What is... Jeopardy

• Please log in to reply

23206 replies to this topic

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:29 AM

Halfpint -- yes, I work on staff for the show.

Thanks for all the condolences expressed. We do appreciate them.

pseudoremi

pseudoremi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

So sorry about your loss. I heard it on the radio. Crayola Colors was one of my favorite categories.

They don't let contestants mingle with you, (I bonded with Barry the make-up guy and John) but when I was there my observation was that you all seemed like a big, happy family.

Dragonscribe, maybe this has been asked, but are you and Dragon the same person?

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

They don't let contestants mingle with you, (I bonded with Barry the make-up guy and John) but when I was there my observation was that you all seemed like a big, happy family.

You're actually free to speak to the crew after you finish your appearance on the show. As I was leaving after I lost my second game, a camera guy wanted to talk to me about some labor law (since I had been outed as a law student planning on working for unions in my convo with Alex).

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

It's a good place to work. It's very much a team effort, and our Executive Producer, Harry Friedman, does an excellent job of nurturing that sense.

pseudoremi -- yes this was answered, if you'd just scroll up the page a bit. ;-)

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:05 AM

DragonScribe ... along with everyone else, my condolences on the loss of a friend and co-worker. Either is tough, both ... well ...

I have a question that you may or may not be able/allowed to answer but it's worth a shot ...

Did, to the best of your knowledge, Tom Walsh try out for the show back in June 2001? (I don't know if that would mean he had been in the pool a long time or tried out again later after not being called the first time) ... I ask because when I tried out then I sat next to a guy named Tom whose last name started with W who was a huge baseball fan and we totally hit it off and chatted the whole time. He passed and did great on the mock game but I never saw him on the show that season. My reaction when I left was that he was the one guy out of the 14 of us who passed that I would never want to face because he had 5-day champion written all over him (and was the nicest guy, by the way). I have a strong feeling this is the same guy but since it's been three years and I am getting senile I am not sure.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

That's funny that John Steinbeck was the final answer last night - I just finished reading East of Eden (which is a wonderful book!). Though, grr, another question that I knew that has been used.

I can't believe how much I wanted him to win the 6th game. I had nothing against the woman but it is quite exciting.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:28 AM

JazzieCazzie, I really don't know. The contestant handling is not my department. I do know that many people retake the test if they don't get called. We've had contestants who have said "I've taken the contestant test X number of times."

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

I'm happy Tom won. He is my new hero. I will build altars.

Snowden creeped me out. She reminded me of some glacially cool librarian who would sneer at any book you took out.

And Ron....surprised me. I thought he would only get questions about Zen or herbal gardening. The man had game.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

I wonder just how long his streak will go.

Paperboy

Paperboy

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

Why didn't Snowden bet it all? She would have tied Tom (at least). I thought both challengers last night were better than most from the past week that Tom has been on. Gotta give Tom props though; he's tough.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Spoiler about tonight's ep...

Tom makes it 7 in a row. He only has $2,000 going into the second round, and ties a guy with $32,000. They'll both come back tomorrow, and he is still the defending champion. He came on like crazy in the 2nd round, and played for a tie in final jeopardy. He had the lead going in to final Jeopardy as well.

Vindication

Vindication

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

I have never posted on this thread, but I frequent it daily. I cannot stay quiet any longer. I just have to give props to my boy Tom who is going hard. He ROCKS. I love him, and want to have his babies. ;) I wonder how long his streak will last.

Real New Yorker

Real New Yorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:04 PM

one goof last night.
(not direct quote)
Answer: This (shows go downhill) came around when Fonzie did this on his mortercycle
question: what is Jump the shark
actually he jumped the shark on water skis.

Yes, Halfpint Ingals you noticed that too. I can't believe they messed up. I was going to write them. Maybe should have. Did anyone?

I have a DVR and tend to stop, pause, and rewind everything - so I have the direct quote. It was in the category "TV Talk" and it was the $2000 answer. It went:
"Referring to a daring motorcycle exploit by Fonzie, it's what a TV show does when it peaks and starts to go downhill."

We all knew what they were referring to, but, jeese! How did they muck that up? Shark - motorcycle. That just doesn't go together.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

He was losing by 6,000 $ before 1st commercial, had $ 2,000 in 1st round, and still tied and made 7 time champion. how awesome.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:09 AM

Best season ever....best episode ever! Wow, I was worried about Tom for most of the show but I was silly to. What a great guy - he didn't have to tie in the end but he did. And even better that the guy bet it all and got the question right!

karatekate

karatekate

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:20 AM

erik316wttn, I am a spoiler junkie, so I naturally read what you had typed. Last night, when my boyfriend and I were watching/playing while making dinner I announced just as they went to commercial break before FJ that the two guys were going to tie with $32,000 each. I even told him I read a spoiler on it.

He became über-paranoid I had seen the show "at lunch" (we have old episodes shown around lunchtime around here) - I tried to convince him I would have gotten more questions right if I had! :-)

Were you at the taping?

Real New Yorker

Real New Yorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

Could someone explain the math to me? Why didn't Tom bet so he would win - at least by $1.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

I've only seen a couple of his episodes, but in both of them he bet to tie. I've always thought this was incredibly generous, even though it means you will be bringing an experienced skilled player to the next game to challenge you. It's also strongly discouraged by the contestant handling people, so it demonstrates a strength of character that I appreciate.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:16 PM

Ooh, I didn't know it was discouraged by contestant handling people. It was really nice and generous of him. But he seems like a great person. Though, I guess it doesn't help me get The Call - that is one less contestant they need.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

Real New Yorker - I already passed on the information about the "jump the shark" thing to the Head Writer and the writer of that clue. The researcher who handled that clue (not me! not me!) overlooked the matter of checking the detail of Fonzie's means of shark-jumping.

My rule of thumb is to never assume anything when researching, to document everything, even "obvious" stuff. "There is no such thing as Common Knowledge" and "Saying 'I saw it' is not a source." Those are my other important rules.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:56 PM

Once during Celebrity Jeopardy, they had the categories Swords and "S" Words. Do you know if that was an homage to the SNL skit?

karatekate

karatekate

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

Once during Celebrity Jeopardy, they had the categories Swords and "S" Words. Do you know if that was an homage to the SNL skit?

I can't believe I missed that! How fabulous. Now if we can just get "The Pen Is Mightier" ;-)

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:32 PM

Sometimes, it's better not to ask the inspiration of categories. Just sayin'. ;-)

As for that combo? I don't know. Sorry.

Toomanyblondes

Toomanyblondes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

I can attest to the magnanimity of Tom Walsh, as I was at the tapings of the shows that are airing this week and next. He's a great guy and I'm glad this is happening for him (well, he's doing all the hard work). Dave said that he was so grateful to Tom for wagering as he did. Keep watching, the shows are great IMHO! And Frank "Baby Ruth Cleveland" is soon to appear (another good guy).

Edited by Miss Alli, Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:55 PM.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

Tom's run is over. O well he was awesome. Does he keep the $ 11,000 he made tonight ?? I know the loser's money disapears on screen. do they still keep money ?

edited to fix capital marks.

Edited by Halfpint Ingals, Jan 21, 2004 @ 10:24 AM.

Toomanyblondes

Toomanyblondes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:27 PM

Halfpint Ingals, only the champion keeps the actual amount he or she wins. The second place finisher gets $2000, the third place finisher $1000.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

Heh. Like Tom isn't banking a nice check already. ;-) He had a really, really good run.

Real New Yorker

Real New Yorker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

Tom I'll miss ya.

DragonScribe thanks for replying to me about jump the shark.

Edited by Real New Yorker, Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:55 PM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:22 AM

Poor Tom, he only won about $184,000. Though, if he had got the answer right, he would have tied with a different champion. That would have been cool.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 1:11 PM

Heh. Like Tom isn't banking a nice check already.

Or actually, Tom will be banking a nice check in about 90 days. Heh.

And by the way, The Bell Jar is not an autobiography, it is autobiographical. Alex should be embarassed.