FJ answer was revealed, he said, "I hope it's not Jessica."

Man, there were a lot of TSs. However, I found a lot of the clues rather difficult.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2014 @ 11:41 PM

I'm 49 (is that old?) and, I knew who Maureen O'Hara was. Anyhoo, I thought AG was going to be ruled incorrect, too. Maybe, the writers were think of the Breaking Bad element chart. It was a head scratcher. That said, I was suprised how "not smart" this group was. Not that I would know the answers but I was surprised that they weren't "smarter".

Edited by ByaNose, Feb 5, 2014 @ 11:41 PM.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 5:46 AM

And why was "Who is Jackson" acceptable?  Was there only one female writer in 1948 named Jackson?

I did a quick Google search under "female writers Jackson" and Shirley was the only one who came up in that time frame. Others were earlier or later. (I thought of Helen Hunt Jackson, who lived and died in the 1800's.) But then again, there was only one President Bush during 1989-93, so if a clue were to come up mentioning a date from then, would "Who was Bush?" be acceptable? 

I agree on the Ag/silver question--the chemical symbol should have been ruled incorrect.

I'd love to see at least one woman make the semis. Thus far, they've all done fine during the game and then blown it in FJ.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

How did I not know that Richard Corddry was a 5-time Jeopardy champ?!?  Either that, or I knew but forgot. When they showed his face, I was all, "Hey, it's the head of the CPAB!" 

divanspud

divanspud

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

Leslie was really annoyingly animated.

Thank you. Every time there is someone like this, or a board hopper, annoying buzzer clicker, etc., I tell my husband "The Pity" people are not going to like this!!

I feel validated when at least someone ends up having the same opinion. Dial it down a bit. :)

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

My DVR automatically tapes all "Jeopardy" shows, and ordinarily I delete them right after I watch them, but I did not delete yesterday's show yet. I double-checked what the FJ answer was, and it was this:

Of the element symbols that don't match the element's English name, this element's symbol is alphabetically 1st.

Except for the "st" in "1st" being in superscript in the FJ answer, the above is exactly what the FJ answer was.

Note it says "this element's symbol." Meaning "this element," not "this symbol." If the answer had said "this one," I can see where the contestants could have been confused, but it didn't.

I haven't been this angry since the time the question should have been "Who was Frankenstein's monster?" and the question "Who was Frankenstein?" was accepted. Frankenstein and the monster were two distinct entities. Even someone who never read the book or saw the movie would know that. I wondered, while sitting at home, if I had been a contestant and had said "Who was Frankenstein's monster?" if that would have been accepted. (It's too bad that the book's title wasn't "Frankenstein's Monster" and that the monster wasn't given a name.)

jeff6286

jeff6286

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

The thing about accepting Ag is that it is an accepted standard with precedents in FJ to take certain widely-known and distinguishing abbreviations. I'm pretty sure they've taken FDR, JFK, LBJ, possibly MLK. They've taken Trafalgar Sq. I haven't yet found an instance of them taking an element's symbol, but I would not be surprised if it has happened before.

There is one other grammatical argument that could claim that the clue was ambiguous. Consider "(this element)'s symbol" vs "this (element's symbol). Ag is an element's symbol, so it fits what "this" is leading to in the second instance. That may seem like a strange way to read that clue, but it doesn't seem completely absurd. 

Someone brought up the example of a clue asking for "this President's wife". Is it asking for the President, or the wife? There are different ways of reading it that can lead a reader to either one. Again, using parentheses, is it "(this President)'s wife", or is it "this (President's wife)"? Abigail Adams is a President's wife, just like Ag is an element's symbol.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

I disagree that 'Ag' should not have been accepted. I consider chemical symbols interchangeable with the element names and I'd consider 'What is H2O' an acceptable answer in the place of 'What is water?'