Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

I ask, "Who is the champion?"

My TV went off on me. Recap, please!

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

I wasn't all that crazy about the book (never saw the movie) but I loved Rebecky.

What's Rebecky?

Rebecky was the spoof of the movie/book done by Carol Burnett on her show. It was hilarious. Of course, it was much funnier if you had seen the movie or read the book.

What was FJ last night? I fell asleep for a few minutes there.

FJ Category: Constellations & Myths

Clue: In Greek myth he became the prey when he was killed by Scorpius; now they're both in the sky.

I did get the answer but wasn't totally sure it was correct.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I ask, "Who is the champion?"

Jacob won again.

SpaceyCadet

SpaceyCadet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I got FJ last night for the reason Alex listed -- "became the prey" indicated to me that he was a hunter, hence Orion. Orion is also one of the very few constellations I can recognize and name, so it's my go-to.

Jacob's fine, but he needs to speed it up a bit when selecting clues.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

That said - watch tonight's game for sure. Much livelier - the contestants must have taped this show after a nice snack and some caffeine....

I don't know that "lively" is a word I'd use to describe yesterday's game. Certainly fewer triple stumpers than the previous game, which was nice, but all three players seemed like sort of slow-moving players. The whole thing seemed lacking in energy.

Was disappointed that "I Lost on Jeopardy" stumped the woman. And also in that same category "Charlie Brown" was a triple stumper. I'm not shocked by that, or anything, but just a little disappointed. Also that we didn't get to see that category completed, since I liked it and knew all four of the clues that were revealed.

Jacob is very lucky. I don't think he's played that great, but he's had weak competition.

I agree. I like him fine, but I think in any other week it's unlikely he'd be a three-time champ.

I meant to quickly go back and check, but deleted my recording before doing so, but am I correct that the woman, upon getting a DD right at the very end of the game, bet enough to have 100 dollars less than the leader? I mean, she didn't get it anyway, but did she really make that bet?

Edited by smrou, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:01 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I skipped Thursday's and Friday's episodes in favor of NFL draft coverage, but I just took a look at the clues from Thursday and can't imagine I'd have been any more stunned had I actually seen the game transpire. The Great Lakes, John Muir, the Munich Olympics, greenbacks, Kate Jackson, Diana Rigg, all but one novel in the Literature category ... those contestants had such a broad base of ignorance, I am puzzled as to how they ever qualified for the show.

I got FJ last night for the reason Alex listed -- "became the prey" indicated to me that he was a hunter, hence Orion.

Reading the clue here, that was exactly my thought process.

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I got the Orion FJ on a completely lucky guess. There was nothing in the clue to me that would've led me to that answer. Perhaps the word "prey", I don't know. I'm embarrassed to admit that most of what I know about mythology or Great Lakes I learned either on Jeopardy! or Cash Cab. I made it thru most of the Great Lakes category - for something like that, w/5 lakes & 5 clues, you almost have to assume they'll hit each lake once. I did know Indiana & Lake Michigan on my own, & that Lake Huron did not border Canada anywhere.
Charlie Brown disappointed me. The lyrics are so fixed in my brain, that the natural progression from the clue was "Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown...."

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I did know Indiana & Lake Michigan on my own, & that Lake Huron did not border Canada anywhere.

Well, Lake Huron does -- but Lake Michigan doesn't!

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Oops.... nevermind.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

WaPo article

Article in today's Washington Post about Alex Trebek and the taping of the "Power Players" shows in DC.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Isn't anyone watching the teen tournament? I'm finding it to be pretty enjoyable. The teens are quick and smart, polite and personable. I know they usually dumb down the board for TT but it hasn't been bad. The last two FJ's (missed Mondays FJ) have been fairly easy but overall it's a good tournament.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I'm watching it, but I guess haven't felt compelled to comment. I missed more than half of it on Tuesday due to the speech by the President, but aside from that I've found it pretty enjoyable as well. I often skip the Teen Tournament, but I'm glad I haven't this year. I definitely find the kids to be bright and personable, as you said. And of course it's at a lower level than regular play--I've actually been tracking my Coryat scores lately and this week they're SUPER high (for me), unsurprisingly--but not insultingly so or anything.

I felt my age (or, more accurately, my unhip-ness) with the music category yesterday, though. I think I got 2 of the 5, though I was glad one of them was the $2000 clue. Definitely my worst category of the week so far, though.

Edited by smrou, May 3, 2012 @ 1:00 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

I really liked Kevin Yang, the winner of Thursday's game. He had a really strong DJ and made a fairly bold FJ wager considering the whole wild card deal. Not the ideal wager, probably, but given that he got FJ right it's difficult to criticize. He probably was feeling confident, and with good reason. Anyway, I like his clearly broad knowledge base along with his unassuming demeanor. I know there's still one more game in the first round, but for right now he's the guy I'm rooting for.

Edited by smrou, May 4, 2012 @ 3:00 PM.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I think Gabriela snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. She risked more than she had to in order to outpace the others if they all got it right. They all got it wrong, and the large wager backfired.

Plus, she didn't really have to play for the win. I don't think they get to watch the other matches, but $20,000 probably should have seemed like a safe bet for a non-winner spot. I was hoping she'd wager some nominal amount to keep a high total no matter what.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Yeah, Gabriela wagered a lot more than she needed to. I bet she's kicking herself. Even though they don't know the scores from the previous games, I think anything over $20,000 is almost always enough to score a wild card spot.

But I don't really understand the tie-breaker thing. Given that there are only five quarter-final games and nine semi-final spots, why don't they just send both winners to the semis and only have three wild cards instead of four? I guess it's because they wouldn't be able to send two people from every game?

Anyway, I like tonight's champ and he may even end up being my favorite in the semis. He's got a kind of bounciness, which is the sort of thing that has the potential to annoy but instead I find charming.

Edited by smrou, May 4, 2012 @ 7:17 PM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I don't think they get to watch the other matches, but $20,000 probably should have seemed like a safe bet for a non-winner spot.

They don't; they're sequestered in the green room, just like during regular play.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Do they not teach about Benedict Arnold in school anymore? I thought FJ was a gimme and couldn't believe all 3 guessed Alexander Hamilton.

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

There's hope.

AuntieL

AuntieL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

For anyone who's interested, Sunday This Morning (on CBS every Sunday at 9AM)is doing a segment on Alex next Sunday. They showed a preview this morning with the interviewer (I think Rita Braver?) going up into the studio and saying how intimidating it was.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Thanks, AuntieL. I have never seen Alex in an interview situation where he is casually chatting. Perhaps he will be less sexist and smug under those circumstances.

I'm going to put the Teen tournament back on the DVR because of the favorable comments. One day I saw DJ and they did seem a cut above the usual teen on the tournament. The questions were challenging enough to enjoy the show. I can't go very long without my Jeopardy fix....

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Well, I have to say I was surprised by today's game because to me it seemed significantly easier than the quarter final games. I know that as an adult the things that are obvious to me are not necessarily the same as the things that are obvious to a teen, plus everyone has their stronger subjects, so the fact that it was super easy for me doesn't mean it was for everyone, but I was just surprised because I figured it would be stepped up a (small) level in the semis and that doesn't seem to have been the case. I'm still awfully impressed with the contestants, though.

FJ was an instaget for me, but mostly because the correct element was the first one I thought of and I knew it qualified. I spent the rest of the time trying to think of the other four, and while I only could think of three, those three (iron, zinc, gold) made me even more confident that I had to be right.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I've been enjoying the teen tournament. And, I was very proud that I got yesterday's FJ. It was probably an easy question but since its been 500 years since I took chemistry, I'm not an expert anymore on the periodic table.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

You know, I used to not like the Teen Tournament and I think this year is the first time I've watched it in quite a while and I am really enjoying it. I don't know if it's a particularly personable and intelligent group of contestants, or a better categories and questions, or if it's just that I'm a bit more open-minded about it. One thing I've been thinking is that part of the change might be simply that now I'm a high school teacher, and it's quite possible that the last time I watched the Teen Tournament was before I started teaching. I spend all day every day with teens and I'm awfully fond of that age group and particularly the ones who show real curiosity and thirst for knowledge, which is obviously the sort of teen that ends up on Jeopardy!.

I think in the past I haven't enjoyed it as much because it doesn't really challenge me, and for me watching Jeopardy! is more about my own play-along experience than it is about the contestants on the show. But viewed more as an opportunity to see some really excellent teens show their stuff it's really pretty awesome.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

You know, I used to not like the Teen Tournament and I think this year is the first time I've watched it in quite a while and I am really enjoying it. I don't know if it's a particularly personable and intelligent group of contestants, or a better categories and questions, or if it's just that I'm a bit more open-minded about it.

Me, too, and I think it's partly the contestants, who have generally been nice and polite - more so than some of the adult contestants, frankly, and definitely better groomed on average. Mostly, though, I have enjoyed the questions. They're clearly geared to a teen contestant pool, but they're only somewhat easier than regular Jeopardy questions. (Actually, I think it's a balance - the standard categories are fairly easy, but the popular culture categories are much harder if you're over ... 25 or so, maybe? In the end, I'm think I'm doing about as well as usual overall).

That said, one answer bothered me tonight even though it didn't make a difference in the end:

There's no way Anishka (sp?) should have gotten credit for "Washington Bridge." The category called for things with "Washington" in the name, and the clue pointed to a bridge.

The answer was the George Washington Bridge, and that's what people call it. For short, it's "the GW Bridge," "the GWB" or just "the bridge," since it's the only bridge crossing between NYC and New Jersey. No one EVER calls it the "Washington Bridge." That was a blatant guess that anyone could have made based on the category and clue, and I think she should have been ruled incorrect.

Maybe I would have been more kindly disposed if she hadn't also imagined that Eritrea and Egypt were on the Black Sea. I can understand not getting the Red Sea, but, seriously .. the Black Sea? She obviously has no idea where any of these places are, and I find that really disappointing in a Jeopardy contestant, even in the Teen Tournament.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Here's a little article on Alex, which includes video from the early 60's when he hosted a Canadian American Bandstand-type show. Then at the end of the article is an interview from August 2011 on a Canadian program. But of course the highlight is young Alex. I can't place who he reminds me of.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I know this is the Teen Tournament and everything, but seriously, that Final Jeopardy? I'm not the only one who got the answer as soon as they heard the word "nose," right?

jeff6286

jeff6286

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

There's no way Anishka (sp?) should have gotten credit for "Washington Bridge." The category called for things with "Washington" in the name, and the clue pointed to a bridge.

The answer was the George Washington Bridge, and that's what people call it. For short, it's "the GW Bridge," "the GWB" or just "the bridge," since it's the only bridge crossing between NYC and New Jersey. No one EVER calls it the "Washington Bridge." That was a blatant guess that anyone could have made based on the category and clue, and I think she should have been ruled incorrect.

You know, I questioned it slightly at the time, but I didn't think too much of it. After a little research however, apparently there actually is a Washington Bridge in NYC, carrying 6 lanes of traffic over the Harlem River between Manhattan and the Bronx, making it even more obvious that she should have been ruled incorrect. I would say this is definitely a failure on the part of the judges for not retroactively negging that response, even if they weren't prepared for it at the time she gave it.

Washington Bridge

George Washington Bridge

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I'm not the only one who got the answer as soon as they heard the word "nose," right?

After seeing the category "Ancient Landmarks" I said The Pyramids! so yeah, it wasn't too difficult at all...

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I think upping the caliber of the contestants and the clues has led to a good Teen Tournament. I used to like the Teen Tournament. Then, a few years back, it seemed like the show decided smart kids weren't cool enough. They had some underwhelming contestants and weak clues. But it's bounced back the past few years.

Yeah, I thought it was lame to count that. Especially with the mention of the actual Washington Bridge by another poster. It's a proper name, and it's never known as the Washington Bridge. But, to pick a nit, it's not the only bridge between NYC and New Jersey. The Outerbridge Crossing connects Perth Amboy to Staten Island.

Maybe I would have been more kindly disposed if she hadn't also imagined that Eritrea and Egypt were on the Black Sea. I can understand not getting the Red Sea, but, seriously .. the Black Sea? She obviously has no idea where any of these places are, and I find that really disappointing in a Jeopardy contestant, even in the Teen Tournament.

Ouch, that was a scary error.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

Wouldn't Druids or Druidess count at all? I said, "Druids", so would I been ruled incorrectly on that.