Coronation Street

• Please log in to reply

1424 replies to this topic

Tangerine

Tangerine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

We were supposed to cheer her disgusting treatment of the doctor just because he wanted her to go to school.

That was ridiculous. Were we supposed to be cheering when she immaturely dumped a pint over his head instead of calmly breaking up with him like an adult? Or when she saw it as a personal attack when the Doctor's ex happened to be at that dinner (News flash: he has exes and sometimes adults manage to still be friends with them), mind you the ex was totally baiting her and Tina just walked right into it. I remember when Tina first came on the show and she was actually a strong female; she was witty and clever but was still nice and compassionate. Now she's just plain rude and "why me?"

The writing for female characters has really been disappointing. Kirsty had a lot of potential but they decided to turn her into a bunny boiler. Tracy is as one-note as ever, Eileen is a doormat for that married fellow, and Maria just flits around in the background with her child. And don't get me started on what they've done to Carla because enough ink's been spilled on that. The only one that's remotely interesting lately is Kylie, but it seems she often takes a backseat to all of the Platt drama.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Here's something else that baffles me... Rita (a character I've always liked, probably because she's been there forever) and her relationship with Dennis.

We met the woman who Dennis jilted and she seemed so nice and caring and didn't expect more from Dennis than he could give. Yet Dennis seems content to stay with Rita. Rita is also loving and caring, but years older than the other woman. Not sure I buy that little bit of storyline, unless Dennis is just desperate to be back on his old street.

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

We were supposed to cheer her disgusting treatment of the doctor just because he wanted her to go to school.

I actually hated that "proud working class against education" stereotype in that storyline. Educated people aren't automatically snobs and being educated is not an elitist flaw. If the doctor thinks his girlfriend is smart enough to do more, why is that a bad thing?

Tangerine

Tangerine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Yet Dennis seems content to stay with Rita. Rita is also loving and caring, but years older than the other woman. Not sure I buy that little bit of storyline, unless Dennis is just desperate to be back on his old street.

I think I may have missed this episode, but did Dennis ever offer an explanation as to why he jilted her? If it was simply a matter of not being in love with her I can understand. And maybe he wants to stay with Rita because he has nowhere else to go? Perhaps he felt it wasn't fair to go back to the fiancee after he treated her so poorly.

If the doctor thinks his girlfriend is smart enough to do more, why is that a bad thing?

It's NOT a bad thing, which is what made Tina's reaction even more annoying. Sure, he probably went about it the wrong way by lying to force her into the interview at Nick's. And fine, if Tina doesn't have that ambition then that's entirely her choice. To be fair, she did tell him multiple times and it didn't seem to be getting through but instead of realizing that they're not right for each other and breaking up with him, she decided to make a big scene in the pub because she's petty and childish.

Tina's sudden lack of ambition is a bit out of character too. Wasn't it her idea to buy, renovate and flip flats for a higher price when she was with Jason?

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I think I may have missed this episode, but did Dennis ever offer an explanation as to why he jilted her? If it was simply a matter of not being in love with her I can understand. And maybe he wants to stay with Rita because he has nowhere else to go? Perhaps he felt it wasn't fair to go back to the fiancee after he treated her so poorly.

That woman kind of came out of nowhere. She met with Rita and Dennis to hash it out. Dennis admitted he was fond of her, but didn't love her and was frightened. The woman said she knew Dennis didn't love her, but wanted to marry him because she cared for him and had the financial ability to support him. Dennis left out of fear and ended up homeless.

It's kind of the same thing with Rita, isn't it? But Rita is much older, not that it matters, I guess. However, if he wants comfort, he could get it in both places.

On another note... Anna's adopted daughter, Faye... what a brat. It would make me think twice about taking in an older child.

Edited by bagatelle1, Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:51 PM.

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I loved Becky's exit. I've grown to like her over the years, the person she slowly turned into under the loving influence of Roy and Hayley. As far as soaps go, Becky is a stellar example of character development - over a believable time, and never a total transformation, her old demons never totally gone but always there, under the surface.I thought it was nice that finally something good happened to her, although it was a bit hollywoody. Sometimes we just need a feelgood story. And I've always hated Tracy, her fake smile, the glint in her beady eyes when she realizes she has the opportunity to hurt somebody - just for the heck of it. I wish somebody would take poor Amy away from her - Amy is the reason I can not completely gloat about Tracy's smackdown, because the poor kids always suffer when their immature, self centred, selfish and just plain evil parents screw up.

tiggertwo

tiggertwo

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Yes, that was a great exit for Becky. I'll miss her.

Does anyone else find it distracting when some of the actors are spray tanned? In the show yesterday, Tina was so orange, it completely distracted me. (I assume it's spray tanner.)

And is Rosie just taking some time off? Or has she left the show?

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

When did Audrey sign the salon over to David? I must have missed that. Can't imagine why she would have done that - David and his greedy wife will step over dead bodies for money. What possessed her?

Sissy BP

Sissy BP

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

I've only been watching Coronation Street for a little while now - I started watching just before the tram crashed.

I have read this whole thread but it has been a couple of months since I went through it.

Who is Simon's mother and what happened to her?

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Simon's mother was Lucy. Peter married her while they were having an affair. He then married a woman named Shelley, and went back and forth until they found out the truth. She took Simon and moved to Australia. About five years later, Peter learned she had died, and had left Simon to him. Peter had no interest in Simon until he learned that he would get a ton of money if he raised Simon. Peter agreed, and bought the bookies. (Peter had been off the show from the time of the bigamy exposure to the time he came back with Simon, aside from some brief visits).

A few years later, Lucy's parents showed up and tried to kidnap Simon, but when he made it back home, they realized they were wrong and gave up. He has no contact with them.

It's hard to believe Peter and Carla were once two of my favorite characters. Peter makes me sick now, and Carla is the most pathetic loser on the show - she lives in a hovel and is perpetually terrified, all over an abusive drunk who treats her like garbage, and a little boy who hates her. I always hear about this great wit of Carla's and her wonderful strength and all the rest - she has become far worse than anything she ever hated Maria for. Maria now seems like a feminist icon in comparison.

The more they try to make viewers hate Leanne for these two leeches the more I just tune the entire show out, which isn't hard to do these days.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

It's hard to believe Peter and Carla were once two of my favorite characters. Peter makes me sick now, and Carla is the most pathetic loser on the show - she lives in a hovel and is perpetually terrified, all over an abusive drunk who treats her like garbage, and a little boy who hates her. I always hear about this great wit of Carla's and her wonderful strength and all the rest - she has become far worse than anything she ever hated Maria for. Maria now seems like a feminist icon in comparison.

The more they try to make viewers hate Leanne for these two leeches the more I just tune the entire show out, which isn't hard to do these days.

Agreed overall although I never saw Carla as particularly strong. The only time she ever came across that way was in her marriage to Paul before he was killed off less then a year after her arrival. From then on her two main storylines were the exact same storyline - leeching onto married men and acting like a desperate hag until they eventually fall for her "charms". We're also supposed to see the married mens wives aka Maria and Leanne as the assholes in the situation and root for Poor Carla.

When they can't make a character sypathetic via a rape storyline, that's when it's time to stop trying.

Mind you, I hate Peter more. What a snivelling pathetic mess. Making Simon choose Leanne over him twice? Dick!

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Many congrats to Gail and Deidre on their brief appearances in the Olympic opening ceremony!

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

So happy Peter and Carla are gone. They worked my last nerve.

Not sure about nuRyan. Can 2 years of uni-partying really turn a decent kid into an amoral jerk?? And I think he looks too old for 20...why did they re-cast him?

And why is it that all the kids on the street get thrown out of uni, anyway? Can we have one or two successful graduates, maybe? That entire age group is totally under-achieving. Why is a smart kid like Sophie working in a shop and living at home?

I'm getting awfully tired of Stella throwing Karl out, making a huge spectacle, (how many times has she thrown his stuff out of a window??)and then taking him back. Let's hope this time is the final one.

Sunita is a mental case. Don't get her at all. Does she even know what she wants? What did she think getting caught would achieve? Weird. And she has zero consideration, let alone love, for her kids. The whole SL is depressing. Her pouty princess routine, his flip-flopping between groveling and bragging - pathetic and annoying.

Mary and Roy are hilarious. "Fellow Sophisticates!" Love it.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Not sure about nuRyan. Can 2 years of uni-partying really turn a decent kid into an amoral jerk?? And I think he looks too old for 20...why did they re-cast him?

I don't know, I remember in the characters last few storylines before he went off to college he displayed the potential to be a bit of an asshat. I'm fine with the recasting, I thought the old actor was like watching paint dry.

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I don't know, I remember in the characters last few storylines before he went off to college he displayed the potential to be a bit of an asshat. I'm fine with the recasting, I thought the old actor was like watching paint dry.

Was he? I don't remember his SL's that much. I just thought he was a kid who knew right from wrong, and now he doesn't. As for the re-cast, the old actor was 5 years younger than the new one, and it shows. I think he looks too old, especially since his mother is very young looking.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I hope that this show gets back to the interesting story lines and characters that made me start watching in the first place and stop with the constant pregnancies. That's a lazy, unimaginative writing ploy for when they don't know what else to do with a character or their story line. For lack of a better explanation, to me, it's so American and I say that because American soaps do it constantly. It's 2012 people, not 1950. Contraception is available and how irresponsible for them to write in Chesney and his child bride having a kid at their ages. Who the hell is still with the guy they were with at at that age? Just ridiculous!

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

One of the reasons I've lost interest in Corrie (aside from the earlier years) is the Americanization of the show. I say that as an American who got tired of American soaps because of what is now all over Corrie - constant pregnancies, extremely weak female characters, a constant cycle of hostage crises and disasters and kidnappings, sleazy, pointless affairs, horrible pacing which rushes through buildup to have a shrill climax, casting actors who are far too old in pivotal roles, allowing vile criminals to run riot without facing any consequences, generic "bad boys" who have all the charisma of a dead fly.

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

I watched a bit of Coronation Street out of curiosity, but the storylines seem to verging in the direction of those horrible old American soaps. I kind of think it is interesting to do a domestic abuse story with a male victim, but unfortunately it has not been executed well at all.

No matter how badly the women are treated, there they are with open arms and open legs, ready for more abuse.

I agree, although that seems IMO true with some of the male characters as well. At least with Tyrone and Dev.

Edited by jtenny123, Aug 28, 2012 @ 12:54 PM.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

One of the reasons I've lost interest in Corrie (aside from the earlier years) is the Americanization of the show. I say that as an American who got tired of American soaps because of what is now all over Corrie - constant pregnancies, extremely weak female characters, a constant cycle of hostage crises and disasters and kidnappings, sleazy, pointless affairs, horrible pacing which rushes through buildup to have a shrill climax, casting actors who are far too old in pivotal roles, allowing vile criminals to run riot without facing any consequences, generic "bad boys" who have all the charisma of a dead fly.

Word. It's almost like (now notice I said almost)Corrie is turning into a British Young And The Restless and I again emphasize "almost" because Corrie has not reached that insultingly stupid level and I hope it never does but about a year ago, I became so disgusted with the increasingly lame story lines and especially all this sudden obsession with procreation that I stopped watching for a year. It was just asinine - you had characters like Becky, a tough street smart who suddenly starts moaning about wanting to become a mother.WTF?!! Then Becky's skanky sister, decides to sell Becky her kid. Then Anna, who has a grown son, suddenly decides that she wants to adopt. Tracey and Steve have a boozy one-nighter and guess what happens? Thank God she lost them because otherwise the show would have again lost me. Can't these writers come up with anything remotely interesting that DOESN'T involve a fucking pregnancy/and or kid? I mean, really!

Ditto with the female characters being stupid, spineless doormats. Fizz marries and yes, gets knocked up by a psychopath. No matter how badly the women are treated, there they are with open arms and open legs, ready for more abuse.

Homily

Homily

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Wow I hadn't really clued into how many baby related storylines there have been in the last couple of years - and no sign of it slowing down any time soon. It really is annoying as hell. And what is it with every woman who gives birth on this street having a temporary crazy lady period? Not every woman gets the baby blues. Well except if you give birth on Coronation Street of course.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

Steve Blackburn is replacing Phil Collinson as producer.

Blackburn has spent the last few years ruining Emmerdale, although he's mostly been carrying out the damage which was started by Gavin Blythe.

On the other hand, Phil Collinson has taken most of what made Corrie special (genuine humor, strong and complex female characters, solid stories which build over time) and destroyed it, possibly beyond repair.

Instead of focusing on Blackburn's failures, I'll just remember Collinson.

The good:

- bringing in Stephanie Cole, and actually managing to create a decent character for her
- bringing back Dennis Tanner, one of Corrie's best ever characters
- stopping the stories about Gail's misery
- bringing back Charlie Condou, a very talented and likeable actor who left the first time around because he had no role beyond being Sean's toy
- the Kirsty story, which is as poorly paced as everything else on this show, but which is at least trying to tackle a serious issue in a non-exploitive way, which makes sense for Tyrone's character, and which has ramifications on many other characters

The bad:

- continuing to focus on dead end characters, played by incompetent actors
- a shocking inability to bring in new characters, with laughably bad casting decisions over and over (sleepytime Frank Foster who read every line like he was waiting to go home, Rob the doughiest, blandest "ladies' man" ever, creepy Nick Cotton lookalike Karl, Tony Hurst, who was wonderful on Hollyoaks, as creepy, boring, pathetic Paul, who was desperate to dump his ill wife for a new honey, Michelle Collins as deadly dull Stella, who after over a year still has no believable relationship or tie to the canvas, the wonderful Sue Johnston as the unlikeable, useless Gloria, 30 year old looking Ryan Connor, 30 year old looking Chris Fountain as "18 year old" Tommy Duckworth, when there are no Duckworths left, aside from tired panto horse Terry who returned to play out the same bad story he'd already had ten times.)
- a need to force characters on viewers not because of public support, but because of some idea that they are "the new ___." Kym Marsh knowing how to do the PR game does not mean she's Pat Phoenix. Michelle Keegan getting photos in the papers and winning generic "sexiest female" awards does not mean Tina is anything but a vile, self-righteous, dour harridan, one who is so unlikeable that she made viewers root for husband-batterer Kirsty.
- babies, babies, babies, babies.
- a complete lack of charismatic or entertaining couples. At the moment the only ones I can think of are Kirk and the kinder, gentler Cilla, and maybe gay Marcus and BFF Maria. Three years of nothing.

The ugly:

- a total lack of respect for Corrie's history. Bringing back Dennis Tanner for no apparent reason other than to occasionally have scenes with Rita. He has such a rich, wonderful past with Corrie. I still can't believe they brought him back for this. The horrible decision to have Deirdre overlook Tracy admitting to planning Charlie's murder, and to make Deirdre a ridiculous joke of a character. Deirdre and Ken have been on this show for generations - why have they become cheap punch lines? Then there was Jim McDonald returning for some sort of bank robbing story just to give Liz a rushed exit. And worst of all, Betty's funeral, which had no returns other than her son, which had characters like Kylie whom we were supposed to laugh with as they scorned Betty's memory, and which had the insulting rewrite of Betty owning the Rovers for decades, which meant that she sat back and watched her best friend, Bet Lynch, leave town in shame when no one would help her buy the pub.

- deeply offensive "social issue" stories. Alzheimers is nothing more than a plot device to make Eileen some object of pity. How awful for her that she has to put up with her married boyfriend's wife - what a burden to her. But don't worry, we'll kill her off for shock value and then Eileen can be happy. And of course the Frank Foster story, which taught viewers a) if a man tries to sexually assault a woman (Maria), then it might just be her "crying rape", and b) if a woman is raped, then she will almost immediately find a hot relationship with a new man, and said relationship will be used to destroy her in court. But don't worry - the rapist's mother will suddenly kill him and hold a random person hostage, so you'll still get your justice. These stories were endlessly touted as educating the public. They were dangerous, and they were trash.

- character destruction run riot. Before Collinson, Carla was one of my favorite characters. Now she's a complete failure in business and in life in general. Giving her tedious Ronnie Mitchell trauma stories and removing any humor, personality, or spark she ever had, all for a constant parade of melodrama and a relationship with a drunk, weird deadbeat. Said deadbeat, Peter, was one of my favorite characters until Collinson. Now I will likely never watch any of his scenes again. He's abusive, obsessive, one-note, and he just plain sucks. He was willing to go to jail for decades, and abandon his son, all because of his insta-love for Carla, the woman he treats like garbage most of the time. Then there's Leanne, who was systematically ruined to try to make fans care about the two drunk losers, and who is only viable at this point because of Jane Danson. How can I forget the Webster family, who for some reason won "story of the year" for garbage which made Sally look like a hypocrite, made Kevin look like a deadbeat and a jerk, made Sophie and Rosie into annoying, shrill brats, and then collapsed after less than a year, leaving the family with no stories at all, unless you count Groundhog Day sagas where Sally fell for weird men who conned her (and in some cases groped at her daughter). This family could have carried Corrie for a new era. Now, thanks to Collinson, would you really miss what's left of them if they all left?

- awful pacing. Even if I cared about coma patient Owen and his unbelievable relationship with Anna, I still wouldn't be involved in the Gary/Izzy/Tina baby story, because it all happened in about two weeks. Why are you in such a rush when you have five episodes a week? The same went for Stella's arrival and her being Leanne's mother. Why did this need to happen so quickly? I've heard people say that it's great to not see stories dragged out, but wouldn't you rather have a story which builds over time than something which ends in a month so you can see yet another hospital stay?

- nasty tone. The show's only humor often feels forced and silly. The show seems to prefer a much harsher form of humor, whether it is Kylie and her "jokes," laughing at Deirdre, laughing at Tina as she pours a drink over her boyfriend's head for little reason, and anything with toxic waste dump Tracy.

- Easter episode. The biggest turd I can ever remember on Corrie. I still have no idea what that was about, other than to make viewers hate Todd Grimshaw so much that they would never want to see him again. Bonus points for random Gail homophobia.

Edited by O2Sean, Oct 9, 2012 @ 3:10 AM.

tiggertwo

tiggertwo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Wow, great summary of what's been going wrong with this show. I hope the new producer can turn things around.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

Bill Tarmey has passed away. RIP to a true Corrie legend.

http://www.digitalsp...es-aged-71.html

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I can't imagine Corrie without thinking of Jack. Jack had so many different sides, and Bill Tarmey played them all to a tee. From a complete cad, to a loving husband, a man who knew he'd failed as a father, but never allowed himself to bathe in sentiment or guilt. Bill and Liz Dawn were a perfect partnership, and Jack was one of those characters who was fantastic in comedy, in drama, or even just sitting in the background. Sometimes as characters age they seem out of place, but Jack never did. Not once.

My favorite moment.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Ugh Tonight in Canada we had what is possibly the worst proposal in television history Nick emotionally blackmails and badgers Leanne into accepting his proposal. Here's a clue for you Nick she really doesn't love you as much as she does Peter, it probably has something to do with the fact that you emotionally abuse her until you get your way.
Spoiler
Say what you will of Peter he was weak but he was only ever that vile with a bottle in his hand.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I don't particularly like Nick but I do think his intentions are on the right track. I just don't understand why he has to have it happen so quickly. Leannes marriage was perfect (in her eyes) this time last year. Now she's divorced and has a child to take into account.

Also, I like Leanne but I wish she'd stop being such a cow to Eva.

lulu 77

lulu 77

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Am I the only one who finds the Tyrone/Kirsty SL disturbing and unnecessarily violent?

While I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish here, with the gender role switch a nice twist, this has been dragging on and nothing gets resolved, it is just Tyrone being miserable. This is a character who had his share of misery already during the Molly/tram crash SL and could use a break. Just like the endless suffering of Fiz during the John Stape/prison SL - why do some charcters get more and more of the same?

There's very little upbeat stuff happening at the moment, and very little comedy. Now why is that?

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

No idea, I'm wondering if they're ever going to give Tommy a storyline outside of being boring and miserable with Tina. He had a bit of personality when he first arrived and now it's all been sucked out of him since he lost all his money etc. Now that he's working with Kevin I hope they give him a chance to put down some roots and interact with characters outside of Tina.

Latest Affair Plot

Spoiler

Edited by Chas411, Dec 9, 2012 @ 6:40 PM.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

I find the beating of Tyrone to be too violent too. Now that he's taken Ruby and left she's going to kill him when she finds him. Doesn't matter that usually domestic abuse is against the woman in the relationship but to me violence is violence and this is too much.

The two actors are very convincing and are doing quite a job with this storyline.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

So Peter and Carla are back. Peter is still a smug and selfish git while Carla is still as pathetic as ever.