What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23258 replies to this topic

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I don't know if I've ever heard before that Bing means ice.

Ice is pronounced bing in Mandarin.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:23 AM

The "regular" Jeopardy broadcast in NY is at 7 pm on ABC channel 7. I wasn't aware it was on at a different time.

The FJ last night with Merkel and Sarkozy I thought was pretty silly, after several difficult one in the past week or so.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

The FJ last night with Merkel and Sarkozy I thought was pretty silly, after several difficult one in the past week or so.

I thought it was at least an order of magnitude more difficult than the two previous ones (Red State/Blue State and Charlotte's Web). Which isn't saying much. It was still easy.*

I'm sad to see Joey go since he was a good player, seemed to be having a good time, and was very nice to look at. But I like Bing, too, and he's another good-looking guy.

*ETA: Looking at the weekly FJ poll at Jboard it pretty much matches my expectations. Currently Charlotte's Web is at 97%, Red State/Blue State at 87%, and Merkel/Sarkozy at 71%.

Edited by smrou, Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

ETA: Looking at the weekly FJ poll at Jboard it pretty much matches my expectations. Currently Charlotte's Web is at 97%, Red State/Blue State at 87%, and Merkel/Sarkozy at 71%.

This is one of those things where, if you know it, you know it and can't imagine how anyone else would not know it. It's kind of hard for me to understand how someone who frequents a Jeopardy board would not recognize Merkel and Sarkozy. Frankly, I would expect Jeopardy contestants to be able to identify any French president or German chancellor on sight if they had been in office as long as these two have; but to miss these particular two at this particular time in European history? Can't imagine it ...

And yet, I have no doubt that there will be at least one - probably more - FJ that I'll miss this week that to others will be pathetically easy. You could write an interesting research paper looking for correlations in categories of knowledge: Do people who do well in geography also do well in history? Are literary mavens also knowledgeable about opera?

Well, it would be interesting to me, anyway ... :-)

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

This is one of those things where, if you know it, you know it and can't imagine how anyone else would not know it.

Sort of, yes, but for me not entirely. As I said, those poll results matched my expectations. What I meant by that is that I was not surprised to see them so high, but I was also not surprised to see that the Merkel/Sarkozy get percentage was significantly lower than Charlotte's Web. I thought the Charlotte's Web FJ was Kids Week level--I mean, it is such a classic, and it's really the only famous book I can think of that stars a spider--so I would have been surprised to see a get percentage below 90%. Of course there will always be people who didn't get it--that's true for every clue and Lord knows I've blown my share of them--but among Jeopardy! fans I expect a very very high get rate for a clue like that.

Merkel/Sarkozy, on the other hand, struck me as another easy clue, especially with how much those two have been in the news lately--anyone who pays any mind to current affairs, which I guess to a certain extent I expect Jeopardy! fans to do, should know those names well. But it's the sort of thing I can imagine someone blanking on or maybe only getting half of. So even though it was an instaget for me, I'm not surprised to see only about a 70% get rate in the Jboard poll. I guess what I'm saying is that in that case I can imagine how other people would not know it.

Well, it would be interesting to me, anyway ... :-)

It would be interesting to me for sure.

Edited by smrou, Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:54 PM.

TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

Bing is a rather unassuming champion. If there is an upcoming contestant named Google Chang, Mr. Huo may not last too long.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Seems like "Red State" and "Blue State" has been around much longer. Time flies, I guess.

Actually they have been, although they had the opposite meaning. I distinctly remember an article about the very close 1976 election, where Ford was watching the NBC map and saying "go blue" as his states were colored blue (perhaps a homage to his alma mater?)

Wikipedia confirms my recollection.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

No spoiler, but I can hardly wait to hear some of your comments on FJ tonight. Words literally fail me... I have come to think that some answers are so idiotic that they should be doubly subtracted from the total. Wow, just wow!

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

Oh man, when Anne said "Nine thousand" (or was it eight?) for her last DD wager I was psyched, but then she reduced it. No! Play to win, Anne, play to win! That bummed me out.

And then triple stumper on FJ, but I was as clueless as the contestants (well maybe not quite as clueless--I do at least know that Ice T is alive). I really tried to focus on the Busey connection, figuring he probably played the person in a movie, but it turns out I don't actually know anything about Gary Busey's career.

I'm disappointed that Bing didn't get to stick around because there's something I found appealing about him, but I like the new champ too.

Edited by smrou, Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I have come to think that some answers are so idiotic that they should be doubly subtracted from the total.

Doug's answer was at least not only plausible but also in the right ballpark. I suppose if you're not familiar enough with Busey's career from before he became a strung-out punchline, this would've been a more difficult clue. It took me about ten seconds to get the Busey connection.

AuntieL

AuntieL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I would actually watch an episode of Ice Loves Coco if they played Ice-T's reaction to this clue and Anne's answer, given that she killed him off. Talk about your off the wall out of the blue stabs in the dark. Having said that I could not for the life of me remember Buddy Holly's name. My thought processes went something like "Richie Valens. -Remembers movie La Bamba-. No, he wasn't married. The guy who died with him and the Big Bopper. Duh. Busey played him. The American Pie song. Haley no not Haley. Times up. oh Buddy Holly. ARG."

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

I loved the look on Anne's face after she had reduced her wager, because she knew the answer right away. Six thousand was still a pretty gutsy wager, though. I was proud of her.

As for FJ, I think it was something you either knew or didn't. I knew it the second I saw "Maria Elena" -- but I have a mom who grew up in the 1940s and 1950s and cut out the clippings about the plane crash in 1959. It was very sweet of Gary Busey to go to the dedication of the star on the Walk of Fame. Whoever guessed "Richie Valens" was a good guesser.

Edited by ChicagoCita, Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:43 PM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I right away knew it was Buddy Holly because I seen that flick maybe two or three years ago. It was just the obvious connection that made it so easy to get.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

It took me a second to get Buddy Holly. When I first saw Gary Busey in the clue, I thought he was the musician's friend, but then a lightbulb went off. I don't even think I've seen the movie, but I knew he played him. I don't think Anne was serious when she said Ice T. Unfortunately, I think Bing was serious about Sinatra. Back to Buddy Holly, I'm shocked it took until 2011 for him to get a star.

In the category about European anagrams, I thought Alex was inadvertently emphasizing the word in each clue that was the anagram, so then he reads this clue -- "I wish someone would erect a statue of me on THIS island" -- and I immediately said, "What is Shit Island!" Guess my theory was wrong.

I liked all three contestants, so while I was kind of shocked that Bing lost, I'm looking forward to seeing how Doug does. Plus, he sometimes sounds like Jon Lovitz to me.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Sometimes it's gratifying to get FJ right when it's a triple stumper, but it was sad to see everyone miss Buddy Holly.

Have none of these people seen Alien! It's a classic.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

I would have guessed Holly because of the Busey movie, but was second guessing myself since I too was surprised it took him so long to get a star, plus the Latin sounding name of his wife was throwing me off a bit.

TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

"What is the Wharf?...The San Francisco Wharf?" had me laughing pretty hard. Maybe the best answer since the guy who thought the Marines put a flag on Mt. Everest.

No love for Buddy Holly. Very sad.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

I got stuck on Valens and knew it was wrong because I knew Busey didn't play him. But had a brain freeze on who else was on the plane.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Valens wasn't such a bad guess - the Hispanic sounding wife's name, thinking about La Bamba, and he was on the plane that fell - all in the realm of reasonable. It was Ice-T that just made me throw up my hands. I'm looking forward to the new champ - he seems a good sport...

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

I knew it was whoever Gary played in the movie but I blanked on what the movie was.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

I'm stunned so many people don't remember Buddy Holly. Maybe it's due to my Elvis Costello infatuation, but Holly's image is so iconic to me - I thought all three of them would get FJ for sure.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

I'm stunned so many people don't remember Buddy Holly. Maybe it's due to my Elvis Costello infatuation, but Holly's image is so iconic to me

I have never for a second forgotten Buddy Holly, and I doubt any of the contestants have either. Knowing who Buddy Holly is and being familiar with his music (which I am) wasn't particularly helpful in getting the clue, though. You needed to know at least one of three things: the name of Buddy Holly's widow, the fact that Gary Busey played him in The Buddy Holly Story, or that Buddy Holly only just got a star on the Walk of Fame last year. That last bit is really surprising to me, honestly, because I would have expected him to have gotten a star many years ago. But I knew none of those three things, so I couldn't get the clue.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

I too was amazed that Buddy Holly only just got a star last year. Being a long time fan I did know his wife's name and that Gary Busey played him so it was an instaget for me.

I think the new champ looks very much like actor Danny Strong, Jonathan from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Edited by Trey, Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:52 PM.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I think the new champ looks very much like actor Danny Strong, Jonathan from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

This...great call.

How could one not get FJ today?

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Very well done by Amy today. She seems like a pleasant new champ, though it's too bad Doug couldn't have won a couple more as I liked him a lot. I thought it was a game with three strong players, but was disappointed that the game ended on a low point. Those last two categories just didn't go well for the players.

FJ seemed like something I should have known before, but I didn't. However, Nobel Peace Prize was the first thing I thought of and fit the details in the clue, so I went with it. Nice to see I was right, even though it was largely a guess, combined with the fact that I couldn't think of many more really prominent prizes/awards.

Edited by smrou, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I didn't get FJ. My first thought was Nobel Prize (thought not specifically the Peace Prize), but then I pictured the medal with the profile of Alfred Nobel, so I tried to think of another. And then I thought maybe I was picturing the Peabody, but then I wondered what the Nobel Prize looked like. Anyway, after the answer was revealed, I googled the Prize. Oh... right... There's a front AND back. Oh well.

The first DD that Amy got was completely foreign to me. "You get to be 'mayor' if you 'check in' at a certain location more than anyone else using this mobile platform." I'm a low-tech person. I didn't have a clue what Foursquare was.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

DP

Edited by peeayebee, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:20 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

I guess I get 50% credit for guessing Nobel Prize, but I didn't think specifically of the Peace Prize.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

I did get the FJ including the Peace Prize part, but so late that I wouldn't have had time to write it down.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I had no idea what the Nobel peace prize looked like, but upon googling it, I just have to ask something. I get the solidarity between nations symbolism of the hands across the shoulders, but why do they have to be naked and why so anatomically depicted? I feel silly asking, but who else but Jeopardy fans would be able to explain...

Secondly, I forgot to mention the triple stumper in the category "be," a sturdy hunting dog that is always merry in personality? The answer of St. Bernard made me remember a huge, lumbering St. Bernard who used to live in my neighborhood. She roamed the street morosely, drooling and panting on anyone who would pet her....