What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23181 replies to this topic

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

It's okay to be excited when you win, but I think this new champ crossed the line to obnoxiousness with his over-the-top reaction.

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Thank god a winner has the nerve to express enthusiasm on this incredibly stuffy game show.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

It is better to be surprised or to reserve your nerves, but still....this isn't like Millionaire, Wheel of Fortune, or The Price Is Right where you can do as you please. I just remember back in the old days where there was more respect as to who won or something. I know I am thinking more of the 80s and 90s, but I just don't remember when there was a fist in the air or "Yessssssssssssssssssss" ..........What is this? Every time somebody does that......it reminds of those early 90s fist pumps in Captain Planet or the band NKOTB. It just brings me back to when everybody was doing that silly fist pump...yes, even an eight year old like me did it. Talk about a flashback.

Edited by RL1, Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

teebax

teebax

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I prefer Jeopardy to be stuffy. There are plenty of game shows for people want to hoot and holler or pump their fists when they win. Jeopardy has always, IMO, been classier than that. You don't need to show up an opponent. I could tell from the reactions of everyone else that they were a bit put off by him. I hope he gets his ass handed to him tomorrow.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

It was not the initial first pump that bothered me about the champ. A little small and enthusiastic celebration is understandable and, for me, welcome. It was the extended celebration that I thought moved him from "Excited to win" to "Rubbing it in to his opponents". I won't hold it against him, though, as long as he doesn't do it every time he wins (assuming he wins any more games, that is).

Edited by smrou, Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:10 AM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

Even Alex had that "Okay......what just happened?" type of response when he announced Patrick as the new champion. Have you noticed that Alex had a bit of hesitation when he was speaking? Usually, Alex is very quick to respond to certain winners, but I kind of detected a bit of distaste on his part when he announced Patrick as the winner.

Edited by RL1, Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:40 AM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Thank you, teebax, for so eloquently stating what I was trying to say back in the days of Roger Craig et al. This has always been a dignified game, where if you were on it, you had already proven yourself to be knowledgable (unlike any other quiz show I can think of in recent years) I love the chance to challenge my memory and I love to see a contestant clap for the others when they get something right or hit a DD. I also like to see them move from their podia and reach out to shake hands with the winner. Mayb the median age of viewers IS 65, but I don't care...

LadyNebula

LadyNebula

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

Today, one of the contestants drove me NUTS with his "buzzer position." I don't think I've ever seen "the coffin" as a buzzer technique before.

That's exactly what I called it, LOL. That bugged me beyond belief, and then that lovely example of poor winning... I really hope he loses tonight.

You know, as I get older, I'm finding little annoying contestant quirks more and more. I'm not sure if the contestants were always a little uppity and I just never noticed, or if they just seem to be putting more annoying people on. Maybe I'm just getting more curmudgeonly the further I get from 30. But I have noticed myself using the term "douche bag" a lot more lately. A lot of the contestants are starting to remind me of Paris Geller as well, and that is not a good thing.

TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

A cross-armed playing, fist-pumping champion? Not exactly two endearing Jeopardy qualities. A win's a win, but still...

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

It was not the initial first pump that bothered me about the champ. A little small and enthusiastic celebration is understandable and, for me, welcome. It was the extended celebration that I thought moved him from "Excited to win" to "Rubbing it in to his opponents".

I felt the same way. At first I thought he might even be joking around with his OTT reaction, as if he had bested Ken Jennings. But... no.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I was annoyed by the new champ with his geeky story about the police laser speed detector and the coffin (great imagery btw) buzzing position, warmed up to him a bit over the game but then he totally lost me with the over the top celebration. There's a reason the NFL has a penalty for this. I do hope he goes down in flames tonight.

I was a bit surprised the creative writing grad student didn't get FJ.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Sonia's stock really fell when she failed to recognize Lee and Grant, or at least their uniforms.

I know Jerry Stiller and Ann Meara are Ben Stiller's parents but I found that clue to be rather confusing...so I didn't get it.

I did get FJ...first one in a few days.

Patrick's OTT fist pump seemed to come more from shock and delight that he'd won rather than douchery...time will tell of course.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Sonia's stock really fell when she failed to recognize Lee and Grant, or at least their uniforms.

And that she heard "April 1865" and didn't immediately think of the Civil War.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Time will tell. Time will tell. But I don't think he'll last. But we'll see.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I was thinking she buzzed in so quickly because she knew who they were and expected that to be the answer, not where they'd met, so she got thrown off. Still, it's kind of a no-brainer that when you put together the keywords Lee, Grant, and meeting, what you get is Appomattox.

I know Jerry Stiller and Ann Meara are Ben Stiller's parents but I found that clue to be rather confusing...so I didn't get it.

I got it, and I thought it was pretty clear if you just paid attention to the wording and remembered that the category was Comedy Duos. We didn't see the clue displayed, but when Alex read it he put in emphasis to make it clear:

Seen here is one of the finer productions of THIS... comedy duo.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I'm going to miss the champ. I really liked her.

I feel really stupid that I didn't get FJ. I assumed it was a character from a book - a play didn't even occur to me. The only character I could think of was Maggie Tulliver from Mill on the Floss which didn't really make sense since her brother also dies. But she does drown. I really felt even more stupid when I read the next chapter of the book I'm reading. Its about the Pre-Raphaelities and the chapter was about the painting Ophelia.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

I was thinking she buzzed in so quickly because she knew who they were and expected that to be the answer, not where they'd met, so she got thrown off.

But she didn't say Lee and Grant, she said London. If she did know who they were I would have expected her to give a place that is in the USA even if she couldn't come up with Appomattox, but not London.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

$5 on a DD????!? Did that NKTOB Joey McIntyre wannabe Patrick think he was going to stay in the lead longer or something? Glad, he lost. He was smirking the entire time, anyway. And when he lost, he had a pissed off look the entire time. Like that should have been his winning ticket.

Edited by RL1, Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:36 PM.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I couldn't believe it when I saw that one of tonight's categories was "THEY GO BY THIER [sic] FIRST INITIAL." Don't they know how to spell? Alex didn't say a word about it. I wonder if he'll say something tomorrow.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I wonder if he'll say something tomorrow.

There's absolutely no reason for Alex to bother mentioning it.

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I'm two months younger than Alex, so I think I'm probably in the target age-group for "Jeopardy!" But I find the show increasingly dull and stodgy. So a contestant who expresses any kind of personality, enthusiasm, humor, or just out and out ballsiness I find refreshing. It doesn't have to turn into "The Price Is Right" but just welcome more interesting contestants. Replacing Alex with someone younger (preferably female) would go a long way toward enlivening this stale old show.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I got Stiller and Meara, but wondered if that is really hard for someone not of a certain age. Ophelia just popped right into my head. I was impressed by the woman contestant working her way back into the mix with the book award category. And I really enjoyed the punny whey category.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

Yeah, she was in the back and lead almost a lead in that category. Impressive.

And replacing Alex(even though he was there when a year old) would cost the show tremendously. Hiring a female host would definitely not help the show's quality. That's like Kelly Ripa being the host of Jeopardy.

Edited by RL1, Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:28 AM.

LadyNebula

LadyNebula

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I got Stiller and Meara, but wondered if that is really hard for someone not of a certain age.

I'm 30 and knew it. But then again, I'm a pop culture and movie trivia junkie. I was pretty proud of myself for getting Ophelia, since I haven't read any Shakespeare since high school - actually, saying I read it in high school would be questionable, since I zoned out at the mere mention of old Will. As for the Grant/Lee answer, that one really bothered me because I'm a Civil War buff. If she had answered with anywhere in the US, I think I would have been OK with it. But London? Ouch.

I did terribly tonight, so seeing Coffin Guy go home was pretty much the high point for me. I didn't care who won, as long as it wasn't him.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

But she didn't say Lee and Grant, she said London. If she did know who they were I would have expected her to give a place that is in the USA even if she couldn't come up with Appomattox, but not London.

I know. Any contestant on this show should know Appomattox. But like I said, I think she did recognize who they were, otherwise why would she buzz in? Of course I could be wrong, but my guess is that the image came up, and she thought, "Oooo! Lee and Grant!" then when Alex finished the clue, she quickly buzzed in and realized he wasn't asking for their names. She said, "Uhhh, where is London?" and she looked like she knew that was a WAG.

The photo from the Space Station of the eclipse shadow was very cool.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that one of tonight's categories was "THEY GO BY THIER [sic] FIRST INITIAL." Don't they know how to spell?

I missed that, but wow. That's pretty bad.

Joey McIntyre wannabe Patrick

Yes! I couldn't place who he reminded me of.

I'm glad Patrick lost, and also glad Michael won. I like him. When DJ ended, did the audience applaud because they were happy Patrick didnít have a runaway, or maybe because Michael is so likable?

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I got Stiller and Meara, but wondered if that is really hard for someone not of a certain age.

I think this is a good point. I'd bet this is tough for people under their mid 40's maybe?

Based on the early pace of last night's game, I was surprised the champ lost. The other two contestants seemed sort of sluggish.

For people interested in being spoiled on the FJ question, the paper version of the NY Times is running a little promo every day which happens to be the FJ question (ie. "watch tonight for the answer"). It's actually a little annoying to run across it.

How Alex would be replaced, when the time comes, is a interesting question. I'm not sure who is out there who could do it without radically changing the tone of the show (maybe some think that would be a good thing).

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I was offended by the suggestion that feminine pulchritude was needed to spice up the show. But more offended by the idea that a woman who hosted would necessarily be Kelly Ripa in gravitas. I'm sure there are women available who could host with a level of sophistication and a bit of a wink who could be entertaining without taking anything away from the show.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Not sure everyone finds the new champ all that likeable. I found the fact that he wrote out the full name of the correct answer a bit show-offy/pretentious, but it's the little things....

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

I found the fact that he wrote out the full name of the correct answer a bit show-offy/pretentious, but it's the little things....

In Final Jeopardy, it's necessary, though, because the contestants will not be prompted to be more specific, so you have to get it right the first time. Can't take the chance that just "Gandhi" would be accepted.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I'm just glad that the contestant in the middle didn't win. She was so deadpan and monotone. The way she was answering the questions it sounded like she'd been dragged onto the show against her will and was tolerating her time there like a petulant teenager.