What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23202 replies to this topic

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

Wouldn't Druids or Druidess count at all? I said, "Druids", so would I been ruled incorrectly on that.

"Druids" was the correct answer so you were right. The contestant said "Druidess", and they gave it to her.

I really like Elyse, last night's winner and I also really like Monday night's winner...I'll have to root for them both.

I also questioned the Washington Bridge response and yes, FJ was an instaget. But I think it was appropriate for a Teen Tournament.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

But, to pick a nit, it's not the only bridge between NYC and New Jersey. The Outerbridge Crossing connects Perth Amboy to Staten Island.

Plus there's the Goethals Bridge between NJ and Staten Island.

I agree Washington should not have been allowed. Alex should have prompted for more information.

I'll admit I'm pretty hopeless on the pop music questions in the teen tournaments.

Edited by Rickster, May 9, 2012 @ 8:36 AM.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

My 3 cents on Washington Bridge/GWB.I was also bothered that Washington Bridge was allowed. Having grown up & lived most of my life in NYC, never heard that bridge called the Washington Bridge. I have heard the 2nd bridge called the "Little" Washington Bridge. But I did learn today that it's official name is the Washington Bridge.Thanks,jeff6286.
About it not being the only bridge between NY/NJ, if I recall, the clue was very specific about 2 decks of traffic w/12 lanes in each, plus they gave the amount of cable used in the bridge.
Was also bothered by the badly written "upgrade/upsize" clue & glad that they reversed the ruling for the 2 players.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Yeah, I thought it was lame to count that. Especially with the mention of the actual Washington Bridge by another poster. It's a proper name, and it's never known as the Washington Bridge. But, to pick a nit, it's not the only bridge between NYC and New Jersey. The Outerbridge Crossing connects Perth Amboy to Staten Island.

Staten Island? Oh, is that a part of New York City? (Just kidding, Staten Islanders!)

Seriously, you're right, I forgot the Outerbridge Crossing* and also the Goethals Bridge between Elizabeth and SI. I should have said "... between Manhattan and New Jersey."

*OT but interesting fact: I did not know until just now that the Outerbridge Crossing is actually named for someone named Eugenius Outerbridge. Like many other people, I though it was given its name for being at the far southwestern edge of the city. Silly me, because then it would have been the Outer Bridge Crossing or something like that.

Edited by A Little Edgy, May 9, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I really enjoy learning something new on Jeopardy that I had never heard of before. I've been on this planet many decades but learned a new fact today. I'll be interested to see if you all already knew this: it has to do with southern plantations....

I too am enjoying this teen tournament - and I never watch them - but these young men and women remind me of why I so enjoyed teaching high school. When you can get them engaged, and when they enjoy learning new things, they can be so pleasant to be around! I never had one parent come to open house and say, "You know, I didn't enjoy my kids much when they were little, but now that they're teenagers, they're really fun to have around..."

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Thanks. I was wondering about the correct usage of Druids. I thought for certain it was just Druids, instead of Druidess...I never heard of that before.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Thanks. I was wondering about the correct usage of Druids. I thought for certain it was just Druids, instead of Druidess...I never heard of that before.

You're welcome! I never heard of Druidess before either, but I guess it isn't really wrong, just making it a feminine form when it didn't really need to be.

Re the "They're in the Band" category last night, I didn't get a single answer and had only even heard of a couple of the bands...I feel so old.

Something from last week amused me, wonder if anyone else noticed it...the boy who got the Justin Beiber question actually had a JB haircut and resembled him a fair bit.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

That Sphinx FJ was like the instaget of instagets. I've found a few of the FJs in this tournament to be really easy, moreso than I'd expect given the level of the clues during the actual game play, but that was just ridiculous. I really don't like when there are super easy FJs because it pretty much gives the game automatically to the person leading going into FJ, barring a really stupid wager.

Also, on the topic of FJs, I find it really irritating that in the first round of tournaments, including this one, they don't do a better job of maintaining a fairly consistent difficulty level for FJ. I know it's a difficult thing to judge, and of course my own opinion of what's difficult and what's not is just my own opinion, but if some days are triple gets and others are triple stumpers that might hint at a discrepancy. The problem I have with that inconsistency in the first rounds of tournaments is that it screws with the wild card system. The folks who played on the day with the tough FJ--a triple stumper, for instance--have much less chance of making the semis in a wild card slot.

(Actually, I think it's a balance - the standard categories are fairly easy, but the popular culture categories are much harder if you're over ... 25 or so, maybe? In the end, I'm think I'm doing about as well as usual overall).

I've been keeping track of my Coryat scores for the last month+ and they're significantly higher during this Teen Tournament, so I do think the clues are taken down a pretty big step compared to the regular show. But not so much that it's embarrassingly easy, and there hasn't been a huge emphasis on recent pop culture, which is nice. And one thing that's been kind of interesting to see is in at least a couple of games the contestants haven't seemed very eager to hit the pop culture categories either. In yesterday's game the bands were saved for last, for example, though those weren't all recent (which clearly challenged them, since there were a couple triple stumpers there, but it made it easier for me).

I really like Elyse, last night's winner and I also really like Monday night's winner...I'll have to root for them both.

I really like all the kids I've seen in this tournament, which is a nice position to be in. I admit I was rooting somewhat for Evan in yesterday's game--I don't know why, but I just find the slight bounciness/antsiness he has charming!--but Elyse is great as well.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Damn! What was going on with that audience that made a ruckus out of that sport question? It sounded like an angry mob to me. That was totally weird, but then again, I am not part of the audience.

LaffyTaffy997

LaffyTaffy997

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

In the studio they didn't actually show the picture of Eli Manning. I can't remember the actual wording of the clue, but I guess his answer, Aaron Rogers, could have been the correct.

Alex explained this after the commercial break, and the kid got his points back

Edited by LaffyTaffy997, May 9, 2012 @ 10:05 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Re the "They're in the Band" category last night, I didn't get a single answer and had only even heard of a couple of the bands...I feel so old.

I haven't been watching this tournament, but I went to check out the archive - as a Giants fan - in the hopes of reading the Eli Manning clue referenced above. Today's game isn't up yet, but I perused the clues from yesterday's game and I, a middle-aged woman, knew three in the band category (although one was a guess), so I was pretty impressed with myself. That The Beastie Boys proved to be a triple stumper makes me incredibly sad, and how very bittersweet to see that clue now in light of MCA's death in the days between taping and airing.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

In the studio they didn't actually show the picture of Eli Manning. I can't remember the actual wording of the clue, but I guess his answer, Aaron Rogers, could have been the correct.

I'm curious to know what the clue was, because I thought that in addition to showing the picture (which didn't actually show, that is) it said it was the MVP of the most recent Super Bowl. In which case Aaron Rodgers is clearly incorrect. But in this case they didn't actually credit Kevin with a correct answer, did they? I thought they just gave back the money he'd lost, presumably deeming the clue unfair given that the picture didn't show up, so that he got zero dollars for the response. But if they actually credited him with a correct response then that doesn't really make sense to me.

That The Beastie Boys proved to be a triple stumper makes me incredibly sad, and how very bittersweet to see that clue now in light of MCA's death in the days between taping and airing.

It's remarkable how often that happens. That is, someone who died will, within a matter of days, show up in a Jeopardy! clue on a show that taped weeks or months earlier.

Edited by smrou, May 10, 2012 @ 6:04 AM.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

I called the answer to FJ last night as soon as Alex revealed the category. I felt bad for the one kid who got it wrong. He looked so disappointed.

I like all the finalists. The one from Oregon, Tuesday night's champion, reminds me of a young Bridget Fonda.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I like all the finalists. The one from Oregon, Tuesday night's champion, reminds me of a young Bridget Fonda.

Elyse, Tuesday's winner, is from Omaha, Nebraska.

I'm curious to know what the clue was, because I thought that in addition to showing the picture (which didn't actually show, that is) it said it was the MVP of the most recent Super Bowl. In which case Aaron Rodgers is clearly incorrect.

The clue only specified a recent Super Bowl MVP, not the most recent MVP, which would make Rodgers a correct answer, as he was the MVP in 2011.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

I really enjoy learning something new on Jeopardy that I had never heard of before. I've been on this planet many decades but learned a new fact today. I'll be interested to see if you all already knew this: it has to do with southern plantations....

If you mean the lawn jockey question, that was news to me too (although I noted they used the word "may" in the clue, so it was not a certainty)

I did not get FJ despite having read the book about a month ago. Couldn't remember the author.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Do I get partial credit for knowing Hunger Games?
I wasn't following the Eli Manning fiasco - did they actually credit back the 1st contestant for a correct response?
I was waiting for Alex's head to explode when he announced 'all-female final'.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Elyse, Tuesday's winner, is from Omaha, Nebraska.

Oregon, Omaha - close enough. Unless of course you live in Omaha.

Oops, my mistake.

Edited by BradyB66, May 10, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I was waiting for Alex's head to explode when he announced 'all-female final'.

I thought he was pretty low-key about it...I expected him to make a bigger deal about it than he did.

Now I like all three finalists pretty much equally...I'll just cheer for them all.

I did not get FJ...I realized it was Hunger Games (only from seeing all the promos on tv), but I had absolutely no idea who the author was.

They did very well on the Silent Movies category, even though they didn't get them all uncovered.

I wasn't following the Eli Manning fiasco - did they actually credit back the 1st contestant for a correct response?

They gave him back the money he lost but he wasn't credited with a correct answer. I couldn't really get what the audience was doing...were they laughing at the contestant (which doesn't seem likely) or were they aghast that the picture didn't show up?

Edited by Trey, May 10, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

The clue only specified a recent Super Bowl MVP, not the most recent MVP, which would make Rodgers a correct answer, as he was the MVP in 2011.

Thanks, aml. I'm not surprised to find my memory was off and now it all makes sense to me.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Not really a spoiler, but after today, Alex is dead to me. I am so eternally tired of the way he has to correct every contestant's pronunciation of a foreign word. It's bad enough when it's an adult, but these are 3 smart, cute, brave young women who each have a broad knowledge base. The category involves French things. See if I'm overreacting. As for now, rant over...

Tory

Tory

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

You're not overreacting, dhall60. Alex drove me nuts with that today, too. Elyse (I think it was) slightly did her pronunciations a little off on a few answers (well, questions). They weren't even that noticeable to me, but of course Alex had to correct her.

I would love to see him play a game just once, to hopefully see him crash and burn.

Catherine is so sweet with the "yes sir" replies to Alex - not that he necessarily deserves it. ;-)

Rose reminds me of a young Mary Louise Parker.

All 3 ladies are so likeable, I'll be happy whoever wins.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Not really a spoiler, but after today, Alex is dead to me. I am so eternally tired of the way he has to correct every contestant's pronunciation of a foreign word. It's bad enough when it's an adult, but these are 3 smart, cute, brave young women who each have a broad knowledge base. The category involves French things. See if I'm overreacting.

I think you are overreacting a little bit; those weren't foreign words, they were foreign proper names, and learning how to pronounce any foreign word correctly is a good thing. There's a reason they don't penalize on mispronunciation, (assuming that the pronunciation is consistent with the correct spelling of the word/name) but the fact of the matter is, how is one supposed to know you're mispronouncing something if someone doesn't correct you?

Edited by aml77, May 10, 2012 @ 7:21 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Yeah, I didn't think Alex was particularly obnoxious in his correcting of pronunciation. However, I do think he was clumsy in correcting Foucault. Ordinarily he first makes it clear that the person is correct and then repeats the name/word with the correct pronunciation, like, "Yes, Foucault." But in this case he didn't do that. He just said, "Foucault," and that seemed to throw Elyse off a bit. I think she wasn't immediately sure she'd gotten it right. Not having said "Yes" or "That's right" or anything before correcting the pronunciation made it seem a little harsh, which I don't think was intended.

Anyway, for FJ I was so confused at first because I knew Africa was one of the continents and by process of elimination I figured the other had to be South America, but I kept thinking that Rio de Janeiro had hosted. I felt so sure of that. So I went with Africa and South America but then immediately googled "olympics rio". And duh, they're hosting them in 2016, which is why I had that association in my head.

This was a game where DJ went much better for me than the first round. I was surprised how much trouble I had with the Wheel of Movies (or whatever it was called) category, because that's the sort of thing I'm usually great at. And then in DJ the TV Shows was a snap for me. Actually, so were the poetry and French people categories. And I was thrilled to see a Physics category since I teach physics, which also means that was an easy category for me.

All 3 ladies are so likeable, I'll be happy whoever wins.

I agree. I'm really finding all three of them to be charming. And, of course, very bright and knowledgeable.

Edited by smrou, May 10, 2012 @ 7:33 PM.

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I often pronounce a lot of the answers incorrectly when watching the show, so when Alex includes the correct pronunciation, I don't find it annoying, I appreciate it since I'm happy to learn how to do it correctly from now on.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I didn't have a problem with Alex and the French names either and agree he was a bit awkward with how he handled Foucault.

I thought FJ was easier than at least half the DJ questions.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:03 AM

I thought FJ was easier than at least half the DJ questions.

It seems to be a trend in this tournament to have particularly easy FJ questions.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

It seems to be a trend in this tournament to have particularly easy FJ questions

It might be that they want to give the kids the chance to win as much money as possible, since it will probably all be going to their education.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Wait - I'm confused - do you count the scores of both games together? That was strange - I don't remember him mentioning that fact so many times in other tournaments.

I thought he was having a lot of trouble hearing the girls - I don't know if that was his normal hearing issues or the fact it was at DAR and not the normal studio.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Wait - I'm confused - do you count the scores of both games together?

Hee.

And yes, I don't know why he felt he needed to keep telling us that. It's not that tough a concept. And it's particularly annoying that he spent so much time talking about scores and such and yet three clues were left on the board. That seems like the wrong use of screen time.

I thought he was having a lot of trouble hearing the girls - I don't know if that was his normal hearing issues or the fact it was at DAR and not the normal studio.

I noticed that, too, and figured it's probably a function of the different acoustics compared to the studio.

Edited by smrou, May 11, 2012 @ 10:29 AM.

Venee

Venee

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Yes! my hometown girl won. I loved her guts in wagering when it came to final Jeopardy both days! My daughter wanted to be on the show so badly. Unfortunately the day they had the online auditions, she had a district orchestra performance. She's a Junior, so maybe next year, although according to Alex Seniors have no chance lol