What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23252 replies to this topic

karatekate

karatekate

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:37 PM

I had to call my Mom to ask her who Fuller (that was it wasn't it?) was.

My BF and I were talking about that question last night. It's funny you said you had to call your Mom - it's because of my mom that I (a) knew the answer and (b) totally would have gotten it wrong if I were on the show.

You see, my mom is mathematician/geometry freak-teacher, and every time the "big golf ball" at Epcot is shown (which was a fair amount with those 80s commercials with Mickey waving on top of it) she had to tell us about R. Buckminster Fuller and geodesic domes and woe to the child who ever referred to it as a "big golf ball" in her presence.

Just to get her goat, as children are wont to do, we always jumped in with "we know, we know - Buttminster Fuller and his big balls" (oh, we were cleaver)(oh, we got grounded). We backed off a bit, but to this day we always say "Look, it's one of Buttminster's balls".

I want to believe I would have, in the contestant's place, had the presence of mind to just answer Fuller... or even change the name to Buckminster... but I can just see me getting caught up in knowing the answer and "Buttminster" it would be.

Thanks, Mom. You should be proud :-)

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:44 PM

OMG. Am I the only SCTV fan here???

No, not at all. And I didn't twig to that at all. Edna Boil I would have caught straight off, though. Really!

Now I have this image of Guy Caballero hosting Jeopardy in my head....

secretagentman

secretagentman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

They use to do that sketch in the first season, it was a take off on 'Reach For The Top", which Alex hosted here in Can.and Catherine/Margaret would always ring in before Eugene/Alex would finish reading the clue and her answer would be 'The Beatles'? and he would freak out, and the end of the sketch would always involve Alex taking off his jacket to fight with one of the kids. Still makes me howl.

Edited by secretagentman, Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:14 PM.

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:14 AM

So Lili was a nerd magnet?

That would explain why I was suddenly hurled across the living room and stuck to the television set last night.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 3:36 PM

ABC broke in with a special report on the New Hampshire primary at 10:27 P.M. Eastern, which seemed like it was timed neatly to hit a commercial break in "Line of Fire"...but in Los Angeles and San Francisco, at least, it meant the end of Final Jeopardy! (including the reveal of the correct answer) went unseen. Kind of ironic, since the one contestant mentioned that his father's appearance on the original "Jeopardy!" was pre-empted.

Thanks to the Internet, though, I found out the correct answer, and that I had mixed up Kentucky and Tennessee while playing in my living room. I guess I would have preferred to have remained blissfully ignorant.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

That was an easy Final Jeopardy. Who was only female character on Winnie the Pooh ?? I did know someone would miss it though. Kanga rocked.

OK, I knew that it was Roo's mother, but I had no idea her name was Kanga. I probably would have written "Mrs. Roo." And I would have lost.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:24 AM

Or Roo's Mommy. I'll just have to teach you the words to the Winnie the Pooh Song :-)

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 11:23 AM

Owl always seemed kind of femme to me...

Toomanyblondes

Toomanyblondes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 8:08 PM

Dag, this week has had some tough categories and FJ's. I think tonight was the first one I got this week. I loved "grabbus vegetabalus" and Rob's apology for it only being two words. Also? I have a new game show BF in Jeffrey Kuhn. He's a cutie.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 11:06 AM

I never knew that Aphrodite and Hermes had a child together. She really got around - that is at least three gods she was involved with. Hee, sounds like I'm talking about people I know. But ever since I was given a copy of Robert Graves' book when I was young, I have loved Greek mythology.

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

Sad to see Lili go. I don't like the champions who seem to take the game too seriously, like they're about to start screaming if they flub a question.

Oh, Tom, why did you have to lose? Come back, Tom, come back!

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 4:47 PM

If they rack up some days and big bucks --- there's always the Tournament of Champions. ;-)

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

Alex Trebek was in a car wreck. He is unhurt.

http://story.news.ya...p/people_trebek

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2004 @ 11:09 PM

Thank God. I'm so glad that it wasn't serious. After the untrue rumors of Bob Barker passing on, I didn't need for something bad to happen to Alex (or anyone else) following that.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

Awwwww. Alex's pretty red pickup! All dinged up!

Glad he's okay. But who in their right mind tried calling the Jeopardy! office after hours in hopes of comment? Did the reporter think the staff lives in the office? And why is the fact that Rocky couldn't be reached for comment worth commenting on?

About a year ago, LA had a terrible wind storm that was causing a lot of damage. One TV station's helicopter spotted one place in the hills, where a large tree had been blown over (not just knocked branches down). The owner of the property saw the live picture on TV and called to say no one was hurt and nothing (other than the tree) really damaged. The owner? Alex.

I'll have to remember to get into work very early on Tuesday. We'll be taping. And being there early will mean I can tease Alex about the benefits of caffiene and such.

I'm glad he's okay.

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

I felt my heart stutter when I saw the article about Alex in the paper. I'm overjoyed he's fine--but he's damn lucky. Having been in a serious car accident myself, I'm sure Alex will be in a form of shock for the next few days.

Poor guy.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

Glad that AT is ok. I saw the news on Headline News over the weekend.

There is an article about Tom Walsh in the Washington Post TV Section Tom Walsh I found this very interesting

Before being selected as a contestant for the shows, which aired in January, Walsh had auditioned for "Jeopardy!" in 2001. He passed the test, but never received a call. In 2003, when he heard the show was testing in the Washington area, Walsh tried again.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

I was curious about tonight's final jeopardy. I watched the Furcal unassiated triple play live being a Huge Braves fan. I was curious they gave credit for triple play to 2 people, but technically only one was right. there has been only 12 unassisted triple plays, and many more triple plays. The question was only 12 of these.
I understand it was triple play, but technically it was an unasisted triple play.
I was curious about that. I know a lot of people have asked to be more specific and missed.

Gambling Moron

Gambling Moron

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 1:29 AM

The clue given said that Furcal became the 12th player in history to "single-handedly" record this play.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 8:15 AM

I'm just glad the cute guy pulled it out in the end and won. It's always nice to have a little eye candy on the show. (It happens so rarely).

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 10:04 AM

Gambling Moron, I missed that . Thanks, I understand now,

Snoopck

Snoopck

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

That was quite a comeback. The guy on the left was up about ten grand with about 8 questions left -- before the champ got the true daily double. Does anyone remember a contestant making up more ground in a shorter amount of time?

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 6:59 PM

It also helped that the guy who was in the lead blew some questions and lost a few thousand towards the end. But still, an impressive performance.

(And I got Final Jeopardy wrong -- my first instinct was triple play, but I could not possibly imagine how one person could do that, so I switched to double play).

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 1:14 AM

Don't ya just love final jeopardy answers where you can guess the the questions before the clue is given?

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 8:18 AM

Thank God. I'm so glad that it wasn't serious. After the untrue rumors of Bob Barker passing on, I didn't need for something bad to happen to Alex (or anyone else) following that.

Forgive me if I come off as totally crude and crass here...

Somebody I know had implied that he was driving drunk... which I seriously doubt happened, so enough about that.

What it did remind me of, however, was Alex Trebek's last episode of "High Rollers" back in the 70's... game show legend is that he was drunk at the time. Having seen the episode, I would probably agree.

Off-topic, probably... but this is one of those game show fandom legends that is kind of obscure and deserves to be shared.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 1:35 PM

Somebody I know had implied that he was driving drunk... which I seriously doubt happened, so enough about that.

You can tell your somebody that they are mistaken, then. It may have been the case back in the '70s (I didn't know him then), but these days he's pretty responsible. Something about having a wife and young kids that mean a lot to him leads to cleaning up the act.
;-)

We had to tape yesterday, and he didn't cut back anything. Wearing a brace for the lower back (he's had back problems before), and moving very carefully. And, IMO, judging from the tiny frown furrows, in pain. He's looking a bit better today, but then we're still an hour and a half from starting taping, where he has to stand for long stretches of time.

Snoopck

Snoopck

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

Does anyone know when the Tournament of Champions is due to begin? Some people in here seem to have some "inside" information.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

Because of the new policy regarding returning champions, the Executive Producer held off scheduling the next one to see how things would shape up. However, the staff was given word last week that we will have some tape days in late April or early May (these new tape dates were just added to the work schedule) - to air either at the very end of the current season, or to launch the next season in September.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. It's still tentative.

Edited because everything is really tentative at this moment. Officially speaking.

Edited by DragonScribe, Feb 5, 2004 @ 1:40 PM.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

Today when the woman said Man In the Moon I was waiting for something to happen. I knew they had to make a correction, and they did almost right away.

I had a feeling Dan Rather was answer on final. Its kinda interesting, my 1st gut was a guy named Sam, and someone guessed Sam Donaldson.

Dragonscribe, how long is the time between when you tape the shows and when they air ?

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 10:14 AM

The distance between tape day and air day varies a bit. Some of it depends on what type of show we're taping (tournaments, kids and Celebs often air closer to the tape date than the regular type of shows). But it can be as much as a couple of months.

After September 11 (and we closed the office that day), I went in and checked the database for a number of things, to see if we'd taped material on them that hadn't aired - like stuff on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I also checked Osama, and the airlines. Even though we couldn't change things, there might have been things that needed acknowledging at the end of the show with a super-imposed note of "this was taped before 9/11".

We have to keep on our toes about current events that way. Because sometimes things happen between taping and airing. And believe me, viewers call and write if they think we messed up on something.