What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23154 replies to this topic

MandyMouse

MandyMouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

And one other weird note about Keith Whitener - I always called him "Teeth Whitener." Juvenile, I know...

Interestingly, perhaps, there's a message board where he uses TeethWhitener as his own handle.

Add me to the "shouting answers to Triple Stumpers at the screen" crowd. I think Stairway to Heaven was the most shocking one to me.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

I knew what song they were referring to, from the episode of The Simpsons when Bart sells his soul to Millhouse, but I didn't know the name of it...thought it was In the Garden of Eden

The maybe mythical story about the title is that it WAS In the Garden of Eden, but a probably stoned band member slurred it as In A Gadda Da Vida when asked for the name, and it stuck.

Add me to the "shouting answers to Triple Stumpers at the screen" crowd. I think Stairway to Heaven was the most shocking one to me

I'd probably agree, but there were so many easy ones. Helter Skelter? Balcony? Automat? Arthur C Clarke? Marathon?

A painful game to watch.

Edited by Rickster, Nov 7, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I wish they would air Tue's episode today even though it may be horrible. I can't watch the teacher shows. Are there three of them, or do they continue into next week?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

I didn't get Jeopardy here. When and where do you all get to see Tuesday's show?

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I didn't get Jeopardy here. When and where do you all get to see Tuesday's show?

If you find out, let me know. I didn't get my episode either. Darn it.

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I wish I had been playing this game...just went back through the archive and I could have gotten $13,000 off triple stumpers alone (and that's not all of them, just the ones I knew). Since I also ended up knowing FJ, it would have been possible to win this game without beating anyone to the buzzer.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Can anyone explain why they are starting all their tournaments now in the middle of the week? It really offends my sense of order...

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

In some parts of the country, like where I am in Chicago, it airs in mid afternoon, so is rarely pre-empted for news events. Not sure if it's on line somewhere.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

I think Paul reminds me a little of Tom Cruise, a slightly chubby Tom Cruise.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

The Teacher's Tournament has its detractors, but today's game was genuinely exciting and I didn't think the questions were dumbed down (a frequent complaint). I felt bad for Grace, missing FJ for leaving out the "g" in "Waiting". I don't think I've ever seen this happen before. I know that they don't credit a contestant who doesn't finish writing the last word, so I guess this is the same thing. I wondered about the fact that the title is a translation of the French "En Attendant Godot"--might this somehow allow for a small spelling variation in English?

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I felt bad for Grace, missing FJ for leaving out the "g" in "Waiting".

I know! Especially considering how nice she was to the other contestants when they did well on DDs/category runs.

I wondered about the fact that the title is a translation of the French "En Attendant Godot"--might this somehow allow for a small spelling variation in English?

Interesting point.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

And didn't the winner last night in FJ answer the question as "What Waiting for Godot." - where was the "is"?

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

The verb isn't required (although they prefer that you remember). I don't remember exactly when, but this happened before, so they're consistent on that ruling.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

Tonight (Thursday) we got the game that others got yesterday.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

The same thing happened in my market, which I thought might happen since that is how the last pre-emption was handled. Presumably we'll catch up on Saturday, when we get Friday's episode rather than an old one.

That poor woman could have just kicked herself when she realized the left off the "g" and I felt sorry for her; it's not as if she wrote "Waitin' for Godot," indicating she had the title of the play wrong in her head, she just had the misfortune of forgetting a letter at the end rather than in the middle (had she written "Wating for Godot," for example, I think they would have chalked that up to a spelling error consistent with pronunciation and given it to her).

cccpr

cccpr

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Triple stumpers on ExxonMobil and the National Weather Service? Wow.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

That poor woman could have just kicked herself when she realized the left off the "g" and I felt sorry for her; it's not as if she wrote "Waitin' for Godot," indicating she had the title of the play wrong in her head, she just had the misfortune of forgetting a letter at the end rather than in the middle (had she written "Wating for Godot," for example, I think they would have chalked that up to a spelling error consistent with pronunciation and given it to her).

I don't know, to me "wating" would be pronounced like "whating". I'm also not sure how liberal they would be in the spelling of a title. Would "King Leer" be OK?

Not to spoil tonight's FJ, but there's quite an uproar on other boards. The category is US Cities, and the answer is technically not a city (I had the wrong answer regardless of how the municipality was incorporated).

Edited by Rickster, Nov 9, 2012 @ 12:50 AM.

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

I'm also not sure how liberal they would be in the spelling of a title. Would "King Leer" be OK?

Probably. There was a final Jeopardy where they wanted "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and the three answers were "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner," and "Rime of Ancient Mariner." The only answer they didn't accept was the last one (you can't leave out non-leading articles).

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Not to spoil tonight's FJ, but there's quite an uproar on other boards. The category is US Cities, and the answer is technically not a city (I had the wrong answer regardless of how the municipality was incorporated).

I'm in the same boat as you. I guessed Plymouth, for what it's worth. I'm a bit surprised that it caused such an uproar.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I did get the right answer, but thought to myself, "Wait, that's not a city, is it?"

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Teebax, I had the same answer you did.

I could see where defining the category as "cities" could cause someone who didn't automatically know the answer from the other info in the clue to dismiss some possible answers.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

And "nene" as a triple stumper? Don't any of these people do crosswords? That's the only way I got it. RE: the Cities FJ, since I don't know how to do spoilers, all I'll say is that I was in the right neighborhood,but picked the other city.

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I told myself I'm going to stop questioning the triple stumpers since there are plenty of answers I miss that others get right, but I just can't do it. Nobody knew about cats in bookstores? How sad. I went for the obvious on FJ and picked the fire instead of the Hindenburg. I didn't bother to do the math, which would have gotten me to the correct answer. Doh!

I liked the elements category.

This teachers' tournament is, on the whole, much better than the last one, IMO.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

This teachers' tournament is, on the whole, much better than the last one, IMO.

Agreed. Maybe they were impressed with the quality of last year's contestants and decided to use questions are are in the same caliber as the regular show.

hanzz

hanzz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Regarding spelling, we were told by the contestant producers in our debriefing that officially it's the judges call but the cardinal rule seems to be if it can still be pronounced the same way despite your spelling, then they'll allow it. Various incorrect answers over the years have been "Bejamin Franklin" and "Vilnuis", although I'm hard pressed to remember any particular misspelled correct answer. I do wonder if they would have accepted my recent Learned League answer of Ausage County for Osage County, as the commissioner kindly did.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Kind of the French spelling there?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Holy crap; the binary numeral system was a triple stumper among a trio of teachers?

I forgot to record Saturday night's episode to catch the Friday game (we were a game behind last week due to election coverage), so I'm off to check the archive, but tonight's episode seemed just okay; I cannot believe one of the contestants missed FJ, which I thought could have only been easier had it been an audio clue. On the whole, though, I like this teacher's tournament much more than last year's.

Having checked the archive for Friday's episode ... holy crap again. The Gilded Age, CBS, the afterlife, lambast and bookstore cats as triple stumpers? I'm tempted to add GAC to the list, since I don't know that I have ever watched a minute of programming yet know what it stands for, but it's not nearly as shocking as CBS. And I can't believe the contestant who got the DD didn't know a constitutional amendment requires ratification by 3/4 states.

Going back to the bookstores, while bitching I must call out my own ignorance; I had no idea Borders was no more. I deliberately shop only at independent bookstores, but that seems a major business story I have no excuse to have missed.

Like teebax, I loved the Elements category.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I cannot believe one of the contestants missed FJ, which I thought could have only been easier had it been an audio clue.

I missed it. I won't tell you what I guessed because you'll laugh at me, but I wasn't even close.

And I can't believe the contestant who got the DD didn't know a constitutional amendment requires ratification by 3/4 states.

That did surprise me, but I'm clearly in no position to judge! Still beating myself up over FJ.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

I thought one possibly confusing element in last night's FJ was that one might think only the pronouns changed in the song, when other words change as well.

I think the knowledge of cats and bookstores is correlated with the number of independent bookstores where one lives. There is only one independent bookstore I know of within 15 miles of where I live (and it doesn't have a cat) while there were 5 Borders, which made the Borders question much easier for me.

Mabe it's just me, but it seems that the difficulty of the questions relative to the dollar value has become more randomized lately. For example, last night connecting the Forest of Arden with As You Like It was easier than remembering a minor character in Henry V, or even the name of Hamlet's father (which I doubt is ever directly mentioned in the play).

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

even the name of Hamlet's father (which I doubt is ever directly mentioned in the play).

It's not listed in the stage directions (he's just Ghost), but I think the name is mentioned a couple times (I think they might refer to him as old Hamlet or Claudius refers to "our brother Hamlet's death" or something like that). Plus, if Jeopardy leaves out something really obvious, that's usually a hint -- if the answer weren't Hamlet, they probably would have put the name Hamlet in the $400 clue.

There have been some clues in weird places lately, though.